AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-07-17, 12:37   Link #32941
Shigan
Forever a Journey

So the ball's in my court? This might be no three-pointer, but hey, butter!Yui needs to be buttered. Slowly and patiently.

Aaaand we're here! The finale! This finishes my first contribution to the Hayate x Vivio Files. This was a nice story to write, mostly because I got to write what I really enjoyed while deathcurse plunged into the stuff I would have had enourmous difficulties writing. Thanks mate! *writer-fist*

What more to say? I'll be writing more, no point in jumping ship now when I've helped to set so many things in motion. Also, I do recommend you to re-read Part 5: One Mama Laughs Best if you cannot recall what happened. Things We Tame were written to be read as a one-shot to begin with and I think that it generally flows better if you read two or three parts in one go.

Now, onwards! To brave new skies!

The Things We Tame
By Shigan

'Men have forgotten this truth,' said the fox. 'But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.'
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Previous parts:

Prelude: Not Today
Part 1: Team Takamachi
Part 2: When I Get Home There had Better Be Kisses
part 3: Headbands
part 4: Mama Knows Best
Part 5: The Other Mama Laughs Best

Spoiler for Duty's Call:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files

Last edited by Shigan; 2011-11-05 at 10:04.
Shigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 13:30   Link #32942
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
You may swear now and later if you wish?
So many options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiseppe View Post
Spoiler for Playing with Fire:
My imagination thanks you for the image, and has no problem figuring out what happens next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
So the ball's in my court? This might be no three-pointer, but hey, butter!Yui needs to be buttered. Slowly and patiently.

Aaaand we're here! The finale! This finishes my first contribution to the Hayate x Vivio Files. This was a nice story to write, mostly because I got to write what I really enjoyed while deathcurse plunged into the stuff I would have had enourmous difficulties writing. Thanks mate! *writer-fist*

What more to say? I'll be writing more, no point in jumping ship now when I've helped to set so many things in motion. Also, I do recommend you to re-read Part 5: One Mama Laughs Best if you cannot recall what happened. Things We Tame were written to be read as a one-shot to begin with and I think that it generally flows better if you read two or three parts in one go.

The Things We Tame
By Shigan

'Men have forgotten this truth,' said the fox. 'But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.'
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Previous parts:

Part 5: One Mama Laughs Best

Spoiler for Duty's Call:

A good ending for an excellent story. I liked how in the end, Hayate came to see Vivio off, and how Vivio had all of the answers she needed; also liked the nice touch of her team finally finding out who she was with, and simply accepting it as it was. It shows just how much they trust and care about Vivio, to not let it bother them. Will we be seeing more of them? I rather liked them.

Also, I now demand a short where Hayate actually gets Vivio into a French maid uniform, because it would be hilarious.

Last edited by RadiantBeam; 2011-07-17 at 14:34.
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 13:59   Link #32943
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Hey guys! You miss me?

*Crickets chirp*

...Huh, guess not.

Red

Yagami

Spoiler for Blood That Flows - Peak - Mid Start:
If Regius still dies I see a massive roaring rampage of revenge just a few minutes after. Relationships are becoming stronger, mere allies are becoming friends and an unbeatable fighting force is being slowy forged and tempered in the firece flames of war.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 14:07   Link #32944
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

Hard to imagine that it all started from one, simple story. Not even Vivio/Hayate, just a joke on the idea, and now it actually grew solid. Wow.You and dc make an amazing pair for the V/H files; care to start ringing wedding bells? xD
Old 2011-07-17, 14:08   Link #32945
blissfullyunaware

yuiseppe- great picture as always.

shigan-very nice end. You managed to show Vivio's maturity, and a little bit of Hayate's vulnerability (not the word I want, but thanks to numerous birthday shots I can't think of a better one at the moment). Anyways, it was a good read.
blissfullyunaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 16:26   Link #32946
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuiseppe View Post
This. The clone of the most revered Sankt Kaiser is the normal one of the bunch.

Do not apologise. It didn't last long. My inner-pervert-old-man won out pretty easily after all. Granted, this had been boiling for weeks now... thanks to you guys here... *glares*

Spoiler for Playing with Fire:

Shigan, the ball is officially in your court now.
Quote:

The Things We Tame
By Shigan

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Previous parts:

Part 5: One Mama Laughs Best

Spoiler for Duty's Call:

It is officially a good day for fans of this series! Yui's art is, as always, and that was a nice wrap-up to this segment of the series, Shigan. I especially like that you spent considerable time inside Vivio's head for this story, which itself makes a nice balance for deathcurse's story since that one centers around Hayate as POV character.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 17:08   Link #32947
Kagerou
"Begin, the operation!"
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Kagerou
Not to be rude, and I'm not, but I just don't like Vivio as a character. I dunno maybe she becomes better in Vivid but by the end of StrikerS I felt about the same for Vivio as I do for any other character I find annoying: I want them out of the story. I understand that Vivio was integral to the plot of StrikerS, but I just can't bring myself to like her at all; her character design seems nothing more to me than an intentional way to try and cash in on the moeblob craze at the time.

That said, everyone has their own opinions; if you like Vivio, that's great!

I bring this up because of all the Hayate/Vivio going on right now. Reading it... I dunno I'm still not sold on her. The stories are fine as they are, but I think I would just like them better if it was someone else other than Vivio.

I'm not bashing any of you for writing it, though, so please don't take this the wrong way. Different strokes, yeah? Heh. If you like what you're writing , then by all means write it! Love what you're writing, that's most important of all! I'm not going to read your story and go "omg fail HayaVivio trolololol". That's not my style after all

But this is coming from the guy who's convinced that Nanoha is straight, Hayate is bi, and Fate is only gay for Nanoha , so take anything I say how you will.

EDIT: For all of you that do like Vivio, help me not hate her? :3
Old 2011-07-17, 19:44   Link #32948
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

I just like the story; for characters I've always liked they are Nanoha (For her monologues in the original series, and since then I grew kinda attached to her) and Hayate (The heck with the low screen time she's getting, how unfair!), Fate for the art (Yes I'm not too impressed with her after A, and even before she's feels kinda... floaty. Lack of sufficient focus on the character) and Vita for destroying everything. The others hold no special place.

If you try to ignore Vivio in the original series and just focus on these stories, it should work. Vivio's character to me seems like an attempt to return to the old style Magical Girl (Or just imagine cartoons for kids below 10) where the MCs are hyper cheerful, optimistic, innocent (Considering dear Vivio beats up her mama and most people would never do that unto our deaths, not so much, but still), possess superhuman powers transcending humanity and monsters etc etc.

Perhaps the writer found too much angst in almost every main characters and tried to balance it with Vivio. Who knows.
Old 2011-07-17, 19:48   Link #32949
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
Not to be rude, and I'm not, but I just don't like Vivio as a character. I dunno maybe she becomes better in Vivid but by the end of StrikerS I felt about the same for Vivio as I do for any other character I find annoying: I want them out of the story. I understand that Vivio was integral to the plot of StrikerS, but I just can't bring myself to like her at all; her character design seems nothing more to me than an intentional way to try and cash in on the moeblob craze at the time.

That said, everyone has their own opinions; if you like Vivio, that's great!

I bring this up because of all the Hayate/Vivio going on right now. Reading it... I dunno I'm still not sold on her. The stories are fine as they are, but I think I would just like them better if it was someone else other than Vivio.

I'm not bashing any of you for writing it, though, so please don't take this the wrong way. Different strokes, yeah? Heh. If you like what you're writing , then by all means write it! Love what you're writing, that's most important of all! I'm not going to read your story and go "omg fail HayaVivio trolololol". That's not my style after all

But this is coming from the guy who's convinced that Nanoha is straight, Hayate is bi, and Fate is only gay for Nanoha , so take anything I say how you will.

EDIT: For all of you that do like Vivio, help me not hate her? :3
... actually, I've never cared for Vivio either. I always got the uncomfortable impression you could replace her in the plot of StrikerS with a Lost Logia without really changing the plot significantly, and that's never good in my book.

That said, I really like what some of the authors on this forum have done with Vivio (Dezo's 'Steel Queen' series being the eternal front-runner. Amazing writing. ). I just don't find the character herself appealing.
Old 2011-07-17, 19:57   Link #32950
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Well I once wrote in the Vivid manga thread that Vivio is one of the least interesting character there (despite it being her series ), aaand...well I must confess she never really interest me here either. I guess whether it's fanon or canon, what's interesting for me are those who interact with her (and how!) instead of Vivio herself

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
"You either die a hero, or live long enough to become the villain." Most pick option A.
Well that certainly seems to be what had happened with Clyde and Graham

Uh oh. *casts suspecting glances at Lindy, Leti and Genya*
Old 2011-07-17, 20:04   Link #32951
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Admittedly, I find Vivio daunting to write simply because I don't really care about her either way. I like her as a character and I think she has a lot of potential to develop and grow with the right person handling her, I just don't tend to think I do her very well at all. It's part of the reason why Lutecia is more or less the main character of Shadowverse and why I'm dreading having to develop Vivio further once "Ascension" kicks off.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:15   Link #32952
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Vivio -is- a bit of a wildcard. She literally has no personality in StrikerS so if you want to keep the characterization canon, well, good luck. I found the HxV Files a rather easy write mostly due to that deathcurse handled a superb characterization of her in her two initial shorts, all I did was move on from there.

On the other hand, looking at Vivio's canon characterization is never truly a good way to write her. Most of the people who've done longer works on her have cast her in an age of approximately 15, give or take a few years. In my case here, she's 19. The age difference compared to the crybaby we see in StrikerS demands a little imagination from both the writer and the reader's part. ^_^ The good thing is you can write Vivio in very different way, and depending on your skill as a writer, can still make her work.
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Old 2011-07-17, 20:18   Link #32953
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Vivio -is- a bit of a wildcard. She literally has no personality in StrikerS so if you want to keep the characterization canon, well, good luck. I found the HxV Files a rather easy write mostly due to that deathcurse handled a superb characterization of her in her two initial shorts, all I did was move on from there.

On the other hand, looking at Vivio's canon characterization is never truly a good way to write her. Most of the people who've done longer works on her have cast her in an age of approximately 15, give or take a few years. In my case here, she's 19. The age difference compared to the crybaby we see in StrikerS demands a little imagination from both the writer and the reader's part. ^_^ The good thing is you can write Vivio in very different way, and depending on your skill as a writer, can still make her work.
Unless you're me, where I just make her a side character.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:18   Link #32954
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Then the question is why did you use her at all? If you don't care about someone no one will blame you for ignoring them. There's plenty of characters I haven't written about because I feel no need to.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:19   Link #32955
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Ironically enough, Nanoha somewhat suffers the same effect. I mean, hell, she didn't get any actual character development or personal crisis until StrikerS.

Sorta like Vivio is right now.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:21   Link #32956
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Ironically enough, Nanoha somewhat suffers the same effect. I mean, hell, she didn't get any actual character development or personal crisis until StrikerS.
Well, she did have that life-threatening injury that apparently crippled her somewhat, but we actually don't see much of that except for when it's relevant to Teana's character development, if I remember correctly. Honestly, sometimes I feel like Nanoha's strongest character trait is that, well, she supports other characters.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:37   Link #32957
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I feel like Nanoha's strongest character trait is that, well, she supports other characters.
This ^_^. Funny, I always thought Subaru was the main character in StrikerS and not Nanoha. She just sorta ninja'd the show.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:42   Link #32958
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
This ^_^. Funny, I always thought Subaru was the main character in StrikerS and not Nanoha. She just sorta ninja'd the show.
Well, Subaru and Teana did get the most focus and/or character development of StrikerS, when compared to all of the new characters who showed up.
Old 2011-07-17, 20:44   Link #32959
Justin_Brett

Well, Vivio was like 6 in StrikerS, and had been basically engineered to be a weapon and nothing else, so her having little personality sort of makes sense. Even after Nanoha first meets her, they're together what, a couple days? Can't exactly get much there. Probably why she's the main character of ViVid, really.

And I mentioned this before, but Nanoha can be considered a Supporting Protagonist (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ingProtagonist), since most of her purpose in the series is affecting other people with her actions.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 20:54   Link #32960
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post

Sorta like Vivio is right now.
Ah, but even Nanoha had one trait, her virtue as well as vice, that made her more memorable than her adopted daughter: her chronic hero syndrome . For the sake of helping others she would go to the extremes whether it be training or actual combat.

Vivio doesn't even have that.
Spoiler for Spoiler for Vivid:

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha