Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-08, 10:53   Link #4161
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
That's just nonsense. They've clearly hinted at a Yang/Blake pairing in the show, the way they've written it makes that clear, not to mention the stuff they've done outside the show itself.
Idk what you mean by clearly. Are you saying if a guy is super important to me, that also means I want their penis?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 13:35   Link #4162
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
lol first Hibike Euphonium and now the RWBY thread when vol 4 hasn't even started.
Kyoani is legendary at their baiting. It is a known and expected fact. Not to mention that it is expected out of japanese products because literally all "yuri" is now is baiting, due to social and cultural issues.

RWBY is a western post-Korra, post-Netflix show that exists in the market that is not dependent on channels and production comittee executives. So when the show keeps adding a very clear subtext to a same sex relationship, people expect better than baiting and vague non-answers that were heard before. And when they receive same non answers, they have the right to be cautious and fearful of show's actual intentions.

If V4 does actually change something, then great! Many people worried about this would be HAPPY to be proven wrong. They want to be proven wrong because it would put their fears to rest and actually legitimize what the show has been doing. Till that happens, though....
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 14:54   Link #4163
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Arkos had clear development through the series, and had a clear unambiguous resolution before it ended.

Bumblebee has also had clear development, and people are afraid that it's going to get some vague resolution, and all that development was just bait to get LGBT fans to become fans.
State your sources, PLEASE!

Quote:
You are acting like their scenes were NOT meant to be shipping fuel.
Noooo, they were not. Winter holds a high rank in Ironwood's army, Qrow is a powerful solo huntsman. Their clash of power is a direct clash of authority - as well as ideals - for the world to see. You just HAVE TO throw it all out and make it a stupid ship, don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
Being denied the right to be represented or denied the right to exist. Its not politics. It is the inherent right of every human being.
RWBY has no shark people, RT hate sharks!!!!!!!!! They clearly have all other kinds of faunus people!

Quote:
Hetero-pairings are expected to be shippable via a simple glance.
NO, they are NOT. Just because someone is a guy and someone else is a girl does not mean they have to be together. It's the rabid fans who call upon rule #34 and say, I thought about it, NOW it is a thing! It may not apply to each and every situation, but it sure as hell counts for most.

Quote:
Yet LGBT pairings require "care" and unless the writer bluntly beats the audience with it being an actual pairing, a lot of people will maintain ignorance of it. That IS double standards. And that IS what Miles Luna is doing.
You are seeing things. You coin a term and feel like you can apply it wherever you want. You can't do that and expect people, or at the very least me, to take you seriously. Your arguments are basically, if there is romance involved but NOT LGBT romance, it's blatant discrimination, because everyone must write equal romance, otherwise I get angry!

Quote:
You mean except for the fact that SSSN exists, that most of romance in RWBY was developed DURING the tense situations and that the narrative subtext is clearly intent in pushing romances there and here?
SSSN is the first team outside of Beacon. They show up in Vol. 3. A boatload of other teams appear in Vol. 3...but sure, SSSN are just boytoys made up of sugar and fanservice. Why bother to consider international relationships and public affairs when we have PROM NIGHT!? Also, do you know why it's called subtext? Because it is NOT text. I don't give two shits about it, and just like you have a lot of people backing your opinion, you can be sure as hell I have a whole lot more backing mine.

Quote:
That is your perspective. Not the narrative's, though.
You are not the author of RWBY, so you are in no position to comment on their behalf.

Quote:
there's very clear queercoding subtext between her and blake(I mean seriously, Adam's "everything you love starting with her" could not be any clearer of queerbait subtext line even if the writers tried to make it baitier)
That's the last straw you could grasp, you can't seriously expect anyone to agree with it. They are roommates, they are on the same team, Yang is possibly one of Blake's first friends after she quit the white fang. You may think it's alright to shoot their friendship in the foot because you WANT them to be a romantic couple, but guess what...forcing that on others is unbelievably offensive, not just to the people, but also to the characters' development.

Quote:
Again,
Now in normal world where no agendas or marketing ploys impact stories, what could be assumed is:
- Ruby is too damaged by her psychological trauma to care about that but might eventually
- Weiss stuff was just a random crush without any sort of real feelings.
- Blake is just distracted having her kind near her and Sun is just very uncomfortably acting idiot.

However that was not narrative intent.
Because by the same logic, Yang/Blake has almost as much romantic development as Jaune/Pyrrha and yet that is something writers pretend to never have been intentional.
Once again, you don't write the narration, you don't get to call what is or isn't intended foreshadowing. All you get to do is make your own interpretation of the series. Don't pose as the person who knows everything about the intentions of the script writer, because you clearly don't.

Quote:
this IS part of the topic.
It is, but a very small one. You're creating storms out of nothing, though, and that's not very nice. I only see you and a couple others preaching about it here. You got your opinions, and you have every right to voice them, but don't expect everyone to sympathize. After this tedious conversation, I no longer have any interest in the topic.

Think twice before posting about this drivel again. I, at the very least, will most certainly not grace you with an answer. See you all again at the end of Vol. 4.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2016-10-08 at 15:25.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 15:21   Link #4164
DMurphy

As a side note, Endscape did not coin any of these terms, Kafriel.

I'm sorry if you haven't heard them before, but these terms have been around for a while now (queerbaiting has been around a few years, at least, queercoding can be traced back a lot further), and the concepts behind them have been around in sociolinguistics for much, much longer - Leslie Fiedler was writing about the idea way back in the sixties, and Michel Foucault not long after.

The interesting thing is, none of you should have a problem with these things being discussed. If you don't care about it, then that's your prerogative, even if I think it's a misguided one, but that's not what's going on here: You do care about this, obviously -- at the very least, you care about people not talking about it, because several of you are trying really hard to shut down any kind of discussion on it, in a way that suggests you're just uncomfortable with the topic.

But honestly, unless you believe that Rooster Teeth cannot cope with criticism -- in which case, you shouldn't be criticising them for anything -- you should be able to shrug and go "Well, this is a subject I'm obviously uninformed on, and it's not one that really concerns or interests me, but clearly a lot of people are concerned by it."

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 16:49   Link #4165
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Who said anything about a conspiracy and mass hysteria? Because it most certainly wasn't me. I have not told anyone to "shut up" either. If you're going to go the whole "being condescending while putting words in people's mouths" route, then I'm out. This tangent has gone on way longer than it should have anyway.

I have no interest in becoming your make believe villain.

Last edited by Dengar; 2016-10-08 at 17:02.
Old 2016-10-08, 16:58   Link #4166
RDNexus

I'm of the mind that if there's to be any specific LGBT content, we should wait for Vol4 to see if RT really ends up doing it or not.
Regardless of the setting, any kind of romantic content should be within the scope of creators. Because romance is (usually) a constant in humans' lives.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 17:01   Link #4167
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Who said anything about a conspiracy and mass hysteria? Because it most certainly wasn't me. And if you're going to go the whole "being condescending while putting words in people's mouths" route, then I'm out. This tangent has gone on way longer than it should have anyway.
It is what you and everyone else are implying, though. You might not mean to, but whether you mean to or not isn't really relevant: When you start talking about how everything you like gets hit by these accusations, or in other people's case how everyone involved is 'delusional', that is the territory you're entering.

I understand if you don't want to continue, though! I was trying to scale these ideas down into as non-threatening a form as possible so that you (and others) would maybe not find so -- threatening? Uncomfortable? But I can see that didn't work.

I do think you should try, in your own time, to examine why you're so threatened -- I'm sure you'll claim you're not, but c'mon. C'mon. We both know that's not true -- by the idea of this being discussed, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick
I'm of the mind that if there's to be any specific LGBT content, we should wait for Vol4 to see if RT really ends up doing it or not.
Regardless of the setting, any kinds of romantic content should be within the scope of creators. Because romance is (usually) a constant in humans' lives.
I mean, tbf, I don't think you're necessarily wrong there. Some people probably won't budge on the subject, but either way, it'll be pretty illuminating.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 18:00   Link #4168
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

After clearing the most recent number of posts this is a warning to keep all posts on topic and attacking members is uncalled for an against the rules. If it continues infractions will be handed out.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 19:26   Link #4169
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I think people are reading too much into the supposed pairings of this series. The only romance I can see so far is Sun's (possibly one-sided?) attraction toward Blake and the doomed Arkos pairing. Bumblebee was created by the fans before the two people involved even really interacted, and has been played with by the writers as a result, but there hasn't been any more development on it beyond what would also be explained by two friends who care deeply for each other. Not every friendship, no matter the genders or sexual affinities involved, has to involve romance. There might be something with Neptune and Weiss, but I think he's more of a (wannabe) ladies-man, and she's too involved in family stuff for anything to come from it.

And there could be narrative reasons for why we haven't seen any LGBT relationships yet. For instance, said impending relationships might not have all of their components yet. RWBY has not been shy about adding new characters to the mix, and there's nothing to suggest that, say, Ren's (just as an example) hunk of a soulmate isn't waiting to be introduced this season, or that Cardin hasn't yet come to terms with his unexpected attraction to one of his teammates. Just because Remnant society as a whole doesn't have a problem with LGBT relationships doesn't mean that they're any more common than they are in our world (especially given the lower population), or that individuals aren't brought up with expectation of being attracted to the opposite sex.

And if this is going to be a topic of discussion, can we get a glossary on all these queer-[insert verb] terms? Like most identity politics terms, they aren't always self-explanatory. Not all of us took gender studies in college, or frequent forums where this stuff is discussed.
Old 2016-10-08, 21:08   Link #4170
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Idk what you mean by clearly. Are you saying if a guy is super important to me, that also means I want their penis?
Ahhhhh............what?

I think Yang and Blake have only been teased. Only Juan and Pyrrha. Other characters like Nora have been shown to have one sided crushes (at least so far). Poor Nora. Everything else is just fan shipping.

As for gay characters, are there any confirmed gay character on RWBY? As far as we know, they are all straight.
Old 2016-10-08, 21:22   Link #4171
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I feel like I need one of those refillable tubs of popcorn to read this thread. It's like the pre-season jitters are getting to people. Just falling apart here.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 00:56   Link #4172
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Good news everyone.
Viz Media will be publishing the RWBY manga in english.
Old 2016-10-09, 01:19   Link #4173
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Expect the first chapter to come out 5 years from now.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 03:02   Link #4174
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I mean, tbf, I don't think you're necessarily wrong there. Some people probably won't budge on the subject, but either way, it'll be pretty illuminating.
Oh I think it will be great if the fears are proven wrong and Vol4 has some sort of progress.

Alas RT has said something similar before every volume and we only got intentional ship baiting They said the same about representation before Vol2 and then proceeded to add Team SSSN too.
When the author says something similar for three years in row but the actions done does not exactly match what they said, people are bound suspect they are being lied to and baited. So as I keep saying, the ball is in their court to prove us wrong.

That said if it DOES happen and RT does not chicken out and own up to all the build up they added, it will be interesting to see people reaction and if it will be another case like with Korra where a LOT of people started shouting how "forced it is" or still outright refuse to see it beyond "really good friends".

There's this really funny line with lgbt pairings to be honest:
- If it is subtle "and natural" people will be ignorant and pretend it is just friendship
- If writers are fed up with that and make it clear as day by, let's say, having them state it or have sex, it suddenly is "too forced".
You just can't win.
Old 2016-10-09, 03:11   Link #4175
RDNexus

Maybe those who say such things don't want any LGBT content in what they see and end up not liking it when it happens.
People just can't start being more open-minded, I guess...
Old 2016-10-09, 04:14   Link #4176
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I say "it's just friendship" about a shit ton of straight 'couples' all the time, it's not a gay thing.

In fact all these things are even worse with straight people because when when a man and a woman so much as talk to eachother, people are immediately calling for him to stick his penis inside her.

Last edited by Dengar; 2016-10-09 at 04:35.
Old 2016-10-09, 07:31   Link #4177
Tormenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
Kyoani is legendary at their baiting. It is a known and expected fact. Not to mention that it is expected out of japanese products because literally all "yuri" is now is baiting, due to social and cultural issues.

RWBY is a western post-Korra, post-Netflix show that exists in the market that is not dependent on channels and production comittee executives. So when the show keeps adding a very clear subtext to a same sex relationship, people expect better than baiting and vague non-answers that were heard before. And when they receive same non answers, they have the right to be cautious and fearful of show's actual intentions.

If V4 does actually change something, then great! Many people worried about this would be HAPPY to be proven wrong. They want to be proven wrong because it would put their fears to rest and actually legitimize what the show has been doing. Till that happens, though....
Regardless of what Kyoani does, RT is not doing the same thing. RWBY might 'legitimize' whatever the narrative might carry, but expecting vol 4 to fulfill your expectations is just setting yourself up for disappointment because RWBY is not a romance series, at all.

I take developments in stories as it is, not before. The discussion for both Hibike and RWBY on character relationships frankly reads like loads of hot air incessantly generated by posters' personal motivations rather than the main focus offered by the respective stories. As much as Jaune and Pyyrha's relationship is waved around like some rallying banner for hetero-relationships, it was still just a case of a means to an end, since it only led to Pyrrha fulfilling her destiny rather than cosying up with Jaune after everything ended. Any other relationships het or homo might or might not end up the same way but this is still just largely speculation better reserved for another time.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 12:46   Link #4178
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Anyone else expecting Yang to have her moment of awesomely awesome badassery where she will rocket punch some poor sap?

I know I'll be waiting for it!
Old 2016-10-09, 12:55   Link #4179
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

RWBY Panel
Spoiler for Spoilers for Volume 4:

Its funny how one small thing in that whole thing just ruins the whole thing...
Old 2016-10-09, 13:02   Link #4180
RDNexus

And what small thing is that?

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby