AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-07, 16:46   Link #2781
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiibi View Post
Where in ANY of my posts did I state "I refuse to give respect to ____"?

I freaking hate when people put words in my mouth!
What Archmage said. You said, and I quote, "you guys making fun of disappointed Christians is NOT cool. Just because our beliefs differ from yours doesn't mean we don't deserve respect." Which is fine to say, but we're making fun of the christians/right wings partially because they have a nagging habit to do exactly that. When I quoted your point, you hadn't added the "but I am friends with gays and bis" addendum yet. You will also note that my original point said "in general" as it was referring to the right wing/christian political branch in general. Those have not exactly painting a shining example of giving those around them of differing beliefs respect.

That you are friends with some is great, by the way, even if it does make me wonder why you'd support the guy who's stance on gay marriage tends to flip-flop depending on whatever nets him the most votes, and who's current stance seems to be a big, red "no."
Old 2012-11-07, 16:52   Link #2782
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'd point out that people crying doom over Obama's victory - or worse, claiming that the election was somehow stolen, or unamerican - are most pointedly not respecting their opponents' opinion. Why, then, should they deserve better?
Old 2012-11-07, 16:59   Link #2783
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'd point out that people crying doom over Obama's victory - or worse, claiming that the election was somehow stolen, or unamerican - are most pointedly not respecting their opponents' opinion. Why, then, should they deserve better?
Shoot, and that is just start. There is a few folks right now, want the Fiscal Cliff to happen to it show the American people their folly about picking Obama.
Old 2012-11-07, 17:01   Link #2784
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Chiibi! Nice to see you here, I'm glad to have someone around that's pro-Romney and not too crazy about Obama.
We were just talking here at work about how if Romney didn't have to appeal to his "crazy" conservative base or were running as a democrat, he'd probably have won.

The agony arising from this election will be split houses and an acrimonious atmosphere when you have to deal with the fiscal cliff -- and in that regard, specifically with tax code and medical legislature reform. Reform, I say, because I'm not talking about new spending or taxes, just making sure services and taxes that are supposed to be offered/paid are not skirted. Ignoring Dodd-Frank, the change in with regards to "carried interest" is going to make a pretty big impact on revenues (and hurt private equity guys).

Reply hazy, try again
Old 2012-11-07, 17:07   Link #2785
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Chiibi, I think you might just entered a crowd that may be at least half-hostile to Conservative Christians. Really issue (politics, gay marriage etc aside), Conservative Christians also love to attack things people on this forum would like

Anime (sexual display of girls O_O, homosexuality, and violence!)
RPGs (D&D = Satanic rituals)
Video games (Work of Satan)
Harry Potter (DEMON WORSHIPERS)

Do you see it? People come to this board to discuss their hobbies, and I think almost all of us had a experience like that~
Old 2012-11-07, 17:13   Link #2786
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
You're obviously a lazy bum, you should've sent out at least twice as much applications!!!!!!
You're not trying hard enough if there's a single employer in the country who hasn't seen your CV!
Old 2012-11-07, 17:23   Link #2787
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

figured I'd share this from a friend, though some disagreements are to be had, it's more or less on point about the Republicans.

Spoiler for long post:
Old 2012-11-07, 17:28   Link #2788
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I find myself agreeing with a lot of that, actually.
Old 2012-11-07, 17:31   Link #2789
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I think my favorite moment of last night still has to be Karl Rove losing it on Fox News. Now he has to go try to explain to his Super-PAC donors how they just blew millions of dollars on states they came nowhere close to winning. No wonder Trump's losing it too as you can be sure he contributed a fair share of that money based on the intensity of his reaction.
Old 2012-11-07, 17:36   Link #2790
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Giving Florida to Obama so I can be finished with the thing. It's all but likely his atm anyway.

Final tally: 332-206
Old 2012-11-07, 17:40   Link #2791
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. DJ View Post
figured I'd share this from a friend, though some disagreements are to be had, it's more or less on point about the Republicans.

Spoiler for long post:
I could see Edmund Burke saying that. The "Father of Modern Conservatism" would be ashamed of what passes for conservatism in the USA these days.
Old 2012-11-07, 17:42   Link #2792
GundamFan0083

Like I said, the result of this election is a moot point because both major candidates wouldn't do what needs to be done economically.
Obama will stay the course he is already on and the effects will reach far into 2013 and beyond.

Why Stocks May Keep Falling: 'The Sugar High Will End'

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49728143
Old 2012-11-07, 17:53   Link #2793
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I agree with most of his points but he's committing a pretty big No True Scotsman fallacy. Like it or not, everything he condemns IS the current Republican Party, the current definition of "conservative." What he describes hasn't really represented Republicans since Lincoln's days... paleo-paleoconservative.

By today's definitions I'd say he's a centrist who leans slightly fiscal conservative and strongly social liberal. Which is to say, I agree with a lot of what he says--except the whole messy "entitlement" business. They're not entitlements, goddamn it. They're EARNED BENEFITS.

An entitlement implies that you are receiving something for nothing, but everyone fucking pays into the system at least sometime in their life. That's not an entitlement. I'm getting federal student aid now to go to school, but I spent nine years paying taxes when I was working--and because I'm single and have no kids, I damn sure had to pay the damn taxes, and didn't get much back at all.
Old 2012-11-07, 18:04   Link #2794
kyp275
Meh

Quote:

Spoiler for long post:
Your friend deserves a cookie.

or two.

actually, your friend deserves a whole box of cookies.
Old 2012-11-07, 18:04   Link #2795
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Your friend deserves a cookie.

or two.

actually, your friend deserves a whole box of cookies!
Mr. DJ's friend for President 2016!!

Without a doubt
Old 2012-11-07, 18:12   Link #2796
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I second whole box of cookies. An interesting read and helps explain some stuff. I can respect that man's position far more.

Old 2012-11-07, 18:21   Link #2797
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I drop some cookies for you too, DJ. Very good read, and he is right, the GOP needs to get back to the center, not far out like they are right now. Then you have to deal with Super PAC and people like Karl Rove, Trump and others and the Tea Party is a problem as well.

Like one person told me, if Romney didnt have those factors in his ears and he ran the election like he want it without the distractions, he would probably won the election. I think they need to stay out of this.
Old 2012-11-07, 18:30   Link #2798
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

Spoiler for long post:
He's trying to take back the definition of conservatism from the "looney bin". I'd like that, too, but good luck to him. What he's defining are the people who have been shoved out of "conservatism" and the "GOP" as RINOs. Those are the people I'm trying to corral into joining the Libertarian party (eyah, that one has its wierdness too but at least one is arguing business economics rather than "whose imaginary friend is best").

Quote:
Originally Posted by syn
By today's definitions I'd say he's a centrist who leans slightly fiscal conservative and strongly social liberal. Which is to say, I agree with a lot of what he says--except the whole messy "entitlement" business. They're not entitlements, goddamn it. They're EARNED BENEFITS.

An entitlement implies that you are receiving something for nothing, but everyone fucking pays into the system at least sometime in their life. That's not an entitlement. I'm getting federal student aid now to go to school, but I spent nine years paying taxes when I was working--and because I'm single and have no kids, I damn sure had to pay the damn taxes, and didn't get much back at all.
Repeated for Great Truth. "Entitlements" is one of those Orwellian lie words. There's very few people who don't pay taxes in some manner (property, sales, income). People serve in the military, they pay social security and medicare (even the illegals ... they just don't get credit because they're using the wrong SocSec number). So calling them entitlements is the worst kind of bullshit and one even supporters of the system have fallen for.

If you live and participate in the community, you've bought into accepting the costs of the community. If your footprint is big, you bear more of the cost.

If there's one and only one thing the right wing in the US excels at - its hijacking the words of the debate. You lose before you start if you accept their labels.
Old 2012-11-07, 18:32   Link #2799
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it is a better platform that they have now...in either party.
Old 2012-11-07, 18:45   Link #2800
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
He's trying to take back the definition of conservatism from the "looney bin". I'd like that, too, but good luck to him. What he's defining are the people who have been shoved out of "conservatism" and the "GOP" as RINOs. Those are the people I'm trying to corral into joining the Libertarian party (eyah, that one has its wierdness too but at least one is arguing business economics rather than "whose imaginary friend is best").

Repeated for Great Truth. "Entitlements" is one of those Orwellian lie words. There's very few people who don't pay taxes in some manner (property, sales, income). People serve in the military, they pay social security and medicare (even the illegals ... they just don't get credit because they're using the wrong SocSec number). So calling them entitlements is the worst kind of bullshit and one even supporters of the system have fallen for.

If you live and participate in the community, you've bought into accepting the costs of the community. If your footprint is big, you bear more of the cost.

If there's one and only one thing the right wing in the US excels at - its hijacking the words of the debate. You lose before you start if you accept their labels.
The problem is, once he shave us all those kooks and cultists, you end up with 3 voters, Jon Huntsman, and the three or four people who voted for him in Ohio.
Closed Thread