AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 41 38.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 35.51%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 22.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 0.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-11, 18:01   Link #161
achirist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
Poppo is hardly obese.

This is obese.
Hah... I disagree about Poppo, though; he does appear to have a BMI in the overweight-obese range. Such people can easily travel around the world, but their life is still stymied and limited by their physical condition. People can put on a happy face for the world to hide their emotional pain and physical illness deep inside.
Old 2011-05-11, 18:27   Link #162
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I'm guessing Menma's actually a Schrodinger Cat.

She's portrayed to be able to affect reality, but it was all from Jinta's perspective and all of the things she affected can be explained by other things aside from being caused by Menma. And I think Jinta subconsciously knows this.
Old 2011-05-11, 18:54   Link #163
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
I'm guessing Menma's actually a Schrodinger Cat.

She's portrayed to be able to affect reality, but it was all from Jinta's perspective and all of the things she affected can be explained by other things aside from being caused by Menma. And I think Jinta subconsciously knows this.
I'm not sure about that. I can't say it is all Jinta's perspective because it showed scenes that does not target Jinta directly such as

Spoiler for scenes:
Old 2011-05-11, 23:23   Link #164
Tsuyukusa
King of Carrot Flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrunner View Post
I'm not sure about that. I can't say it is all Jinta's perspective because it showed scenes that does not target Jinta directly such as

Spoiler for scenes:
Yeah, the only thing that makes me think Menma isn't in Jintan's head is when they are shown to be in two distinctly different locations. Menma wandering into her old home for example; Jintan's physical body would have been noticed if he did that.
Old 2011-05-12, 01:59   Link #165
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Poppo's exuberance and optimism is superhuman. The feeling of sadness does not seem to exist within his world. So are the viewers to believe Poppo has always so happy-go-lucky, even after the Super Peace Busters broke apart? No. There is still a piece of everyone's past missing - their lives immediately following Menma's death. In Poppo's case, something or someone must have inspired him to travel across the world.
Personally I think a big reason he started traveling was because of Menma. He's like the reverse of Yukiatsu, but they both share a form of escapism. Yukiatsu became colder and repressed everything, but he couldn't hold it all in and cross dressing became his outlet. Poppo is more extroverted but traveling and doing odd jobs keeps him from dwelling on things too much.

I wouldn't really call Poppo obese btw, he's active and strong. He's just a naturally large person. It's kind of funny though, that he was such a small child and now he towers over everyone.
Old 2011-05-12, 03:00   Link #166
cyth
Banned

Guys, let's be honest here, the kid is fat. But enough about Poppo. Apart from the possibility of the divine or supernatural, Menma's "ghost" is in one way or another an aggregate of memories about Menma. Instead of thinking she's merely Jinta's hallucination, we can widen that perspective and think of her as a memory that's still pressing everyone's minds. Perhaps her brother was distracted thinking about her so much that he knocked over that glass, his dog as well, perhaps the town as a whole hasn't forgotten her, so they portrayed her walking around the town. It's a nice way of saying nobody really forgets people that have passed away.
Old 2011-05-12, 08:14   Link #167
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I mean, you guys... What's so wrong about being a little fat? Honestly, it seems like we're paragons of health, one and all.

Old 2011-05-12, 09:22   Link #168
ednaeleva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I vaguely remember some Japanese superstition that the spirits of dead people can weigh on a living person's shoulders, or something to that effect, thus my hypothesis. Anyone more familiar with Japanese beliefs can back me up on this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_%282004_film%29

There is an american film based on this one with the same title.

In Mexico there's some kind of mith about dead people lying above a sleeping person.
Old 2011-05-12, 14:01   Link #169
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I mean, you guys... What's so wrong about being a little fat? Honestly, it seems like we're paragons of health, one and all.
Realistically speaking, Poppo's more than a little fat. Then again, it's a cartoon. Wouldn't it be hard for someone to be only slightly overweight? He's certainly not as big as the comically obese characters who're actually supposed to have weight problems.

Poppo's weight doesn't really worry me. He seems pretty active, and looks like he has a lot of muscle underneath the fat layer (notice how he outran everyone at first, and how Anaru was the first to get exhausted? How come, by the way? Does she smoke or something?).
Old 2011-05-12, 14:55   Link #170
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Maybe she's just not athletic? There are people like that.
And you did bring up the most valid point: Poppo doesn't behave like a fat slob, who should be oh so preoccupied with his weight problem, so why do people want to label him as such?

Old 2011-05-12, 15:02   Link #171
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Realistically speaking, Poppo's more than a little fat. Then again, it's a cartoon. Wouldn't it be hard for someone to be only slightly overweight? He's certainly not as big as the comically obese characters who're actually supposed to have weight problems.

Poppo's weight doesn't really worry me. He seems pretty active, and looks like he has a lot of muscle underneath the fat layer (notice how he outran everyone at first, and how Anaru was the first to get exhausted? How come, by the way? Does she smoke or something?).
Good Point. Poppo is just a huge guy. He has no characteristics of being a slob. He seems like he moves around way more compared to the other characters with his excitment and joy.

Anaru: Ehhh. She is just out of shape. If you haven't done any cardio at all people will get tired after the first 100 yards or less.
Old 2011-05-12, 15:13   Link #172
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yeah, but the others weren't even winded. Not even Jintan, who's supposed to be a hikkikomori.
Old 2011-05-12, 15:50   Link #173
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Apart from the possibility of the divine or supernatural, Menma's "ghost" is in one way or another an aggregate of memories about Menma. Instead of thinking she's merely Jinta's hallucination, we can widen that perspective and think of her as a memory that's still pressing everyone's minds. Perhaps her brother was distracted thinking about her so much that he knocked over that glass, his dog as well, perhaps the town as a whole hasn't forgotten her, so they portrayed her walking around the town. It's a nice way of saying nobody really forgets people that have passed away.
Good imagination at work. But the viewers clearly see Menma smacking the glass off the table; if her brother had merely shaken the table, the glass would have fallen closer to the table, if not simply tipping over and falling. And how would you explain Menma opening the door?

And really, does where Menma come from really make a difference? The show seems to focus less on how she got here, and more on how Jinta can find a way to make her disappear Jinta can give her soul peace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Anaru and her friends hang out at WcDonalds often. Go there, and you too will realize the negative effects of cheeseburgers and milkshakes.

By which I mean there are no negative effects. Anime characters only get fatter for comical purposes; the amount of food they eat has no relation to their size or stamina. Unless the anime is using Anaru's unhealthy diet as a plot point, in which case the terrible repercussions of eating WcDonalds every day will be overplayed to criticize the impact of junk food in our society.

Or maybe Anaru is addicted to smoking. Eh, let's wait for episode 5 before imagining any more of her life problems.

From a physics perspective, Poppo is larger in mass. Going by Newton's Second Law (a = F/m), Poppo needs a larger force to reach the same acceleration as a smaller person. However, he requires less work to sustain the acceleration over the same distance (F = W/d, ignoring the dot product). Anaru, being less massive, requires more work to move.
Old 2011-05-17, 09:37   Link #174
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

ewww... that's a really creepy trap.... I hate Yukiatsu so much

somehow, I really love a scene between Jintan and Anaru.... hope I can find more in the upcoming episode
Tsuruko also really kind in this episode.... I even forget that she still has a bad relation with Anaru
Old 2011-06-18, 21:00   Link #175
awkwardanimals

I actually started crying for some reason when I found out it was Yukiatsu crossdressing as Menma. That made me so sad...he clearly has some like...repressed issues. I felt really bad...
Closed Thread