AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-05-17, 05:35   Link #14041
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Anyone first meet is more important, and besides she's the main girl character.
Old 2010-05-17, 07:41   Link #14042
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I don't get why they don't just license and release series with only subtitles. They don't all need dubs, in my opinion, none of them do since most of the time they just plain suck. Dubs, no matter what language, suck compared to the original. If you never listened to the original you may not know the difference but there is one, especially with Japanese.
Not necessarily. There are some dubs that surpass the original Japanese, like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing Ultimate, Yu Yu Haskusho, etc.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 10:39   Link #14043
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

The Black Lagoon and Beck dubs are also very very good.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 11:51   Link #14044
Xagzan

And of course the so were the FMA and Death Note dubs.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 12:02   Link #14045
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Not necessarily. There are some dubs that surpass the original Japanese, like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Hellsing Ultimate, Yu Yu Haskusho, etc.
Haven't watched those with Japanese audio so I couldn't say.

But this isn't just for anime, I have watched Italian films and they are so much better in Italian than the dubbed English.
Old 2010-05-17, 12:10   Link #14046
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Haven't watched those with Japanese audio so I couldn't say.

But this isn't just for anime, I have watched Italian films and they are so much better in Italian than the dubbed English.
Well that's different. It's much harder to get lip synching exactly right in real movies because the lip motions are so much more detailed. In anime, not so much. Plus, I tend to think that many anime characters look very nonethnic, like they could be from anywhere, so it's easy to believe them speaking any language really.
Old 2010-05-17, 13:18   Link #14047
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Well that's different. It's much harder to get lip synching exactly right in real movies because the lip motions are so much more detailed. In anime, not so much. Plus, I tend to think that many anime characters look very nonethnic, like they could be from anywhere, so it's easy to believe them speaking any language really.
Nah, one movie they used both tracks, depending on what words were said. It was horrible.
Old 2010-05-17, 16:26   Link #14048
yongshun

I just find that North American companies try too hard to make the voices for the characters in animes using japanese style voices, as in making everyone sound too high pitched. I would rather they sound more natural.

Head or Gut?
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 17:47   Link #14049
GrrDraxin

Send a message via Yahoo to GrrDraxin
In my opinion, that's actually preferable, because sometimes if you see a character, when if they are like Kurumu and very petite, you wonder how the hell she has such a deep voice from that small person that she is. I personally don't care for deep voiced women, sometimes it just makes them sound more butch than they should be.
Old 2010-05-17, 18:36   Link #14050
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrDraxin View Post
In my opinion, that's actually preferable, because sometimes if you see a character, when if they are like Kurumu and very petite, you wonder how the hell she has such a deep voice from that small person that she is. I personally don't care for deep voiced women, sometimes it just makes them sound more butch than they should be.
Aye I agree, women with "manly" voice is a major turn off for me. A character like Rukia from bleach pops into mind
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 18:45   Link #14051
Shadow5YA

Voice acting is all about portraying the character you're voicing correctly, from the emotion to their style of speech and formality to their personality. You can emote in any language.

The only part where the language matters is the cultural aspect. There may be some jokes or expressions that are only heard in Japanese culture, so some things could always get lost in the translation. Other times, there may be a stock personality or character archetype that's only accepted as normal in Japanese culture (like the moe girl type), so it could be difficult to find an equivalent in English or American culture. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's impossible.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-17, 18:51   Link #14052
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Aye I agree, women with "manly" voice is a major turn off for me. A character like Rukia from bleach pops into mind
I happen to think Michelle Ruff does a great Rukia job. Not every female character has to sound like barbie.
Old 2010-05-17, 23:22   Link #14053
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Damn, I'm the one responsible for the derailment this time... oh well. At least we're not talking about the dub for R to V specifically (for those who don't notice, I always refer top the anime as R to V and the manga as R+V... )

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 06:16   Link #14054
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Hahah it had to happen somewhere. I dunno, the dub could be a good or a bad thing, depends on if they play around with any of the original dialogue and lines, and how they voice act it.
If taken on it's own merits, the anime is a bit of fun even if 2/3 of the second season is pointless (and the best stuff is all derived from the manga), although the manga is definately better. But then its on 70+ chapters now, its always had the room to develop much more than the anime, the anime was likely to be a dissapointment from the beginning to the manga fans because there was so much material, side plots, main plot, actual romance/love between Moka + Tsukune and quite a few seemingly filler chapters which later turned out to be related to the plot. In other words the series was too broad, the anime essentially condensed the series down to try and deal with that, but essentially condensed too far, and then put in too much filler in the second season.

Simply put R+V was too large to turn into a 13 episode show properly, it really needed a full blown 26 or more, all greenlit at once to try and do the story some sense of justice.

Either way though, the manga has left us on a bit of a suspense ground right now, its almost enough to make me stop reading for a month or two and come back and read a few months at once
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 08:08   Link #14055
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I happen to think Michelle Ruff does a great Rukia job. Not every female character has to sound like barbie.
I'm talking about the japanese VA, btw
Old 2010-05-18, 08:19   Link #14056
Xagzan

I think the dub could be a good thing cause it might at the very least get a new crowd of people watching it. Especially if adult swim decides to air it. And then hopefully they'd hear about the far superior manga and be interested enough to try it out.

Anyway, if it's funimation, I guess that means Kari Wahlgren won't be doing Moka, Outer or Inner... (and she has the voice for both)
Old 2010-05-18, 10:26   Link #14057
kitten320

I dislike dub mostly because voices are simply un-emotional. They leave a blank experience on you and istead of getting all emotional, I don't care.

Voices also sound lame... Why is it that other cartoons sound fine but whenever they dub anime, it sounds awful like if they had employed some random people from street.
Old 2010-05-18, 11:49   Link #14058
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I dislike dub mostly because voices are simply un-emotional. They leave a blank experience on you and istead of getting all emotional, I don't care.

Voices also sound lame... Why is it that other cartoons sound fine but whenever they dub anime, it sounds awful like if they had employed some random people from street.
Not the ones I watch.
Old 2010-05-18, 12:10   Link #14059
shaselai

when is next raw supposed to be out?
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-18, 12:28   Link #14060
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

in 2 maybe 3 weeks tops.

Tags
action, comedy, ecchi, harem, monogamy, romance, shounen, supernatural, tsumoka romance, vampire