AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-20, 14:46   Link #21
dynastus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Actually, it seems more like Otonashi is merely our vehicle for seeing this story, rather than the story himself. That's not to say that he isn't as important as other supporting characters, but besides his possible romantic link, he's not all that important plotwise.

Though that could easily change depending on his memories, and how he, Yuri and Tenshi continue to interact.
In the end he will chose Hinata.
End of discussion no speculation,everybody else his troll comment is invalid and haters gona hate.

Last edited by dynastus; 2010-04-20 at 15:18.
Old 2010-04-23, 15:09   Link #22
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastus View Post
In the end he will chose Hinata.
End of discussion no speculation,everybody else his troll comment is invalid and haters gona hate.
Heh if only it was that simple, Higurashi and Ookamikakushi are like the only animes where the reversed lead roles can choose who they actually like.
Old 2010-04-24, 13:36   Link #23
Elvin

For those who may not have noticed, Otonashi's name itself stands for "no sound" (uses the kanji for "sound" and "without"). So far sound and music have been prevalent themes in the story (Angel 'Beats', rock band, Tenshi's attack names), so I wonder if his name's alluding to something other than his memory being missing (or maybe Jun Maeda's just threw it in to keep with the theme).
Old 2010-04-24, 14:12   Link #24
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
For those who may not have noticed, Otonashi's name itself stands for "no sound" (uses the kanji for "sound" and "without"). So far sound and music have been prevalent themes in the story (Angel 'Beats', rock band, Tenshi's attack names), so I wonder if his name's alluding to something other than his memory being missing (or maybe Jun Maeda's just threw it in to keep with the theme).
So you are saying that he is a omen that will bring silence to the lead singer.
Old 2010-04-24, 14:33   Link #25
Elvin

Maybe I am... >=D~
Old 2010-04-24, 22:23   Link #26
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Actually, it seems more like Otonashi is merely our vehicle for seeing this story, rather than the story himself. That's not to say that he isn't as important as other supporting characters, but besides his possible romantic link, he's not all that important plotwise.

Though that could easily change depending on his memories, and how he, Yuri and Tenshi continue to interact.
I have to agree for the moment. I have no doubt that as the story progresses his importance will increase by leaps and bounds, but as we progress through the introductory stages of this anime he merely seems to serve as a vessel for teaching us the ways of this mysterious world of the dead. With all of that aside though, I rather like Otonashi's character. They way they've presented him as being very aware of how he's a new face in this world, is very appealing. Even with that in mind, he's started to fit in better (mostly because he keeps fighting with Mr. Axeman), and that's also been done well. I suppose to put it simply, his character is progressing well. As far as Otonashi's cause of death linking him with other characters, I doubt that it will but naturally there's that looming wonderment of how it could potentially link him to Yuri or Tenshi.

To be honest, I think any link he'll have to Tenshi (and he most assuredly will because Tenshi is most assuredly important) will be of his own curiosity and sympathy which he displays for her. Like all sane people he was angry at Tenshi for her stabbing him. Before and even after the event though, he has remained sympathetic to her. He consistently questions it being acceptable to hurt her, and that's every indicator I need to guess he'll eventually end up learning more about her the old-fashioned way. The fact that he goes to those lengths to remain so human, is a respectable quality that he has that makes me like him as a character. I look forward to hearing about how he died (and I hope it's equally dramatic compared to Yuri's), but at the same time I also don't want to know.
Old 2010-04-26, 19:28   Link #27
Voidek

It's nice to see that Otonashi is starting to fit in with the rest of the group (And also that he's actually capable of exhibiting their level of idiocy- his rivalry with the Axeman was just hilarious).

Actually ever since I've watched the promo for Angel Beats I had this nagging feeling about him- partially because of the opening lines about "The boy who has gone astray". That's why in episode 2 when yuri stated that there are no suicide victims in their world I couldn't help thinking "Oh? So Otonashi's the first one?". Now I realise this might be stretching it a bit but if we compared Otonashi's role to Tomoya for example it actually starts making sense. Granted, in Clannad Tomoya played a more active role than Angel Beats hero but the analogy is rather fitting I think. My theory is that like Tomoya in Clannad had to learn the importance of human relations, Otonashi's purpose is to learn the importance and the beauty of life. Afterall this anime is supposed to be "The best song in praise of life".

Well, were it to be true, then rather than Tenshi it'd be Otonashi who poses the greatest threat to Yuri's group I guess- pretty much representing everything they fight against and all.
Old 2010-05-01, 10:04   Link #28
Dark Wing

If anything I believe that Otonashi is going to be the driving force that brings these two opposites (Yuri and Kanade) together.
Old 2010-05-01, 13:23   Link #29
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
If anything I believe that Otonashi is going to be the driving force that brings these two opposites (Yuri and Kanade) together.
I wouldn't say they are opposites. I highly doubt that Kanade openly resents Yurippe, as there's never really been any hint to her even harboring the slightest amount of negative feelings towards the other people in this world. She talks to Otonashi, and he's been there when they've fought. He's shot at her also, just like the others. Yurippe's hatred isn't toward Kanade, but rather people who enact the will of God, and support him. She hates Tenshi, not Kanade, to put it simply.
Old 2010-05-01, 13:28   Link #30
Sweeney
Outsider

I think in last episode there will be only otonashi and yourippe ,,, I don't know but In new episodes he is closer to angel then maybe this angel is his sister or maybe he is to angel but he doesn't remember that ehh... To know who is otonashi u must wait for more episodes
Old 2010-05-01, 14:00   Link #31
Ashaman

Anyone else get the feeling he may be really Book smart from the test episode?

He didn't seem to be trying, but stated that he found it easy
Old 2010-05-01, 14:46   Link #32
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I wouldn't say they are opposites. I highly doubt that Kanade openly resents Yurippe, as there's never really been any hint to her even harboring the slightest amount of negative feelings towards the other people in this world. She talks to Otonashi, and he's been there when they've fought. He's shot at her also, just like the others. Yurippe's hatred isn't toward Kanade, but rather people who enact the will of God, and support him. She hates Tenshi, not Kanade, to put it simply.
yeah agreed, yuri hate god, and tenshi is god's servant (what yuri thought), we'll see how this misunderstanding goes (if kanade really is a normal human being, and i hope so)
Old 2010-05-01, 15:33   Link #33
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Anyone else get the feeling he may be really Book smart from the test episode?

He didn't seem to be trying, but stated that he found it easy
He's an honors student. They all are, aren't they? Hence the honors student uniforms that are black for the guys that he spawns with.
Old 2010-05-02, 05:50   Link #34
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

isn't the black gakuran just a "standard" uniform that encompasses everyone, even "standard" student male NPC, with the suit-uniform they have used to stand out from the others? Like how every player in a game starts off with standard equipment until they choose to change it.
Old 2010-05-02, 12:12   Link #35
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nya~n View Post
isn't the black gakuran just a "standard" uniform that encompasses everyone, even "standard" student male NPC, with the suit-uniform they have used to stand out from the others? Like how every player in a game starts off with standard equipment until they choose to change it.
In the first episode they said that it was an Honors Student uniform. I suppose there's always that slim chance that it was mistranslated, but I'm going to give subbers the benefit of the doubt. On average, all of the characters appear to be extremely intelligent. Otonashi, The Guild, Yurippe, Taka and "Christ" (Because I don't care enough to know his real name), and especially Kanade.
Old 2010-05-02, 14:28   Link #36
Farix

When Otonashi asked why his uniform was different from everyone else (speaking to the SSS), Yuri states that Otonashi wasn't the one who was different, but the SSS were the ones wearing a different uniform. The first uniform that Otonashi wears is the standard model uniform. The SSS's uniforms are specific to them and is a sign of their rebellion.
Old 2010-05-02, 14:51   Link #37
Kudryavka

Quote:
In the first episode they said that it was an Honors Student uniform. I suppose there's always that slim chance that it was mistranslated, but I'm going to give subbers the benefit of the doubt. On average, all of the characters appear to be extremely intelligent. Otonashi, The Guild, Yurippe, Taka and "Christ" (Because I don't care enough to know his real name), and especially Kanade.
It couldn't be an Honors Student uniform, Halberd Boy dons it, and he's a complete idiot.
Old 2010-05-03, 19:49   Link #38
Traece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
It couldn't be an Honors Student uniform, Halberd Boy dons it, and he's a complete idiot.
<_< Unless of course he's highly intelligent.

Hey I'm just citing what the translation I watched said. Not to mention it's not exactly a bad explanation. I mean, there's only two members thus far that appear to be extremely stupid in terms of book smarts. Plus, it really helps to explain why 'The Guild' people can make guns. Sure they can practice making guns and learn that, but they have to have practical knowledge too.
Old 2010-05-08, 06:14   Link #39
Crontica

Quote:
<_< Unless of course he's highly intelligent.
HAAH Good joke. Made my day.
If that brickhead ever becomes a key character you can say goodbye to over 7 episodes of character development.
Old 2010-05-14, 22:11   Link #40
icyhandofcrap
crap translator

So Otonashi's regret is not making something out of himself and becoming a doctor to save other people? Yeah I don't see that getting resolved in the afterlife.
Closed Thread