Notices

Old 2014-03-20, 19:08   Link #3261
bastek66

Poor Miuna
Old 2014-03-20, 19:17   Link #3262
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kresslia View Post
This is why I like this guy so much. He doesn't go around moping about his sh!t, he puts what's truly important first. That guys' talk he mentioned when approaching Hikari/Kaname, you'd assume it would be his opportunity to baww to them about Chisaki "rejecting" him, but hell no, bro goes to put his brain to work and explains how he believes they can postpone the apocalypse (essentially). He doesn't avoid Chisaki out of embarrassment or tremble in her presence, instead he approaches her normally despite her brutal "rejection". I do agree with those saying that he likely understands why Chisaki is rejecting him, though.

Tsumugu and Kaname are making this show for me. I think they're both stellar.
I agree with all you said and I think all characters do this show for me. Hikari too, the boys trio have a nice balance and a criminal lack of spotlight of doing things together because of Okada's weakness of writing male characters.

I also liked Chisaki's source of trauma because it confirmed what we were interpreting about her feelings. Sayu was fantastic as usual, easily my favorite girl. Miuna was my least favorite of the main cast but she got way better once she faced her fears and insecurity after Tsumugu talked to her. I think I'm going to give a special bonus to Akira who is one of the least obnoxious toddlers in anime.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 19:38   Link #3263
Kirarakim

I can't believe so many people bashed Sayu early on, she was great. Granted she wasn't my favorite at first but she really grew on me over the course of the 2nd half. I think I wouldn't care about Sayu/Kaname but that confession scene made me tear up.

Also poor Akira

And finally I like all the characters for all their faults. I want them all to be happy in the end.
Old 2014-03-20, 19:45   Link #3264
Lugia_Tsuyu
Damn, I'm good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-kun View Post
She's had this thing with putting others ahead of her ever since the start
I'm being really mean to Chisaki this week . But I think there's fine line between using others as an excuse to avoid your own problem and putting others before yourself. And I'm not sure Chisaki is the latter.

It's kinda sad that she seems (emphasis on the 'seems') to be doing fine until her friends woke up from hibernation. Their awaking triggered her underlying guilt and BAM! She hangs on to that guilt and tries to use it to justify her actions (or lack of one).
Lugia_Tsuyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 20:11   Link #3265
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Tsuyu View Post
I'm being really mean to Chisaki this week . But I think there's fine line between using others as an excuse to avoid your own problem and putting others before yourself. And I'm not sure Chisaki is the latter.

It's kinda sad that she seems (emphasis on the 'seems') to be doing fine until her friends woke up from hibernation. Their awaking triggered her underlying guilt and BAM! She hangs on to that guilt and tries to use it to justify her actions (or lack of one).
I'd say right now she's doing both, since her "problem" is the fact she's locked into a state where she feels compelled to put others ahead of her. It's honestly not something easy to "move on" from, like, say, letting go of a person you like as was the case with Kaname. In her case, there's a much more complicated issue at hand dealing with her own identity and what it means to have lived all those years that the others simply skipped. In a way, it's a bit tragic, because while she pins a lot of pressure on herself, the guys who were actually asleep have all, in some shape or form, recovered from it and are moving on with their lives.

Still, I'm with you regarding Tsumugu. I also really like him, and I guess that's the exact reason why I'm enjoying his relationship with Chisaki. He knows she's a great girl, and he's seen a lot of sides of her (some which we were only briefly shown, even), so I think it's cool that he's willing to put in some effort in order to change her and get her all fine again. If/when he suceeds, I'm sure it'll be very rewarding scene, finlly seeing the efforts of the guy who stood up for the woman he loves when she needed him the most pay off.
Old 2014-03-20, 20:34   Link #3266
anonfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I can't believe so many people bashed Sayu early on, she was great. Granted she wasn't my favorite at first but she really grew on me over the course of the 2nd half. I think I wouldn't care about Sayu/Kaname but that confession scene made me tear up.

Also poor Akira

And finally I like all the characters for all their faults. I want them all to be happy in the end.
Akira, also was pretty smooth, in my opinion. I give him props. Poor kid.
anonfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 20:42   Link #3267
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I like Sayu, too. Surprised to see everyone else saying so because I was under the impression everyone hated her. I thought she was funny as a kid and though she hasn't gotten much screen time, probably the most balanced of the girls post-timeskip.

As for Chisaki/Tsumugu, yeah, she is starting to become pretty damn annoying, but making her refusal to accept Tsumugu a result of being traumatized is actually working unexpectedly well for me. A few episodes back I thought they had really backed themselves into a corner on this plotline, but now I can see her "letting go" and having her repressed love burst out believably.

I feel pretty bad for Miuna, though. Feel like she's going to end up being the only one left out.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 20:43   Link #3268
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, I'm not going to really criticize Chisaki at this point. I think she is in a mixed position between having the habit of putting others before herself and but also using others to avoid tackling things. I'm not sure where one starts and the other begins on that front. Throw in the trauma of everyone she knew vanishing while she was the only one growing and changing and you've got a pretty mixed up person. In the end it's still good what happened here. Did need Tsumugu to make clear what she had to have known but tried to not acknowledge. Now his feelings are plenty out in the open and she's only got Manaka's missing feelings as a shield.

Honestly I'd prefer it if she pushed through what's holding her back before Manaka gets back to normal. Just so she does overcome that habit of hers. Although because it is a habit Chisaki could probably come up with another excuse for why she can't get involved with Tsumugu.

I hope Tsumugu is keeping an eye on things going into the next episode. Chisaki seems the type to do something crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
Poor Miuna
For a girl who's trying to hide any sign that she likes Hikari that was a serious case of turning on the cute .
Old 2014-03-20, 20:57   Link #3269
Pablete
Banned

Spoiler for Episode 24: I, Robot:

Last edited by Pablete; 2014-03-20 at 21:19.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 21:06   Link #3270
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, say this for "passive" Tsumugu, when he goes for it he goes for it.

That was quite the high-risk/high-reward gamble he took in aggressively embracing Chisaki like that - It's like swinging for the fences when your team is down by a run in the ninth inning and two batters are already out. Got to appreciate a guy who puts it all on the line in on one big moment like that. Ultimately, this will either make it or break it for Tsumugu - This is either the catalyst wake-up call that Chisaki needed, or it'll just get her to retrench that much harder in her "I love Hikari!" stubbornness.

I doubt that things will ever be the same between Chisaki and Tsumugu after this - Chisaki will likely either finally admit her feelings for Tsumugu and so reciprocate to him, or she'll continue to run away from her feelings by literally running away from Tsumugu and his grandfather (what she said to Tsumugu's grandfather was very suggestive there).

As for Sayu and Kaname - I found it very refreshing to see a confession finally not result in what looks and sounds like a rejection. On the other hand, I also feel like Dr. Casey - Why is Sayu so pissed? Does she expect Kaname to read her mind or something? I guess somebody has to be the archetypal tsundere, and Sayu got stuck with that role, but even with tsunderes I usually get the snappiness/anger at some level. Here I don't see what Kaname did or didn't do to cause this blistering anger from Sayu. Oh well, they would make a cute couple if Sayu can get some anger management counseling, so I hope it works out between them.

I also agree with Dr. Casey on how this was a great episode for Kaname. I never imagined that Kaname would actually go to bat for Tsumugu. Without Kaname's chat with Chisaki, I'd honestly expect her to retrench. But with Kaname's impact, I think there's a better chance Chisaki finally lets go of Hikari and gives Tsumugu a real chance. Chisaki's emotional breakdown here was probably a necessary watershed moment for her. Something she had to get off her chest.

On the whole, it was an excellent episode, because concrete plot resolutions are finally starting to come into focus, and stubborn relational holding patterns are finally starting to break down, giving rise to a sea of possibilities far more interesting than what we've had thus far.

Poor Miuna though - It really does look like she's the most likely major character to be the "odd one out". A bit ironic that it's now more likely to be her than Sayu.

Ah well, at least she'll have her brother to keep her company in the unrequited love boat, lmao!
Old 2014-03-20, 21:12   Link #3271
Pablete
Banned

She could take a seat for some counseling along with Kaname and
Spoiler for her:
Old 2014-03-20, 21:13   Link #3272
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
or it'll just get her to retrench that much harder in her "I love Hikari!" stubbornness.
Kaname already tore down that shield. She's using "Manaka's feelings for Tsumugu" as her new one, remember?
Old 2014-03-20, 21:23   Link #3273
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Kaname already tore down that shield. She's using "Manaka's feelings for Tsumugu" as her new one, remember?
That was a pretty transparent grasping at straws, imo. Kaname himself called her out on how this has nothing to do with Manaka.

Chisaki really does have to deal with her change issues. That's the crux of almost everything for her. Still is. It's just that hopefully Kaname has made her realize that, and she'll finally accept change. If Chisaki truly accepts change (which would by extension include accepting her feelings for Tsumugu), then it's a good ending for her and Tsumugu. If not, then she'll never be truly happy and Tsumugu will continue to be alone.
Old 2014-03-20, 21:25   Link #3274
Thess

Quote:
That was a pretty transparent grasping at straws. imo. Kaname himself called her out on how this has nothing to do with Manaka.

Chisaki really does have to deal with her change issues. That's the crux of almost everything for her. Still is. It's just that hopefully Kaname has made her realize that, and she'll finally accept change. If Chisaki truly accepts change (which would by extension include accepting her feelings for Tsumugu), then it's a good ending for her and Tsumugu. If not, then she'll never be truly happy and Tsumugu will continue to be alone.
Or Tsumugu will move on. Unlike Chisaki, Tsumugu is capable of changing and accepting change. He wants to move forward, doesn't he?

Chisaki will forever live in regret if she doesn't mature. This goes beyond Tsumugu, but she will be incapable of functioning as an adult if she always clings to her past.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 21:30   Link #3275
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Or Tsumugu will move on. Unlike Chisaki, Tsumugu is capable of changing and accepting change. He wants to move forward, doesn't he?

Chisaki will forever live in regret if she doesn't mature. This goes beyond Tsumugu, but she will be incapable of functioning as an adult if she always clings to her past.
I agree with you. To clarify, I'm not saying that Tsumugu would live an unhappy life if Chisaki doesn't move on. He'll move on even if she doesn't. I'm just saying that if Chisaki doesn't move on he'll be single at the end of this anime, that's all.

For a point of comparison, I'm now starting to think that Kaname just wanted somebody to love him. His preference was Chisaki, but he probably felt left out all those years as the only person that nobody was crushing on.
Old 2014-03-20, 21:43   Link #3276
Kazu-kun

Quote:
That was a pretty transparent grasping at straws, imo. Kaname himself called her out on how this has nothing to do with Manaka.
Of course. But it's the same with her supposed feelings for Hikari. It was all a lie. She stopped having feelings for him a long time ago, but she was forcing herself to believe she still loved him so she could avoid facing the truth: that she was in love with Tsumugu now.

But Kaname made her realize that her feelings for Hikari were a lie, so now she's trying to use Manaka as her next excuse. And if that doesn't work she'll find something else. It doesn't matter what. She'll use anything to hid from her true feelings. Because admitting her true feelings is admitting that she changed, and that, in her mind, would mean that she betrayed all her friends who didn't have the change to grow up.

This is a nasty combination of her old fear of change and survivor guilt.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-03-20 at 21:55.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 22:04   Link #3277
sikvod00

Wow. Triple R made a very good observation (few pages back) when he compared Tsumugu to L-elf. There were scenes in Valvrave where I rolled my eyes at how successful L-elf was at defeating and outwitting this powerful enemy. His precision was absurd, almost comical. I feel the same with Tsumugu and the way he manages to do nearly everything right the first time. He's too perceptive and self-aware for my tastes. I used to feel the same about Kaname, but even he has revealed chinks in his armor over the course of the series. It explains why I couldn't warm to his character type much: he seems infallible in a melodrama with flawed people. I prefer my characters to occasionally fumble and and flail before they make the right decisions. I'm not accussing Tsumugu of being a a Gary Stue or anything like that. He's not perfect at everything, just the stuff that matter most in this show. Oh, well. That's not to say anyone is wrong for thinking he's the best in the show though. It's obviously preference. /rant

Last edited by sikvod00; 2014-03-20 at 22:16.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 22:33   Link #3278
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Wow. Triple R made a very good observation (few pages back) when he compared Tsumugu to L-elf. There were scenes in Valvrave where I rolled my eyes at how successful L-elf was at defeating and outwitting this powerful enemy. His precision was absurd, almost comical. I feel the same with Tsumugu and the way he manages to do nearly everything right the first time. He's too perceptive and self-aware for my tastes. I used to feel the same about Kaname, but even he has revealed chinks in his armor over the course of the series. It explains why I couldn't warm to his character type much: he seems infallible in a melodrama with flawed people. I prefer my characters to occasionally fumble and and flail before they make the right decisions. I'm not accussing Tsumugu of being a a Gary Stue or anything like that. He's not perfect at everything, just the stuff that matter most in this show. Oh, well. That's not to say anyone is wrong for thinking he's the best in the show though. It's obviously preference. /rant
That's cuz he isn't human, he is a cyborg. He didn't got ena, a virus affected his system and allowed him to not rust.
Old 2014-03-20, 22:54   Link #3279
kresslia
I dunno what to write.

Are the robot jokes seriously still going on? We're way past that now.
kresslia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-20, 22:55   Link #3280
Pablete
Banned

Cyborg isn't the same as robot xD.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen