AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2010-07-23, 03:20   Link #2461
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
And let's not get started on Gendo... Man, what a douche, what a great example to set for parents.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 03:21   Link #2462
Agito Akiyama
Bass-wa Watashi

Send a message via MSN to Agito Akiyama
Mari is hawt.
Old 2010-07-23, 04:21   Link #2463
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg88 View Post
Maybe i'm just too old and jaded.
I think this is one of the bigger reasons why you're not enjoying it, on top of a dislike of the Lighter and Softer nature of the Rebuild movies (making it not for folk like Reckoner, lover of non-diet drinks, who liked the True Art is Angsty or 'deep' deep of the TV series). Given the differing levels of enjoyment of people, it's no wonder that the movie series is controversial (re: Lite Mainstream vs. Deep Existentialism).

It's not a jibe or anything. It's very common for a long-term anime watcher to become jaded -- the difference is with the degree of jadedness one feels. I feel little (since I'm easily entertained despite taking a Creative Writing master's degree), while people like, say, Kaiohshin-Sama seems to be jaded to the point that he disavows anime in general (until the next Gundam series that is).

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2010-07-23 at 07:37.
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 06:52   Link #2464
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah! And what about Misato!?! That slut has been sleeping around everywhere...
WHAT? Lies! Lies, I tell you! You big meanie, you...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 10:27   Link #2465
Greg88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
Superior training has never been a factor in Eva Every time Asuka is in a fight after bomb-angel, she's either defeated soundly or dead. So it's not like it's anything new.
But that's my main gripe. This time, she doesn't get defeated, merely back-stabbed by Nerv/Seele's machinations. Yet just before she's put in the fridge, we get the "it's the heart that matters" quip, and then Shinji goes Super Saiyan.

So, instead of the portrayal of the dangers of deluding oneself and living in endless denial of reality, we get a storyline that seems (and i'm emphasizing seems) to give a middle-finger to the very concept of prowess earned through the meticulous honing of one's skill. Add to that a " The Taming Of The Shrew" type of a character-arc with a side order of "gb2 the kitchen" and... eugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think this is one of the bigger reasons why you're not enjoying it, on top of a dislike of the Lighter and Softer nature of the Rebuild movies
I don't even think that it's that much lighter and softer. The fucked up-ness is just either less subtle and more in your face or it's covered with a coat of CGI bombast, but i don't find Rebuild to be that much happier (and i think the main blows have yet to land).

But alas, so far, for me, Rebuild has almost equal amounts of stuff that i think has great potential (i'm totally stoked for 3.0/4.0) and gives me wide, quivery eyes, and stuff that makes me want to slap Anno and run away crying. I'm a dude and i'm Tsundere for Rebuild.
Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 15:15   Link #2466
RisArk

A lot of people don't mind Shinji's "power-up" because it just made the title of 2.0's deliberate irony even more delicious.

You Can (Not) Advance.

No matter how much "happier," stable, and/or better the situation plays for the Eva crew, things will still be screwed up, people's lives will be destroyed, and the world will end.
RisArk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 17:04   Link #2467
Joe_fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisArk View Post
A lot of people don't mind Shinji's "power-up" because it just made the title of 2.0's deliberate irony even more delicious.

You Can (Not) Advance.

No matter how much "happier," stable, and/or better the situation plays for the Eva crew, things will still be screwed up, people's lives will be destroyed, and the world will end.
Well isn't that a positive way to look at it? It wasn't that much happier compared to the original though the characters where more positive overall. However, that didn't really last long.

Though Evangelion without people's lives being ruined and seing the main characters mentaly break down completely isn't really Evangelion is it? Surprisingly even though they made so many changes the story is still heading in almost the same direction as the original. We're only halfway there so I guess something really different will happen soon. It seems that with every new movie they change more things.
Who knows maybe there'll be a happy end in the end?

Anyways I just wanted to ask if there is any info out there about the 3rd movie since it should come out in the early summer of 2011 meaning less than an year from now.
Joe_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 18:30   Link #2468
RisArk

There's no info on the 3rd movie, or anything at this point. Anything you heard or read about deadlines are basically worth nothing at this point, since Rebuild became much bigger than Anno anticipated.

Heck, the reason why 2.22 took so long to come out is because essentially half of it was re-drawn/fixed.
Old 2010-07-23, 18:43   Link #2469
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Did anyone else feel that the Kare Kano music was very out of place? The songs are not bad, but I just felt they totally didn't fit their respective scenes.

Particularly in the Bardiel fight, the scene was supposed to instigate a sort of terror, showing the monstrosity of the Eva, as well as the cruelty of Gendo. I know what the song was going for (Something along the lines of komm suser todd), but it failed at doing what that did.

Also a missing aspect in Rebuild that was present in the Original Evangelion was Shinji's sexual frustration. I don't think this was made very clear at all, as it was crucial to understanding the characters in the original Evangelion.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-23, 20:18   Link #2470
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Did anyone else feel that the Kare Kano music was very out of place? The songs are not bad, but I just felt they totally didn't fit their respective scenes.

Particularly in the Bardiel fight, the scene was supposed to instigate a sort of terror, showing the monstrosity of the Eva, as well as the cruelty of Gendo. I know what the song was going for (Something along the lines of komm suser todd), but it failed at doing what that did.

Also a missing aspect in Rebuild that was present in the Original Evangelion was Shinji's sexual frustration. I don't think this was made very clear at all, as it was crucial to understanding the characters in the original Evangelion.
I think the song was intended to be inappropriate much like when Asuka got pwned by Areal in the infamous mind rape scene in the original to the Halleujah song, or something like that.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-07-23, 23:55   Link #2471
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I think the song was intended to be inappropriate much like when Asuka got pwned by Areal in the infamous mind rape scene in the original to the Halleujah song, or something like that.
Yeah, I understand that, but I just didn't feel like that was the right thing to do in this particular scene. Personal taste.
Old 2010-07-24, 00:43   Link #2472
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Yeah, I understand that, but I just didn't feel like that was the right thing to do in this particular scene. Personal taste.
Oh I see. I guess I didn't read the "somewhere along the lines of Komm Sussser Todd" well enough.

The Bardiel song + scene was ok to me though I suppose it wasn't that great in how it was used. Though, "give me wings" worked much better-- I liked how the music enhanced that scene.

See guys, I can be happy about aspects of Rebuild too!

As for Shinji's sexual frustration; yea that is kinda nil. I was gonna make a joke about Asuka not being a waste earlier but the time has passed for that.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-07-24, 03:32   Link #2473
Greg88

Quote:
Well, there is such a thing as culturally differing perceptions. Don't quote me on this, but i read somewhere that the song used in the Bardiel scene was sung at student protests in the 1960's (yes, there was a student movement in Japan too). If so, the song might give an extra feel of "Oh, how those horrible adults in power abuse these poor children".

We must remember that these films are primarily aimed at Japanese audiences.

Quote:
Seriously treated sexuality (that is, not fanservice) has been banished, yeah. I mean, look at the Misato/Kaji dynamic in Rebuild. The high tension erotica is all but gone. For something that's so heavily packed with Freudian-symbolism as Eva, this is kinda disappointing.
Greg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-24, 06:03   Link #2474
Joe_fh

Well considering the music is really symbolic in Evangelion (not all the time but in some parts) it's not that big of surprise. Though it really didn't match that much...they usually used some well known classic that represented something but I guess this song means something more to the japanese and it has it's history. Or it might have been there just to be in high contrast with what was going on but I doubt that. If what Greg88 said is true I guess that would fit best.

And yes that elemnt is sort of missing - not completely but compared to the roiginal it's gone. It's strange how both Asuka and Rei got attached to Shinji really fast, especially Asuka. Sure a movie doesn't leave you with much time to develop those relationship and everything else but still.

Thanks for the info RisArk. I though as much but there is no harm in asking.
Old 2010-07-24, 15:47   Link #2475
RisArk

Quote:
Seriously treated sexuality (that is, not fanservice) has been banished, yeah. I mean, look at the Misato/Kaji dynamic in Rebuild. The high tension erotica is all but gone. For something that's so heavily packed with Freudian-symbolism as Eva, this is kinda disappointing.
Once Shinji finds Asuka-in-a-box, he and Rei will masturbate to kingdom come.
Old 2010-07-25, 06:50   Link #2476
Joe_fh

Hahaha
But that would make it more like the original so why not....
Old 2010-08-02, 15:17   Link #2477
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I just watched the BD of 1.11 on Saturday. It was amazing. And the sound was phenomenal. The studio really did a great job. My only complaint lies with Funimation and their lazy subtitles. Evangelion is one series where you almost always have more than one speaker at a time and all they did to differentiate is adding a dash or two. What happened to using colors? BD supports up to six different subtitle colors and they only used one - white. And the font size itself was small and didn't have a black border, so if the subtitles were in front of something white, like Shinji's school shirt, they were difficult to read.
Old 2010-08-02, 15:30   Link #2478
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Evangelion is one series where you almost always have more than one speaker at a time and all they did to differentiate is adding a dash or two. What happened to using colors? BD supports up to six different subtitle colors and they only used one - white. And the font size itself was small and didn't have a black border, so if the subtitles were in front of something white, like Shinji's school shirt, they were difficult to read.
Yeah, that's a recurring issue with pretty much every FUNi release ever. I'm also fairly sure there's one case where two characters' lines are written out in the subs at the same time, with absolutely nothing distinguishing them.
(Namely, during the scene where Kensuke was trying to convince Touji to help him get out of the shelter and see the fight between Shinji and the Fifth Angel. The subs, at one point, say something along the lines of "C'mon, Kensuke... If we let this moment slip us by, it may never come again!", making it seem as if it was Touji who wanted to see the fight and was asking Kensuke for help, rather than the other way around.)

And while we're on the topic of FUNi, they recently announced that they've licensed 2.22, yay!
Old 2010-08-11, 01:08   Link #2479
ChildrenOfTheMind

Watching the 2 movies without any previous knowledge of neon genesis evangelion. I can say that they were one of the best anime movies i have ever seen. Sure there a lot of loose ends for a first time watchers but, i guess that adds to the suspense. The character development and depth really had me going, especially towards asuka.
ChildrenOfTheMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 01:28   Link #2480
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenOfTheMind View Post
Watching the 2 movies without any previous knowledge of neon genesis evangelion. I can say that they were one of the best anime movies i have ever seen. Sure there a lot of loose ends for a first time watchers but, i guess that adds to the suspense. The character development and depth really had me going, especially towards asuka.
That's a tremendously appalling way to watch this series. My elitist alarm is ringing, and it's time for me to be an elitist...

I cannot believe you have not watched the original before watching this one! The original grinds rebuild into the dust. Bah.

EDIT: Lol someone was not too happy with my quip about being an elitist.

My point about this is that even if you end up liking Rebuild better, I think the best way to truly appreciate it, or quite the opposite in my case, is to watch NGE first...

Tags
movie, remake