AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-06-10, 23:22   Link #181
wao
OK.

That is done using computer effects, it's not drawn in. The explosions and some other digital effects (like there was one bit in ep 4, don't know how to describe it though) are prolly hand drawn.

It's true that this episode didn't seem to have as good animation as before - but it still is a helluva lot better than most other shows, and they still use actions and make actual use of the surroundings to good effect. Like using the piles of tyres to hide a bit and of course the broken floorboard of the buses, etc.
Old 2007-06-11, 06:48   Link #182
wao
OK.

Oh cool, I'm going to be an annoying prick and double-post on a thread that's still on the front page! But since it's going to get buried under a few pages if I just edit my previous post I guess I'll stick with being annoying.

Anyway, they updated with the information on the 1st DVD. The cover appears to be this, which I believe was on a poster before... and HOLY MOTHER OF SACCHII THEY'RE INCLUDING THE STORYBOARD FROM EPISODE 1 AND 2 IN THE LIMITED EDITION VERSION, OSHI-! asfasfkasr;j!
...In a booklet, which might mean they'd be scaled down, but still.

Aside from that, they're also including a creditless OP and ED as well as an extra clip called "All the way until Dennou Coil is done" or something like that (電脳コイルが出来るまで), I can't translate for nuts. I'm guessing this has to be footage of the production process...

So if the first DVD has episode 1 and 2 and includes a copy of the storyboard for those episodes, does this mean that they'll do the same for every limited-release DVD after this...?

I shake my fist at thee, Bandai Visual and whoeverdecidedtheextras, because this is something very hard for a self-proclaimed poser sakuga otaku to resist! Curses!

Curses.

I so want to see those storyboards... and the production process!... aaargh.
Old 2007-06-11, 07:11   Link #183
arkon

Interesting. I was umming and aahing about whether to buy the R2s, especially after I loved the first 3 episodes so much, but that might just have sealed it. Even though I don't understand all that much of the extras and stuff I'm always interested in seeing what goes on behind the scenes.
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 10:35   Link #184
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But still 2 ep/DVD and not 3 ep? Isn't that still a little pricey even by R2 standards? Is this like a sample disc like what was done for Galaxy Angel Rune?
Old 2007-06-11, 10:42   Link #185
wao
OK.

It's 2 eps still, but the production footage is 60 minutes long. And remember that is the special edition, not a regular one. It would be pricey. It's for hardcore people/people who have a lot of $/people who really, really want to give Madhouse/Iso their money.
Special editions for other series which contain pointless things like the type of cast interview where they say the same ol' rehashed things can turn out to be more expensive... I guess they'd also have to make their niche-market money from the special edition, perhaps as a necessary (?) complement to their regular sales from the much much more reasonably priced (even compared to other releases) regular release.

I really do hope this is going to get licensed for R1, it deserves to be seen by more people although I'm not sure how well it'll do on overseas TV with the kind of shows that are popular with children nowadays. But perhaps not too early in the series' run because I do think it'd benefit if people can see the fansub first (...it is a problem if they're really high-quality and nobody wants to get the DVD after that, though )

EDIT: So as not to appear like a prick I decided to edit this post instead of post another one... yeah, anyway I wonderfully wasted my time and ended up doodling Isako, except that it doesn't really look like Isako except for the hair possibly. I sort of imagined what she might have been if she was yougner, but then her body looks like her current one so uh... alternate universe!

A bit gross in a way...
And these are the lines with a sickly green background! I like it better though.

Last edited by wao; 2007-06-11 at 17:17.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 13:10   Link #186
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But still 2 ep/DVD and not 3 ep? Isn't that still a little pricey even by R2 standards? Is this like a sample disc like what was done for Galaxy Angel Rune?
For 26 episode shows, usually it's 2 eps for the first DVD, then 3 eps for the remaining DVDs, for a total of 9.

Im not sure if Dennou Coil would be that way, or go for 13 DVDs, but since it's Bandai Visual, I'm assuming it'll be 9 DVDs.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 10:17   Link #187
orion

Got it. Thanks aardvark.

So what do you guys think...

Spoiler for ep.4:
Old 2007-06-13, 17:22   Link #188
totalnet

Quote:
Spoiler for ep.4:
Spoiler for ep.4:
totalnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 17:26   Link #189
kazune-kun

Quote:
Got it. Thanks aardvark.

Spoiler for ep.4:

I have a feeling that she was bullied.
kazune-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-13, 18:45   Link #190
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
as Totalnet touched on, the real subtext of that scene was how Isako understands people solely on their practical use and perceives human relationships as hierarchies of power. Isako accused Yasako of bullying others back in Kanazawa and wanting to make her new "debut" here in Daikoku (and personally I agree with Totalnet that this is probably a misjudgement on Isako's behalf). "You may fool others, but you won't fool me," says Isako -- in other words "I have no interest in being placed in your hierarchy", as the whole episode depicts Isako rejecting clubs and people.

While I haven't seen ep5 translated, I think that idea is more or less forwarded when Isako traps the Daikoku Hacker's Club into her own power hierarchy. All that obviously ties into Mitsuo Iso's interview quote of the theme of Dennou Coil being the "distance between people" and "that one must walk down a long, thin and winding road before they reach one's heart."

Wao: cool sketch, looks like something out of Noein
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 06:49   Link #191
wao
OK.

Episode 6 was definitely not bad either. They explained a few things behind Haraken which were very interesting, and on the other hand introduced more of the element we may ahve been wondering about - the system administrators of the city, in other words the adults.

Spoiler:

See? Look at that, so many different plot points and more layers/details to a complex and intricate world design brought about through things that happen and not overly relying on mere talking and/or external materials... but so many are passing this off as a mere kid's show... don't mind me, I'm just grumbling....

Also, another important point many have asked: Isn't it okay to just take off your spectacles or disconnect them and then you won't get hit? Can you even disconnect the spectacles?
Spoiler:

I also found the reason why Sacchiis can't enter schools, hospitals, parks, shrines and personal homes quite interesting. It's because of tatewari gyousei (縦割り行政), which is kinda describing that since the schools, shrines, parks etc. are managed by different departments and not by the Postal Service which governs Sacchii and similar matters, Sacchii can't enter them. So it's kinda like bureaucracy. Personal homes are given a different sort of network space ("Home Domain"), separate from the space outside hte house (called "Onload Domain" or something like that).

EDIT2: Another thing - I found this by stalking the jikkyou boards for the first time (and FFS, they go by at lightning speeds!!) and this is a little fanart sent in by an actual kid who enjoys the show. I believe they do this with NHK shows before they air... I think? Well, I do know they have a page on NHK where they display fanart sent in by kids.

And this is what the show looks like when you've got the subtitles option turned on. I didn't know... it also has furigana for kids who might not be able to read the kanji.

And if you're really curious to see what Haraken's mysterious aunt looks like...
Spoiler:

WTF scene of the day goes to:
Spoiler:

Also, the shoujo manga for Dennou Coil is coming out, you can see a small pic of it on the left side of this mag cover (where the green box is outlining it) and...

...all I can say is GIVE ME BACK THE ORIGINAL DESIGNS *shudders*
I probably wouldn't bear to read it. -_-
On the other hand, I'm really interested in reading the novel because it turns out they do give background info that hasn't been covered by the show yet.

Last edited by wao; 2007-06-16 at 08:15.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 07:25   Link #192
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
See? Look at that, so many different plot points and more layers/details to a complex and intricate world design brought about through things that happen and not overly relying on mere talking and/or external materials... but so many are passing this off as a mere kid's show... don't mind me, I'm just grumbling....
wao, I know you're upset that many people have not given this show a try and putting it down. I feel your pain too. This show is brilliant in how they are developing it and expanding our knowledge of the world. However, this show is ignored by the general anime fandom who are easily satisfied with shallow fare like Nanoha StrikerS, Lucky Star, etc.

For me, this show is in a very close fight with Seirei no Moribito for the honour of being the best show of this Spring season (and possibly of the year too). Both have very good depth in both story and characters residing in interesting and fascinating worlds.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 08:06   Link #193
BiZz
God ?

Hello !

I like this show xD Nice animation, nice musics, and I enjoy the universe of this anime.
Especially episode 4 is very good
BiZz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 09:13   Link #194
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
wao, I know you're upset that many people have not given this show a try and putting it down. I feel your pain too. This show is brilliant in how they are developing it and expanding our knowledge of the world. However, this show is ignored by the general anime fandom who are easily satisfied with shallow fare like Nanoha StrikerS, Lucky Star, etc.

For me, this show is in a very close fight with Seirei no Moribito for the honour of being the best show of this Spring season (and possibly of the year too). Both have very good depth in both story and characters residing in interesting and fascinating worlds.
So what are they saying then? It's always good to know what detractors of the show are complaining about. Are there any detractor sites in English?
Old 2007-06-16, 09:38   Link #195
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
So what are they saying then? It's always good to know what detractors of the show are complaining about. Are there any detractor sites in English?
The more negative comments I've read are just that it's boring (on another forum I frequent, or in the comments on Random Curiosity at one point), which isn't very specific really. I can almost see why as, despite the amazing battle sequences, it's not a particularly bombastic show; that said, I love it to bits anyway.

I think the biggest issue Dennou Coil has is that it aired "late in the day" when most people had already stacked their plates full with anime from the beginning of April, so they probably didn't bother watching it if they weren't aware it was airing already. Not everyone obsesses about Moonphase's schedule each season like I do, for instance

Anyway - episode 6 is pretty cool, although it's even more "laid back" than episode 5 was. Lots of scientific investigation into Sacchi, more Kyoko (with a new, even more amusingly annoying catchphrase by the end!), further integration of Haraken into the main cast with a lot of character development for him, and the identity of the mysterious biker is revealed!
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 10:03   Link #196
Huw M

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
For me, this show is in a very close fight with Seirei no Moribito for the honour of being the best show of this Spring season...
leongsh, you have excellent taste!

These two shows are definitely the highlight of the year. Having an interesting and well developed world is just as important to a story as good characters. As for the general anime populace ignoring it, that doesn't really surprise. It's not moe anime, which seems to be the popular thing at the moment (blerk).

I saw episode 5 (raw, so I was unable to comprehend it) - the animation was certainly more subdued, but I thought the AD did a great job. The drawings had more energy than in episode 4, where they seemed a bit mechanical, albeit incredibly well done. I love the way Densuke is drawn, he really "feels" like a dog, despite his cartoony design.

Does anyone know what the face on Sacchi has on his head? Is it a hard hat? It reminds me of the wool hat Mitsuo Iso wears...
Huw M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 10:49   Link #197
Muddle!

Send a message via AIM to Muddle!
Quote:
Got it. Thanks aardvark.

Spoiler for ep.4:
Spoiler for ep. 4:

I am also wondering about what was on the screen of information that Fumie stole from Isako shown at the end of episode four. Yasako seemed to have a reaction after reading it but there was not a translation of what it was in Ureshi's fansub. Does it say anything specific or is it just random text?
Muddle! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 12:10   Link #198
tgirl
Mystery User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddle! View Post
I am also wondering about what was on the screen of information that Fumie stole from Isako shown at the end of episode four. Yasako seemed to have a reaction after reading it but there was not a translation of what it was in Ureshi's fansub. Does it say anything specific or is it just random text?
Spoiler:

Last edited by tgirl; 2007-06-17 at 09:31.
tgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 13:21   Link #199
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Also, the shoujo manga for Dennou Coil is coming out, you can see a small pic of it on the left side of this mag cover (where the green box is outlining it) and...

...all I can say is GIVE ME BACK THE ORIGINAL DESIGNS *shudders*
I probably wouldn't bear to read it. -_-
On the other hand, I'm really interested in reading the novel because it turns out they do give background info that hasn't been covered by the show yet.
Well if it's shoujo, then Yasako must be getting a boyfriend. I wonder if it's Haraken.
Old 2007-06-16, 21:46   Link #200
zetsumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
think the biggest issue Dennou Coil has is that it aired "late in the day" when most people had already stacked their plates full with anime from the beginning of April, so they probably didn't bother watching it if they weren't aware it was airing already. Not everyone obsesses about Moonphase's schedule each season like I do, for instance
Good point and very true. I didn't know this show existed till a few days ago. Only seen the first 2 episode so I can't say more about it atm.
zetsumei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction