AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2016-10-17, 23:21   Link #1
AB079
Banned

Clash of Hexennacht

Clash of Hexennacht (激突のヘクセンナハト) is a light novel series written by Kawakami Minoru (川上 稔) and illustrated by Satoyasu (さとやす). It began serialization in Dengeki Bunko Magazine while its manga adaptation runs in Dengeki Daioh and is set for its first full novel release by Dengeki Bunko in August 2015. It takes place between Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon and the City Series, two other series by the same author.

Synopsis
The world is terrorized by the powerful Black Witch who has been sealed in the moon. Every ten years, the night of Hexennacht arrives and a chosen witch must battle the Black Witch in hopes of finally defeating her.

As the current decade's Hexennacht approaches, a mysterious girl named Kagami Kagami arrives and meets Horinouchi Mitsuru, the daughter of the previous Hexennacht representative.

Spoiler for Other volume covers:

The LN is being translated by Js06 on Baka Tsuki

----------------------

Haven't seen a proper thread for this LN so here it is.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-22, 13:17   Link #2
AB079
Banned

@Zefyris, well about the first volume I can agree that is was a pretty weak premise and considering how this was coming from Kawakami it was a let down for me.

At the start I didn't liked Hexennacht but when I read volume 2 and 3 then I noticed how the writting improved a lot, it feels super fast especially because all the main topics are literally done except for the hexennacht itself and the 1st Ranked battle that was left to volume 4.

One of the things that keeps me reading are the main 3 girls, especially Kagami since it reminds me a bit of Sayama as I pointed before. For now my thoughs on this are that this is good enough to keeps you reading and well, it's Kawakami after all and even when the LN it's giving the vibes of ending really soon (probably on vol 4 or 5) I doubt this will be the last title of OBSTACLE considering the whole premise is based on "One of countless Obstacles".
Old 2016-10-22, 13:55   Link #3
Zefyris
図書館狼

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
@Zefyris, well about the first volume I can agree that is was a pretty weak premise and considering how this was coming from Kawakami it was a let down for me.

At the start I didn't liked Hexennacht but when I read volume 2 and 3 then I noticed how the writting improved a lot, it feels super fast especially because all the main topics are literally done except for the hexennacht itself and the 1st Ranked battle that was left to volume 4.

One of the things that keeps me reading are the main 3 girls, especially Kagami since it reminds me a bit of Sayama as I pointed before. For now my thoughs on this are that this is good enough to keeps you reading and well, it's Kawakami after all and even when the LN it's giving the vibes of ending really soon (probably on vol 4 or 5) I doubt this will be the last title of OBSTACLE considering the whole premise is based on "One of countless Obstacles".
That's good to know, as I've got the second volume and will get the third by the end of the year (kawakami is the author I've read the most volume from), and I was seriously disappointed by the first one. That volume simply lacked almost everything I liked from kyouhora.
I 'll have to say that I do not consider Sayama to be that great of a MC though. I think Masazumi and Mitotsudaira makes far more interesting MC than Sayama ever was.

Well technically he can add as much series as he wants in each Era so probably not going to stop here indeed. And from the first volume, it really felt a bit outside of the whole cycle tbh. I'll see how he's going to develop and conclude that before saying anything more on that point x).
Old 2016-10-22, 14:02   Link #4
AB079
Banned

On Masazumi I can agree with you since she has the intelligence that makes her unpredictable and very likeable but... Mitotsudaira? why?

The first volume somehow jumped out of nowhere but based on the last volume of Kyouhora with all the final stage being developed (the fight against Destiny, the countless reactors trying to destroy the ley lines and the revelations of P-01s / P-01m / P-02m) Hexennacht should be placed some time after the world was saved from the apocalypse, especially if we take in consideration the SPEERS.
Old 2016-10-22, 14:52   Link #5
Zefyris
図書館狼

Mitotsudaira has a lot of development across the novel. Not simply romantically but on her relationship with her responsibilities, with her parents, with her country of adoption and her country of origin, some of the coolest fights you can get in the series, she's also a main character that the author didn't hesitate to really beat up badly; her relationship with her friend is well built across the side story and the main story, and so on.
She's a really enjoyable character to follow as she evolves across the story.

Well there's probably a few thousand of years between the two era (be careful to not spoil too much directly kyouhora here though) anyway.
Old 2016-10-23, 05:15   Link #6
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Personally I don't find any reference to Horizon events in Hexenacht so far....the whole setting is basically the Black Witch's personal plaything so it's hard to say

Anyway writing wise though, this is closer to OnC than anything else
Old 2017-02-09, 09:30   Link #7
AB079
Banned

http://dengekibunko.jp/newreleases/978-4-04-892828-1/

Volume 4 is coming out on april and yeah is pretty much confirmed this is the last volume of hexennacht. It seems Kawakami will use the CITY Series structure for the countless obstacles.

By the way volume 3 is almost completed.

Last edited by AB079; 2017-02-09 at 09:47.
Old 2017-03-09, 12:08   Link #8
AB079
Banned

This will be probably the last post for now because the ending was released in the manga, the LN is following the same story as the manga and the cover of volume 4 pretty much confirmed it.

Spoiler for Hexennacht ending:

Personally I'm a bit disappointed of this LN, it doesn't feel like something coming from kawakami thanks to the lack of character development, world building and using important characters as jobbers. It is a LN that is above the average magical girls story and it has great moments like volumes 2 and 3 but in the end failed to deliver the usual incredible feeling that is in every other title from Kawakami.

For now volume 4 is coming on april and we'll see what happens next.
Old 2017-03-10, 12:23   Link #9
EvI

So it went with yuri ending huh, such a letdown.

If anything these two are the reincanations of Margot and Malga of Horizon.
EvI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-10, 15:55   Link #10
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvI View Post
So it went with yuri ending huh, such a letdown.

If anything these two are the reincanations of Margot and Malga of Horizon.
Yep, yuri end. Personally I don't mind about those 2 ending together but the LN itself left a lot of plot holes that aren't usually present in other titles from Kawakami.

The general opinion is that Kagami is somehow close to Sayama in terms of personality, but that's just a theory.

----------------------

Forgot something, in the Amazon page there is a hint from Kawakami.

コミック版とは異なる展開に刮目せよ so is he telling us to pay attention to the differences between the manga and the LN? maybe Hexennacht isn't finished after all.

Last edited by AB079; 2017-03-12 at 11:57.
Old 2017-03-12, 11:53   Link #11
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Well it is kind of undeniable Kagami is a less perverted Sayama
Old 2017-04-04, 15:05   Link #12
AB079
Banned

Preview for volume 4 is out, in a couple of days we're going to know if this is the end of OBSTACLE era or not. After all Kawakami said there is a surprise.

http://dengekibunko.jp/books/1704hekusennahato4/?page=1
Old 2017-04-05, 01:39   Link #13
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Cover is literally a mirror of first one
Old 2017-04-08, 11:50   Link #14
AB079
Banned

And here it is, some of the illustrations of the last volume of Hexennacht. It seems like the ending was the same as the manga version but is still under confirmation considering what Kawakami said.

Spoiler for Ilustrations:
Old 2017-07-03, 23:49   Link #15
AB079
Banned

Just a heads up, Volume 4 of Hexennacht is completely translated by Js06 and with this the LN ended in the same way as the manga.

The afterword is just Kawakami saying that GT3 is next, and the preview of that just came out.

Now something interesting is this "I think shorter series like this might be best for Obstacle. After all, it feels like a place where I can keep the footwork lighter. (Although that depends on what exactly I’m making.)" Kawakami is probably going to do the same as CITY with Obstacle.
Old 2017-07-04, 17:59   Link #16
Kazu-kun

I actually really liked this novel. It does have plenty of character development, but it's presented in a pretty subtle way. The most obvious proof of the development of all the characters is their attitude about the Black Witch at the end. At the beginning, everyone just wanted to kill her, since they had their loved ones killed by her and all. But thanks to Kagami, they all end up moving on, and at the end they actually want to save the Black Witch.

So they all changed a lot, specially Hourinochi, who couldn't even look at the moon at the beginning but is full of hope for the future at the end. And now that I think about it, Kagami herself also changed. She was kind of an arrogant bitch who didn't want to admit she had being a jerk to her sister. But at the end, she does finally admit that it was all her fault and apologizes.

The only criticism I have is that sometimes the narration would get bogged down in technobabble, but this is a bad habit of Kawakami in general, not just in this novel.

In any case, it was a good read, and the ending was pretty satisfying.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2017-07-04 at 19:03.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote