AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-06-09, 10:07   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1016 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Let's do this, guys! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "It's Tama!!". Splash features Zoro.

-The chapter begins with a brief scene at the Fire Festival involving Toko and Hitetsu. The blacksmith tells Toko that the festival is held for the dead, and assures her that Yasuie is watching over them.... as well as the future of Wano. Back at Onigashima, CP0 make a reevaluation of the current battle's flow: 4000 of Kaidou's forces (specifically the Waiters and Pleasures) have jumped ship and joined the samurais' side, making the current numbers 20,000 vs. 7000. The agents are surprised by how unpredictable the situation has become. They then learn that Momonosuke has fallen off the island. Should this information be broadcast, Kaidou will regain the upper hand. Bao Huang prepares to make the announcement....

-Back to Nami's group, Zeus explains that when Hera began eating him, she also bit the tip of Nami's Clima Tact, which ended up pushing his soul into the weapon. Now the weapon is capable of talking and transforming by itself! As the group reaches the main stage, they spot Bao Huang preparing to make her next broadcast. But suddenly, Usopp gets knocked down by a certain someone who sprung back from the brink of annihilation: ULTI!!! She grabs Tama, and Nami attacks her with her newly upgraded weapon! Zeus explains that while Ulti has a tough exterior, the same cannot be said for her innards, which were damaged by Big Mom earlier. Thus, they can beat her with one more thunder blast! Unfortunately, that task is easier said than done now that the enemy pirate is holding Tama hostage. But suddenly, Usopp fires at her, forcing her to release the girl! Nami strikes back at, as she unleashes Zeus from the Clima Tact! However, the cloud declares that Zeus will no longer be his name, and urges Nami to give him a new one. When she suggests "Wata" (Japanese for cotton), he changes his mind and sticks to being called Zeus anyway, heh. Anyway, they unleash their thunder attack, but Ulti dodges! But seeing as Zeus is in control this time, he follows the enemy pirate, and zaps her good! Ulti is taken down once and for all....!!!

-Usopp manages to capture Bao Huang, who was shocked by Ulti's defeat. So shocked in fact, that she accidentally announced it to the entire island. But now that Usopp has caught her, they can use her to broadcast Tama's orders to the Gifters throughout the island! Back on the roof, Yamato faces Kaidou, who's in hybrid form. Interestingly, the King of Beasts implies he had a specific reason for choosing Wano as his base. Kaidou's offspring tells him that she knows she can't defeat him, but she can at least hold him off until Luffy returns. Then, once he's been toppled, she'll sail out to sea with Luffy! In response, the emperor tells her not to expect leniency from her father, as the two finally clash.....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-06-10 at 10:09.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 12:33   Link #2
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yamato's offspring
Kaido's offspring? Or was she a Mamato all along?

Anyways, the title sounds more like a teaser for what Tama will do next chapter rather than this one... weird.
Maybe a two-part title like with 999&1000?
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 16:37   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

As promised back then, I say Ulti coming back after getting a giant hole in her gut is bullshit. Couldn't Nami's new weapon have been tested on someone else? I do find it funny that Ulti ended up being a guinea pig for both Big Mom and Nami though.
Old 2021-06-09, 20:04   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Kaido's offspring? Or was she a Mamato all along?
LOL, maybe I should make typos more often if it leads to responses like these!

Anyway, I'm also rather disappointed that Nami took down an Ulti who was ultimately nerfed (no pun intended), but it is what it is, I guess. Oda probably felt she was too strong for Nami to beat in a straightforward fashion, so having Big Mom blast a hole through her was a sort of compromise, so to speak. Well, at least it's not another silly bubble bath battle....

Also, I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen a chorus of "OMG YAMATO FOR NAKAMA" posts now that she once again voiced her intent to sail with Luffy. Like I said back during her first appearance, if she DOES board Luffy's ship, I expect it to be a temporary affair, personally. But I'm sure there's plenty around here who are expecting a more permanent arrangement....
Old 2021-06-09, 20:44   Link #5
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

am i the only one that doesn't want Yamato to join the crew?
the whole "I'm Oden" thing is just annoying... and if she keeps that stupid gag with the crew it's going to be irritating
Old 2021-06-09, 20:49   Link #6
grecefar

Since punk hazard the mugiwaras crew always has a guest member so I'm not going to be surprise if she leaves with them for now, the same with carrot.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 21:34   Link #7
Rainbowman

Quote:
Anyway, I'm also rather disappointed that Nami took down an Ulti who was ultimately nerfed (no pun intended), but it is what it is, I guess. Oda probably felt she was too strong for Nami to beat in a straightforward fashion, so having Big Mom blast a hole through her was a sort of compromise, so to speak. Well, at least it's not another silly bubble bath battle....

Also, I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen a chorus of "OMG YAMATO FOR NAKAMA" posts now that she once again voiced her intent to sail with Luffy. Like I said back during her first appearance, if she DOES board Luffy's ship, I expect it to be a temporary affair, personally. But I'm sure there's plenty around here who are expecting a more permanent arrangement....
These moments are my main highlights of this chapter. 👍
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-09, 23:01   Link #8
Galaxian

Quote:
I've seen a lot of those post in Anitwt. How quickly fan forget about Vivi.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-10, 07:14   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
The chorus happened back when she introduced herself. And I actually expect her to be a permanent member, I think she'd fit right in and we need more females in the crew. Carrot is too weak to join at this point of the story.
Old 2021-06-10, 07:30   Link #10
Homura7

Yamato is going to join Luffy, and not as a guest, but as a permanent crewmate. When Luffy sailed he said he wanted 10 people, and now he's only missing one more. And what best time to complete your crew than in the final arc before the Strawhats set on their journey to find Laugh Tale.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-10, 09:41   Link #11
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I have to say, I'm getting BTFO'd by Oda by expecting the story to hit a tragedy soon to end Act 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
As promised back then, I say Ulti coming back after getting a giant hole in her gut is bullshit. Couldn't Nami's new weapon have been tested on someone else? I do find it funny that Ulti ended up being a guinea pig for both Big Mom and Nami though.
I had the opposite prediction. I knew for a fact that she was going to come back but I'm flabbergasted that this was how Ulti (and Page One) got taken out. I just can't believe it. It looks more like Nami won by accident than by her own ingenuity. I'm still waiting for proper fights for Nami and Ussop. Give Ulti and Page One proper fights.

Quote:
The chorus happened back when she introduced herself. And I actually expect her to be a permanent member, I think she'd fit right in and we need more females in the crew. Carrot is too weak to join at this point of the story.
I say the more the merrier: Carrot AND Yamato should join. (Law is practically a Straw Hat by now).

But even I have to admit that the longer Carrot stays knocked out during this raid, the less chance of her ultimately joining.
Old 2021-06-10, 11:02   Link #12
marvelB

Summary updated! Not really much for me to say that hasn't been said earlier, though. Diluted victory, etc. etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
am i the only one that doesn't want Yamato to join the crew?
the whole "I'm Oden" thing is just annoying... and if she keeps that stupid gag with the crew it's going to be irritating
Pfft, you're just saying that because it's Oden you hate, not Yamato. Try judging her for her actual merits, not the idea of her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
I've seen a lot of those post in Anitwt. How quickly fan forget about Vivi.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
Yamato is going to join Luffy, and not as a guest, but as a permanent crewmate. When Luffy sailed he said he wanted 10 people, and now he's only missing one more. And what best time to complete your crew than in the final arc before the Strawhats set on their journey to find Laugh Tale.
Just to clarify, I'm not really against the idea of Yamato joining in a permanent capacity, but I feel there's two big barriers that get in the way of making that a reality: The first (and I believe I brought this up when she was first revealed,) is Oden's journal. I feel it's too risky to let someone who may be privy to the world's greatest secrets join the main cast at this point. And yes, I know some may point to Robin as a counter-argument, but it's not like she's omniscient, either... otherwise, she wouldn't be hunting down the Poneglyphs in the first place (heck, I don't even think she was aware of the Road Poneglyphs until Zou). The second barrier is that I don't see any specific role for Yamato to fulfill should she join. Again, people may point to Robin, but her ability to read the ancient texts is vitally important if the crew wants to reach Laugh Tale. Even Jinbei, who joined much later, proved his worth as a helmsman by sailing the Sunny through a freaking tsunami. So unless Oda is about to reveal some really unique ability specific to Yamato during this clash with her dad, I can only see her being another Vivi, at best....
Old 2021-06-10, 11:45   Link #13
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
I say the more the merrier: Carrot AND Yamato should join.
I agree. People are too stuck on the 10 crewmates things. I'd like to see both of them onboard, but I doubt it'll happen, sadly. Carrot is probably gonna end up another Paulie.

Quote:
(Law is practically a Straw Hat by now).
Law is one of my favourites, but I think he may be better off as an ally, if not a straight crew member.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I'm not really against the idea of Yamato joining in a permanent capacity, but I feel there's two big barriers that get in the way of making that a reality: The first (and I believe I brought this up when she was first revealed,) is Oden's journal. I feel it's too risky to let someone who may be privy to the world's greatest secrets join the main cast at this point.
I really doubt this would be an issue. We'd just get a repeat of what happened with Rayleigh. Yamato would offer to say something, Luffy would tell her not to do it and it ends there.

Quote:
The second barrier is that I don't see any specific role for Yamato to fulfill should she join. Again, people may point to Robin, but her ability to read the ancient texts is vitally important if the crew wants to reach Laugh Tale. Even Jinbei, who joined much later, proved his worth as a helmsman by sailing the Sunny through a freaking tsunami. So unless Oda is about to reveal some really unique ability specific to Yamato during this clash with her dad, I can only see her being another Vivi, at best....
It's not like Luffy let Robin on board because she could read Ponegliffs. That's something that came about later. In Yamato's case, just being strong is enough of a reason for her to join, even without an official position she can do at first.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-10, 14:43   Link #14
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Summary updated! Not really much for me to say that hasn't been said earlier, though. Diluted victory, etc. etc...

Pfft, you're just saying that because it's Oden you hate, not Yamato. Try judging her for her actual merits, not the idea of her!
LOL very insightful of you. YES, i do not like oden!
if Yamato drops the whole "I'm Oden" thing then I maybe I can learn to accept her if she joins... I don't want another Oden forcing himself on the ship like what happened with Roger...
Old 2021-06-10, 17:58   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
LOL very insightful of you. YES, i do not like oden!
if Yamato drops the whole "I'm Oden" thing then I maybe I can learn to accept her if she joins... I don't want another Oden forcing himself on the ship like what happened with Roger...
You mean Whitebeard. Roger actually begged Oden to join him.
Old 2021-06-11, 06:32   Link #16
Mazkoom

Send a message via MSN to Mazkoom
Nice chapter .. I am concerned about what might be said by Otama! Sanji's reaction was strange .. Did she betray the straw hats?
Also, the best moment in the chapter was when Zeus decided to keep his name .. Seriously, NAMI! who would want to be called Cotton?
Mazkoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-11, 07:54   Link #17
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazkoom View Post
Nice chapter .. I am concerned about what might be said by Otama! Sanji's reaction was strange .. Did she betray the straw hats?
Also, the best moment in the chapter was when Zeus decided to keep his name .. Seriously, NAMI! who would want to be called Cotton?
Sanji is surprised because she's not supposed to be there and had no way to come as far as he knows. And we already what she's going to say.

With Nami getting a major power-up, Usopp is now officially the weakest Straw-hat by far.
Old 2021-06-11, 11:20   Link #18
itachi-san314

Pretty solid chapter. I'm glad Nami beat Ulti with Zeus, although I wanted that to happen in the first place and the Big Mom scene earlier was just a time waste.

I've thought from her introduction that Yamato will be the next crew member, although I do think it's weird that she knows so many secrets about Laugh Tale and her thinking she's Oden is already old for me, so I hope that stops if she joins. Maybe Kaido will hit her so hard she gets amnesia that would be annoyingly similar to what happened with Big Mom but it would explain how she can go on an adventure with them. What would be the point if she already knows what they will find?

I love the OG Oden character, but Yamato thinking she's him is just dumb. Between Yamato and Kanjuro's replicas Oden is getting tarnished for me. I hope Oda has a plan for Yamato's personality that makes it more palatable when Wano is over. The real Oden wanted to go to Laugh Tale with Roger because of the mystery. Yamato already knows so she's inherently a different character than Oden which is why it makes no sense.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-11, 12:07   Link #19
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
With Nami getting a major power-up, Usopp is now officially the weakest Straw-hat by far.
It's not too clear if Zeus still has his old powers or if he's just an aiming system for the Climatact now.

In any case, Usopp's a sniper so strength isn't in his wheelhouse.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-11, 18:39   Link #20
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
It's not too clear if Zeus still has his old powers or if he's just an aiming system for the Climatact now.

In any case, Usopp's a sniper so strength isn't in his wheelhouse.
A sniper that doesn't have enough firepower to take down his enemies is what I call weak. He did a good job supporting Nami, but his plants are really no more than a hindrance against tough guys.