AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-02, 15:11   Link #1
Hunter Nin.

Serious series with elements of romantic comedy

Anything like Full Metal Panic or The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya would be good. I don't mind if the series is mainly based around the two main characters and their romance so long as it doesn't overpower the entire series.

+ points for:

> main characters are indifferent to each other (possibly hating each other) at the beginning of the series but slowly build up a relationship

> set in a high school (but this isn't very important)

> serious and epic plot which may or may not involve the end of the world as we know it but just so happens to have two characters in it that become romantically entwined

> guns, robots, aliens, espers, combat waitresses from the future

- points for:

> childhood promises

> one of the characters is seriously infatuated with the other all the way through and must constantly battle for the others attention... unless there is a SERIOUS reason

> harem

> weak and uninteresting plot

I dunno if there are any good shows like this so I will be happy if you can come up with any suggestions thanks very much.
Old 2006-08-02, 15:44   Link #2
mit7059

Well, I would go with Honey & Clover, it certainly doesn't have any guns robots etc, but it is possibly one of the best animes of the past few years. It has a great plot, ridiculous comedy yet remains very realistic and serious. The situations acting and characters are believable and likable, and its unlicenced.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2006-08-02, 15:45   Link #3
Cyz
"Show it to me"

oookay. that narrowed the search a little lemme see....

- if you want romance with an end of the world style on it, then watch Saikano. the lovers' relationship starts off from...let's say scratch..and soon developed.

- Other animes I could recommend to you...
+ shakugan no shana
+ fate/stay night
+ gunslinger girl (for the mysterious, serious, gun blazing)
+ midori days (midori hibi)
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-08-02, 17:05   Link #4
Scorch

Maybe give Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu a try. It has a serious plot, which does include aliens. It's only 6 episodes long.
Old 2006-08-02, 17:07   Link #5
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

I think Mai HiME might be what you are looking for. It takes place in a highschool, the characters who are in love don't like each other much at first, it has a serious plot (albeit that's evident mostly in the second part of the series). But it also has a lot more female than male characters so techically you could call it a harem but I don't think it actually is one. There is a lot of fighting, too. Well, if you ask me the romantic parts suck quite a lot but maybe that's just me.

Old 2006-08-02, 17:20   Link #6
LCeh

Mmm, of the current series, Zero no Tsukaima fits, although instead of high school, it's magic school, sort of like Harry Potter.

I"s is another series that you might like, but this one is more romance/drama than action/mecha, so that rules out "guns, robots, aliens, espers, combat waitresses from the future"
Old 2006-08-02, 17:25   Link #7
Hunter Nin.

Hi thanks for the responses, I've seen Fate/Stay Night and Midori no Hibi and thought they were pretty decent. I've heard a lot of good things about Honey and Clover so I guess I should give it a go sooner or later. Saikano looks great and I will look into all the other suggestions too, cheers.
Old 2006-08-02, 17:42   Link #8
LCeh

Oh, and Pretears might also fit as well. But that one I have only watched one episode so far, so I will keep you updated I guess.
Old 2006-08-02, 18:22   Link #9
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Honey and Clover is probably what you're looking for. There are no guns, robots, or espers ... but there is a story that one can appreciate even more than Haruhi S.
Old 2006-08-02, 21:35   Link #10
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

I have a few you might want to check out before committing to.

I would recommend Honey and Clover, as I love it, but it is somewhat slow paced, and it sounds like you wanted something a little more flashy.

Wait, I have the perfect one. Chrono Crusade was a damn sweet anime. It gets points for action, it isn't high school, but a religious academy, and a relationship does build up and it has a really good ending. I might watch it again, after remembering how sweet it was.

PlanetES I would recommend for anyone looking for a good romance series. It is about a crew of garbage collectors in space. Yea, sounds lame right? Well, it is funny at times, and it has a good story and drama. The ending also gets bonus points.

Shit, watch Stellvia. It isnt romance but it has the other elements you are looking for, especially the end of the world one. Couldn't stop watching it.

Crest of the Stars + Banner of the Stars was the grandest and most epic love story I have ever imagined. You will have to commit a long time to watch in its entirety but it is completely worth it. The action consists of mostly space battles in CoTS but BoTS has a huge drama arc which I wont spoil.

In terms of awsomeness, CoTS + BoTS wins first, followed by Chrono. Check out those two first!!!
Old 2006-08-03, 00:36   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Honey & Clover for sure ......
I"s is interesting though it has a few hard-to-believe situations.
What I haven't seen mentioned:
Suzuka kind of fits the req. list but some people were annoyed with the pacing and the subtle ending.

Unfortunately, the Haruhi series is kind of unique so a strict following of your req. list leaves only Haruhi
Old 2006-08-03, 00:42   Link #12
andromeda0201

Yes I second Chrono Crusade, had thought about that when I saw your first post,

Scrapped Princess doesn't totally fit the bill since it has comedic elements but not totally romanic, but it does fit the 'end of the world' story

Fantastic Children - if you are looking for a serious and beautiful story, go for this, I wouldn't want to spoil about the 2 main characters though

Vision of Escaflowne, definitely try this, if you don't mind a slightly dated classic
Old 2006-08-03, 05:35   Link #13
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Hanbun No Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora
I think You will enjoy this. The Plot itself is very serious, but it has a lot of humor in it. It isnt one where anything weird is happening. Its more of the serious where a Guy is stuck in the Hospital because he has Hepatitis B. He always gets in trouble with the Nurse and the Nurse says she will let him do what he wants if he goes to see a girl in the other Wing who most likely will die.

Its only a 6episode download from here. You could just download the first episode and give it a try. It doesnt fit the outerspace or world in danger but its a nice romance with a lot of comedy in it.

Also, From the sounds of it, If you never seen Kenshin the 2nd Arc, Perfect for you right there. But thats asking a mircale lol.
Old 2006-08-03, 10:10   Link #14
miaka

Kare-Kano - the girl do hate him at first... but become couple in the end.
- set in high school
- its style kinda unique considering same director with Evangelion
- but no guns, mecha ... more inclined to adolescent psychology
- its licensed and old so may be you have watched it already.

Vandread also fits some of your categories
- mecha/scifi space adventure
- some romance comedy
- but also licensed and a harem/echi theme

you might also try zegapain. its also a mecha anime with some comedy elements, but i can't guarantee the plot because i haven't finished it.
Old 2006-08-04, 00:26   Link #15
Biswa

I'm also looking for anime very similar to yours (at least as far as the romance goes).

So far I've found a few good ones that match your desire (in ROMANCE) so far:
Spoiler for hopefully not ruining series, but slight hints toward the romantic progress:

Errr. I bet you're not gonna watch any of the series i suggested >_<. Oh well, hopefully it'll help me too. Can someone else suggest me shows as Hunter_Nin requested, but make sure that the romance is there. This means there can be action, guns, etc., as long as there is romance too. Thanks.
Old 2006-08-04, 01:49   Link #16
Mirai
Sata Andagi!

Biswa, watch Crest of the Stars / Banner of the Stars.
While there are a good amount of space battles, the main focus is around Junto and Lafiel. Trust me, you wont be dissapointed. I have yet to see an anime as grand and epic as CoTS while still being a romance.

Dont be fooled by the review sites. CoTS and especially BoTS is heavy romance.
Closed Thread