AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 47 46.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 28.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 15.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 6.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.99%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-24, 20:19   Link #41
ApathyEcstasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimichi View Post
Well while makoto never was my favorite character in kanon *dodges empty cans and raw vegetables* im really enjoying how kyo is pulling off her story.

The voice acting and animation where impeccable yet again. All of this is making me incredibly anxious to see how they pull off the other girls story's.

And as always cheers to Mentar and SS-Eclipse for the quality release.

lol how can you possibly have a favorite? they're ALL wonderful

and meh to ss-eclipse..i watch them when they're the first to release their subs, but if they're not, i just go for whoever is first
Old 2006-11-24, 20:26   Link #42
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Curious episode, but I must say this is a much more appealing side of Makoto than all the previous episodes I've seen. Her overall nature hasn't changed much, but she's becoming a little more receptive, and even Yuuichi agrees. Interactions with Ayu and Shiori are not present, which is a good thing since it devotes more time to the subjects at hand. Production-wise, it is a well managed episode and I like it. Story-wise, some of the conclusions made here were a little confusing but I understood it after I had watched specific scenes the second time around, so it's all good. Especially so since there is a much more established tension and heightened drama now than before. In lame man's terms, Kanon has shifted gears from funny to serious, and personally, it's about time.

Continuity gripe!

Long shot of the school from above the 2nd floor. In the distance is Yuuichi on the first floor. Take note of the male student on the 2nd floor.

Medium shot of Yuuichi from the same angle as previous.

Reverse to over the shoulder shot of Yuuichi, seeing Mai in front of her. Notice the continutity issue? The guy on the second floor from the first image is not present! Heck, for that matter, Mai is not present in the first image yet she's clearly two columns before the 2nd floor walkway in image three! lol

-----------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, Makoto is still annoying but now she's understandably so. My feelings for her are now mixed, but then her personality is mixing as well between complete immaturity to moments of shocking sensibility. Examples include how she learned to knock on Yuuichi's door before coming in and asking about keeping the cat despite Nayuki's allergies. Her evolution (and to ppl who have viewed this episode already, de-evolution) is making her more likeable and sympathetic.

As I write this, I'm thinking back to the first episode of Kanon, where Nayuki runs into a fox and begins to explain something about a legend she heard about foxes but forgets. I'm beginning to theorize that foxes play an essential role in Kanon. Yuuichi is definately no stranger to foxes, as this episode indicates. The confusing part for me this episode was the link between the present Makoto and the Makoto Yuuichi idolized as a young boy. I kept wondering if we ever got to see the latter. But really, as the story unfolded, watching the episode a second time, you begin to see that everything is falling into place. Very 6th Sense-ish, to play with the audience like that. So this is a much higher rated episode in my books than before in terms of outright seriousness.

Spoiler for theorizing; could be too revealing for ppl who haven't seen the episode yet:

Demons, amnesia, and foxes. Interesting series so far...

"It's a wild fox. It won't approach humans so easily."
"That's not true. The foxes on this hill are special. There's even an old legend about them."

- Yuuichi and Nayuki, Episode I

Something to think about.

Spoiler for Sweet Jesus, people, use the spoiler tags!:
Old 2006-11-24, 21:29   Link #43
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Zaris I wouldn't take too much into what DanielSong said. I'm not even sure he's seen Kanon before and would think it's wishful thinking (on his part) that something tragic needs to happen at the end of the series in order to make the show good. I would say more but I don't want to be spoilerish myself as Ayu's story is central to Kanon.
Old 2006-11-24, 21:40   Link #44
evil-samurai

I'm not going to be happy if they do kill off Makoto this! early in the story :/ In fact I really dont want them to get rid of her at all! Mabye they is a way to 'save' Makoto... (At least I hope there is >.>)

Excellent episode, Couldn't of ask for more Makoto in the episode There were so many Interesting moments in the show though I have to say I loved alot of the smaller conversation like the "What? Are you saying that I'm stupid and that I'm making you act the same way?"

Loved this screen shot, and the Drawing feel they gave to it.

I couldn't help but laugh every time Makoto entered the room and the reading manga moments was Great!! I just loved Yuuichi coments of it "A mushy shoujo manga.." " Never seen situation like this before.. so it was very entertaining!

Who couldn't like Makoto's way of getting Yuuichi in Bed! Piro's here so I have to be here and... looks like your saying here as well! though.. the situatuion turned around to become a little sad, Hearing Makoto when she was sleeping was hear-breaking :/ Wonder how long they will drag it out.... Still I hope that Makoto will be there till the final episode.. but its not looking too good for her.
Old 2006-11-24, 21:55   Link #45
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
Continuity gripe!

Long shot of the school from above the 2nd floor. In the distance is Yuuichi on the first floor. Take note of the male student on the 2nd floor.

Medium shot of Yuuichi from the same angle as previous.

Reverse to over the shoulder shot of Yuuichi, seeing Mai in front of her. Notice the continutity issue? The guy on the second floor from the first image is not present! Heck, for that matter, Mai is not present in the first image yet she's clearly two columns before the 2nd floor walkway in image three! lol
Actually, I don't think there was anything to suggest that there weren't several minutes separating the first and second shot. So, no, I don't think there was an issue with that.

Edit: Actually, no. After rewatching it again, it looks like you're right. But he still may have just walked off in the few seconds between the two shots showing the second floor.
Old 2006-11-24, 21:55   Link #46
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
But you pretty much know that something angsty is going to happen, especially with the path taken by the series with Makoto currently.
What's really so good so far is the transition from humor to seriousness in a short time for me. Not a lot of animes could do that easily, IMO.

Kanon doesn't need ground shattering tragedy to be a good series. It's already good enough with the mix of characters, the animation, the 'side elements' of humor and girls as well as the plot itself. I've been a little skeptical about it in the first few episodes, but it's doing pretty good now.

Spoiler:

The take on fantasy was a little heavier than I expected, but now I'm inclined to believe that Mai's demons might be real after all, even if only she can see them. Heck, we've got people like
Spoiler:

Anyway, great Makoto-centric episode. I'm starting to dislike her less now, not that there was a great amount of it in the first place.
Old 2006-11-24, 22:03   Link #47
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv165
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
Spoiler:
in fact, this episode and ep 7 answered this

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-24, 23:06   Link #48
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Thoughts about Episode 8. First off, let's start with the lighter moments:

1) Wait a minute...that second name Yuuichi gave the cat before he decided on Piro. "Shameseduka Shameo". Is that a reference to Shamisen of Suzumiya Haruhi fame in any way?

2) Yuuichi: "It's a word born from the universe that strikes the girly side of my heart from the Maiden Cosmos."

I just wanted to smack him upside down when he said all that bullcrap.

3) ROFL. Mahou Shounen Yuuichi!!! Together with his sidekick (and cook) Mahou Shoujo Sayurin, he shall save the world from all evil, and get all the girls while he's at it!!!

4) Oh, man. First Mai, now Mishio. Maybe there IS an Integrated Data Entity somewhere in the Kanonverse after all to have so many "terminals" running around in that school...

5) Makoto: "I was planning on showing you a good thing."
Yuuichi: "If it's you naked, I've already seen it."

Once again, I really REALLY wanted to smack that bastard upside over the head. Although if it was me, I sure wouldn't mind a second...alright. Somebody slap me now.

6) Damned, that was some purdy animation in the Monomi Hill scene. Grass blowing in the wind so beautifully...man.

7) Nayuki sure has great fashion sense. And OMG, I almost thought she was gonna snap Piro's neck there!

8) Check 15:17, on the top right hand corner of the magazine. That's right, "Yotota"

9) Yuuichi: "I certainly do, but the way you phrase it gets on my nerves."

Hold on a moment there. I distinctly remember Kyon of Suzumiya Haruhi fame saying something very similar to that...

10) Okay, so why is Yuuichi saying the exact same line that the voice at the beginning of most of the episodes says?

Okay. Now for the serious stuff.

Indeed, the true essence of Kanon is beginning to show itself. This is where the fun part ends, and the "crying" part begins. And cry I did; when I heard Makoto's words while she was dreaming in Yuuichi's bed. Even after knowing the story by heart, that's one scene that can still grip you, and grip you hard. In fact, this scene is more likely to resonate more with the veterans than with the newcomers who don't know any better yet.

Which is not to say the rest of this episode falls short. It doesn't; despite Mishio's resemblance to a Nagato-type alien terminal, the grief certainly shows through in just the correct way. Props to whoever the voice actress for her was.

The plot, too, is now very obviously delving deeper into the first arc. Finally KyoAni decides to do without Shiori or Ayu for once; props for that. And extra props for weaving Mai even deeper into the core storyline - while newcomers may not see it as yet, one can sense the feeling that she's in far deeper than she was in the first anime, and although I've never played the game, I'm pretty sure she plays even more of an integral role here than she originally did. Hints are all over the place on this one, and if that's not enough, Yuuichi's flashback has now provided the key to which anyone can infer the truth behind everything. If I go on anymore I risk going into spoiler territory, but in any case, this episode is shaping up nicely for what's about to come. It can only get better from here onwards.

Thus, the first Perfect 10 I ever gave for this series of Kanon.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-11-24, 23:35   Link #49
nuclearwar

You know, I remember watching the 2002 version and feeling like I was socked in the gut by a sledgehammer when watching Makoto's story. Now I'm watching this story all over again, and it's feeling exactly the same way. I hope I can get through it this time
Old 2006-11-24, 23:38   Link #50
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

I don't think he just accepted Mishio's statement. He'd already put things together on his own. Especially realizing that Sawatori Makoto was the name of his first crush and he'd only told his fox. He'd started realizing Makoto was that fox before he talked with Mishio the second time.
Old 2006-11-24, 23:51   Link #51
LCeh

Once again, loved the humor in this episode. Yuuichi really makes this show very fun to watch.

And maybe I am just slow, but as someone who didn't watch the original series, I can barely pick up any foreshadowing. Maybe I need to go back and rewatch all the episodes again.
Old 2006-11-25, 00:51   Link #52
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Actually, I don't think there was anything to suggest that there weren't several minutes separating the first and second shot. So, no, I don't think there was an issue with that.

Edit: Actually, no. After rewatching it again, it looks like you're right. But he still may have just walked off in the few seconds between the two shots showing the second floor.
I
noticed too could it be the creepy class president guy...his name escapes me ^-^" I thought I saw him when Amano was watching the two girls. All like crouched down 0_+
Old 2006-11-25, 02:31   Link #53
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApathyEcstasy View Post
lol how can you possibly have a favorite? they're ALL wonderful

Its a erogame adaptation...Your suppose to pick a favorite...So you can then go and blow all your money on cleverly made merchandise of said character and fight others on internet boards over which girl is clearly superior.

Ahem but yea ive always had a soft spot for ayu although im liking what kyo has been doing with shiori...I wont say I dislike makoto but shes at the bottom of the pile.
Old 2006-11-25, 08:28   Link #54
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Akiko made this episode for me, her school type outfit was the ultimate win.. i've had to rewatch a few scenes just for her. <3
Old 2006-11-25, 10:35   Link #55
Kisuke06
I see...

This episode was very nice. Very emotional. So, Makoto is a fox? That was quite unexpected. Sad, she lost her memories and she will eventually die, just to see Yuuichi again. Well, that's real love I think.
Old 2006-11-25, 14:42   Link #56
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

***I only used spoiler tags here to reduce the size of the post. Not really any spoilers in there.***

Spoiler for Continuity gripe:

Not too much to add here. An Ayu-less ep not even a prologue, but a "10" still. It's sad to see Makoto getting sicker, but this is where the crying starts after all. I was dreading Mishio's appearance because of what it meant to Makoto's story. Her VA is great. I cried during the TV broadcast of the original The Little Mermaid too.

I loved how they filled in parts of Makoto's backstory via flashbacks and how Yuichi now feels that he is dreaming.

At least we can take comfort in that Kyo-Ani isn't holding back.
Old 2006-11-25, 15:22   Link #57
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hm, this was good, but didn't quite meet my expectations.

Spoiler:

Also, another thing i noticed - it has been 2 episodes without the dream sequence in the begining... is there a significance(sp?) to this or did the authors run out of ideas for the dreams ?
Old 2006-11-25, 15:30   Link #58
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Hm, this was good, but didn't quite meet my expectations.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2006-11-25, 16:39   Link #59
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Also, another thing i noticed - it has been 2 episodes without the dream sequence in the begining... is there a significance(sp?) to this or did the authors run out of ideas for the dreams ?
IMO it indicated that the prolouge and introductions are over. Now we're in the real thing.
Old 2006-11-25, 16:39   Link #60
Pakxenon
popcorn

7/10.

-No Ayu. >=(
-the truth was put too bluntly/I got no hints since the beginning.
-too much Makoto.
-wtf green grass??? I will assume it's some sort of magic.
-the episode felt rushed/couldn't pack enough things in.
-Yuuichi's comments kept the episode funny. ^^
Closed Thread