AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-01-03, 07:38   Link #481
winter45

Hmmm.... Bit of going on about Ranka VA requirements (specificly for singing)

I wont pretend that I know anything about music or singing, but finding a VA for Ranka for singing, would that suggest that sheryl will only be temporily in the show or have a minor role as the serie go on?

OR!!!!

Does it mean the style of singing requires much more talent (like minmey songs) oppose to sheryl (sharon apple) style?

(I dont know anything about music in general and style of singing if there is such thing as easy or hard songs to sing)

Unfortuantly i cant find much specific info for the choices for the singing aspect for MF. If the info has been released could some pls direct me to the right direction. Just curious on how 2 Potential big singing stars are going to play out. (would be very differnt for Macross if this is the case)
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 08:03   Link #482
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

To me having a publicized singing talent for Ranka means that she will get a good share of the songs in the series. Ranka's VA already did the ED song apparently.
Old 2008-01-03, 08:05   Link #483
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter45 View Post
Hmmm.... Bit of going on about Ranka VA requirements (specificly for singing)

I wont pretend that I know anything about music or singing, but finding a VA for Ranka for singing, would that suggest that sheryl will only be temporily in the show or have a minor role as the serie go on?

OR!!!!

Does it mean the style of singing requires much more talent (like minmey songs) oppose to sheryl (sharon apple) style?

(I dont know anything about music in general and style of singing if there is such thing as easy or hard songs to sing)

Unfortuantly i cant find much specific info for the choices for the singing aspect for MF. If the info has been released could some pls direct me to the right direction. Just curious on how 2 Potential big singing stars are going to play out. (would be very differnt for Macross if this is the case)
We don't know. There hasn't exactly been much detail on what exactly will Macross Frontier go about as its main plot, other than the obvious 'story of Alto and the obligatory love-triangle against a backdrop of VF dogfights.'

Speculative-wise, if we treat the idea that Ranka will be the main heroine and the Miss Macross of Frontier, it would be far more effective, story-line wise, if it goes about the cliche of a small-time idol-wannabe fangirl that slowly becomes her own star. It's never been a case of talent or anything, it's the in-show portrayal of how the songs are going to be the catalyst in Macross. Let's not forget Minmei did not start off as Miss Macross and the legendary singing idol in the Macros universe from episode 1. These kind of events require build-up for it to be truly effective, story-wise. This isn't any short OVA like + or 0, where Sharon Apple was already there early on, and how singing wasn't really even a factor in 0, other than the whole birdman thing.

Even if Ranka slowly becomes an idol (( I speculate she'll first start at the school stadium/stage )), I don't see Sheryl losing her stand as a singing character. If anything, their contrast and 'singing-soul' will be the factor of the characteristics.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 08:12   Link #484
Westlo
Lets be reality

Well it's probably going to be an established superstar in Sheryl Nome vs an up and coming rising star (at least as far as the Frontier colony residents are concerned) in Ranka Lee with everyones favorite Hime-sama in the middle of them. While all signs in episode 1 point to Ranka/Alto, Sheryl will obviously became more fleshed out throughout the series while Ranka will have to deal with becoming a big star, and we saw how well that worked out for Minmay and Hikaru... Also whatever contest (or whatever) Ranka joins to become this up and coming idol will probably be judged by Sheryl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
To me having a publicized singing talent for Ranka means that she will get a good share of the songs in the series. Ranka's VA already did the ED song apparently.
She did, from http://www.gabrielarobin.com/

Original Version Credits:

Sung by: Iijima Mari
Lyrics: Kazumi Yasui
Composer: Kazuhiko Katou
Arrangement: Nobuyuki Shimizu

Kanno’s Version Credits:

Sung by: Megumi Nakajima
Lyrics: Kazumi Yasui
Composer: Kazuhiko Katou
Arrangement: Yoko Kanno
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 17:00   Link #485
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Well it's probably going to be an established superstar in Sheryl Nome vs an up and coming rising star (at least as far as the Frontier colony residents are concerned) in Ranka Lee with everyones favorite Hime-sama in the middle of them. While all signs in episode 1 point to Ranka/Alto, Sheryl will obviously became more fleshed out throughout the series while Ranka will have to deal with becoming a big star, and we saw how well that worked out for Minmay and Hikaru... Also whatever contest (or whatever) Ranka joins to become this up and coming idol will probably be judged by Sheryl.
I wonder why Sheryl must stay in Frontier long enough to allow Ranka catching up. I think she should not stay long and Frontier would want to send her back M-Galaxy as soon as possible since Frontier is in the center of batllefield now and there would be a inter-Macross issue if Sheryl get hurt.

Beside that, I wonder where is Frontier's own singing idol?
Old 2008-01-03, 21:25   Link #486
orion

Maybe, they will use Sheryl as the judge for a Frontier idol contest. It's inevitable that her time in the sun won't be for too long anyways. Sheryl's an aging idol. Someone younger has to be like her doing other concerts too since she's popular.
Old 2008-01-03, 21:35   Link #487
4Tran

Sheryl is seventeen. I doubt that it's accurate to label her as an "aging idol".
Old 2008-01-03, 21:40   Link #488
orion

Well, she won't be 17 forever. Once she gets past age 20 she won't be as attracting as she once was. She looks 20ish now. Imagine how old she'll look like in 3 years. I believe that her target audience is teen and early 20 something males from her S&M concert outfits.

There's probably a good reason why the older real ones in magazines are dressed in younger clothes.

So does anyone know what the career lifespan of a female Japanese idol singer is?
Old 2008-01-03, 21:46   Link #489
herbert

But Ranka is 15, I can tell you, she is not much younger than Sheryl. Seriously, what make you think two years difference in age makes that much difference?
Old 2008-01-03, 21:51   Link #490
orion

Because Ranka is age appropriate in looks and behaviour and Sheryl looks more maturer than her stated age. If she continues to look older than her target population may loose interest. The appearance of a performer is as important as the music and talent imo.

Ranka also may look younger depending on how you dress her. An advantage in an industry that relies on outward appearances for income generation.
Old 2008-01-03, 21:58   Link #491
winter45

@ Orion

What and where are you basing this age limitations for macross pop idols? Im so confused from where you are basing your ideas from.

And honestly I dont think 17 is that old... IIRC minmei was 15 to 16 in the macross series and portryed that she is still going strong even after the series has ended.

Unless its cannon for macross singers to have a 2 year lifespan then pls let me know.
winter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-03, 21:59   Link #492
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Because Ranka is age appropriate in looks and behaviour and Sheryl looks more maturer than her stated age. If she continues to look older than her target population may loose interest. The appearance of a performer is as important as the music and talent imo.

Ranka also may look younger depending on how you dress her. An advantage in an industry that relies on outward appearances for income generation.
I wouldn't put any money on the whole 'target population' thing. She does seem to be quite huge of a star, with enough influence to 'wing' it and say 'no' to interviews and all that without any fear that it'll dent her status.

Besides, from anime's standard, it would be ridiculous for Sheryl's (( possible )) upstage to be from such a low-down method. That is just not... the music of Macross in more ways than one.

That, and the 17 years old-aging thing really holds little weight. This is Macross, where cloning technologies to turn 9 meter tall giants to human-size exist.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2008-01-03, 23:40   Link #493
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Well, she won't be 17 forever. Once she gets past age 20 she won't be as attracting as she once was. She looks 20ish now. Imagine how old she'll look like in 3 years.
In 3 years time she will probably look exactly the same...
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 00:41   Link #494
kujoe
from head to heel

An idol's lifespan doesn't exactly have to do with her age. It's more about the maturity of talent in my opinion. Heck, we even have old singers and bands that are revered even today for different reasons. And even after they retire, a few become "legendary" for whatever contributions they gave to the music scene.

While Sheryl and Ranka don't have a status as significant as Minmei's (the voice that launched a thousand ships so to speak...) saying that they'll retire because they might be getting wrinkles in two or three years is a bit too much.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 02:45   Link #495
RamzaOwns
GUN道奥義 「賢者の舞」

old or not, ranka's VA did win the audition, so she would most likely get the majority of the songs to sing
RamzaOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 02:52   Link #496
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Around 20 years is pretty young for seiyuu-idols though...

Also consider Hirano Aya is OLDER than Ranka's seiyuu and Megumi Hayashibara can still doll out the cute 5-year-old-voice and she can still sing. 40 years old and with a child no less.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 04:44   Link #497
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!

Megumi Nakajima on the left. Mari Iijima on the right.

Ranka Lee x Lynn Minmay
pinoy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-04, 11:54   Link #498
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
oh haruhi!

loved Megumi Hayashibara voice! her songs still gets my heatbeat going!

And personally minmay actually set the standard for the acceptable age for idol singers, after all the current humans you see in the macross universe are all descendant of the SDF-1 city refugees, since the zentradi committed genocide and razed the earth clean.

i think 14-17 is a normal starting age, and i suspect this will continue until the idol falls out of popularity or retires.

Singing idol who are in a way, the warriors of "culture" are very much an asset to be used against other potential aliens as a alternative weapon and are not to be underestimated as history shows.

its no wonder that the military was given the task to her security and not the civil judicial enforcers.
Old 2008-01-04, 12:01   Link #499
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
oh haruhi!

loved Megumi Hayashibara voice! her songs still gets my heatbeat going!
lol what?

Either you're being off-topic on purpose, (( Hayashibara has no role in MF )), or you're mistaking newcomer Nakajima with veteran semi-retiree Hayashibara.

Old 2008-01-04, 12:15   Link #500
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
lol what?

Either you're being off-topic on purpose, (( Hayashibara has no role in MF )), or you're mistaking newcomer Nakajima with veteran semi-retiree Hayashibara.
im not off topic. i was discussing MF in my post. (read it!)

As for Hayashibara, her songs rock. you gotta listen to them.

lots of emotion in it...abit like the seiyuu for basara, mind you, the idol in MF songs, which you can hear, has no "spirita" energy of any sort, maybe she'll improve over the series? i hope so.

its a bit like it has some influence from sharon apple....

probably was, wonder if that incident was covered up or exposed?

hmmm..... i mean the colonies are quite easy to reach, i guess once you know where they are, folding to them is just a few extra hours, once you know what's waiting for you.

It kinda explains when they don't just cruise in normal space, then simply fold to a planetary system and head straight for a planet.

I suspect that they just fold to the edge of a planetary system heliopause then cautiously cruise in-system.

Tags
action, romance