Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-09-17, 14:06   Link #3301
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Get the Shonen Advance version of the manga, it has zero edits and censors, its just like the original.
Quoted for the truth! And the 2nd volume has a bonus Naruto sticker!.

Buying translated licensed manga gives me the reason to delete my raws and scanlated files.
Old 2008-09-17, 14:13   Link #3302
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Get the Shonen Advance version of the manga, it has zero edits and censors, its just like the original.
Total bull there i'm afraid. Thats the copy i have and the amount of changes in it are ridiculous

Quote:
I'm kind of interesting on what you mean by a hatchet job, since I'm not familiar with the world of manga. Do you mean the translation? localisation? Or just changing minor detail of the characters.

If you're talking about the manga I find something wrong with this comment. In general a licensing of the manga in other countries should have the same story/character as its original counterpart and the only difference should be the mere translation of the series. Having the storyline isn't a reason as it is suppose to be a translation.

Viz rewrite parts of the script, removed terms, dumbed down scertain scenes, and, as with almost all of their shonen line up, over localise it. Basically they try to make the shonen titles apeal to comic book reader, but in doing so tey alienate a lot of true manga reader. They also have a habbit of making the characters sound like stuck up surfer brats, although TP still holds the title for the worse release ever with Psychic Academy.

As for the rest, you're right. When a company license a manga they are supposed to only change the language it's using. The key word there though is supposed. In truth, Viz tend to do complete rewrites of their shonen line ups. Some of the worst i've seen are the Kenshin, Recca and Inuyasha series. Inuyasha apparently has characters having sex chages and name changes every now and again (i never got past volume two of it it was so bad >.<)

The reason Viz do it is as i said, to increase the audiance. Rosario on it's own, because of the language used, and the partial nudity that happens occasionally, not to mention the nympo loli, would be an older teen title, 16+. However by the rewriting and edits, they can reduce it to a teen rating, increasing the audience.

Though Shonen Jump Advance was supposed to be for the more mature titles, the truth is they just changed the name and format a bit. They keep everything else the same.

The problem is none of the fans really do anything about it. Sure they decry viz for the hatchet jobs, call them names yadda yadda yadda, but when it comes down to it they still go out and buy the titles. So Viz see it as a successful enterprise, and have no desire to change it.

I did a review of Viz's version on my blog, but here's what i had to say about it:

Quote:
I wish I could say that Viz had done an excellent job on this, but I can’t. I can’t even say they did an average job. This series has been butchered so much I hardly recognised it.

Almost immediately I found it annoying with the edited and translated SFX’s, I hate it when they do this. Admittedly that alone wouldn’t be enough for me to hate the series, but it put me in a foul mood. Next we have the script rewrites. At times they’re a complete rewrite, and overall I found that the book has had an almost total script rewrite.

I don’t understand the need for this, the blatant dumbing down and muting of the language used is pointless. The older teen label is for manga rated 16+, so some language is to be expected. However it’s been dumbed down to an almost kindergarten level.

Why rate something as older teen if you’re going to dumb it down?? I’m terrified how they’re going to handle things later on when the loli character turns up and starts hassling Moka and Aono to get in a three some with her >.< I can see Viz totally rewriting that as something stupid *sighs*

I guess I’ve grown spoilt with Shojo Beat, which is handled exceptionally well. The Shonen Jump team should take some lessons from them on how to translate and edit manga!!

While I love this series, I can’t recommend anyone buy it. To be honest I’d say spend your cash on something worth buying, and just get the scanlations of this series, which is how bad it is. As it is, Viz’s version goes on my Junk Pile, the first for a series I love
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 14:21   Link #3303
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Total bull? How about I prove it to you? You can bitch and moan all you want, but what I have is completely uncensored.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 15:14   Link #3304
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Go ahead and prove away, but i got news for you, there's nothing to censor in volume one at all, partial or other wise. What was censored, or in this case rewritten, was the script.

How do i know? Simple, i hired a professional translator, paid her £200 and had her translate volume one for me. Then sat down and did a comparison, wrote an article on it, and sent it off to Viz for comments. I also wrote and sent the aritcle off to Kodanasha to hear about the japanese publishers view on rewrites, Tokyopop, Yen Press, Del Rey, and DH. Once they've all responded i'll be finishing an article and publishing it on my blog. Probably around the end of the month.

In regards to R+T it's not untill the later volumes where we get parial nudity. If Viz follow true to form, they'll remove the nipples. Though how removing a nipple ceases to make a breast a breast is beyond me lol.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from Viz though, the initial reply i got was asking me to hold off posting my article until they'd had a chance to review the points i raised in it.
Old 2008-09-17, 15:24   Link #3305
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

In that case, be prepared to be stupified, jealous and angry that you live in europe.
Old 2008-09-17, 15:29   Link #3306
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Why, the copy i have is the american one. R+T isn't officially released in the UK so all copies on sale over here are american imports, in other words exactly the same as whats on sale in the US.

Also, just checked volume two, there's no nudity partial or otherwise in there either.

Viz doing rewrites is nother new, almost all of their shonen lineup have had rewrites to some extent. PoT (I havent read PoT, thats from other reviewers) and recca (Which i reviewed a year or so ago) being two of the worst.

The dumbing down is nothing new either, it's basically Viz determined to make a square peg fit in a round hole.
Old 2008-09-17, 15:44   Link #3307
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Samples from Vol.1

Spoiler for Image:

Sample from Vol 2

Spoiler for Image:

Now, are you still gonna tell me that its censored?
Old 2008-09-17, 15:57   Link #3308
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

as i said, there's nothing in vols one or two TO censor. The only things Viz censor is nudity, there is none. Panty shots are not nudity.

It's not until the later volumes we get partial nudity, so until that is actually published it's impossible to say whether it's censored or not. As i said though, what they did censor in volume one (havent read 2 yet, can't stomach it yet) was the script, by way of re-writes. Please read what i'm typing
Old 2008-09-17, 16:06   Link #3309
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

As far as scripts are concerned, you'll have to be more specific. I notice nothing different outside of grammar. Unless you're one of those who goes. "OMG, he said she instead of them!!!!"
Old 2008-09-17, 16:13   Link #3310
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

You'll have to wait for the article for that, since i used volume one of R+T for the basis of it. But if you think they're the same, then i think you need to get some glasses and reread them >.<
Old 2008-09-17, 16:21   Link #3311
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I think its you that needs to stop being so anal about it. And also, how much story is there at this point? And another thing, the grammar in the scanalations are terrible, a friend of mine dropped the series because he couldn't stand reading it. Now unless you're reading the original japanese version. I suggest you not base your opinion on whats what on the scans.
Old 2008-09-17, 16:27   Link #3312
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

*sighs* please for god sake read what i wrote will you. I hired a professional translator to do volume one as a comparison for me.

Viz have already admitted several times they do rewrites as well.
Old 2008-09-17, 16:38   Link #3313
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Ok, I re-read what you said, and theres still nothing of the sort you're bitching about.You sure the guy didn't just take your money and went off whats already been translated?

Yukari still molests Moka and Tsukune. There's no surfer, or any other american esk accents. Yes its true that localizations tend to do stupid shit like that. But, that doesn't mean it had happened with R+V.

Now, I'll wait for your "article" to see the specifics, but as far as I'm concerned, Theres nothing to bitch about. And believe me I'm always the first to rag on localized series.
Old 2008-09-18, 07:56   Link #3314
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

imo as long as the licensed doesn't censor any images like nudity and blood and gore Iam fine with it. I can always search for proper translations for what he/she said in a certain scene.
Old 2008-09-18, 08:06   Link #3315
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
imo as long as the licensed doesn't censor any images like nudity and blood and gore Iam fine with it. I can always search for proper translations for what he/she said in a certain scene.
same here id be so annoyed if they censored the colorful images that happen to ghoul tsukunes' victims.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 09:31   Link #3316
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Maybe I'm missing a point here, but with the part about translations being off-

admittedly, I only have one source to back this with, but another series that I'm reading, Mahou Sensei Negima, the first few volumes were extremely horrible translations. Now I have no idea who did the translating, but it was revealed that someone by the name of Peter David did the editing for the series, and was also the one to blame for the horrible translations. As far as I know, the translators do their job of actually translating all the Japanese correctly- it's the editors who take those translations, and butcher them in some sort of attempt to make things more appropriate for English speakers, or other BS.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the translators for Viz did their job right- it's the damned editors for Viz that fuck everything up (and this is with regard to the spoken stuff only- I don't have a case for the images)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 09:36   Link #3317
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

One reason to buy teen to 18++ mature comics for me. They should categorized them and not try to sell them and make it kid friendly. The companies should remember that manga's in Japan has different genres.

Hmm...this is kinda refreshing to take my mind off that certain chapter.
Old 2008-09-19, 06:51   Link #3318
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

New R+V Capu2 image.

Spoiler:

Mizore and Kurumu are the ones in front this time.... $33 for the mousepad...hmmm.... XD
Old 2008-09-19, 07:23   Link #3319
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
Seeing that picture reminds me what a wonderful harem he has. Yukari and Kokoa just need to grow 5 years each and banzai!
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-19, 07:26   Link #3320
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

without Tsukune in that picture makes it irrelivent.

Tags
action, comedy, ecchi, harem, monogamy, romance, shounen, supernatural, tsumoka romance, vampire