AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-21, 02:36   Link #161
mit7059

I just waited up for 2 hours to watch this thing finish downloading. I'm pretty pissed right now, I normally don't criticize fansub groups because they are doing me a service for free but for once I will. Shiki just wasted my time, and if the only point was to try to get the people who upload the episodes to the streaming sites this could have been avoided, I checked their website right after I started the download, the least they could have done would be to put up a warning on the site about this, the idiot uploaders aren't going to read their site, or they could have put a warning in here. Very very poor form. I look forward to a real release of episode three, I'm considering not downloading from Shiki anymore because I don't know when they'll waste my time again. I'll just wait for Central to sub it. Go ahead and negative rep me, I'm angry, flaming and I know it, but I feel that my opinion is entirely justified.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 02:52   Link #162
The Stig
The Stig

i was a victim too. I thought it was weird that episode 3 got released so soon. Le sigh
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 03:00   Link #163
War_lothar

I think of the same way. I visited his site and they didnt write in his blog about it. I know that they dont give a damn if we are downloading it or no. But i prefer to wait centralanime From now on.
War_lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 03:09   Link #164
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by War_lothar View Post
I think of the same way. I visited his site and they didnt write in his blog about it. I know that they dont give a damn if we are downloading it or no. But i prefer to wait centralanime From now on.
Despite the troll I probably won't download either CA or ANBU until they catch up to Shiki-subs, unless the manga translation thing was true after all. :|
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 08:01   Link #165
jpwong

Has CA improved that much? I got one of their first releases of Ookiku Furikabutte and it was so awful that it really put me off their group at the time.
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 08:32   Link #166
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Has CA improved that much? I got one of their first releases of Ookiku Furikabutte and it was so awful that it really put me off their group at the time.
Well, download #1 and take a look. We have an encoder who really knows what he is doing.

Yes, we still use a yellow font. We have used a standard yellow dialog font for EVERY release we've ever done. We find it to be the best color combo to our tastes. But if you can't get past a simple font color and enjoy our masterful work, oh well, your loss. I put up with many other groups' strange fonts, chara-colors and such - but I enjoy their works as long as I can read the font. That is the most important thing for fansubs, don't ya think? I judge a fansub on translation, readability and timing.

Now, as to Ookiku, our earlier versions were captures before we figured out how to rip the DVDs. I didn't like them in the beginning so we redid them. But since it is now licensed I can't show you the newer versions.

Last edited by Heibi; 2009-04-21 at 09:15. Reason: added comment
Heibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 08:47   Link #167
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Checked out Jade, MJN, and Central Anime. I'm surprised that Saizen isn't fansubbing this also. MJN and Central Anime are solid overall. Jade is also good. They are a new group so they will need some time to catch up to other groups in regards to encoding, typesetting and etc. Their base, which is translation, is good. And that's the most important aspect of fansubbing anyway. Hopefully, people at Jade won't be discouraged by a few criticism.

Watched episode 3 raw:

Looks like the series will maintain at a laid-back pace. Koh is slowly starting to showcase his talent for pitching. The future of team is shaping up nicely with the probable candidates highlighted. Those seniors are a sorry-bunch. There were few other things I was going to mention about the episode as I was watching it, but I forgot about what those were. I should have posted right away in the thread.

P.S. A site staff has been notified about the recent episode by Shiki-Subs.

Last edited by monir; 2009-04-21 at 08:59. Reason: screencap added
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 10:33   Link #168
typhonsentra

Way to go Shiki, very nice way to kill your cred! It wasn't even a funny troll like the House episode GG uploaded for Mariaholic.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 11:10   Link #169
The Stig
The Stig

Lets not get too angry at Shiki because, after all, they are providing fansubbing service and all they ask is not to use their work in a manner not intended. (Also lets not make this a matter of "oh well the anime studios didn't want their stuff to be fansubbed so that's abuse also") While I might not agree with the way they decided to handle it, it certainly is effective.

As far as CA goes, I've been using them for various anime since Initial D and I have no complaints about their quality. The yellow font kinda makes it look alittle old school but its fine.
Old 2009-04-21, 12:12   Link #170
mit7059

Except that I will get angry at Shiki because we're not the ones who used their work improperly. This is the fansub equivalent to the cough syrup industry getting people to stop using their product to make meth by replacing it with poison. Yeah you really stick it to the guys making meth, but you've also killed off your legitimate consumer base.

And I've got nothing but love for Central, I'm still massively in their debt for them bringing oofuri into my life.

Old 2009-04-21, 13:01   Link #171
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

I like Central as well. I've been following them since way back in the day of VHS tape trading (Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Laputa, etc.)

I also like Jade, but I'm a little biased since I've been doing the translations for CG for them.
nihon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 13:45   Link #172
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihon View Post
I like Central as well. I've been following them since way back in the day of VHS tape trading (Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Laputa, etc.)

I also like Jade, but I'm a little biased since I've been doing the translations for CG for them.
Ah, someone who has been around fansubbing as long as me.

You picked a good show to work on. My editor keeps telling me the stuff that happens in the future of the show. It just sounds like the show will get better and better.
Old 2009-04-21, 15:19   Link #173
The Stig
The Stig

Ever since that little "preview" from Shiki I've been kinda longing for episode 3, haha
Old 2009-04-21, 16:03   Link #174
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heibi View Post
Ah, someone who has been around fansubbing as long as me.

You picked a good show to work on. My editor keeps telling me the stuff that happens in the future of the show. It just sounds like the show will get better and better.
Yeah, I remember nth-generation tapes where the color had bled out because they'd been copied so many times. And it was usually raw anime with someone in the club giving a running translation as the show was playing.
Old 2009-04-21, 16:08   Link #175
nihon
夢見たい
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Ever since that little "preview" from Shiki I've been kinda longing for episode 3, haha
I know I'm in the middle of translating it, and I'm sure there are others, too. Jade will hopefully have ep.3 up by the end of the week or so.
Old 2009-04-22, 00:00   Link #176
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Lets not get too angry at Shiki because, after all, they are providing fansubbing service and all they ask is not to use their work in a manner not intended. (Also lets not make this a matter of "oh well the anime studios didn't want their stuff to be fansubbed so that's abuse also") While I might not agree with the way they decided to handle it, it certainly is effective.

As far as CA goes, I've been using them for various anime since Initial D and I have no complaints about their quality. The yellow font kinda makes it look alittle old school but its fine.
Shiki is barely even doing the work on their fansub. The majority of their "Translations" have been taken from the manga scanlations, even when it makes the anime line wrong.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 02:04   Link #177
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneizel View Post
Shiki is barely even doing the work on their fansub. The majority of their "Translations" have been taken from the manga scanlations, even when it makes the anime line wrong.
Read through your argument. Well made, so it would appear the Shiki are hypocrites yelling at people for stealing their work (which they distribute for free) even while they seal someone else's. I'll be honest I don't even understand the problem with uploading the series to streaming sites, it's still the same show, its still go the same subtitles. Are they just mad because they're not getting the credit? Or is it because they're angry that megavideo or whoever is making money off the ads? How much money did they waste via bandwidth for everyone who downloaded the troll, I'm never downloading a Shiki sub again. I'll just wait for a good sub group like central. I hope Shiki goes through on their threat and disbands.

Old 2009-04-22, 03:54   Link #178
fleng

shiki subs just release episode 3 again? IS IT TROLLING US AGAIN?
fleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 07:57   Link #179
AlaAlba

hmm, I uploaded the ED to megaupload... anyone need it?
AlaAlba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 07:57   Link #180
Doan

when you read the page of Shiki, youll see his(a one man group) reasons for makeing this troll.
I dont see why, ppl get so angry about it. Dont forget he's doing it for free, no one of you paid for it.
so stop complaining and wait for the release of another group.

this makes me remember when once in a morning a beggar entered the subway asking for money. she did stink as if the took a bath in crap. everyone ignored her, holding their scarfs etc. under the nose(because of the smell). only one person(a girl right in front of me) picked purse from her bag, takeing out all her changemoney.
when she gave it to the beggar, she(the beggar), after looking at the money, threw it back at the girl, yelling "what the hell am i supposed to do with this small coins" and then leaving to enter the next waggon.
Doan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports