AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-04, 11:19   Link #181
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran~ View Post
That line was taken from Kyon's mouth...
LITERALLY TAKEN, WITH THE TONGUE STILL BLEEDING

In general, I personally find women who have long hair look more attractive when they put their hair up or tie knots; I found Mio multiple times more adorable because of that when she wore her hair like that on the beach in episode 4 and in her bedroom in episode 5...

...either that, or simply getting tired of her typical look...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-05, 08:38   Link #182
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
LITERALLY TAKEN, WITH THE TONGUE STILL BLEEDING

In general, I personally find women who have long hair look more attractive when they put their hair up or tie knots; I found Mio multiple times more adorable because of that when she wore her hair like that on the beach in episode 4 and in her bedroom in episode 5...

...either that, or simply getting tired of her typical look...
Can't agree more there.

To me..... the girl becomes most moe is when she have long straight hair most of the time, but then occasionly doing something with it (tie her hair up for example). All other cases are not as moe

Mio's hairstyle when she is at the beach is like 893729179% cool(and cute)-er than every other characters who "mimic" her in other anime
Old 2009-05-05, 10:51   Link #183
Fran~
floating away...

KyoAni knows its job... they gather this kind of info and BAM!.... Mio borns. After all these years, characters like her are made just with the only purpose to fulfill the expectations of the audience.
Old 2009-05-05, 11:19   Link #184
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
KyoAni knows its job... they gather this kind of info and BAM!.... Mio borns. After all these years, characters like her are made just with the only purpose to fulfill the expectations of the audience.
What expectation would that be?

I'm only asking, since I measure Mio on a different set of standards from 98.9% of the rest of the Mio fans in this thread...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2009-05-05, 11:48   Link #185
Fran~
floating away...

To see a cute girl with a ponytail when she is wearing AKG's headphones and writting cute lyrics for a cute song for a cute band full of cute girls?.

To see how she stops her cute crying with and even cuter "HONTO?~"

It's the formula, the formula!!!...

Kyo Ani is probably the most experienced studio doing that... they sure know how to make an audience scream:

Old 2009-05-05, 12:34   Link #186
bugal
Cereal Killer

Brilliant Fran~!

Mio Is the Way, the Truth, and the Life!

Open yours hearts to that simple truth and you are guaranteed a place in MOE heaven!

Repent Sinners!

Kyun! <3
Old 2009-05-05, 12:46   Link #187
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Needs more Shopping. The God Empress shall deliver the moe.
Old 2009-05-05, 13:05   Link #188
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

I think its more they are the only studio to get people saying Moe Moe Kyun~

I too find women with long hair look more attractive when they put their hair up.
its the old thing, you kinda get used to their usual look but when they change it it makes them look "oohh very sexy, nice!"(b^__^)b

mind for me that kinda applies to all hair styles.

But Mio is a long dark haired beauty and I love a long dark haired beauty the most.
Altho the girls I like the most in K-On! are the long haired ones
Old 2009-05-05, 13:50   Link #189
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
To see a cute girl with a ponytail when she is wearing AKG's headphones and writting cute lyrics for a cute song for a cute band full of cute girls?.

To see how she stops her cute crying with and even cuter "HONTO?~"

It's the formula, the formula!!!...

Kyo Ani is probably the most experienced studio doing that... they sure know how to make an audience scream:

You know, I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to the majority of anime "terms", despite my lack of culturization...

Thus, I suppose now would be a better opportunity to have myself educated for my ignorance...

What the hell is "moe"?

And if you define "Moe is Mio", I'll strangle you, because that doesn't help...
Old 2009-05-05, 14:14   Link #190
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
What the hell is "moe"?

And if you define "Moe is Mio", I'll strangle you, because that doesn't help...
Fear not... our friends from tvtropes.org can explain it:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Moe

Quote:
Moe: pronounced "mo-eh")

"Moe" is an ill-defined otaku term that means, amongst others, "cute", "huggable", "endearing". While it's sometimes used to describe a series, it's more about a specific kind of character. Can also incorporate sexiness, to some. Or So I Heard.

Traditionally, these sorts of characters grew organically from 'regular' stories, especially those of young heroines. While some audiences grow irritated and dislike a male character for being conflicted, whiny, or less manly, these traits seem inherently tolerated in heroines, with the audience more likely to be sympathetic or at least dismiss them as 'girly' moments, especially if the child is a growing and awkward teenager. Moe can be thought as a step up from that: vulnerable or innocent qualities that are endearing to the viewer. Well, to some viewers.

Moe characters are cute. This is usually the specific aim, even over sexiness. Moe characters are implicitly youthful, congregating to high school age and below. Adult female characters who qualify are almost always in their low twenties. Any characters older than that have this fact unmentioned, or the character's appearance is altered as little as possible.

If this can't technically be done, the personality will reflect an 'innocent' outlook on something vital. A popular one is about romance. This is sometimes handwaved by the character being shy , but can befall even gorgeous characters. A related implication is that moe characters are implicitly virgins, even if this occasionally changes during the story. Related to this is all Moe characters have at least one overwhelming character flaw, invoking the 'love for imperfect things' philosophy, which should hopefully make them endearing.

Moe characters are quirky, and rely on Costume Inertia, odd language, strange hobbies and the like to make them unique and noticeable. Occasionally, these traits are completely unrelated and seem a bit disjointed. If a character is plain, they are 'loudly plain' in the way Hollywood Homely characters are 'ugly'; sometimes they're just more moderate than the rest of the cast, and the writers implicitly suggest the audience is kind for liking the character for being plain.

An interesting result of this is some moe characters are quasi-Animated Actors; the series they star are need not be related at all, being only devices to enable the viewer to enjoy the character. Many of them feature in Gag Series, and only the merchandise for the series shows off its intended and occasionally creepy roots.

As might be guessed, Moe characters are not liked by everyone. Ones directly created as such are often disliked for being gimmicky, childish, and appealing to all the stereotypical desires of geeky fandom, including sexist or youth-obsessive themes.

Interestingly, male characters can also be moe characters to a female audience, and figure prominently in Shoujo and Josei. Most of the time they aren't considered such simply because of the lower (or just different) implications of romance to that demographic or because desirable traits of males are slightly different. The closest equivalents tend to exist in Boys Love stories, and the Uke tends to fill most of these traits.

See also Moe Anthropomorphism, Moe Couplet, Manic Pixie Dream Girl Stare; compare The Woobie.
I strongly recommend to continue reading this page for further examples:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Moe
Old 2009-05-05, 14:20   Link #191
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
You know, I'm quite knowledgeable when it comes to the majority of anime "terms", despite my lack of culturization...

Thus, I suppose now would be a better opportunity to have myself educated for my ignorance...

What the hell is "moe"?
The best explanation I can offer is to say that "moe" is a catch-all term for quirks, qualities and aspects of a personality that certain people find irresistably attractive.

Tsumugi's "ojou-sama" demeanor is considered moe.

Yui's dojikko status is moe.

Mio's...well, everything is considered moe.

(Don't ask me to explain what about Ritsu is moe, I haven't the foggiest.)

That's about as much thought as I give the matter. Others have attempted to explain the term at greater length, but trying to think about it any more than I already have brings me actual physical pain. Anyway, I watch this show because it entertains me, not the moe factor.
Old 2009-05-05, 21:43   Link #192
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Anyway, I watch this show because it entertains me, not the moe factor.
So do I, but at the same time, I like Mio because of other reasons, not just because she's "moe", and now I can truly say that with my question answered...
Old 2009-05-05, 22:37   Link #193
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Let's just say that the K-On girls are of the type which you'll want to bring home to meet the folks. Except maybe Ritsu. Maybe.
Old 2009-05-09, 01:00   Link #194
Sollios

Most pic have MIo~~Mio is my favorite character
Old 2009-05-09, 03:59   Link #195
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Let's just say that the K-On girls are of the type which you'll want to bring home to meet the folks. Except maybe Ritsu. Maybe.
I'd take ehr home any day. With her at least you'd know life won't be boring.
Old 2009-05-09, 05:08   Link #196
Coruja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Anyway, I watch this show because it entertains me, not the moe factor.
Same here, I am a girl, and I can relate to all the four girls in a way, and that's why it entertains me, not the moe factor. *shrugs*
Old 2009-05-09, 05:35   Link #197
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I, for one, was never into the whole "Moe" bandwagon to begin with. I just find the characters interesting (specially Mio) and the songs nice.

Old 2009-05-09, 06:20   Link #198
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'd take her home any day. With her at least you'd know life won't be boring.
Well, Mugi's riches aren't exactly what I can handle, I'm probably better off being Mio's steward rather than a husband, and I don't exactly want a scatterbrain for a wife. I'll take Ui. Then again, our difference in age means that I'll become another "...also a lolicon".
Old 2009-05-09, 15:06   Link #199
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

I am a fan of moe, I won't deny it. Oddly enough, I'm not watching K-ON! for that moe, maybe because they're trying to hard to shove it down my throat with the likes of Mio. I do like Mio as a character, not just because she's so moe moe kyun. The main reason I like her, is because she's the only one who's actually passionate about the light music club, and wants the club to be more than a place to get some tea and crumpets. I know the other girls do too, but Mio was the only one to hit home for me during the beach episode.

I just think there's a lot more to her character than most people are willing to see, all because she's dressed up in a maid outfit.
Old 2009-05-09, 23:48   Link #200
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
What the hell ever happened to just being "friends"?
Closed Thread

Tags
characters