AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2012-03-07, 11:44   Link #561
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Neil deGrasse Tyson shares the most astounding fact about the universe

Amazing video.
Old 2012-03-07, 17:22   Link #562
AnimeFan188

Researchers Seek Help in Solving DuQu Mystery Language

"DuQu, the malicious code that followed in the wake of the infamous Stuxnet
code, has been analyzed nearly as much as its predecessor. But one part of the
code remains a mystery, and researchers are asking programmers for help in
solving it.

The mystery concerns an essential component of the malware that communicates
with command-and-control servers and has the ability to download additional
payload modules and execute them on infected machines."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...tery-language/
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-07, 19:37   Link #563
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"DuQu, the malicious code that followed in the wake of the infamous Stuxnet
code, has been analyzed nearly as much as its predecessor. But one part of the
code remains a mystery, and researchers are asking programmers for help in
solving it.

The mystery concerns an essential component of the malware that communicates
with command-and-control servers and has the ability to download additional
payload modules and execute them on infected machines."

See:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...tery-language/
Its completely possible that its a homebrew language with a homebrew compiler - I have several friends who have written their own compilers over the years. The scraps of DuQu I've seen look fairly generic ... something like assembly with special class and data features.
Old 2012-03-08, 06:58   Link #564
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

An Inspiring, Sad Interview With the Father of Video Games
Old 2012-03-08, 08:18   Link #565
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Well, he is one of those game developers who actually knew his guns; he smuggled a few hundred working firearms from the warzones back into US.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 08:46   Link #566
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Thanks for that. I didn't know he invented Simon. We had one of those, in fact, I think everyone I knew at the time had one.

Endless "Nostalgic" Soul
Old 2012-03-09, 03:11   Link #567
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Israeli device takes the thirst out of war zones

Quote:
upplying water in battle zones is expensive and sometimes deadly. Armies around the world spend millions of dollars transporting water to thirsty troops on the front lines, often under extremely dangerous conditions. (SOUNDBITE) (English) WATER-GEN CHAIRMAN AND CO-CEO ARYE KOHAVI SAYING: "Convoys are attacked during the water transportation and we can produce the water on spot where it's needed, we are saving all the logistic footprint of bringing the water." Arye Kohavi, the CEO of Israeli tech firm Water-Gen says instead of transporting water into conflict zones - he has developed a portable device that can simply make it out of air. Kohavi says the system, which can be tacked on to a tank, is capable of producing 20-60 litters per day (5-16 gallons/day), depending on environmental conditions. It works on the same principles of an air conditioner, drawing on the ambient humidity in the air to produce clean drinking water.

(English) WATER-GEN CHAIRMAN AND CO-CEO ARYE KOHAVI SAYING: "The air is coming into the system full of humidity, we extract the water and throw the air out. The water, we are cleaning the water, adding minerals and everything needed and then pour cold water to the soldiers."

Kobi Marom, a reservist colonel in the Israeli army, says he isn't surprised that Water-Gen's device has drawn interest from military forces around the world.

COLONEL KOBI MAROM (RES.), ISRAELI ARMY COMMANDER IN THE FORMER OCCUPIED SOUTHERN LEBANON AREA AND EXPERT IN GUERILLA WARFARE, SAYING: "I think that this technology will give the IDF and other military forces all over the world that operate against guerilla a lot of advantages, because food and water that's needs those troops over the desert all over the Middle East, is critical for them to operate for a long time." Arye Kohavi believes that portable water generation will become more prevalent in the future and not just on the battle field. Kohavi hopes his device will give organizations like the United Nations a better way to provide water to the people that need it most.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:26   Link #568
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hmmmm, Moister Vaporators.

People saw those in 1977,...

On Tatooine.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:44   Link #569
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Heresy!
Those dirty Tatooinians stole that tech from a certain desert planet:
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-09, 08:33   Link #570
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Heresy!
Those dirty Tatooinians stole that tech from a certain desert planet:
I don't think Frank Herbert wrote about those things back in 1969, and that idea came out in Dune 2 in 1992. So it is like an argument about who invented the modern OS interface between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

Old 2012-03-09, 09:15   Link #571
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I'll take the third option, and say a certain Sci-fi book about Mars in 1917 had them!
Old 2012-03-11, 06:07   Link #572
Jaden

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Pretty sick, even with buying the necessary peripherals and memory you can have a new PC for around $100. Just need someone to write a guided missile app for linux now and it'll be fun times.
Old 2012-03-11, 09:50   Link #573
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Just need someone to write a guided missile app for linux now and it'll be fun times.
Hi-tech insurgency?

For now though, while there's no app for it to propel "the barrel of a gun" yet, some smart minds are already working on it to become a subversive little piece of free speech (and terrorism!!) facilitator.

IMO, if this little gadget would produce ten more open source developers for the world, it's a success story. Someone needs to bring the notion of do-it-yourself to the masses in a computering world that is increasingly made up of walled gardens.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 08:58   Link #574
Jaden

Just made the guided missile jab because the devs reported that they were contacted by a middle east country that wanted to mass produce these for "educational purposes", to which internet cynics reacted with a "yeah, right". But now that I think about it, if you wanted to make guided missiles, it's probably not the onboard computers that are the really costly and advanced parts. Like, even if there was no raspberries available they wouldn't be a problem to make.
Old 2012-03-12, 10:48   Link #575
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Unless I am mistaken, some even said than a PS2 could be used as hardware for a cruse missile's guidage back when they launched it, so the hardware shouldn't be now much of a issue.
Old 2012-03-12, 13:20   Link #576
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Unless I am mistaken, some even said than a PS2 could be used as hardware for a cruse missile's guidage back when they launched it, so the hardware shouldn't be now much of a issue.
"Robotic control systems are going to show up everywhere with increasing
frequency. Particularly as a replacement for suicide bombers. Here's why.
Suicide bombers are functionally a poor man's weapon system. Using a cold
calculus:"

See:

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/...de-bomber.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-12, 22:27   Link #577
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"Robotic control systems are going to show up everywhere with increasing
frequency. Particularly as a replacement for suicide bombers. Here's why.
Suicide bombers are functionally a poor man's weapon system. Using a cold
calculus:"

See:

http://globalguerrillas.typepad.com/...de-bomber.html
Robotic cars have problems manuvering around concrete roadblocks. Besides, if I see a driverless car hurtling towards me, I would like it to meet Carlise : my CAR-15 /w M203.

Old 2012-03-12, 23:40   Link #578
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Robotic cars have problems manuvering around concrete roadblocks. Besides, if I see a driverless car hurtling towards me, I would like it to meet Carlise : my CAR-15 /w M203.
Why? At the minimum the sensor will detect the roadblock and the AI will stop the car. A more complex movement will be more difficult, but not impossible.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 00:49   Link #579
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Why? At the minimum the sensor will detect the roadblock and the AI will stop the car. A more complex movement will be more difficult, but not impossible.
Human reaction time is 0.03 seconds, and roadblocks are designed in such a way that there is a 100m minimum FOV, if not an overwatch with a heavy machine gun or ATGM.

In fact those nifty steel-core rounds from a GPMG is enough to render a car running into a concrete roadblock useless. When it stops, finish it off with a HEDP grenade.

If the terrorists wanted to, they should have used RC cars.

Old 2012-03-13, 01:11   Link #580
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Flight system avionics (for aircraft or missiles) go through some grueling QA/QC, V&V testing so that's why builders don't upgrade very often and try to get maximum efficiency out of every RAM bit and CPU cycle.

That's why AP-101 series are still used though the design is about 40+ years old. Most missile avionic gear is "unique" but is typically based on a MIL-STD 1553 bus architecture. Equipment details are usually classified.