Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-02-06, 03:14   Link #2021
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekitty View Post
This brings up an interesting point. If Kouichi has romantic feelings for Mao, wouldn't he be thinking a lot more about that kiss on the forehead (in epi 10) and feeling guilty about that kiss when he is on dates with and is kissing Yumi? I know Kouichi was curious about Mao and her feelings towards him back in episode 11, but times have changed- (aka Kouichi got a girlfriend)- and those thoughts are now long gone. Just a thought.

maoXkouichi fans, what do you think about this??
Dunno how often it happens in real life, but I've seen/read several romances that deal with 'sub-conscious' love.

Case in point, the script that Kouichi wrote for their filming. He had absolutely no help from Mao writing it (heck, it was Yuumi all the way helping him there), and yet the main lead couple were childhood friends... whose relationship closely resembles his and Mao's, albeit gender switched... with a certain scene from his childhood that he doesn't seem to remember(I won't let you cry)... all of which presumably ends up with the two leads hooking up with each other.

Coincidence? I think not, especially when writing stories is a major element in the plot. The script was really the main reason as to why I was still hoping for MaoXKouichi despite how things were looking very bleak for them, as it's really the only major clue as to how Kouichi really feels about Mao.

Of course, I didn't jump the gun until now because it might've been just a misdirection from the director's part. This is mainly because of one major thorn in my side, Kai. Even if Kouichi really felt that way about Mao, all of it means for naught if Kai successfully 'stole' Mao away. This was a very big possibility because of this show being about Mao as a lead as well, there's a good chance they'll pair everyone up in such a way that doesn't conflict with the other leads (namely KaiXMao, KouichiXYuumi and KazukiXEriko).

So imagine myself when I saw the end of the latest episode, where KaiXMao was riddled by bullets. I literally pumped my fist in the air in triumph, because with Mao having the most screentime of all the leads, I highly doubt she'll end up alone by the end of it all. So in my mind, MaoXKouichi isn't a matter of being an 'if' anymore, but a matter of 'when'.

Not that I'm saying there isn't a chance that Yuumi will still end up with Kouichi, or Mao with Kai. Both are highly unlikely IMO, but I certainly won't be blindsided if those 'unexpected' events were to happen (unlike say, Canvas 2 ) because there's enough background for it to be believable IMO.

If it does happen though, I just hope they won't break up Mitsuki and her fiance (whoever the heck he might be) so at least I have one couple I care about 'winning'. I've always had a soft spot for arranged marriages ever since Ranma 1/2.

And as for those citing uneven distribution, it certainly doesn't feel like that to me. It was obvious from the very start that there were three main leads here: Mao, Kouichi, and Kazuki. And with Mao and Kouichi's story being intertwined, it only makes sense that Kai/Mao/Kouichi/Yuumi love square would be given twice the amount of time that would be given to the Asuka/Kazuki/Eriko love triangle, since the former has twice the amount of leads than the latter. It obviously leans towards one side, but I must fervently disagree its at a ratio of 4:1.

With all due respect, I feel as though this is coming from people who would like to see more Futami. I really do believe Kazuki's story is getting his fair share in the screen; it's just that past the first cour, it's been Sakino ALL THE WAY, and with Futami not even saying one line in some of the episodes even (and even when she does, sometimes its just a flashback). As such, some people feels like there's an imbalance when there's not since their favourite character (Futami) is rarely ever on. But on the contrary, the Kazuki triangle is getting plenty of screentime since Sakino is on-screen so often (feels like she has more time than even Kai!) despite being one the lesser characters.

For the record, I'm neutral on Kazuki's part. Not because the characters are less interesting, but because I am torn between the 'tensai shoujo' and the 'best friend', since both are major moe elements for me. In fact, I slightly prefer Eriko because she's cuter than Asuka, but I digress...

Finally, where are the damn frogs? Unlike most people, I loved them to bits. Iwao X Juliet 4EVA!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 03:19   Link #2022
Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
So imagine myself when I saw the end of the latest episode, where KaiXMao was riddled by bullets. I literally pumped my fist in the air in triumph, because with Mao having the most screentime of all the leads, I highly doubt she'll end up alone by the end of it all. So in my mind, MaoXKouichi isn't a matter of being an 'if' anymore, but a matter of 'when'.

Not that I'm saying there isn't a chance that Yuumi will still end up with Kouichi, or Mao with Kai. Both are highly unlikely IMO, but I certainly won't be blindsided if those 'unexpected' events were to happen (unlike say, Canvas 2 ) because there's enough background for it to be believable IMO.
You really think so? I'm a fellow Kouichi x Mao fan and it's nerve wracking hoping that they're together at the end of the series
Lego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 03:52   Link #2023
golthin

ok, the sub for 17 is out! We don't get an answer about what happened in episode 16. Still, taking in considaration that a week went by from the ending of episode 16 to the ending of episode 17 and taking in considaration the events in episode 17. Did Kai kiss Mao or not?

I think he did kiss her, which make me feel a little better for the final events of episode 17.
what do you guys think he did? We might or might not get our answer in episode 18.
If we don't get an answer this will be one of the epic mysteries in anime.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 04:29   Link #2024
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
because with Mao having the most screentime of all the leads, I highly doubt she'll end up alone by the end of it all. So in my mind, MaoXKouichi isn't a matter of being an 'if' anymore, but a matter of 'when'.

Finally, where are the damn frogs? Unlike most people, I loved them to bits. Iwao X Juliet 4EVA!
Yes Mao has too much screentime and has dominated both OPS to end up alone and as for the frogs... Sir Kazuki has vanquished those fiends!

Also that subconscious love that Kouichi might feel for Mao which came out in his movie script, I never thought of that before.. probably because I was too focused on the kiss scene but I think/hope you're onto something. *mentally adds that to my MaoxKouichi hints file*

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-02-06 at 05:17.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 04:36   Link #2025
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Before anyone lynches me for bringing up the must not mention show... Do you think Yuumi would think School Days is tragic?
Old 2008-02-06, 05:35   Link #2026
Lego

It's hard to tell if Kai kissed her or not. If they wanted to they could have it as a flashback at the beginning of 18 or use it down the line as a drama educing plot point. So that means that Mao and Kai have pretty much been going out for a week straight. Kouichi mentions at the top of the episode that he really hasn't seen Mao for a week, so she at least gave it a try. But if I had to pick I think it was less of a kiss and more of a "solid moment where he held her".

I'd be very surprised if Kai didn't at least ask why Mao is dumping him at the beginning of episode 18. It would be kind of awkward for her to kind of go "I can't see you anymore" then run away especially when the next episode preview shows a lingering scene at the starting. In fact Kai take a look at the look on Kai's face in the episode preview. He looks like a train just hit him and you can see his teeth now, Mao has to at least tell him that she loves someone else or that she loves Kouichi.

If you look at the whole "movie" it's kind of a hidden jab at the series itself in disguise. Back when they're trying to find something better to do when Akira is brainstorming they mention frogs, a service episode, and he tells Kouichi to go think of something better. Not to mention that Kouichi's mom is always watching a drama on TV, especially in episode 17. I just think that there is to much coincidence between the movie script where the characters are childhood friends and how that suddenly jump started Mao in Kouichi's corner.

The main site updates tomorrow with the usual mid week sneak peek. It'll be worth noting whose on the "heart page" that is updated weekly. Before 16 it was Eriko and Kaz and before 17 it was Mao and Kai. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kouichi and Mao or Kouichi and Yuumi unless they want to go back to a Kaz x Eriko or Kaz x Asuka. The spoiler that KM provided us for 18(I'm eagerly awaiting his response to my PM since hes seen the episodes himself, 18 and 19) talks about how
Spoiler:
This leads into 19 with the title being
Spoiler:
. I'm interested in seeing what the title of episode 20 is since we have up to 19.
Old 2008-02-06, 10:28   Link #2027
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Before anyone lynches me for bringing up the must not mention show... Do you think Yuumi would think School Days is tragic?
Though i usually hurl spears in the direction of people who bring up school days I like ya Grey_Moon so I wont spear ya lol

As to your question giving Yuumi's personality i think she chalk it up to romantic tragic end for all 3. Shes just the soft hearted type she would probably cry for days on end.
Old 2008-02-06, 10:33   Link #2028
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

That ending was absolutely heart shattering, even if i knew it was going to happen thanks to the raw --- seeing it again hurt even more. In the preview it looks like she'll end up running away, though it's going to be rather interesting to see Kai's reaction to what she said.

Also to all those people that have been having a hard time getting used to the new ED, i feel that this should be the scene where that shouldn't bother you anymore. It was perfect for that scene.
Old 2008-02-06, 10:56   Link #2029
Westlo
Lets be reality

The new ED for Kimikiss while not as good a "song" as the first is really much better suited to the second half of the show. Same thing happened when Nodame made that switch, went from disappointed to accepting it in the later stages since it fit so much better.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-02-06 at 11:40.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 10:58   Link #2030
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
The new ED for Kimikiss while not as good a "song" as the first is really much better suited to the second half of the show. Same thing happened with Nodame made that switch, went from disappointed to accepting it in the later stages since it fit so much better.
Well there had to be good reason as to why they changed it. While the first half was more light hearted the second half is more dramatic, hence the type of songs there using.
Old 2008-02-06, 11:29   Link #2031
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego View Post
It's hard to tell if Kai kissed her or not. If they wanted to they could have it as a flashback at the beginning of 18 or use it down the line as a drama educing plot point. So that means that Mao and Kai have pretty much been going out for a week straight. Kouichi mentions at the top of the episode that he really hasn't seen Mao for a week, so she at least gave it a try. But if I had to pick I think it was less of a kiss and more of a "solid moment where he held her".

I'd be very surprised if Kai didn't at least ask why Mao is dumping him at the beginning of episode 18. It would be kind of awkward for her to kind of go "I can't see you anymore" then run away especially when the next episode preview shows a lingering scene at the starting. In fact Kai take a look at the look on Kai's face in the episode preview. He looks like a train just hit him and you can see his teeth now, Mao has to at least tell him that she loves someone else or that she loves Kouichi.
I believe that the kiss didn't actually happen due to the fact that kai flashedback to that scene in ep 17 where she asked him but didn't show if he actually did. From his type I would guess that he declined the offer being the gentleman that he is, and asked her what's wrong instead but recieving no answer in the end. From this point perhaps kai can already sense that something is going horribly wrong with the relationship.

As for what could have happened afterwards, I say that it is unlikely that he will pester mao for the answer why she gave up on him. He should know at the back of his mind that mao hasn't been herself for quite some time now and should have prepared for the inevitable. If he was totally clueless he would ask but I think he knows more that what we actually think hence he won't ask and just accept it as a failed relationship.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 12:04   Link #2032
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Spoiler for thoughts on epi 17:

Last edited by grey_moon; 2008-02-06 at 12:14.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 13:53   Link #2033
Lego

Thats the big thing with Mao, she caused this whole problem herself. She never told Kouichi she loved him, pushed him together with Yuumi, gave Yuumi the OK to date Kouichi, helped out Kouichi with Yuumi, latched onto Kai to replace Kouichi, and now shes torn apart emotionally with love for Kouichi.

I think that shes always loved him, I can remember mentioning on AOD that I got that vibe from the first episode that they'd try something. There have been so many Mao x Kouichi hints from the early episodes that part of me wonders if they're deliberately hinting at a Mao x Kouichi relationship or if they're just running a smoke screen. With this happening in 17,
Spoiler:
and
Spoiler:
something is going to have to happen in 20-24 between them. Part of me thinks they're building up to the big movie kiss where
Spoiler:
. Since we have the groundwork for 18 and 19 the episode title for 20 and or 21 is killing me. With 18 airing this week at least I'll get the episode preview to work off of.
Old 2008-02-06, 14:56   Link #2034
puretsundere
Tachibana Isana

Another great episode.

I'm just a little upset, though, that Futami-san is in the episode for about 6 seconds. (I'm not counting Asuka's flashback) That's it. 6 seconds. I need more Futami-san than that.
Old 2008-02-06, 15:29   Link #2035
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

i feel sorry for kai I really wonder if Kouichi will accept Mao feelings....
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 16:07   Link #2036
Lego

Thats the big question right now. After all of the Mao x Kouichi hints, the forehead kiss, Kouichi thinking about Mao almost non stop, Yuumi licking her fingers the next day at the burger place(she had sauce on them) and him instantly thinking about Mao...

All of this comes down to what Kouichi does whenever Mao finally tells him. Yuumi is leaving soon so you can expect the drama to be ratcheted up.
Old 2008-02-06, 17:33   Link #2037
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
Spoiler for thoughts on epi 17:
I think that's where the Director/writers messed up on big time not showing us any hints that Mao may have had a thing for Kouichi early on. Didn't make sense to me either that she would only act as a friend/older sister to Kouichi and push him towards Yuumi only for her to suddenly afterwards have a "longing look" towards him when he finally got toward with Yuumi seem to come out of nowhere to me. They really should have shown us they she may have liked Kouichi early on.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 17:37   Link #2038
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Mao-neechan FAILS.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 17:47   Link #2039
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
I think that's where the Director/writers messed up on big time not showing us any hints that Mao may have had a thing for Kouichi early on. Didn't make sense to me either that she would only act as a friend/older sister to Kouichi and push him towards Yuumi only for her to suddenly afterwards have a "longing look" towards him when he finally got toward with Yuumi seem to come out of nowhere to me. They really should have shown us they she may have liked Kouichi early on.
I agree. And I happen to notice how her flashbacks to when she was a child now hints of romantic developments already where there wasn't any before. Like with the book thing, mao is making it look like she was so touched by kouichi's words that she somehow already had an interest in him back then (which is rather strange). Mao's feelings for kouichi is rather forced when it comes to being expressed - she somehow doesn't have any lead up to why she is thinking about him so much especially when kai has been doing well up til now. Those feelings of her may already have been set into stone though and she has been lying to herself all along for yumi's sake.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 17:57   Link #2040
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I agree. And I happen to notice how her flashbacks to when she was a child now hints of romantic developments already where there wasn't any before. Like with the book thing, mao is making it look like she was so touched by kouichi's words that she somehow already had an interest in him back then (which is rather strange). Mao's feelings for kouichi is rather forced when it comes to being expressed - she somehow doesn't have any lead up to why she is thinking about him so much especially when kai has been doing well up til now. Those feelings of her may already have been set into stone though and she has been lying to herself all along for yumi's sake.
If thats true it would make sense why it seems like Mao feeling dulled then all of sudden come alive again. She had been gone for a long time and out of sight. Its kind of the of the same thing that people have predicted with Yuumi leaving. I had always pinned Mao for actually denying herself these feelings for the sake of Yuumi. Her interest in Kouichi most likely started when she saw him again. As i remember several statements from her like "how tall he was now ect" Back then i passed it off but now some of her past statements make sense, true that Mao's feelings seem a little forced sometimes but i dont think she knows how to express them and i think we have all had that experience once or twice in our lives. Let assume that Mao never went to France and they continued to see each other everyday. If that was the case i dont believe that Yuumi would have ever even come into the picture. Iv also noticed now that i have stopped over thinking certain things about all the relationships I have been able to pick up a lot hints that i had previously missed.

Seeing is believing, Perception is reality.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, enterbrain, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, shounen