AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-04, 14:13   Link #721
Miraluka
Banned

The rank of the lower class of level 5s is based in how can their powers can be measured and explained in a scientific way. Thats why Gunha is on the seventh place altought he is more powerful in battle than the third and the fourth.
Old 2010-02-04, 15:54   Link #722
BlueDo

We never really got to see how powerful Gunha really is...

You ask, how do they determine ranking?
I would say that it's the same way they determine levels.
How do they do that? I don't know.
But your level depends on how well you use your specific ESP, so likewise I insert that the Level 5's rankings are the same and don't focus on the battlefield.
Old 2010-02-04, 17:09   Link #723
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDo View Post
We never really got to see how powerful Gunha really is...

You ask, how do they determine ranking?
I would say that it's the same way they determine levels.
How do they do that? I don't know.
But your level depends on how well you use your specific ESP, so likewise I insert that the Level 5's rankings are the same and don't focus on the battlefield.
I haven't read the novels, this is speculative, etc.

I don't think it's an official ranking. It's more likely that some Academy City gossip publication branded them as such out of rumors based on the amount of power they've shown to the general public, and everyone went with it.
Old 2010-02-04, 17:45   Link #724
B2-Lancer

My Own Nitty-Picky-Science Moment...

I'm no big brain, just bouncing my Swiss cheese ideas about Railgun because this forum's given me great entertainment and food for thought, and I offer mine not to one-up or diss anything or anyone in the anime/manga.

I really hope they don't make Mikoto as combat-wise as James Bond or Teen Titans, despite her formidable powers (unless the academy's giving them commando classes too!). Let her be as clueless and gawky under battle conditions as other kids her age (14? 15?). Apart that though, her Charlies Angels adversaries here seem from amateur night and should take lethal trick lessons from The Joker. (A good SEAL sniper would've had ample opportunities to've taken her down if her adversaries were serious instead of playing around.). Another thing I wonder is, all that racket that battle made! Why don't the neighbors call the police?? Er, where are the police??

Well, for me, so far Accelerator's enemies haven't used their heads to defeat him. You do it indirectly because his powers are zit without kinetic/electromag forces to oppose. I assume the trainyard plasma trick worked because there was wind rubbing against him like a Van de Graaff generator to create such, so it would've been interesting what he would've done in dead calm.

Again, I'm assuming he doesn't actually generate any energy by himself to propagate an affect, but simply repulses/deflects it, but he's not quite invulnerable. If you've psychokinetic powers you can literally scoop up the earth he's standing on and dump him in a big pool or lake and or giant concrete mix tub and splash him back to keep him at bay till he stops threading. If you can psychokinetically hurtle/drop/fling him (the thing he's standing on or inside) out a desert or in a blast furnace or the middle of the ocean he's done. I'd lob and drop him at 20,000 feet and watch him make a splash on the ground myself, but I'm guessing he has some anti-grav or kinetic energy dampening thingie up his sleeve to "absorb" an impact from high too (though would it kill his killing inertia too?).

A big CO2 cloud from a chemical truck should snuff him out pretty well, and if one has "hyper-whirlwind" powers, keeping him center a "traveling" vortex's vacuum should do the job as well. Levitating a big dump truck of earth or concrete and dumping it on him should work once the initial pile starts mounting around him. Creating a constant poisonous environment around him will cook his goose easy because he'll suffocate/starve within his own sealed-up shield. So it's nice to see the guy has unsung vulnerabilities.

I think they're stretching the envelope regarding Mikoto's powers. Just because you can turn yourself into an massive electron gun doesn't mean you can zap falling I-beams into big magnets much less a rigid ladder on the fly. Creating and wielding magnetic forces is a method apart from "simply" generating electrical potential like an electric eel. Relatedly, I think even the X-Men folks recognized this by denying Magneto the ability to generate/throw electric bolts. Also, I think manga-wise, it would've been more fun to "split" Mikoto's powers between two level fives -- one electric and one magnetic, instead of wrapping both up in one banana bunch.

Kuroko-- my fave next Last Order (who is chockful of potentials I suspect), can create a lethal by-product of her powers too which I'm surprised the manga author isn't aware of. Anyway, that's my take of the series so far and please punch your holes to my Swiss cheese ideas as I eagerly await #29.
Old 2010-02-04, 18:24   Link #725
BlueDo

^
So... what are you trying to say?
Old 2010-02-04, 19:45   Link #726
Dee Eon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2-Lancer View Post
My Own Nitty-Picky-Science Moment...
They've deep techie discussions like yours at the Tomas/Railgun forum at AnimeUser net. Just sign in and joy!

Dee
Old 2010-02-04, 20:09   Link #727
stillmissing

I see there is some confusion about this. If my earlier comment about Gunha and his ranking caused any of this, I apologize. Gunha is an exception. The scientists at academy city do not understand his abilities, and they ranked him among the seven level 5's purely on the basis of not knowing how else to categorize him.

For the rest of the level 5 espers who are actually the result of the city's research, the ranking is determined by the scientists who measure their abilities, and the ranking is determined by strength.

Accelerator is considered the strongest, Kakine, the second strongest, Mikoto the third, Mugino the fourth and so on.

However, those who say that doesn't translate to who would win in a fight are correct. There's far more to a battle than strength, unless the gap in ability is impossibly vast. Even though he has a useful tool for closing that gap in the form of imagine breaker, Touma still serves as a good example of one who overcomes those with greater strength in battle.

Furthermore, it's never really been clarified how the scientists quantify strength, and I imagine Kamachi won't ever do it either. Suffice it to say, Mental Out's presence as the fifth would strongly suggest it's not simply a matter of pure destructive capability.

Quote:
I assume the trainyard plasma trick worked because there was wind rubbing against him like a Van de Graaff generator to create such, so it would've been interesting what he would've done in dead calm.
I'm not sure why there is so much confusion on this point, but I've seen this type of comment before. To clarify - there was no wind that night. That's why Touma was able to find Mikoto by spotting the windmill near her that was active only due to her AIM. It's why 10032 was able to try to asphyxiate Accelerator by converting the air to ozone. (In fact that night was specifically selected to test that tactic due to the lack of wind.) It's why Accelerator was able to create the plasma attack. Wind currents would have made the calculations too difficult. And indeed, when the Sisters produced a wind through the windmills, they disrupted his attack, and he was unable to complete it.

Quote:
I think they're stretching the envelope regarding Mikoto's powers.
Not really. Well, not with regards to her basic magnetism at any rate. From the beginning it was made clear that she manipulated electromagnetism. According to Kamachi, her signature move is the result of generating electromagnetic fields to utilize the Lorentz force. Both her basic electrical and magnetic abilities are supposed to be subsets of her manipulation and generation of electromagnetic fields. The science is the series is a little funny of course; you aren't supposed to take it too seriously. And you certainly shouldn't think about thermodynamics.

No the real stretch with her powers comes in the form of her ability to directly hack and interface with computers, to read data stored in magnetic media directly, to reprogram robots in close range on the fly, and of course, the ability to interpret and transmit human thought as bio-electric impulses that is the basis for the entire Misaka Network.

Last edited by stillmissing; 2010-02-04 at 20:26.
Old 2010-02-11, 11:20   Link #728
index87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
No joke. I refuse to doubt the abilities of anyone who can pull off the routine Touma did after having his arm sliced off.

No question, that ability has been his trump card and his savior more times than anything.

I wouldn't say its unfair in a game breaker sense. If Mikoto's power is like a Swiss army knife in that it can do just about anything she needs it to, Touma's is like a hammer. A really, really big hammer. But still, all its good for is driving nails.
You could also pound beef paties with it and smash somebody's face in
Old 2010-02-12, 11:12   Link #729
tsunade666

Quote:

Well, for me, so far Accelerator's enemies haven't used their heads to defeat him. You do it indirectly because his powers are zit without kinetic/electromag forces to oppose. I assume the trainyard plasma trick worked because there was wind rubbing against him like a Van de Graaff generator to create such, so it would've been interesting what he would've done in dead calm.

Again, I'm assuming he doesn't actually generate any energy by himself to propagate an affect, but simply repulses/deflects it, but he's not quite invulnerable. If you've psychokinetic powers you can literally scoop up the earth he's standing on and dump him in a big pool or lake and or giant concrete mix tub and splash him back to keep him at bay till he stops threading. If you can psychokinetically hurtle/drop/fling him (the thing he's standing on or inside) out a desert or in a blast furnace or the middle of the ocean he's done. I'd lob and drop him at 20,000 feet and watch him make a splash on the ground myself, but I'm guessing he has some anti-grav or kinetic energy dampening thingie up his sleeve to "absorb" an impact from high too (though would it kill his killing inertia too?).

A big CO2 cloud from a chemical truck should snuff him out pretty well, and if one has "hyper-whirlwind" powers, keeping him center a "traveling" vortex's vacuum should do the job as well. Levitating a big dump truck of earth or concrete and dumping it on him should work once the initial pile starts mounting around him. Creating a constant poisonous environment around him will cook his goose easy because he'll suffocate/starve within his own sealed-up shield. So it's nice to see the guy has unsung vulnerabilities.
If your scooping the earth he could just stand or stick on it and even if you throw him in the water he would just walk on it. And if you dump cement on him. He is not dumb enough to let it touch him. And even if his just standing their he could direct it side ways.

The thing that are to far fetch on Mikoto's ability is to destroy those computer from afar by just using her ......... cellphone? or is it a mini lap top? In a telephone boot.
Old 2010-02-12, 13:14   Link #730
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
If your scooping the earth he could just stand or stick on it and even if you throw him in the water he would just walk on it. And if you dump cement on him. He is not dumb enough to let it touch him. And even if his just standing their he could direct it side ways.

The thing that are to far fetch on Mikoto's ability is to destroy those computer from afar by just using her ......... cellphone? or is it a mini lap top? In a telephone boot.
That's just a phone. Something like this.

I think the analysis is: "she's just pro like that", instead of the walls of text I'm seeing.
Old 2010-02-25, 23:09   Link #731
Marina2

Now, I will sit and wait until someone post a spoiler from ch29

By the way....why sometime a spolier came out on 25th? Isn't new chapter out on 27th?

Last edited by Marina2; 2010-02-25 at 23:22.
Old 2010-02-26, 00:16   Link #732
stillmissing

I've only seen a few very low quality pictures and very small discussion about the new chapter on 2ch so far.

The only major points I saw them mention so far were
Spoiler for ch 29:
Old 2010-02-26, 01:03   Link #733
B2-Lancer

I too await chapter 29 spoilers, but is the chapter itself even published yet?

----

Nothing wrong with lots o' good text; It's what your mind plugged into before there was YouTube!
Old 2010-02-26, 02:07   Link #734
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillmissing View Post
I've only seen a few very low quality pictures and very small discussion about the new chapter on 2ch so far.

Spoiler for ch 29:
WoooW really!! that spoiler is interesting still. Thanks a lot.
Old 2010-02-26, 04:12   Link #735
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillmissing View Post

Spoiler for ch 29:
Hmm.....this time Saiai is on the cover
http://upic.me/i/eq/1267165877153tile.jpg (many small pics), (not mine)

Spoiler for ch29:

Let's hope the translation or RAW will come out as fast as ch28.
Old 2010-03-03, 18:40   Link #736
stillmissing

I haven't had a chance to look at the chapter myself yet, but some people finally posted some reviews of it, though 2ch was down for a while thanks to a denial of service attack.

Key points in the chapter are apparently -
Spoiler for ch 29:
Old 2010-03-04, 00:44   Link #737
tsunade666

thanks for the spoiler of the summary stillm.
Old 2010-03-04, 01:56   Link #738
Marina2

Thank you for more spoiler ^^

Waiting for a new chapter each month is really painful....

This is 4koma that comes with ch29 (I don't have the chapter)

Request for translation....
Old 2010-03-04, 02:16   Link #739
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
This is 4koma that comes with ch29 (I don't have the chapter)

Spoiler for pic:

Request for translation....
I might be wrong but i think Mugino just told Rikou to sniff Wasabi.
Old 2010-03-04, 05:31   Link #740
tsunade666

is it just me or they did just use mugino in some okame............. muginoooooooooooo!
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, shounen