AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-27, 20:01   Link #481
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Now, THAT was a good episode. We finally get some backstory on Huey, and all of it to be right before the first ep.

Who knew Huey was a fuckin baller?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 22:36   Link #482
Midonin
Last Engage

A little delayed, but that was a pretty good episode. We haven't seen much of Raziel, but she's pretty creepy for what little screentime she has. Dalian's keyhole is messy but elegant. Flam's is just messy. And Raziel's in her eye. I don't want to know what grabbing a book out of her looks like. Huey's backstory was pretty nicely done too, and I liked how it ended at the beginning (of the first episode).

Wonder what the finale has in store.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 12:39   Link #483
Midonin
Last Engage

The simulcast of the final episode has been delayed too. This upcoming Tuesday will be a little busier, but the stream goes live later at night. And perhaps night viewing works better for this series. Fits better with the atmosphere.

I shall return!
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 01:54   Link #484
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 03:00   Link #485
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

The development of Huey was a bit delayed.. But I must say, that was a nice episode where it brings you right to square one. That explains why Huey was awesome in the previous episodes
Old 2011-10-01, 20:00   Link #486
Dralha

Spoiler for Final thoughts:
Old 2011-10-01, 20:25   Link #487
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Spoiler for Last Episode Thoughts:
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 20:38   Link #488
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep12:
Old 2011-10-01, 20:56   Link #489
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Nice ending. Really liked how Raziel and Dalian were arguing back and forth. The Professor is quite cradty. Glad Huey was able to fire back and save Dalian. Too bad he wasn't able to save that girl yet, but at least he was able to meet her again.
Old 2011-10-01, 23:55   Link #490
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I loved the last episode - but I feel like if it had been episode 6, we might have ended up with a great series instead of a pretty good one.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 04:08   Link #491
Jarmel

Really good final episode but it seems to imply that Huey will fail to free the biblioprincess since we see her in a far off future.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 07:29   Link #492
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

lol, I don't even know what happened. But Dalian and Raziel going on like that was adorable as hell. So was Camilla in her Japanese swag. x3

also, Huey was reciting stuff from the OP in that ep if no one noticed. :0
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 10:14   Link #493
scr
my sides are in orbit

The final episode is nice. Been in the similar situation to Huey and the purple princess at different points in my life

Spoiler for eps12:

Verdict: 8/10.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 13:35   Link #494
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Really good final episode but it seems to imply that Huey will fail to free the biblioprincess since we see her in a far off future.
Wouldn't her being outside in the real world (surrounded by a futuristic megacity) imply she WAS freed at some point? Of course, that doesn't neccessarily mean Huey winds up being her savior, but taking the laws of protagonists and storytelling into mind , it isn't a stretch of the imagination to assume he does eventually fill his shining white knight role.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-02, 13:49   Link #495
ookamigirl

Book of Atonement... making zombies this time ^^"
So this time the 2 pairs face each other & their different intentions.
Huey & Dalian managed to save the day once again..
Nice final episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:01   Link #496
Tatsumi Saiga

I thought the last episode fit the series quite well. I loved the episodic nature of it, and the relationships had great chemistry.

However...

Spoiler for Finale:
Tatsumi Saiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 15:55   Link #497
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Song of Unknown Tomorrows

It was a pleasure for me to watch this series from beginning to end now that it has become the last show for the recently concluded anime sumer 2011 season that I finished.

There were several important details, and not only those at superficial value, where I drew comparisons between Dantalian no Shoka and GOSICK, though the two of them took quite different stances on how the cases were handled with the former taking perspective from anti-mystery themes while the latter dealt with the crimes using anti-fantasy.

I'm going to miss Dalian because her tantrums were managed with such a cute execution, but her spirit was what truly captivated me about her persona, taking such simple pleasures as reading and eating bums with such a naive and child-like curiosity.

I also learned that the original author of the light novels refused to go through the publication of a ninth novel, which spurred that the upcoming OVA got cancelled, because the author wanted to end the story the way the author wanted to, and this story was supposed to end with the seventh novel. However, the author's editor either pressured or convinced the author to publish an eighth novel to keep fulfilling the readers' demands.

To change the topic, you know that I'm fascinated with the Gothic style ranging from the architecture to the fashion ever since I watched on film my first Tim Burton's picture, Edward Scissorhands on screen back when I was a kid; those years.

Ok. Enough of rambling about the past.

My only complain about this final episode was that introducing both the Professor and Raziel into Huey and Dalian's path just to stage a fated meeting amongst the two parties felt forced to me. I dislike that when the story reaches the climax in the last act the writers feel a need to have all introduced parties gather at the same setting.
There was a valid reason as to why both Hal and Flamberg entered the same stage so as to ruin the Professor and Raziels' plan, because episode sixth clearly hinted the Libricide Officer going after trial of those two.

However, I do not see any reason for Hal and Flamberg crossing paths with Huey and Dalian, even though we the audience never saw that meeting on screen. Hal makes it clear to Flamberg that he's after burning every Phantom Book and takes no friends or allies from amongst anyone. Hence, Hal had no obligation to answer to Dalians' pleas for help, because 1) he's after the burning of every Phantom Book and 2) there's no reason to help strangers he has crossed paths before or doesn't know about them.

Now, as to the mystery concerning Huey's mystical librarian and her connection to Dalian.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 17:07   Link #498
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Not having read all the light novels, as I don't read Japanese, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt Guido, but I was under the impression we only got about 1/4 of the story depicted in the light novels, so this isn't really a case of Gainex ending it where they did because that's where the story ends, but more a case of Ganex ending it where they did because they only decided to animate 1/4th of the story. Of course, I could be wrong, and when they only animated 1/4th of the story, they simply cut out 3/4th of the filler and the light novels really did also end this way. But, I doubt it.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-02, 17:14   Link #499
justsomeguy

All right, let's see here...

Good:
* The first episode was IMO the best, since that convinced me to watch the show.
* Other people might find her and other tsunderes annoying, but I found Dalian to be very cute; her voice and accent in particular.
* The ED was unique. (Too bad I didn't like the full song that much. Near the end, there is a pause that is overly long and blows my eardrums when it ends.)
* That Dalian v Raizel catfight in the last episode was fun to watch. Unfortunately, it's the only such incident.

Good:
* Huey's ability to remain unperturbed and willingness to act in the worst of situations makes him quite refreshing than the typical useless male!
Bad:
* Too bad we don't get to see him do stuff often because the protagonists are all too often passive observers due to being tied/locked up, rather than taking action.

Good:
* All of the episodes are good on an individual basis, but...
Bad:
* There is basically no overarching plotline. Interesting characters in individual episodes mostly die. The cast only comes together in the last episode. This should be the beginning of the overall story, not the end of a series!

Final Score: Either 7/10 or N/A. There is no way that this series can be regarded as complete, and I dislike how Gainax just slapped "Final Episode" on at the end. Light novel readers can probably clarify, but I think it's far too early for this series to have received an adaptation.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 21:32   Link #500
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sigh this seemed it would be longer but it is a good ending and Dalian was just so cute in all of it

7/10

Tags
fantasy, shounen