AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is the best girl?
Ichika 14 7.69%
Nino 30 16.48%
Miku 95 52.20%
Yotsuba 23 12.64%
Itsuki 18 9.89%
Other 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2020-02-18, 18:33   Link #5421
amasposu

Last Chapter:

Spoiler for Last Chapter::
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-18, 20:42   Link #5422
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

For the ending

Basically to reveal the above picture.
Spoiler for For the last page:

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-18, 23:54   Link #5423
Shadow5YA

That was misleading.

Yes, it was a dream, but only the marriage/timeskip adult portion was. Everything that happened up until the two became a couple still happened.

This is what happens when you believe speedscans.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 00:08   Link #5424
devil_slayer

Did Negi really have to throw this shit to confuse his fans? And then you have the translator note which made things much worse.

We see the timeline switching back to adult Fuutarou at the very last page.
devil_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 02:16   Link #5425
wuhugm
Confused Shark

I'll forget about this in a few weeks
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 02:41   Link #5426
Snowbold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
I'll forget about this in a few weeks
Likewise, I will just remember the early chapters and Miku's reign as best girl.
Snowbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 02:44   Link #5427
Ulin

Siriusly guys? It is just another flashback... sometimes I think everything can be used to complain when you don't like the chosen one... Could everything have been handled better? Of course, but I can't see why are you convinced that it was a dream...
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 03:06   Link #5428
Hakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_slayer View Post
Did Negi really have to throw this shit to confuse his fans? And then you have the translator note which made things much worse.

We see the timeline switching back to adult Fuutarou at the very last page.
Nothing confusing about that for most people
Only a few unable to cope with the ending are being delusional about it
Old 2020-02-19, 04:28   Link #5429
WingedAccelerator

You don't have to convince yourself or change anything, when Negi made it this way.

1. Everything happened, it's just a flashback.
The most valid reason is the Past-Future paneling and the callback to Chapter 1, the sleeping gimmick. Everything else don't work. Stuff like Fuutarou can't dream about other people's thoughts and conversations are irrelevant and wishful thinking, when other works and authors that pulled the dream card also ignored everything. This is not a golden rule.

2. Fuutarou never married anyone, it's just a dream.
The translation made it more ambigious with the wording. "At that time too" = His dream. The future quints in his dream starts talking about high school, which is the wake-up call. Someone saying he is getting ahead of himself with wedding-like thoughts doesn't prove anything, it's the opposite actually. His proposal is known among the quints. So why would they find it strange if he dreamed about his wedding? Because he never proposed and doesn't date any of them. Just like he never went back to their apartment to spend time with them, not even to celebrate Itsuki getting successfully in for her university. Ichika is also there, when she was filming for that TV drama. It's just holes after holes. Planning a graduation trip also can easily happen even in their early 3rd year, not necessarily after graduation.

The fact is, even if you think people are coping, there won't be absolute consensus about the ending, and Negi is 100% at fault. The same way he neglected developing Fuutarou-Yotsuba, the same way the high school proposal was serious, the same way they are so not a functional couple by nowadays standards, the same way Fuutarou thought the bridal kiss will be their first, the same way Fuutarou refuses to exchange rings, the same way Yotsuba is still kept all of her secrets from him, the same way the others couldn't get over him in 5 years, and the same way the sisters tagged along for their honeymoon.

No one can be truly happy, but debates will still hapen. The ending.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 06:56   Link #5430
Chosen_Hero

Like I said, from the Festival up to this point it was just Negi insulting the fans intelligence, he didn't have a proper ending planned, he just took the cowards way out and chose to have Yotauba win for "muh subversion".

Also, having the series end with a dream means that there was negative development for Yotsuba and Fuutarou making the choice even more baffling than it is. It also shows that he just threw away everything about the bride because he knew that at this point none of the clues fit the Yotsuba choice unless you bullshit it out even more (as seen in the previous chapter). So all the complaints made since "the choice", completely valid since nothing Negi wrote properly supports the Yotsuba choice because the entire premise of the story needed to be dropped.

The best part about this whole thing is that if you erase everything from the choice onwards and gave this to a competent writer that actually cared about the story you could salvage this garbage pretty easily, for example:

Spoiler for Example of a re-write:

I literally just came up with this example on the spot, now imagine what an actual writer could do with it if they got their hands on it.

Negi screwed up real bad and those interviews clearly confirm that he either never gave a crap or was just that stupid at executing what he wanted. What a waste of potential, it ran the marathon just fine until at the last second Negi put a tripwire with razors and poison in from of it and the story fell at the last second, broke and mangled both of its legs and just crawled all the way to the finish line while painfully suffering only to die knowing the finish line never existed.

I will never read anything from this mangaka ever again.
Old 2020-02-19, 08:41   Link #5431
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

oh lord.. even in the last chapter, Miku still proved to be the best? and Nino still... oh no

anyway, cheer for the author for his consistency in building the story from start to end
Yotsuba's victory is not as controversial as we thought but I prefer if they actually expand the story a little bit especially for that bell in the mountain part
There are several components that could be used to deliver this ending but.. oh well.. people don't care that much since the top 3 popular girls lost

In my heart, I still prefer Miku or Nino... but Yotsuba is never a bad choice. Her character development is much weaker than Miku, Nino, or even Itsuki though, which potentially could become spinoffs

I might remember this manga for quite a while especially because it started and ended almost at the same time with Bokuben... not the best ending but still a fun ride
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-19, 12:19   Link #5432
Lex79

I have mixed feelings for this last chapter. The part when we got a parallel between Fuutarou and Yotsuba talking about the quintuplets was nice, but I would have liked more if he showed all the wedding giving context to all the bits we saw during the series. The ring part, for example, is still unexplained.
The multiple honeymoon...ok,they are a really close family, but it's a bit excessive. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if an extra chapter reveals that they actually live all together as Fuutarou's concubines.
The chapter seems to imply that Fuutarou at some point learned that the bell kisser was Yotsuba. Thanks Negi, but I would have preferred this to be explicitly shown in the story, and to get an explanation for why Yotsuba kissed him.
The chapter also has Yotsuba say she still has something to tell him, this seems to imply that he doesn't know yet she is the Kyoto girl. Meh.
Now, the elephant in the room. The dream. No matter how you interpret it, adding more ambiguity when you failed to properly address all the mysteries of the story is pure idiocy.
Old 2020-02-19, 12:29   Link #5433
WingedAccelerator

He learned about the BK via the kiss. Shocking, disappointing, unbelievable, I know.
They tease each other of being nervous, there Fuutarou says it's because Yotsuba brought up that 5 years ago thingy, he even touches his mouth and connects the dots that she must have talked about the kiss under the bell. He even goes to say something (probably that she was disguised as Itsuki back then), then comes the woman with the ribbon. Some people say that Fuutarou recognized Yotsuba as KG there, hence the "Why didn't you say anything to me sooner?" line, but I doubt it. I think Fuutarou simply continues the BK discussion, otherwise Yotsuba wanting to tell him many more things hardly makes sense. So another disappointing implication is that the bridal kiss was going to be their first kiss in Fuutarou mind.
Old 2020-02-20, 08:30   Link #5434

Man, instead getting pissed off at Negi for further muddying the waters, some people rather blindly defend his hackery and start shitting on others.
Btw, I've seen multiple japanese readers on twitter wonder if it was a dream or not. Seems it is confusing even for the native readers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
But have fun with these priceless ones.
Wew. Almost makes me want to laugh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Because he never proposed and doesn't date any of them. Just like he never went back to their apartment to spend time with them, not even to celebrate Itsuki getting successfully in for her university. Ichika is also there, when she was filming for that TV drama. It's just holes after holes. Planning a graduation trip also can easily happen even in their early 3rd year, not necessarily after graduation
It's actually super easy to prove:
They are wearing their summer uniforms, so that scene happens at the very least before chapter 117. And I don't think there was any tutoring between chapters 114-117.

Last edited by 256; 2020-02-20 at 11:35.
256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 10:57   Link #5435
WingedAccelerator

Nice detail with the summer uniforms.
The last time the issue of graduation came up was in Branching Moment. There, Fuutarou went to their apartment looking for Ichika. He also said his recurring piece about graduation with smiles on their faces to Ichika, when he was together with Miku at her agency. The calendar only turns to September when she leaves. Her wanting to leave got revealed on August 14th, on Rena's death anniversary. So she had 2 weeks to quit and do the necessary administration, while Fuutarou also had time to handle her case. We don't know when did he manage to convince her to graduate with them, but taking summer uniforms into account and that Ichika didn't wear her uniform, the graduation trip planning was after she quit school. But to connect graduation and the graduation trip planning, it would fit that it happened before Ichika has left officially at the station. She will graduate with them, they planned their trip already, but soon she will leave them to live for her dream. The last official appearance of the summer uniforms are in Chapter 97.
Old 2020-02-20, 11:41   Link #5436

Planninng the graduation trip might have happened before the festival, but after reading the translation it does look like a flashback.
If not for Fuutarou waking up and asking about the wedding. What's the point of that?
This is so stupid.
256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 11:54   Link #5437
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Argh, Runeterra now occupies my freetime mid-week, so couldn't post since it's release almost a month ago. Sad, since now we're at the final chapter, but alas, Runeterra expeditions were so much fun. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Man, instead getting pissed off at Negi for further muddying the waters, some people rather blindly defend his hackery and start shitting on others.
It's actually super easy to prove:
They are wearing their summer uniforms, so that scene happens at the very least before chapter 118. And I don't think there was any tutoring between chapters 114-118.
Actually, if anything, they are still on winter uniform during the time they are deciding on the graduation trip (aka 'final scene').

First off, Ichika is not wearing a uniform unlike the rest of the quints, which means she's not going to school as often anymore. This means that the final scene MUST be post c94, as that was when she 'quit' school.

What else can we notice? We see that Itsuki is wearing long sleeves in the last scene. In contrast, in c96-97, Itsuki is explicitly shown wearing short sleeves. And since Itsuki isn't shown to wear uniform in the evening of c98 (plus Fuutarou was on a date with Miku in the morning), we must conclude that the final scene must happen c99 or after, where we are shown Itsuki wearing long sleeves underneath her blazer.

Now that we established it must be c99 or later, then let's look at Sunrise Festival. During the first day, Ichika has a shoot in the evening, so the dream couldn't happen then. Day 2 is also impossible as Yotsuba is in the hospital. Day 3 is of course not gonna happen since that was the confession day.

Ergo, while we don't know exactly when the final scene occurred, it MUST be post confession.

So yeah, not gonna lie, I'm pretty miffed at Negi because KG/Rena reveal didn't happen. I wasn't expecting a grand moment of tear-jerking realization like say, last year's K-drama Chocolate, but I was expecting at least SOMETHING. But NOPE! No KG realization, no talk about why Rena even existed, NOTHING! Was really angry at how he could leave such a big loose end untied in the end.

But upon closer inspection of the ending, I saw that Negi is still putting in the little details so we can piece it together in order to get the whole picture, just like the above "dream or not a dream" sequence. Made me think that maybe I too, was under the wrong assumptions, and my anger was built on unfounded ideas.

So that made me think of one of my other theory... that possibly Fuutarou had always known "Yotsuba" was the one he went to Kyoto with (as Maruo obviously said it when he found them). His initial confusion with asking "Rena" her name is that he was specifically asking for her FAMILY name, as all he knew KG was "Yotsuba", and "Nakano Yotsuba" didn't speak up when he asked if they met before. That's why he gives off a weird face when she gives the name Rena, and why later on in Sister's War he asks "Rena" why she named herself after her mother.

Probably the one thing that gets me still is that Fuutarou doesn't know the true significance of why Yotsuba wore the ribbon in the first place. This is IMO Negi's biggest "could have been" moment, as all he had to do in the final chapter is to have Yotsuba say to Fuutarou "I started wearing this ribbon because a certain boy didn't recognize it wasn't me during my elementary Kyoto trip. But now it's fine, because no matter how similar my sisters and I, I now have someone who will recognize me always." Doesn't even need to change any panels, but alas, what can I do?

Still over all, 5toubun no Hanayome was a pretty wild ride. Was really this close to put it as 4.28/10 because of the KG loose ends fueling my rage, but upon closer inspection maybe my rage was just me being a speedreader. But considering how much discussion I had here, plus how entertaining /a/ threads were (latest LOL moment was when Yotsumight was outed to be the same as Hunterchad - respectively the biggest proponent of a Yotsuba end and a bait-and-switch end), I must say 5Toubun was a very good manga. It won't top Your Lie in April as my favourite manga of the decade, but it comes close.

Final Score - 4.28/5

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 16:00   Link #5438
WingedAccelerator

Long-sleeved Itsuki doesn't trump over Nino, Miku and Yotsuba having Chapter 96-97 outfits. In fact, Negi, the guy, who once was overly meticulous about details, drew Itsuki with his Winter uniform during the whole Festival. Then, when Fuutarou had to get her out of their apartment during the Mudou drama, she is back to her short-sleeved attire again with the red vest, without the coat. And of course, there is Fuutarou with his 3 different outfits from the festival, changing in few pages if Negi is not in the mood to care. Canonically, they changed to their Winter uniform once in Chapter 13, starting with October 1. But that also makes them wearing their coats, no one is an exception. So a mixture of their attires would be like pre-festival, pre-confession September. It gets a bit colder, cold enough to wear long-sleeved outfits, coats if you want, but they noticably didn't switch to their Winter uniforms. Post-confession (1.5-2 days), it's already cold enough that they started wearing their Winter uniforms with their coats, all of them.

While I'm at it, I would like to say that despite my disappointment, gripes with the manga, I enjoyed discussing it with everyone here weekly. I had a lot of fun. Thank you!
Old 2020-02-20, 17:15   Link #5439
Lex79

Could there be an epilogue when the last volume comes out? The times of hopes, speculations and disappointments might not be over yet.
Old 2020-02-20, 17:49   Link #5440
amasposu

Everything is so true, except the last one.

Nino

Spoiler for Nino:

OR

Itsuki

Spoiler for Itsuki:

OR

Yotsuba

Spoiler for Yotsuba:

OR

Ichika

Spoiler for Ichika:

OR

The BEST Nakano of Them All

Spoiler for BEST Nakano:

But...

Spoiler for :
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumpster fire, first girl after all, harem, privileged main heroine, quintuplets, retcon, student-tutor, train wreck