AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-28, 09:10   Link #141
LG-MAX 2.o

Jack Sparrow + Batman + chunibyo sindrome + Hikiygaya = Cid.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 09:50   Link #142
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't see any Hikigaya to him, but there's a lot of Haruhi.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 10:02   Link #143
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
I don't know if you have realized it by now but Cid is mentally ill...not unirocally, as an insult or a joke. He is legit mentally ill. The joke of the story is that the world is playing along with his delusion so none but him is actually roleplaying.

And no, he doesn't have a meticulous plan or something like that. He does things as it go. Like "Oh this should be cool in this situation" and such.
He's a daydreaming idiot who worked hard to instantly gain a lot of power and abilities that he always wanted. He also has either extremely good luck or instinct to identify the conspiracies that he doesn't personally believe.

Self-serving without being narcissistic, but I wouldn't say he's actually mentally ill.

Just very singularly focused on his personal brand of hedonism with a bit of tunnel-vision.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 10:10   Link #144
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
It will certainly be a bit stupid when Cid goes back believing that his followers are just putting up a show for him, when he already has been killing people he knows are member of the royal knights. Presumably he'll kill the sword instructor guy without too much of a problem (relatively) and "have" to rescue Alexia. What idiotic mental contortions will he be written to have to go back to believing nothing really is going on?
I think you didn't understand that part. When Cid talks about playing or faking, he doesn't talk about faking killing or anything like that. He knows very well that they are killing people. What he means is that they have the sensibility to pretend that they are killing cult people and not just common criminals, thus making something cooler.
One of the reasons he thinks they abandoned him is that he thought they were seeing him with some lame guy for bragging about killing "redneck criminals".

It is important to remember that cid is not someone who kills anyone, he does have a code of ethics, but we will see that later. We're still halfway through the first book.

Quote:
don't see any Hikigaya to him, but there's a lot of Haruhi

What I mean by that is that although he suffers from chunnybio, when he confronts himself in certain situations he thinks of pessimistic situations and tries to rationalize them.
Old 2022-10-28, 10:49   Link #145
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Gotta love hot girls in skintight outfits !
Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
Ep 5 pvs

They censored the scene where Cid becomes the best protagonist in the history of an LN.

Sad!
That Alexia blush !
Old 2022-10-28, 10:57   Link #146
Greenish Growth

Cid also reminds me a bit of those really old, mystical superheroes in comics and masked characters on radio that would say something mysterious/supernatural while they're talking to the villain.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 11:17   Link #147
magnuskn

Quote:
I think you didn't understand that part. When Cid talks about playing or faking, he doesn't talk about faking killing or anything like that. He knows very well that they are killing people. What he means is that they have the sensibility to pretend that they are killing cult people and not just common criminals, thus making something cooler.
One of the reasons he thinks they abandoned him is that he thought they were seeing him with some lame guy for bragging about killing "redneck criminals".
The show doesn't communicate anything about that, though. I'm not going to say that this is good writing, if I would have to check out the source material to even understand what is going on.

Quote:
It is important to remember that cid is not someone who kills anyone, he does have a code of ethics, but we will see that later. We're still halfway through the first book.
With the way the storytelling so far is going, I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing anything of that at all.
Old 2022-10-28, 12:20   Link #148
candyflip

Quote:
The show doesn't communicate anything about that, though. I'm not going to say that this is good writing, if I would have to check out the source material to even understand what is going on.
I understood it reasonably clearly from the 2nd episode.
That
a) he made up the enemy and completely belives it's made up (scene in the shed)
b) unfortunately hit the jackpot, but only the girls know that (scene in the cave)
candyflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 12:55   Link #149
magnuskn

That's not what I was responding to, however.
Old 2022-10-28, 13:13   Link #150
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:

With the way the storytelling so far is going, I wouldn't hold my breath about seeing anything of that at all.
I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately most light novel adaptations still use anime only as a form of promotion and don't focus so much on details and details make a difference.

I just wanted to explain these points.
Old 2022-10-28, 14:29   Link #151
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Ah, nice, this series has animé shorts too, called Kage-Jitsu, and it's in the same channel that provides the 2 previews for the following main series episodes each week.
Old 2022-10-28, 14:36   Link #152
magnuskn

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but unfortunately most light novel adaptations still use anime only as a form of promotion and don't focus so much on details and details make a difference.

I just wanted to explain these points.
No problems, I appreciate the effort.
Old 2022-10-28, 16:51   Link #153
Tenzen12

Quote:

-He made up fictional cult because he's chuuni
-but it's actually real thing.

Is there anything else that need to communicated? That's whole premise of show. If you can make sense of these two sentences (I don't think there is need to read novel to get that), you understand everything about this anime.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2022-10-28 at 17:25.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-28, 17:31   Link #154
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
-He made up fictional cult because he's chuuni
-but it's actually real thing.

Is there anything else that need to communicated? That's whole premise of show. If you can make sense of these two sentences (I don't think there is need to read novel to get that), you understand everything about this anime.
AGAIN, I was replying to the specific stuff LG-Max was saying. Stop trying to sound like a smartass when you can't even get that basic fact right, dude.
Old 2022-10-28, 18:20   Link #155
Tenzen12

Except everything LG-Max said can be summarized by these two sentences.

Even if you want elaborate. Anime did show Cid believes he's killing mere bandits and not actual cultists. He explicitly said so himself.
Old 2022-10-28, 21:51   Link #156
LG-MAX 2.o

Spoiler for Beta mousepad:
Old 2022-10-29, 02:33   Link #157
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Except everything LG-Max said can be summarized by these two sentences.

Even if you want elaborate. Anime did show Cid believes he's killing mere bandits and not actual cultists. He explicitly said so himself.
That was in the second episode. I was asking about the fourth one, where it's not as easy to rationalize it away with "just bandits", because Cid now is fighting royal guards and sword instructor guy.
Old 2022-10-29, 05:05   Link #158
Tenzen12

There is no really difference though. Kidnapping princess is still crime, so he can kill kidnappers while "pretending" they are cultist as part of roleplay.
Old 2022-10-29, 05:20   Link #159
magnuskn

Alright, whatever. Show is stupid but fun, anyway.
Old 2022-10-29, 06:40   Link #160
ryllharu

The episodes end in the best place theatrically, but the worst place thematically.

The way the anime has sliced up the content is very strange. It isn't based on the manga very obviously, and is presumably following the framework of the LN more closely, yet if we do compare it to the manga, we're almost always ending mid-chapter.

He killed the guards because they were threatening him with immediate harm. If he hadn't, Beta would have. But he was also angry with those two for out-NPCing him. They gave themselves instant death flags, they had an air about them where you never really needed to know their names, and were cocky and over-confident. The kind of idiots that Cid really wants to come off as so he can make the switch to Shadow more dramatic. The only audience he is doing any of this for is himself.

It has been obliquely explained in the anime because he's astonished that the girls are still playing along.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem