AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2014-06-21, 05:15   Link #321
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Peco should have lost to Kazama, not win just because of nostalgia and friendship.
No. Peco won simply because he's faster than Kazama. Once he stops favouring the injured knee it's when we see how great of a player he can be. The entire flashback scene is simply him psyching himself up for the correct state of mind. In the first episode when he was smashed the things Kong complained about were of his techniques, which is a non-issue once he tidied them up with that training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Smile shouldn't have purposely lost and tried to become Butterfly Jo 2.0.
The first rally pretty much showed that Smile doesn't give a sht about Peco's knee. Smile is good at targeting the opponent's weakness and keep on hammer it in. However Peco is able to do scramble defence to cover for any of his potential weaknesses with his speed. Smile doesn't have a killer shot, he just knows which button to press, and that wont' work against Peco. If he wants to purposely lose he wouldn't dive into the sign boards and keep on returning the shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Kazama going down the path of ruin simply because he could not beat Peco made no sense to me.
No, Kazama suffered from a stress fracture in his left small toe and that affected his performance. He was kicked after 1 year of bad results, and then Kong filled in. The news article explained perfectly a common occurrence in professional sports. The timeskip happened several years after the event in the main story, as seen with 3 kids for Sakuma.

In short, you weren't paying enough attention to the show simply because you had the stigma against sports in general, and that makes your arguments laughable as of result.
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 18:05   Link #322
Gummy Bear
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
What an absolutely awesome show. So sad it is over. I totally blown away by the layout and flow rather than stunning artwork. As package this show clearly stood out from the rest. Any chance their is a second season?
Gummy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 20:42   Link #323
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
nah, the 11 episodes even pads out a bit to make sure the 5 volumes worth of content isn't too little. The manga finished 17 years ago.
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 22:36   Link #324
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
In the news article with Kong, it listed his name as Tsujido Wenge. So that means he ended up settling and becoming a citizen of Japan?

Also, is there a kind of symbolism to when at the end with the rock skipping, kazama's stone just sank, while Smile's kept on bouncing?
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 23:57   Link #325
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
I guess I'm one of the rare folks that was letdown by the ending... While it was an incredible series I felt the last episode did what so many last episodes in anime do and that's just feel rushed and anticlimactic...

What I enjoyed in the previous match with Kazama and in several others was the in-game strategy and intrinsic mind games that take place during the match...The dialog and the wit of a given match...While visually awesome at times, in the biggest match of the series that fundamental thing they had incorporated throughout the entirety of the show felt missing to me...Then it just goes on this dream tangent time skip, and I'm like....OK...

Ugh, I didn't keep up with enough of the offscreen stuff so I didn't even know this was the last ep until the end, but even with that said, this is a series I was mesmerized by and I can't believe I have this sort of hollow feeling because the headline match just wasn't enough in-terms of how the show set up these matches...It was pretty but it was missing something....
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 03:04   Link #326
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
The final match of the series will always be thematic heavy instead of actual fight. This series is pointing to that direction since the very beginning anyway. In fact I'm glad we actually got one fantastic animated sequence at all.
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 03:12   Link #327
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I wasn't exactly let down by the finale; I thought the final episode was just decent. Like jeroz said, it was a bit predictable what would happen in the end, so I got exactly what I expected, nothing more nothing less. So there's nothing to complain about. It's a decent way to end a good series.

7/10, one of the best series this season

EDIT: Flower's post in the previous page basically summarizes how I feel about the series.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 05:04   Link #328
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
No you got me wrong, my point is that we never expected anything to top the dragons fight at all. Instead it gave us a fine epilogue featuring all the characters we love. Had the final match gone any other ways for the sake of it we would actually feel betrayed. This show does what it sets out to do really well, and probably will be my first box set purchase.

Seriously, is there anyone who actually think Peco isn't stronger than Smile?
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 05:12   Link #329
hamazura
whatever
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: wherever
i didnt expect this anime could be so good.
i thought china will be the final boss but then get rekt easily by dragon baldy.
onward to episode 5...

i think smile refuse to join kaio high not because he isnt interested in winning, its just he dont want to shave his head bald
__________________
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 05:18   Link #330
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
No you got me wrong, my point is that we never expected anything to top the dragons fight at all. Instead it gave us a fine epilogue featuring all the characters we love. Had the final match gone any other ways for the sake of it we would actually feel betrayed. This show does what it sets out to do really well, and probably will be my first box set purchase.
I know exactly what you meant, and used the term "predictable" to give a different twist on how others might interpret the same facts. :P
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 15:02   Link #331
Haak
Me, An Intellectual
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 29
That was a bit of let down for me and not just because I never found Peco's re-emergence as a hero convincing. That epilogue was just so out of nowhere i just felt cheated. The epilogue itself was mostly nice but still.

But whilst the finale illustrated its flaws, it also illustrated its strength which is it's excellent focus on so many different characters. My favourite scene was when the old timers got to meet up and reminisce.

Still a darn good series, even if I was disappointed by the route it went down toward the end.

Overall rating: 8.3/10
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-22, 19:54   Link #332
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
That epilogue was just so out of nowhere i just felt cheated.
I could never understand this opinion at all. We reached the conclusion of the match when Smile feels emotions again, so the next logical step is to tie everything up together. Once the goal is achieved there's no need to dwell on it further. What were you expecting anyway? A 5 minute award ceremony where they all make their speech and end at that tournament?
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 17:20   Link #333
Cloudedmind
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Age: 34
Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
For me this episode was perfect. The time skip did seem abrupt at first, but I'm glad they added it because it felt more meaningful to me that we got to see how everyone fared after the tournament, then actually seeing how Peco wins. Seeing how everyone grew from this experience was the culmination of the whole "coming of age" theme.

Personally, I don't think Smile let Peco win, that would completely go against his character growth. Smile had been defaulting to Peco for years, which hadn't done Peco any good. To me part of Smile and Peco's character growth was for both of them to get out of their old habits. If Smile just lets Peco win then they're right back where they started.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 20:05   Link #334
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
I could never understand this opinion at all. We reached the conclusion of the match when Smile feels emotions again, so the next logical step is to tie everything up together. Once the goal is achieved there's no need to dwell on it further. What were you expecting anyway? A 5 minute award ceremony where they all make their speech and end at that tournament?
I don't wanna say you're that guy, but the more I read it seems like you might be that guy that thinks people didn't get it like you got it...

Let me state this simply:
The show had presented matches in a certain way, but in the final episode between the two main characters the show didn't feature that match in the way it had set up every keynote contest in the series...

There were no moments of "OMG, is Peco gonna win this critical point??" or "OMG Is Smile gonna win this critical point?" (Throughout a prolonged battle that is)....

Given this was the final match and so many matches had intrinsic qualities, self-commentary, moments of doubt and 1up-menship....this match didn't really have that...That's somewhat disappointing...There is nothing hard to understand about that, IMO...

It was basically a cool start that turned into a music video filled with cool animation then oddly turning into an epilogue/ time-skip, then its over...

So its like I DO understand your opinion (The Smile-Peco dynamic with the game being played thematically rather than fundamentally), but at the same time i completely understand why some, like myself, felt a little weird or unfulfilled by certain aspects of this final episode...

I don't know if I should have thought Smile should or shouldn't win but I would have enjoyed to see it play out in the manner the show had established from the outset...

Again, phenomenal series that I won't soon forget...I mean my God the utilization and art-direction of the comicbook/manga panel elements alone is worth the price of Poseidon matted-court tennis shoes, but like a million other animes it ended in a fashion that is completely understandable why one would be a little disappointed...
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 20:50   Link #335
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
I disagree, none of the matches was about the actual state of the game, it was about the people playing it, and it being a metaphor for their path and aim in life. Sure, a goal was being a Ping Pong Pro, but the actual game itself was never the focus, unlike other sports animes where it concentrated on the sport itself, and sprinkled human interaction like friendship.

This one concentrates on the humans, and sprinkles it with the sport.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-23, 21:24   Link #336
wingdarkness
Retweet Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: ニュー・オーリンズ、LA
Quote:
Given this was the final match and so many matches had intrinsic qualities, self-commentary, moments of doubt and 1up-menship....this match didn't really have that...That's somewhat disappointing...There is nothing hard to understand about that, IMO...
Read this again...I'm talking about the established theater of the matches, not it as an actual sport...slow ya roll...:-)
__________________
Fly since ...
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 14:10   Link #337
BigFire
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yuasa must like Kong because I don't even think he's mentioned in the time skip in the manga .

Anyhow, I'm not sure how that really is all that neat and tidy IMO. There is a lot of ambiguity about the result of the match between Peco and Smile. Did Smile really player seriously? Did he lose on purpose? Did he lose something when he shed his robotic self and started to just enjoy playing ping pong with peco? Did he just waste his talent for the sake of a simpler life? Ping Pong leaves those answers to your imagination and I think you could make a case either way.

Anyhow, this is easily the best nonsequel show I've seen since Shinsekai Yori. There will be other candidates for AOTY later this year, but right now Ping Pong is looking like the strongest contender as of this moment. Splendid work by Yuasa as he really did add a lot to an already pretty damn good manga. Such dynamic and interesting visuals despite the budget helped a lot too. Fabulous show.
The whole point of the show is to gave it all. Of course Smile play his very best game against Peco. There is no shame in loosing to Peco when you go all out. I mean, just look how happy he is on the podium next to Peco.
BigFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-24, 23:38   Link #338
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
There were no moments of "OMG, is Peco gonna win this critical point??" or "OMG Is Smile gonna win this critical point?" (Throughout a prolonged battle that is)....
14:05
"And it's not like it matters who wins this one."

We never see the points once ever since they started the match.

I'm just confused as to why there are people who were expecting that we are going to see a repeat of style similar to the Peco-Dragon match when the story showed us since a long time ago that the score doesn't matter in the fight between those two as long as the hero returns for Smile. In fact narratively speaking Smile can only gets his GE if he loses while going all out, so he can believe in the hero again.
__________________
[TAC]
[TAC]
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-19, 03:16   Link #339
Kamieichi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Anime and Live action movie comparison videos.
Part 1
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 2
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 3
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 4
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 5
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 6
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 7
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 8
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 9
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 10
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Part 11
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Kamieichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 09:58   Link #340
Dark Paladin X
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Funimation has obtained home video rights for Ping Pong with an English dub.
__________________
Anime junkie, video gamer, English dub fan, loli lover, and a Tv Tropes sumo. Trope pages created by me: Black Bullet, Erica Mendez, Christine Marie Cabanos, Bang Zoom Entertainment, Clint Bickham, David Wald, Studiopolis, Corey Hartzog, NYAV Post, Max Mittelman, Brianna Knickerbocker, Scott Gibbs, Faye Mata.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.