AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-06-20, 12:38   Link #321
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
OMG, the guy actually get a fugging seizure while having a vid conference! How the heck did he even managed to get in the army if he's got medical condition?
Did NOT expect that. I pinned him as an idiot but an ideological zealot. So I didn't think he would faint at the thought of being involved in actual combat.

They kinda lucked out on that. If he came there and ordered them to hold the ground and added his TACTICAL AND STRATEGIC BRILLIANCE to the defense, FPA wil be 60% of the navy shorter soon.

Also this episode is clear grounds for the doctor to use his privileges and take him off duty for medical reasons. You can't have someone who you can't tell difficult stuff ir else he'll faint in the chain of command.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-20, 13:22   Link #322
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Did NOT expect that. I pinned him as an idiot but an ideological zealot. So I didn't think he would faint at the thought of being involved in actual combat.

They kinda lucked out on that. If he came there and ordered them to hold the ground and added his TACTICAL AND STRATEGIC BRILLIANCE to the defense, FPA wil be 60% of the navy shorter soon.
He technically doesn't have the authority to do that. But he could probably manipulate the one who does.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2018-06-20 at 16:18.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-20, 16:05   Link #323
Ithekro
Gamilas Rises

I doubt the FPA has ever really lead a "liberation" campaign outside their own world before. So they will be encountering new things every planet and thus not know what to do.
Old 2018-06-21, 05:13   Link #324
Skaddix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
He technically doesn't have the authority to do that. But he could probably manipulate the one who does.
Yeah that why he was having a panic attack. He got an offer that he knew was mocking him since he is not high enough rank to switch places and takeover the field command. He is only Colonel...I don't think he is even high enough to command a single fleet.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-21, 10:12   Link #325
pervypig

I can just smell a new meme coming up... The way he collapse is just too "Falking" hilarious.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 12:21   Link #326
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Well, they just ended the series right in the middle of the arc. Not even a trailer for the movies at the end or anything.

If I have to compare it to the OVA, this new adaptation is terrible. I can't compare to the novel since I haven't read them but the changes they made seem to have all been for the worse. If I ignore both, then I guess it was a pretty good series, mostly thanks to Yang and the good production values.
Old 2018-06-26, 12:41   Link #327
RDNexus

I, honestly (and as I said before), preferred this new version over the old-school version.
Not only thanks to the great animation quality and revamped designs overall, but also because it managed to get me always interested and eager to keep watching, whereas the old version ended up making me feel like watching the story was a chore.

But, well, each one to each's own, right?

You can download it here. Feedback is welcome. I hope you like it.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 13:02   Link #328
Panzercracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
Yeah that why he was having a panic attack. He got an offer that he knew was mocking him since he is not high enough rank to switch places and takeover the field command. He is only Colonel...I don't think he is even high enough to command a single fleet.
Falk is a Commondore, higher than Colonel but lower than Rear Admiral. That rank can command a flotilla or a squadron. Of course, still can't command entire field.
Panzercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 14:12   Link #329
4th Dimension

This last episode was kinda meh. Lot of fancy explosions but not a lot of explanation on why The Alliance is loosing and why the enemy suddenly seems to also have a numerical superiority.

I'd have liked to see more of explanations on how the enemy gained the upper hand in each of the battles and how Yang got that more lightly off. And he certainly didn't do that because 2 fightr craft got their guns back.

Also cutting them off and them kinda suddenly starting to suffer cutt off effects just because K hit ONE resupply convoy was also strange.

Old 2018-06-26, 16:16   Link #330
AntonKutovoi

Wow. I can't believe they haven't finished the first book and just cut it off like this.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-26, 20:12   Link #331
Wandering Soul

The way they choose to end this series is giving me Gangsta flashbacks
Old 2018-06-26, 20:22   Link #332
wissenschaft

Blue Balls, the ending.
Old 2018-06-26, 20:39   Link #333
Mangonel

Quote:
This last episode was kinda meh. Lot of fancy explosions but not a lot of explanation on why The Alliance is loosing and why the enemy suddenly seems to also have a numerical superiority.

I'd have liked to see more of explanations on how the enemy gained the upper hand in each of the battles and how Yang got that more lightly off. And he certainly didn't do that because 2 fightr craft got their guns back.

Also cutting them off and them kinda suddenly starting to suffer cutt off effects just because K hit ONE resupply convoy was also strange.

We're seeing the fruition of the tactical issues brought up during the original planning phase of the operation.

The FPA fleets have been spread thin and have gotten to the point of severe rationing while the Imperial fleets were literally coming fresh off their homeworld. That alone is huge. It's not mentioned that every Imperial fleet is larger than its opposing FPA fleet though per dialogue. I don't consider the radar displays to be anything more than illustration of battlefield orientation.

The other major issue is that the fleet is getting very poor instruction from high command. Its implied in a few scenes that higher-ups are aware they're making shitty decisions. IE The Iselhorn scene where the second in command almost takes offense at the orders hes been given. I think the implication is 3rd faction meddling, probably through corruption.

As for the supply issues, the anime doesn't make it super obvious but it seems we're jumping around days-weeks. Given the retreat was requested when the fleet still had reserve foods and that this battle took place when rationing had gotten to combat-personnel only.

As for Wang's fleet he had some plot armor being in a nebulous region that made laser weapons ineffective. This forced non-conventional close combat that he was able to fight the opposing force to a standstill in, thereby creating an opportunity to flee.
Mangonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 07:52   Link #334
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I can't really say that I'm impressed with this remake. LoGH has a huge cast of characters and you simply can't render them justice with such a short series. So many important characters barely had any screentime, Reinhard himself didn't fell like a co-protagonist especially at the end of the series, if I didn't know the OVA I would probably interpret the galactic empire scenes as nothing more than the usual screentime reserved for the baddies.

I do feel like the original series could benefit from some trimming and some art upgrade, but this wasn't particularly well done. And I'm not saying that this is a bad anime, because it's not, but the original LoGH is way more than just an "okay" anime.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 09:55   Link #335
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Wait, this was the finale? Fuck. It's too bad because I really loved the look of this remake - the space battles and maneuvres looked absolutely majestic. If I go back to the old OVAs to find out how the story continues it'll be hard to get used to that pew-pewing Lego bricks aesthetic.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 10:57   Link #336
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's either getting into the OVAs or waiting at least a year if not more for the movies to come out. Even then, it's not like the movies are going to cover much ground if they keep this pace.
Old 2018-06-27, 12:43   Link #337
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Wow. I can't believe they haven't finished the first book and just cut it off like this.
What do you mean, this is still Vol01?

EDIT: Went to check the Wiki...dear goodness, it's true... And it still cut content? How big is each novel, for goodness' sake?

You can download it here. Feedback is welcome. I hope you like it.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-27, 13:22   Link #338
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

For comparison's sake, the battle depicted in this episode took place in episode 14 and the first half of episode 15 of the OVA. And that was with the OVA having three full episodes about stories that weren't in the novel worked in, and a good chunk of episode 14 focusing on how the riots started. So if you take them out, you end up with roughly the same pace. And here we all thought the series would be rushed when the number of episodes was announced.

They should have at least paced it so they'd be able to end volume 1, ending the series the way they did is terrible.
Old 2018-06-27, 13:55   Link #339
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonel View Post
The FPA fleets have been spread thin and have gotten to the point of severe rationing while the Imperial fleets were literally coming fresh off their homeworld. That alone is huge. It's not mentioned that every Imperial fleet is larger than its opposing FPA fleet though per dialogue. I don't consider the radar displays to be anything more than illustration of battlefield orientation.
Ehh. I get that they had their supply situation strained because of the need to truck in food for the civvies, but starving your own troops is ridiculous, especially when the enemy fleet could jump them at any time.
This could make sense if MrRedShip was raiding their convoys for a while now, meaning the barely adequate supplies were being reduced. But the way I saw it they were doing relatively fine (for now) but couldn't feed the civvies, and wanted to pull back and reconsilidate. Then K hit one supply barge (and it's just ONE, not even a fleet or anything) and suddenly it's WE ALL STARVING NOW. And that's not really shown that well except in ONE case with that mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangonel View Post
The other major issue is that the fleet is getting very poor instruction from high command. Its implied in a few scenes that higher-ups are aware they're making shitty decisions. IE The Iselhorn scene where the second in command almost takes offense at the orders hes been given. I think the implication is 3rd faction meddling, probably through corruption.
Sure the high commander is a fucking RETARD. But by this point all these fleets have been pretty much operating on their own, given that they started to withdraw before getting the permission from Iserlon. Also this could be believed if they showed Imperials doing divide et Impera and not hitting all of them at once bu massing on a smaller number to focus firepower. Instead what we see, is each fleet being confronted by seemingly impossible odds. Meaning in all except one case, the Imperials held the advantage, pretty much in numbers.

Old 2018-06-27, 23:51   Link #340
HunterSeeker
The Spirit of Steel

Location: HKSAR, PRC, Asia, The Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Send a message via MSN to HunterSeeker
Quote:
Ehh. I get that they had their supply situation strained because of the need to truck in food for the civvies, but starving your own troops is ridiculous, especially when the enemy fleet could jump them at any time.
This could make sense if MrRedShip was raiding their convoys for a while now, meaning the barely adequate supplies were being reduced. But the way I saw it they were doing relatively fine (for now) but couldn't feed the civvies, and wanted to pull back and reconsilidate. Then K hit one supply barge (and it's just ONE, not even a fleet or anything) and suddenly it's WE ALL STARVING NOW. And that's not really shown that well except in ONE case with that mechanic.
Food supplies are already running low from the start, as they have to deal with civilian needs at the same time (which is Reinhard's plan to strain FPA's supply), and IIRC the high command told the frontline forces "solve the problem on spot" (they certainly said so in the OVA, which, in frontline's sense, is to rob local people's food); then riots break out which involve destroying some of the already-limited food supply, further starving FPA soldiers (or at least put them underfed), and K only nailed the coffin.

And let's say a few words about the new anime. Graphics are superior to the OVA without a doubt, BGM are average and some voice acting are better than I thought; however the pacing and character development are still inferior to the OVA. I mean, while the OVA did add in some original contents they're able to give chances for characters from thee sides to shine at some point, instead the anime sided too much time on the FPA side, making the Imperials' underdeveloped. The anime tries to reach the best of the original novel and the OVA but feels falling short for that, which is a shame.
HunterSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote