AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-31, 03:41   Link #2421
cyth
Banned

It sure sounded that way.

Personally I can't come up with a single other studio where clustering elements that bother me goes to such degree. KyoAni had to get right down personal for me to like Free!, but this isn't my regular "consumption mode" for anime. Usually production studios get on my bad side if they continuously suck at some aspect of production, because most of them take on such different projects that you can't really peg them as studio that does X. There are exceptions, such as Sunrise, but I happen to like mecha so. And it's not like I don't like light high school comedy and drama, but this is what KyoAni has been producing now for the longest time. Of course they are going to get pegged as a studio that does it! It really is about genres, this is why everyone was getting hyped about a dark fantasy theme. Unfortunately we got something that doesn't take itself seriously enough and falls into the high school trap.

Maybe the pyschologically damaged may not be old fans and supporters, but rather the studio that is fearful to make anything risky whilst they try to establish their footing as a major production player. Just when are they going to make something out of their comfort zone, this is my question for the studio in 2014.
Old 2014-01-01, 22:53   Link #2422
artesox

I wonder if we will get info about Myriad quicker than KnK (I fear that it will actually take more time, KnK had a fancy video promo for its LN to gather some attention)

For some reason I really liked the premise and design of the LN and since then I have been hunting some info about it, but it is truly hard to find anything at all.
Old 2014-01-02, 01:28   Link #2423
all_flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by artesox View Post
I wonder if we will get info about Myriad quicker than KnK (I fear that it will actually take more time, KnK had a fancy video promo for its LN to gather some attention)

For some reason I really liked the premise and design of the LN and since then I have been hunting some info about it, but it is truly hard to find anything at all.
We'll have Yasuhiro Takemoto directing an anime soon in 2014
Spoiler for inb4:
Old 2014-01-02, 01:34   Link #2424
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_flying View Post
In before that male character in the middle becomes the next Kyon, Tomoya, Oreki etc.
Old 2014-01-02, 01:45   Link #2425
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

...Bonta-kun?
Old 2014-01-02, 01:55   Link #2426
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
...Bonta-kun?

Actually? Yeah, what?
Old 2014-01-02, 02:35   Link #2427
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_flying View Post
Yeah but it probably won't be what you linked.
Old 2014-01-02, 07:46   Link #2428
all_flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Yeah but it probably won't be what you linked.
Its fine to dream a lil bit, Right?
Quote:
Old 2014-01-02, 15:39   Link #2429
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
...Bonta-kun?
Now they're just messing with us
Old 2014-01-02, 20:13   Link #2430
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Now they're just messing with us
This is from Gatoh's new novel series. It's his own callback to the original FMP novels in his new series. It has nothing to do with taunting overseas FMP fans about a lack of anime. Please stop feeling this way.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2014-01-03, 07:34   Link #2431
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
This is from Gatoh's new novel series. It's his own callback to the original FMP novels in his new series. It has nothing to do with taunting overseas FMP fans about a lack of anime. Please stop feeling this way.
Agreed. There hasn't been a Full Metal Panic anime, of any sort, in 8 years. 8 years is an eternity in anime. Nobody in the anime industry is going to be taunting fans over a 8-year old anime. At most, it might be used for the most inside of in-jokes.

And speaking as someone who used to be truly embittered by KyoAni's handling (or lack thereof) of the Haruhi anime... It's time to let it go, FMP fans. I eventually came to terms with KyoAni never doing more Haruhi, and it's been good for my mental health. And Haruhi had an anime much more recently than FMP did, and Haruhi was much more commercially successful (at least as an anime) than FMP was.

Honestly, why would KyoAni ever do FMP again? It obviously doesn't fit the current artistic/creative style of the studio, it doesn't fit their current business model (make anime adaptations out of in-house LNs), FMP did poorly sales-wise by KyoAni's standards, and it's something they haven't touched in 8 years. Really, save yourself the grief, and just let it go.
Old 2014-01-03, 09:31   Link #2432
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed. There hasn't been a Full Metal Panic anime, of any sort, in 8 years. 8 years is an eternity in anime. Nobody in the anime industry is going to be taunting fans over a 8-year old anime. At most, it might be used for the most inside of in-jokes.

And speaking as someone who used to be truly embittered by KyoAni's handling (or lack thereof) of the Haruhi anime... It's time to let it go, FMP fans. I eventually came to terms with KyoAni never doing more Haruhi, and it's been good for my mental health. And Haruhi had an anime much more recently than FMP did, and Haruhi was much more commercially successful (at least as an anime) than FMP was.

Honestly, why would KyoAni ever do FMP again? It obviously doesn't fit the current artistic/creative style of the studio, it doesn't fit their current business model (make anime adaptations out of in-house LNs), FMP did poorly sales-wise by KyoAni's standards, and it's something they haven't touched in 8 years. Really, save yourself the grief, and just let it go.
Kadokawa Publishing controls the rights to any anime adaptation and they don't deem it financially viable anymore. They could promote Another, but that would just be an Another anime, not more FMP. The novels are done and Gatou's moved onto Amagi.

(If Kadokawa wanted to do FMP, they'd have someone do FMP. See Yuki-chan. KyoAni has nothing to do with it.)

Old 2014-01-03, 09:39   Link #2433
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Kadokawa Publishing controls the rights to any anime adaptation and they don't deem it financially viable anymore. They could promote Another, but that would just be an Another anime, not more FMP. The novels are done and Gatou's moved onto Amagi.

(If Kadokawa wanted to do FMP, they'd have someone do FMP. See Yuki-chan. KyoAni has nothing to do with it.)
I think people don't just want more FMP. Ideally, they'd like KyoAni to do it (though I suspect that FMP fans would glady take FMP anime anyway they could at this point). Besides, this is the KyoAni thread, so it makes sense to discuss FMP in relation to KyoAni, on this thread.

Even if Kadokawa wanted KyoAni to do more FMP, there's no good reason for KyoAni to agree to that, given all the reasons I pointed out. I don't see the harm in pointing that out.

I was less sure if there was any sense in Kadokawa wanting more FMP anime, so that's why I focused on KyoAni. It's good you addressed that Kadokawa side of things, so thank you for that.
Old 2014-01-03, 19:07   Link #2434
Dextro
He Without a Title

To be fair I'm more saddened by the fact that the FMP novels never got officially translated past the 4th volume than anything else. I actually never read the 3rd one since I couldn't manage to find a copy (and the old fan translation is nowhere to be found).
Old 2014-01-04, 01:01   Link #2435
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
To be fair I'm more saddened by the fact that the FMP novels never got officially translated past the 4th volume than anything else. I actually never read the 3rd one since I couldn't manage to find a copy (and the old fan translation is nowhere to be found).
Well, that's pretty sad and sucky. You'd think that the obvious passion of overseas FMP fans would be enough to warrant somebody translating this.

To keep this somewhat on-topic (for the thread), what I hope to see from KyoAni has largely flipped compared to where those hopes were a few months ago.

Of KyoAni's last four works, my personal enjoyability rankings would be...

1, Chuunibyou
2. Free!
3. Kyoukai no Kanata
4. Tamako Market

Not that I hated Tamako Market, but I did drop it after a few episodes, so KnK gets an edge over it for that reason alone. The biggest gap above would be between Free and KnK.

With Chuuni and Free!, KyoAni adapted content well-suited to its distinctive style (Free is simply the gender-flipped version of that distinctive style, pretty much).

KnK and Tamako Market were the two (of the four) most outside KyoAni's comfort zone (KnK for its darker and more action-packed sections; Tamako Market for having a lot of important adult characters and a talking animal fantasy element that's prominent for the whole show).

In my view, KyoAni clearly does its best work when using content that fits snugly within its comfort zone. When it ventures too far outside that zone, it half-asses it a bit.

So I look forward to more Chuuni, and more Free! And maybe we'll see an idol show off the heels of KnK (rather than more KnK itself). If this is what KyoAni goes with, I'll be content.

What do fellow followers of this studio think?
Old 2014-01-04, 02:28   Link #2436
all_flying

Quote:
Well, that's pretty sad and sucky. You'd think that the obvious passion of overseas FMP fans would be enough to warrant somebody translating this.

To keep this somewhat on-topic (for the thread), what I hope to see from KyoAni has largely flipped compared to where those hopes were a few months ago.

1, Chuunibyou
2. Free!
3. Kyoukai no Kanata
4. Tamako Market

Not that I hated Tamako Market, but I did drop it after a few episodes, so KnK gets an edge over it for that reason alone. The biggest gap above would be between Free and KnK.

With Chuuni and Free!, KyoAni adapted content well-suited to its distinctive style (Free is simply the gender-flipped version of that distinctive style, pretty much).

KnK and Tamako Market were the two (of the four) most outside KyoAni's comfort zone (KnK for its darker and more action-packed sections; Tamako Market for having a lot of important adult characters and a talking animal fantasy element that's prominent for the whole show).

In my view, KyoAni clearly does its best work when using content that fits snugly within its comfort zone. When it ventures too far outside that zone, it half-asses it a bit.

So I look forward to more Chuuni, and more Free! And maybe we'll see an idol show off the heels of KnK (rather than more KnK itself). If this is what KyoAni goes with, I'll be content.

I think you're being biased. For starters, I don't really get what this 'comfort zone' was all about. Please elaborate and be specific. Don't use ambiguous term which could be interpreted... freely.

Also, you clearly doesn't know what you're talking about. I mean, this very sentence: "half-asses it a bit." What does that even mean?

If you're disagree with me please... like I said: Be specific and elaborative, don't just throwing vague sentence. If its bad, which exactly the bad part is, if its good, then which was it? What makes Chuuni stands out compared to others? So does Free! and Kyoukai no Kanata.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2014-01-04 at 10:56.
Old 2014-01-04, 07:26   Link #2437
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
They were all fan translated obviously, it's just that the first 4 were taken down when the official translations came out (and what crappy translations they were. editing wasn't particularly good).

Quote:

1, Chuunibyou
2. Free!
3. Kyoukai no Kanata
4. Tamako Market

I agree with you but my list would be slightly different:

1, Chuunibyou
2. Free!
3. Tamako Market
4. Kyoukai no Kanata

Like you I have a large gap in enjoyment between #2 and #3. Free and Chu2Koi were shows I genuinely enjoyed more than I was initially expecting but Tamako Market was a show that disappointed me quite a bit. It's not that it was a bad show, it's just that I believe they focused a bit too much in elements that the show didn't particularly need (the whole romantic aspect in particular. The show worked better when it was closer to slice-of-life).

Kyoukai no Kanata on the other hand suffers from a very serious case of mood whiplash. They added so much of the KyoAni trademark slapstick that it became seriously hard to take the drama and action scenes seriously when they finally showed up. I didn't manage to make a connection to the main characters due to it so all their trials never really connected with me. That's mostly what remove my personal enjoyment of the show.

I have to admit that I nearly dropped the show and only a few days ago did I marathon the second half of the episodes. I'm glad I did pick it back up though since episodes 10 and 11 were in fact rather good episodes with few flaws to them. The final one was good as well but, given that it's the last episode, I can't forgive it for leaving so many questions open and, to top it off, adding new ones to an already poorly explained plot.
Old 2014-01-04, 08:07   Link #2438
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:

1, Chuunibyou
2. Free!
3. Kyoukai no Kanata
4. Tamako Market

I agree with what all_flying said: you need to expand upon your "comfort zone" statement. "KnK has dark and action-packed sections." Well, so does FMP, Haruhi, Munto, and Nichijou has the latter. Tamako Market and Nichijou could be swapped word for word with your definitions. How is that "venturing outside their comfort zone"?

I won't say their shows are without faults. While I love Tamako Market, it's clear that Yamada had an idea in mind that was not well-suited for a late night market. The fact that we only heard about it a month before airing shows how little faith the producers had in it to sell very well. Yamada and Yoshida wanted to tell a tale about a girl living in a shopping district throughout the time period of one year, something new, but not innovative. What they did to make it innovative was to tell the story of Tamako from everyone around her and not her. Thus the best way to do that was to introduce new elements (otherwise, it's not logically consistent to introduce people and such). The fact that Tamako's internal monologue in the prologue to the LN is a better introduction to the market than anything in the show astounds me. Due to constantly shifting focus around Tamako, the audience feels tugged around each episode and that becomes disjointing when watching week to week. I think the pair have realized their flaws in the main series and have worked to strengthen the franchise for the movie.

Kyoukai has more issues than that. Ishidate read the first novel, liked it and chose to become a director of that project, having never done it before. The series becomes more original than the novel (which gets semi-summarized throughout the TV series) and thus Ishidate has to think of new elements to last 12 episodes. He began to overthink things like the final boss of the series and changes things around (some for the better, like Mirai's motivations), which introduces more new elements and motivations which aren't elaborated upon. Therein lies the problem. Ishidate knows why characters act the way they do and the rules of the world, but he doesn't elaborate why things are the way they are and how things progress (or even what ends up of two characters during the final episode). While I can't fault him for Akihito's constant glasses-fetish being mentioned as it was that prevalent in the novel, it becomes grating when mentioned constantly in the first few episodes. This highlights the other big flaw of the series: the clash between Hanada's skill at writing comedy and seriousness. Hanada writes wonderful comedic scenes, but his serious scenes tend to lack a lot of tension, which is needed in an action series. Finally, one of the strengths of KyoAni's animators/direction staff is their ability of capturing characters in their body language/small motions. Action series tend not to emphasize those movements in favor of fast, elaborate, combative motions. Thus, they can't use the strength they've developed and pull off consistent action animation (one note: look at how many assistant animation directors Kyoukai has per episode compared to many other works). It's not matched well to them, but they attempted to do something to appeal to a new audience. This isn't "half-assing" production; it's doing something against how you've drawn for years.

With CTFK, the executives wanted to create works that reached a wide variety of people to hedge bets that any one of them would fail. They also hedge their bets with the merchandise they sell through their store and at event booths. They're also part of the "selling committee" which profits more from video disc sales than people realize. Overall, they're in good shape as a company.

Old 2014-01-04, 11:45   Link #2439
artesox

I'm not a fan of the idea of an studio doing the same set of things and staying on a "comfort zone", each work is its own thing, if it didn't work well this time then a new work might bring a new opportunity to do it right.

KnK might have been a collection of mistakes, but i feel like those mistakes were mostly mundane mistakes, small things that together messed up the whole work, small things that could have easily been fixed. Really, those moments on episode 4, 10 and 11 were things work well were really nice.

If they learn with KnK's mistakes their next fantasy works might turn out well, I think the one main error on KnK was its setting, it was not fit for a one cour show, and actually I'm quite interested in seeing they adapt Coppelia and Myriad because both of them seems to be more "feets on the ground" fantasies that would probably not suffer from the same problems KnK's setting had.

Oh yes, I would like a little light on one issue: why people make such a big deal of everything Kyoto Animation does? I don't quite get it, there are some reactions to KyoAni that I don't observe on any other studio, for example, I never saw people saying that x studio should never do y genre again because one of their works didn't go well.
Old 2014-01-04, 20:23   Link #2440
brocko

For all of its shortcomings, I will still give them props for attempting to dabble into the action genre again with Kyoukai no Kanata. I hope they've been able to take some good learning points from the series and will be able to apply in their future works.

I'm still disappointed the show never lived up to the first 20 seconds of the trailer below, hell they didn't even use the PV song either, not even once lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios