AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-23, 03:54   Link #1
YoSneaky

anime like...

Okay, so I recently finished watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood and I loved it. It was probably one of my most favorite anime ever, if not, my favorite. Now I don't have an anime to watch anymore except for catching up for a few episodes in Bleach and Fairy Tail. Here's a list of some anime that I've watched and throughly enjoyed:

FMA: B
Death Note
Elfen Lied
Code Geass
Bleach
Fairy Tail
Claymore
Highschool of the Dead
School Days
Green Green
Samurai Champloo
Full Metal Panic
Higurashi

So, any kind of feedback for something new to watch would be great. Pretty much anything that can get me hooked. I'd like if the show had some action but isn't centered around action. If it can be plot-driven then I would love it. A little bit of romance/comedy is fine, but not too much. Thanks!
Old 2011-04-23, 03:56   Link #2
User68604
Disabled By Request

pretty broad genres...

try Clannad and Clannad After Story - my #1 favorite series of all time
Old 2011-04-23, 09:19   Link #3
kitten320

FMA: B - did you try original anime series?
Elfen Lied/Claymore - always remind me of Ga-Rei Zero series
Bleach - D.Gray Man series look very similar at the start but then start to differ
Fairy Tail - Maybe Soul Eater?
Green Green - Love Hina seems kinda similar though manga is better.

Fate/Stay Night are very popular series, not my fave though. However, if you like the idea behind series then you can also try Mai HiME and Rozen Maiden.

To Aru Majutsu no Index are not bad action series.

If you want something more plot driven then try Shiki, kinda similar to Death Note actually since it is all about mysteries and solving the problem. Trying to find the answer.

Ghost Hunt are a good detective series about ghosts.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom are a great series about assasins and their life, highly recommend it.
Old 2011-04-23, 09:55   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoSneaky View Post
I'd like if the show had some action but isn't centered around action. If it can be plot-driven then I would love it. A little bit of romance/comedy is fine, but not too much. Thanks!
Moribito meets your need for plot and a bit of (excellently animated) action from time to time. Not much romance or comedy though. For that I might suggest Saiunkoku Monogatari. The first episode is deceptively comedic; the show has a lot of serious moments in it as well. Less action than Moribito though; the conflicts and tension are more political than military.

(Sadly only the dubbed version of Moribito is being streamed legally, at ANN. I can't recommend that because you'd miss Andou Mabuki's richly expressive performance as Balsa.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-04-23 at 13:10.
Old 2011-04-23, 10:43   Link #5
mrShady

Might be stating the complete obvious but:

Trigun

and

Cowboy bebop

both seem to fit, though I can hardly imagine that you haven't watched them.
Old 2011-04-23, 11:58   Link #6
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica

Crest of the Stars

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-04-23, 22:31   Link #7
YoSneaky

Thanks for the input guys. I'm gonna look into Morbito and Shiki and see if I like them. I remember seeing some of Morbito and liking it.

I've tried to watch a lot of the anime suggested in this thread but for some reason I couldn't get into it. For example, Fate Stay Night, To Aru Majutsu no Index, D. Gray Man, Gai-Rei Zero, and Soul Eater. If you think any of those anime begin slowly and I should give another chance, let me know.
Old 2011-04-24, 10:11   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
To Aru Majutsu no Index is plot driven, but the plot is rough and unevenly paced. The Sisters Arc (starring Misaka Mikoto) is usually considered one of the best arcs in the show, but it comes towards the end of the first season. Similarly the Last Order plot which continues the Sisters Arc and combines it with the magic arcs is pretty decent, but that's towards the end of season 2 and also, in my opinion, the anime didn't do as well as the novel on that one.

Basically it's a very frustrating show to watch. It has really good moments, but other times you'll be rolling your eyes.

Soul Eater is very comedic. It does gain serious plot lines later on, but then it has an anime original ending that returns to the comedic roots while the manga continues to remain serious.

You should really take a look at Crest of the Stars, which starts just a little slow (first episode is all about introducing the characters backstory and the world to us) but it continually and steadily builds the plot, adventure, and characters. It has action, but is primarily plot and character driven. It has just a touch of romance and comedy.

Madoka Magica is another that you should really look at. Very tightly plotted. It is plot driven. Very good anime. Appeals to people beyond typical fans of the genre.

Neon Genesis Evangelion (the original TV series) would also be a good one to watch, although it's more character driven then plot- not that there isn't a plot, but it's rather complicated and takes a while to figure out.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-04-24, 14:05   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How about Cross Game? It's not like any of the shows you disliked. It's got an excellent story and some romance, but the only action takes place on the baseball field. Don't be put off by the baseball, though. Look at Sackett's signature above me -- there's a lot more going on in Cross Game than sports.
Closed Thread