AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-09-08, 07:17   Link #21
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
As somebody that has been here for quite awhile, and made ample use of the site the entire time, I certainly vote FOR keeping on keeping on. There is value in absolute terms here, regardless of what other sites also have some manner of value in this sphere.

Frankly, I'm somewhat amazed this is even a concern.
Spirit Chicken! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 08:23   Link #22
amberwolf

I definitely prefer to use the AnimeSuki torrent page, as I specifically am only wanting to see the unlicensed stuff--all the licensed ones I watch via the normal means (licensed-company-site streaming, DVD, etc).

I also use it to check when a series becomes licensed, so I can stop waiting for subs and instead monitor the company site for release info.

I do not want to have to manually figure out what is and isn't licensed over at some other site.

I also enjoy finding those older gems that never got released here, and AS's torrent page is a good place to monitor for newly-translated ones. I also like the multiple links to information about a series, right on the info page for each one.

Normally I check it at least once a day for anything interesting that might show up.

Please don't make it go away.

(BTW: I had to re-create my account here just to post this...for some reason it didn't have me in the userlist anymore.)
amberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 10:11   Link #23
coroloro

AnimeSuki was THE first place I discovered to find anime torrents from. It brought me into the world of actually watching anime 'live' as it came out in Japan, rather than waiting years to see it... or, in some cases. never seeing some anime at all! Right now as I type this, my "home page" is animesuki's torrent list. However, you and others -are- right... I used animesuki as a springboard, and finally, though connecting with other users, found other venues that had more content. As Dist mentioned in his post, Nyaa has become my primary source when looking. However, I still always keep an eye to my 'opening page' to see what I might be missing or have forgotten. I think others posting here have pretty much been saying the same thing: while it is no longer 'the primary place', it is an important back-up resource. The primary question remains, then: are you comfortable putting in the effort it takes to keep animesuki running with it being used that way? Looking for other things to add to it wouldn't be a bad idea. I can honestly say I'd miss animesuki's torrent lists, but unlike before, it wouldn't cripple me.

Animesuki has, however, done what I feel its mission originally was: to bring to light to the anime industry that there are anime fans out here in America who want to watch anime subtitled, immediately, and not have to wait ages for it... and that there are plenty of subbers who don't find it too difficult to perform the task. It's been noticed, and now venues are up.

However...

To me, I find the streams just don't meet the quality level that fansubs can produce. There's nothing quite like the product of some of the -serious- anime fans out there who want to really make sure their anime is represented well and accurately. Also, I find some commercial subs go for what I would call - having a little training in a different kind of translation - "free translations" where cultural terms, that anime otaku's would recognise easily, are erased. I like subs that will sometimes explain those terms, or at least still use them. One fansub explained to me the difference between nakuma and just 'friends' or 'comrads'. I find fansubs have helped me to understand Japanese culture and vernacular better, not just entertain me, while commercial subs seek to serve me entertainment on a platter, minimal thinking/learning necessary.

So I'm in 'your' camp - I haven't jumped on the streaming bandwagon. I go to ANN and keep a list of EVERY anime that is going to come out in a season- then I go through and try them all out, marking those that really interest me, those that kinda do, and those I'm not going to pursue. I then keep up with them through the seasons, changing my list to represent which episode number I'm at and which day of the week the fansubs are released at.

This method means it's easier for me to just look up a sub as I need it, where-as I used to just wait till I saw them that day on Animesuki's list. I also find I watch a huuuge spectrum of anime types, though I do have my favourites.

Animesuki will always have my support - and your forums will always be THE place I go to talk anime and find out WTF is going on in some particularly crazy episodes :P

-Pat
coroloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 11:35   Link #24
mulesquito
Share ratio 130%

Lightbulb Addenda

I forgot to mention that I too have AnimeSuki's "Recently Added" list as my browser's start page.

If the index is no longer worth the effort, then please relpace it with a compendium of (good) external resource links with a few notes on what each one offers to either the veteran or novice anime torrent (or streamer) fan, and maybe a few tips on usage. Over time, it could even grow into a tutorial and guide to finding anime on the Internet.

Occasional updates to a resource catalog should be less bother than maintaining a continuous flood of torrents, but Anime Suki would continue to serve as a springboard and a hub.
Old 2011-09-08, 14:09   Link #25
estokien

Count me as another who has registered to comment on this. I honestly do not know how much work goes into maintaining the torrent listings, so its continuation or not will continue to be up to those doing the work.

I definitely still come to this site (obviously) and pretty much check out the listings everyday. 4 or 5 years ago, I didn't need to go any further for the most part. Today, I am getting a lot less of my anime from Animesuki links, as I have RSS feeds from many of the fansub groups I enjoy, and I also visit Hulu and Crunchyroll and the like. But, would I be going through the Gintama listings now on Crunchyroll, if I hadn't downloaded the movie via Animesuki? I doubt it. Would I know what fansubs groups I enjoy if I hadn't been grabbing their stuff through Animesuki first? I don't think so. If I want to get a friend hooked up with the fansub network, am I going to send them to 8 different fansub sites? No, I send them to Animesuki first.

And why do I always have a tab with the site open on my browser? Because not every fansub group has a website, and there are always animes that are too weird, too ecchi, or too mundane to get licensed. Nyaatorrents is fine if I know what I'm looking for and am willing to wade through the jumble of raws and such to find the fansub, but it is not a place I'd choose to browse through to see if there is anything which catches my eye.

If Animesuki has a smaller place in this new network, then it is because the mission has been successful, more stuff is being licensed faster these days. Anime conventions are everywhere, and anime DVDs have their own section at most stores that carry them. So if you guys decide to take a step back, don't forget to pat yourselves on the back for your part in this. It is your own success that leads you to the conundrum.
estokien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 15:25   Link #26
thickice19
Mog

I recently a few weeks ago stumbledupon this site, and saved it to my favorites in case I could use it. I haven't found any use, as of yet, since I have plenty to watch right now, but I'd hate to see a site like this go when it has so much to still offer. I come here often in search of anything I might find that may be new to me. Like others have mentioned I made an account just to say this.

Cheers.
thickice19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 17:53   Link #27
Nihokon

Truth to be told, I don't find AS torrent index as useful as I find it used to be when I first stumbled upon this site.
Now I look for torrents directly from fansubbers (and most of them post torrents at nyaa so I ended up visiting nyaa quite often), or through bakaBT for older series.
Nihokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 18:58   Link #28
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukahana View Post
Truth to be told, I don't find AS torrent index as useful as I find it used to be when I first stumbled upon this site.
Now I look for torrents directly from fansubbers (and most of them post torrents at nyaa so I ended up visiting nyaa quite often), or through bakaBT for older series.
Since I'm in a "no torrent" zone (only one ISP, its a wireless mom'n'pop, and their circuits just can't handle an unthrottled torrenter) - I mostly use the torrent site for research to find the fansub group which leads me to various links for either DDL or IRC/xdcc. So the site is still very useful to me, but for indirect purposes.

I keep trying the "legal stream" sites... but seriously, they aren't really "ready for prime time" for most people stuck in subpar-DSL or wireless backwaters. Add to that many ISPs have onerous monthly transfer caps now and having to restream an episode every time (and the fact they sometimes vanish from access) and, well, no.

Streaming also has this risk: I'm a Netflix user and I'm watching Netflix get strangled out of the market by cable giants and their incestuous "content providers". Meh.
Old 2011-09-08, 19:41   Link #29
jkimyyz

I want to Thank You for Animesuki.com for the Past .. the Present and for the The Future.
I check it every day. It is reassuring to go to the site. The site with aniDB is my Anime torrent / info site of choice to me. If it was not for torrents it would have been very hard to get hold of fan sub anime to see and track anime for me. Animesuki.com is Light tower well organized anime torrent info. Alot of sites have come and gone.... I like to wish animesuki.com to be around for many years for others see it as the Light in the anime internet darkness. Thanks and Cheers...
jkimyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 21:09   Link #30
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Since I'm in a "no torrent" zone (only one ISP, its a wireless mom'n'pop, and their circuits just can't handle an unthrottled torrenter) - I mostly use the torrent site for research to find the fansub group which leads me to various links for either DDL or IRC/xdcc. So the site is still very useful to me, but for indirect purposes.

I keep trying the "legal stream" sites... but seriously, they aren't really "ready for prime time" for most people stuck in subpar-DSL or wireless backwaters. Add to that many ISPs have onerous monthly transfer caps now and having to restream an episode every time (and the fact they sometimes vanish from access) and, well, no.

Streaming also has this risk: I'm a Netflix user and I'm watching Netflix get strangled out of the market by cable giants and their incestuous "content providers". Meh.
My thoughts exactly, Vexx. I also had Netflix for a quite a while, around a year till I finished all the Family Guy and Futurama :P available for streaming. Still understandable, Comcast and Verizon are gonna start placing limits or throttling. As I know comcast throttles me after 9pm, about 3-4 days out of the week. From 12mb to 4.5-5.5.

CR lacks of course older anime selections, not exactly just current animes are worth watching.

---------

Personally me, I have not used torrents for much anime at all any more and since the time I joined Animesuk back in 2004, I did. But streaming is almost to me the new future, but i neither use Hulu nor CR. For me I'm in between those 2 as I stream for animes I don't bother to ever download and torrent for the quality for the animes I would prefer to watch in higher quality.

I just think Animesuki need to restructure and think about what the site will do now in the future. There's no point in attempting to be the best at everything. Will it keep up with the torrents and stay as it is and improve on it if necessary or will the torrent section be removed due to limited usage from users.

To users like me, I have gone with the almost 100% streaming, either older animes to current this season anime. For me i don't use the purpose of the torrents anymore if the user fan base is not there to use it, and if it is, provide it to them.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 21:25   Link #31
onidragon

Thumbs up wow i had so much to say!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
My thoughts exactly, Vexx. I also had Netflix for a quite a while, around a year till I finished all the Family Guy and Futurama :P available for streaming. Still understandable, Comcast and Verizon are gonna start placing limits or throttling. As I know comcast throttles me after 9pm, about 3-4 days out of the week. From 12mb to 4.5-5.5.

CR lacks of course older anime selections, not exactly just current animes are worth watching.

---------

Personally me, I have not used torrents for much anime at all any more and since the time I joined Animesuk back in 2004, I did. But streaming is almost to me the new future, but i neither use Hulu nor CR. For me I'm in between those 2 as I stream for animes I don't bother to ever download and torrent for the quality for the animes I would prefer to watch in higher quality.

I just think Animesuki need to restructure and think about what the site will do now in the future. There's no point in attempting to be the best at everything. Will it keep up with the torrents and stay as it is and improve on it if necessary or will the torrent section be removed due to limited usage from users.

To users like me, I have gone with the almost 100% streaming, either older animes to current this season anime. For me i don't use the purpose of the torrents anymore if the user fan base is not there to use it, and if it is, provide it to them.
Hmmm... I see more in favor of keeping the site then not...is this the trend? Idon't know. HOWEVER! That said i really love this site as a way to track the older series that may or may not be posted elsewhere. YES i use bakabt NO i don't use streams. I found this site way back in the mists of time when fansubs were either passed around on cd or video tape and torrenting was new. i found out about SMC (saior moon center) through this site. Sue me for loving that show, but don't let others who find this site lose all hope of having a simple anonymous way to reasearch anime. I have found a lot here that i hated and loved just because the single torrents were available to preveiw new shows. I have since purchased those same shows when finally dubbed in the us. Some shows (Sugar Sugar Rune and Daa! Daa! Daa! would never get finnished if new watchers werent looking for the remaining torrents. OMG i just used more charecters here then i have ever seen in all 500+ titles i have found here! plz if the new torrents are stopped plz update the list for older/unfinnished series KISS KISS Karin...we love you
P.S. Sugar Sugar Rune is finnished! find it on BAKABT and add your vote too!

Last edited by onidragon; 2011-09-08 at 21:32. Reason: spell check / postscript
onidragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 22:08   Link #32
wantsfreedom

Send a message via MSN to wantsfreedom Send a message via Yahoo to wantsfreedom
dont end it... it is a excellent site... cuz we can easily look for anime series and new anime episode... dont end it please

Come and join the crew if you want to help.
wantsfreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 22:12   Link #33
Adrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagagigo View Post
Coming out of years worth of lurking here to comment on this. Account created < 3 minutes ago to do so.

There is simply no better index of anime torrents on the internet than Animesuki. This was true back in 2003 when I personally discovered the site, and it is still true now. There is nothing that cleanly as cleanly indexes or makes searchable, by show, exactly what you are looking for. With useful links to other sites to help you learn about new shows, this site simply cannot be beat.
agree

been using this site daily for a very long time I don’t post much hence having to remake an account cant rem my old one

my own small view ide hate to see this site go or drastically change from what it is and has provided your the first site I go to every day perhaps a fresh look and few add on's hear and there would help

the newer streaming is all over these days it doesn’t offer all that you do hear and tbh I would rather have it this way you aren’t falling in line with the mainstream but doing it your way a way that isn’t broken and doesn’t need fixing just a spring clean from time to time :-)

thank you for the hard work and dedication you and your staff put into the site no one ever really says it enough but there are many that don’t that are great full for your efforts.
i hope to still be using your site for many years to come even if its mainly from the shadows ^_^
Adrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 22:44   Link #34
Reticent

I use the torrent index rather extensively at the beginning of each new season, before many shows officially have licensing arrangements, as a means of grabbing first episodes and figuring out what series I want to follow for that season. Sure after I settle on a few I tend to grab the subsequent torrents right from the subbers, but I still value the index here for giving me ideas about what to check out.

Lol, the last time I logged in here before this was apparently more than 6 years ago.
Reticent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 01:23   Link #35
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Maybe this was the idea of Animesuki v3, but I think if you are going to stop putting the torrent links up (because it's a lot of work for not much return), then you should turn the front page into a user-customisable RSS aggregator. Tie a front-page login system to the forum credential database, and if a user is logged in they see a list of torrent/.nzb links from Nyaa, Fanzub, etc. Include some easy to use filtering controls so that users can filter in only what they're interested in.

You could download a single copy of each sites RSS feed every ~15 mins and store that server side and let users filter them. That way you wouldn't be putting any strain on the other sites and you'd be providing functionality that they're not. If a user isn't logged in just show them a list of this seasons airing anime with maybe the number of episodes aired so far, but with no links. Include this page as a link somewhere else for logged in users, and people could still use this site for their series research.
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 08:58   Link #36
ozgnp

The list of links is well-organized compared to many others. I also get to "browse" through the latest titles and see which ones interest me or not, without having to already know what shows are available. That feature is not truly available anywhere else, and I would really miss it if AnimeSuki decided to stop providing their list. Besides, how would we know about older shows being re-subbed without AnimeSuki to tell us they're available?
ozgnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 10:05   Link #37
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I'd say no to the torrent going down, because that is one of the main attractions that brought people to discuss stuff on the forum.

If anyone remembered Animelab (in the late 1990s) and how it became so oldschool and put in one side of the room, that is because it did not change with the times as anime became "free and easy" on the net.

We should improve on the wikia and torrent trackers, or at least provide a status report of upcoming anime like anidb.

Alternatively we can post pictures of Rie Tanaka and Ayanyan Taketatsu to draw more viewers to the site and forums.....

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 13:56   Link #38
Fahd
* >/dev/null

I probably should've put in my first post (in this thread) that I'm using a combination of Nyaa (for RSS feeds), Fansub-Wiki & AniDB (for which Fansub group/stream provider will cover which anime), and Moetron (for season chart previews). What that means is that whether the torrent index stays or goes, I don't have a stake in it either way. I was simply trying to suggest a third option, which might make more people take an interest in the main site again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgnp View Post
Besides, how would we know about older shows being re-subbed without AnimeSuki to tell us they're available?
Yeah... That is the biggest downside to what I suggested. You'd need some kind of filter out everything airing this season, and show the remaining fansubs filter. Probably quite tricky to setup...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
or at least provide a status report of upcoming anime like anidb.[/SIZE]
I think the Upcoming anime wiki page was supposed to do this, but either few people knew it was there, or we're all very lazy . Maybe we could ask a few of the bloggers who maintain the upcoming season chart images if their information could be used on that page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Alternatively we can post pictures of Rie Tanaka and Ayanyan Taketatsu to draw more viewers to the site and forums.....
You'd need to change the domain name to seiyuusuki.com first . It's available btw .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 14:56   Link #39
Itlandm
Porcupine

I am not sure how I would find out about new episodes of old series without AnimeSuki. And the pages for each series that let me find external sources of information, links to the forum, and which fansub groups are on the chase... even if you were to stop listing the individual episodes, I hope those pages would remain.

That said, it is a lot of work you're doing and it's not a living. I respect it if you want to "retire" the site.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 17:16   Link #40
Kicksville

Yeah, I'm registering just now as another person who uses this regularly to keep track of fansubs of older shows, or sometimes just old fansubs. BakaBT is also good in this respect, but of course that's only for things that are complete or relatively complete, and it often takes some of these older shows years to get fansubbed all the way.

And of course, the easy links and info make for less work when I spot a title I haven't heard of before and wanna get the gist of what it is.

I may not be using it for everything like I was nearly ten years ago, but as has been said, the organization here means this is still a prime resource. I still direct people here as a way of finding obscure titles more easily.
Kicksville is offline   Reply With Quote