AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-03-20, 06:35   Link #1
JohnnyRico

Starship Troopers - Uchu no Senshi

I'd love to get hold of this series, as far as I know there has never been a Fansub produced. Even though I don't speak Japanese, I'd still like to get a copy. Anyone know where I might find it?. Thanks.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4136
Old 2006-03-20, 08:17   Link #2
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Hmmmmmmm. I can't tell anything by the mecha pic they have there but back in the VHS days there was a guy at the local anime club who was huge into mecha. Like, seriously big into it. More than anyone else I've ever seen. I should see if he still pops into the club every now and then and I'll ask him about it.
Old 2006-03-20, 09:04   Link #3
JohnnyRico

Many thanks Dragnfly. I'd appreciate it. I'd just finish watching the CGI series Starship Trooper Chronicles which is American made but still highly enjoyable. I didn't realise there had already been an anime version. Apparently it is much closer to the book (which I am now reading)
Old 2006-03-20, 22:32   Link #4
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Actually, you're better off ignoring Uchu no Senshi, Roughnecks was far closer to the novel than either the US movie or Uchu no Senshi if you're looking for a more strict rendition of the storyline.

As for the OVA that you're talking about, it's pretty hard to find and it's ultimately not worth the effort.
Old 2006-03-21, 05:03   Link #5
JohnnyRico

The thing that interests me most about finding the Japanese version is the powersuits. In the movie they weren't mentioned at all and in roughnecks they had jump jets which they barely used. In the book they are described as being huge that made the wearer look like a big gorilla or 'ape' Razak always refers to the roughnecks as apes, thats where it came from, but has lost all meaning in the movie or cgi animation. In Uchu no Senshi the power suits look like they are described in the book. To be honest, I'm 2 thirds of the way through the book and it's pretty dull. Not much action at all, more on his training and mindset as a trooper. I've watched every episode made of Roughnecks STC and it bears no resemblance to the book, they have used character names taken from the book but for different characters that's about all. I'd stilll really appreciate any assistance in finding the original series though. Many thanks.
Old 2006-03-21, 06:03   Link #6
Mincemaker
Hmmm?

Is this anime about man versus giant bug swarm? I don't see any bug swarms in the picture, which the movie is very famous for.
Old 2006-03-21, 08:43   Link #7
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRico
The thing that interests me most about finding the Japanese version is the powersuits. In the movie they weren't mentioned at all and in roughnecks they had jump jets which they barely used. In the book they are described as being huge that made the wearer look like a big gorilla or 'ape' Razak always refers to the roughnecks as apes, thats where it came from, but has lost all meaning in the movie or cgi animation. In Uchu no Senshi the power suits look like they are described in the book. To be honest, I'm 2 thirds of the way through the book and it's pretty dull. Not much action at all, more on his training and mindset as a trooper. I've watched every episode made of Roughnecks STC and it bears no resemblance to the book, they have used character names taken from the book but for different characters that's about all. I'd stilll really appreciate any assistance in finding the original series though. Many thanks.
The power-suits, as described in the novel was based upon, at that time, what would be futuristic...which they believed a lot of these things would be huge, bulky materials, but in this day and age, things like that wouldn't fly. As for the anime, it has very, VERY little to do with the original story and doesn't even include the characters correctly. It would be hard to explain, for example, take a cross of the movie and Roughnecks, now take Jenkins and make him take over Doc's role, it's things like that that feel way out of place in that OVA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincemaker
Is this anime about man versus giant bug swarm? I don't see any bug swarms in the picture, which the movie is very famous for.
The movie is famous for that, the novel it was based upon was nothing more than a look in totaltarian societies and propoganda, and the effects on a tiered society. There is very little in the form of action in the novel, the movie has very little to do with the novel overall, and the OVA has less to do with either really.
Old 2006-03-21, 15:47   Link #8
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

The club doesn't meet until Saturday but I've been told the guy hasn't been there for about three years Sorry. Doesn't look hopeful. But sometimes people do pop back in to say hi at odd times. Tho based on what others have said if he's not there this saturday night I'm giving up.
Old 2006-03-21, 17:45   Link #9
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
The movie is famous for that, the novel it was based upon was nothing more than a look in totaltarian societies and propoganda, and the effects on a tiered society. There is very little in the form of action in the novel, the movie has very little to do with the novel overall, and the OVA has less to do with either really.
The movie was never was based on the book (truely). Paul wanted a movie about giant bugs fighting humans, someone showed him the book, then he decided to take elements and satirize it.

THe roughnecks series was Paul's way of being able to stay true to the novel with some other stuff and doing things he couldn't do in the movies like the Skinnies and the power armors.

Eitherway I was interested in the OVA when I heard about it but I don't think it would beat Roughnecks, that show was awesome for its time, a shame they couldn't finish the series.
Old 2006-03-21, 22:18   Link #10
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Basing a movie on something doesn't mean it'll follow it, it only means that it draws inspiration from it. Sure, it was satrical in nature, but it was still based upon the original novel. Similar to the whole "inspired/based on a true story" thing people love to do now-a-days

As for the Roughnecks, it was actually 'thought-up' well in advance to the movie, however the movie got created the way it did to fit the 'need of the time'. There wasn't a desire for movies to follow the feel of the novel, just mindless action, so he casted basic nobodies carried by a few named actors, basically making it a kinda Beverly Hills in Outerspace type of thing...pretty people carrying big guns. Hell, he has stated several times that the movie was meerly a joke overall and was to be taken as light-hearted as possible, sadly it was hard for a lot of the "Troopers" to do this and they became angry in the way it was made, so he went ahead with the Roughneck Chronicles project.

Again, sadly someone didn't like the idea of a smart and semi-violent 'cartoon', saying that it wasn't suitable for children...which it never was in the first place, so they cancelled it prior to the last few episodes...which ticks me off because to leave off the invasion of Earth made for one hell of a cliff-hanger :P
Old 2007-09-08, 16:35   Link #11
Joda

Has anyone had any luck finding this?
Old 2007-09-08, 16:48   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Moved thread to the Unaired forum (since this is where the Unfansubbed series are also located).
Old 2007-09-08, 17:03   Link #13
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Moved thread to the Unaired forum (since this is where the Unfansubbed series are also located).
Errrrrrr...... there's something seriously wrong with a thread about a 1988 OVA in the Unaired section. :P
Old 2007-09-08, 17:08   Link #14
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Errrrrrr...... there's something seriously wrong with a thread about a 1988 OVA in the Unaired section. :P
From the front page of the forum

Unaired
Forum for discussing anime that haven't aired yet or haven't been fansubbed yet.
Old 2007-09-09, 09:18   Link #15
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Tactical small nukes! Ohhhhhhhh yeah!
Old 2007-09-10, 11:37   Link #16
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

We have the raws from LD source, we'll get it out once we have the staffing.

A big thing is finding a masochist to be the encoder.
Old 2007-12-25, 17:51   Link #17
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

Just to bump this and say we've now released episode 1.
Old 2007-12-25, 20:01   Link #18
wormspeaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRico View Post
To be honest, I'm 2 thirds of the way through the book and it's pretty dull. Not much action at all, more on his training and mindset as a trooper.
As a general response to the subject matter. Don't read a Heinlein book for action. If there is any at all it's usually little and far between. I've read all of them, while they are usually a very good adventure they are far more intellectual than action orientated, even his juvenile books. Read a Heinlein book for anti-establishment concepts, ideas that generally fly in the face of accepted wisdom and "morality", and lots of sex. (Well his later books are mostly about sex, anyways. JB sex, as much as anything else.) A Heinlein book is a great way to expand your mind and your "morals", but if anything ever gave someone the wrong idea about Helinlein works it was the movie "Starship Troopers." That movie is practically the opposite of a Heinlein work, for all that is has his name on it.
Old 2007-12-25, 20:10   Link #19
dodgethis_sg
Storm of Her Wrath

With the release, I feel the need to say.

DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER!
Old 2007-12-25, 20:57   Link #20
Spirit Chicken!

Send a message via AIM to Spirit Chicken!
Awesome...I think I'll try to hang on to the episode then marathon the entire thing whenever it is all done and released. I've come to notice this is my compulsive habit with nigh every seemingly "short" OVA series anybody has started lately...
Closed Thread

Tags
heinlein