Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-10, 17:23   Link #421
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Sorry for the off-topicness, but...exactly what does GAR mean or stand for?
That's an answer for a poet, not for me...

How does one describe it? Manly, without having to try. Heroic no matter the obstacles. Kitmaura Kou. Kamina. Daikichi. Hondo Goro. Gene Starwind.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 17:29   Link #422
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Just go back to the origins of the term. Someone in a fate/stay nigh tthread on some anime board meant to say he'd "go gay for Archer" but accidentally typo'd he'd go "gar for archer" and thus the term was born.

This was after a display of manliness and courage and admirable display of great character.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 17:35   Link #423
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A good recent example would be from Kamisama Dolls. The head of the Hyuga Family is beating on Kirio (a 12 year-old child) with his walking stick. His subordinate, Kouchirou, grabs the stick and quietly says "that's enough". When the Elder protests that he's punishing Kirio failing in a mission, Kouchiriou says he'll deal with that if it becomes necessary, at which point h picks the boy up, throws him over his shoulder and carries him home to his wife.

That's GAR.
Old 2011-08-10, 19:07   Link #424
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
To me, a GAR character is a character that almost instinctively knows what has to be done, knows that it is not an easy thing to do, but does it decisively and effectively all the same. No crying. No whining. No backing down. No regrets.

Guardian Enzo's example of it is a very good one.
Old 2011-08-10, 21:03   Link #425
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I think there are more than a few of us ladies posting here (the original manga was josei after all) and I know I'm liking the story for the same reason everyone else seems to, for Daikichi's determination to be a single parent raising an adorably cute child that isn't even his, even if it means taking a demotion at work and having to schedule so much of his life around Rin's.
Yep, I'm one

I think sometimes it's hard to tell the gender of people on forums.

And speaking if Gar it's too bad Sai Gar is no longer. I bet Daikichi would go far.
Old 2011-08-10, 21:06   Link #426
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Yep, I'm one

I think sometimes it's hard to tell the gender of people on forums.

And speaking if Gar it's too bad Sai Gar is no longer. I bet Daikichi would go far.
If you were GAR you'd revive it single-handed...
Old 2011-08-11, 02:11   Link #427
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

The amount of times that word has been mentioned over the past 7/8 posts. It's mind destroying.
Old 2011-08-11, 02:12   Link #428
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's GAR to talk about it in a manly way.
Old 2011-08-11, 02:27   Link #429
Sol Falling

lol. They say admiration is the farthest thing from understanding. Did someone post awhile back in this thread about being afraid that otaku all over Japan would start adopting little kids because of this series? :P Blind idolization of Daikichi, and his decision to take care of Rin, is in my opinion a fairly shallow way of watching this series.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 11:46   Link #430
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

As opposed to obsessing over what an adorable loli Rin is?
Old 2011-08-11, 12:46   Link #431
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 6.

The tradition of the growing tree lives on!
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 13:30   Link #432
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
As opposed to obsessing over what an adorable loli Rin is?
Well, that'd be fairly shallow also. I'd say the best way to get something out of a series like this would be to try to carefully observe and understand the social forces at work in influencing our major characters. Occupational and familial pressures on Daikichi. School and environmental pressures on Rin. Occupational and interpersonal pressures on Masako. Etc. That's just me though. It's not really a huge deal if people want to buy into the heartwarming.

edit: lol. Well, let's just move onto the next episode...
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 13:42   Link #433
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

This was a nice chapter in the manga, though here it had so much more impact. I must thank the music placement for that, which was spot on from start until finish. I was brought to tears many times during this episode, happy tears of course. You don't get more heart warming then this content.

This adaptation is certainly delivering, and is easily looking at being one of my favourite shows of the year.
Old 2011-08-11, 13:43   Link #434
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Can't get enough of RIn she's so cute. Kouki and Daikichi's interactions were great. Masako was useful for once. Like how Rin's tree was the same as Daikichi's tree.
Old 2011-08-11, 18:12   Link #435
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Definitely a good episode. The whole tree situation turned out nicely in the end and had nice symbolism. Definitely something that Rin's tree turned out to be the same as Daikichi's tree. Do wonder if the Grandfather had any hope or expectation that things would turn out like this.

Kouki is quite the kid. Loved Rin calling Daikichi as doing similar things when he was young .
Old 2011-08-11, 18:36   Link #436
Texas84
よろしく

About time for Kouki's mom and Daikichi to get together isn't it? He's practically a father figure already. No, I haven't read the manga. Not going to.
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 18:51   Link #437
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Did anyone else yell "Don't run into the street!!" when Kouki was dashing down that alley after breaking the plant?

What a good ep of a good series. It's amazing what NoitaminA has done over the last few years, with at least one show in every block one of the best of the year. I really enjoyed Kouki this week - he had me in stitches with the whistle. Due to the direction (Kamei-sama has said he identifies with Kouki because his two young children are boys) and the casting, the portrayal perfectly captures the impishness of the character. He and Rin are obviously adorable together, but I enjoy seeing his developing relationship with Daikichi too (will his mother follow?). As Kouki has no father at home it's only natural.

The other thing I love is the way the series take the large view of the family - a very Japanese view IMHO. Though the series is about Daikichi raising Rin, it's also about the entire family - siblings, parents, cousins - and how they all impact each other. And that applies to those like Souchi that have passed on, too. It's a quietly beautiful thing.

Also loved the wall 'o cereal I.G. added to the ED animation.
Old 2011-08-11, 19:05   Link #438
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Man, I am just LOVING how Rin is becoming so expressive X03!!! The voice plays a BIG role in really giving Rin that childish feeling, but the way she is presented is just...CUTE, esp when she's teasing. You def get the impression that she's growing up. I recall my own little sister as she got more expressive as she was growing up. It's a very wonderful thing to behold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Did anyone else yell "Don't run into the street!!" when Kouki was dashing down that alley after breaking the plant?
No, but the music they were playing gave me the impression that Rin would end up getting lost. I thought it was very adorable though that he ran ahead of her, but kept blowing his whistle so she would know where he was =03.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 20:43   Link #439
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Usagi Drop. Who knew an episode about trees could be so good.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 21:36   Link #440
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This episode was the series weakest by far.

It wasn't bad, I still enjoyed it, but it wasn't as great as the others IMO. Too much reliance on this being heart warming this episode instead of playing with the greater issues at work here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Well, that'd be fairly shallow also. I'd say the best way to get something out of a series like this would be to try to carefully observe and understand the social forces at work in influencing our major characters. Occupational and familial pressures on Daikichi. School and environmental pressures on Rin. Occupational and interpersonal pressures on Masako. Etc. That's just me though. It's not really a huge deal if people want to buy into the heartwarming.

edit: lol. Well, let's just move onto the next episode...
I'm not going to go as far as saying best way to enjoy it, but for me this has been an equal contributor to my enjoyment of this series and that is what led me to enjoy this episode a bit less than other people.

I like this show equally for the heart warming aspects and the societal issues it brings into focus, and this episode didn't really do none of that so my interest waned a little bit.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, noitamina, romance