AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2013-01-04, 15:06   Link #10281
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Minerva's probably good, as in she's righteous. You don't call your character after the godess of wisdom and justice for naught. For what's worth everything about her apart from her chinese vibe reeks of her being equivalent to the goddess with the same name. You all should be more familiar by her other name though, Athena.
Old 2013-01-04, 15:13   Link #10282
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Minerva's probably good, as in she's righteous. You don't call your character after the godess of wisdom and justice for naught. For what's worth everything about her apart from her chinese vibe reeks of her being equivalent to the goddess with the same name. You all should be more familiar by her other name though, Athena.
based on her other name she's just find since she's a snake she blackmails sting and then to get an easier fight uses miliana as a bargaining chip
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 15:26   Link #10283
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Someone call Kratos from God of War to axe Minerva, he's a God Slayer, an actual legit one-v-;;.
Old 2013-01-04, 15:42   Link #10284
Casshern

So if Laxus kills Orga, does that make him a God Slayer Slayer?
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 15:55   Link #10285
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Athena became Minerva but Minerva was a Roman god long before Roman mythology got 'Greeked' so she didn't start off as Athena... which explains the large differences between the two. After all Minerva was never a war goddess but Athena as born as one.

In short Minerva was around and kinda a minor goddess but then Roman adopted Greek beliefs and Romanized them. Since Minerva was already around though she took on Athena's backstories minus the parts that didn't fit or better fit other existing Goddess, such as Bellena.

The Heroes of Olympus series does a decent job explaining it but it really kidized the explaination.

Well to the point... Hiro seems to be throwing in some Athena into Minerva due to all the fighting but at least he kept her prefering other ways to win through intelligence and her kept wrathful side. After all this is the goddess who transformed a rape victim (in some stories, in others a lover) into Medusa just cause she was sworn to celebacy and a male god couldn't be blaimed for wanting to sleep with such a hot woman. Still FT's Minerva is a very interesting character, series is better for her being in it... doubt she'll be in much after this arc though :/
Old 2013-01-04, 15:58   Link #10286
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post
Still FT's Minerva is a very interesting character, series is better for her being in it... doubt she'll be in much after this arc though :/
Personally hope we do see more of her.

(I also like her art; not sure why everyone hates it)
Old 2013-01-04, 16:15   Link #10287
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
What nonsense is there on Erza's part? Erza would sooner team up with Kagura to get her out of the way before dealing with Kagura alone. It's Kagura who's forcing the one-on-one match against Erza, not the other way around. Erza knows better than to try to attempt what you described unless there is no other way around it and right now, Kagura is forcing exactly that.
Erza's biggest nonsense is the fact that she is even a bigger Deus Ex Machina than Natsu.

Ryus
Too late, they already met
Old 2013-01-04, 17:34   Link #10288
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Personally hope we do see more of her.

(I also like her art; not sure why everyone hates it)
felix u like her boobs simple as that cause honestly that's the only redeeming thing about her so far
Old 2013-01-04, 17:37   Link #10289
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
felix u like her boobs simple as that cause honestly that's the only redeeming thing about her so far
Actually I like her eyes. Not into the whole boob fetish that's so common around here (as in the whole damn internet ).
Old 2013-01-04, 17:39   Link #10290
ImperialFlameGod8190

okay fair enough
Old 2013-01-04, 20:23   Link #10291
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I'm with classic here, these are boring match ups now since they have come true.
While I think everyone knew they were coming, you really gotta hope they didn't and have Mashima give us some different for once.

lightning vs lightning, dragon slayer vs dragon slayer etc etc, the match ups have no flair to them what so ever.
Altho outcomes might be different from what we expect, the match ups aren't great in themselves.
At very least like Randrak says gotta expect Gajeel to beat the crap outta Rogue.
Because anything else wouldn't make much sense. And you also have to remember that Mavis's tactics arranged for these fights, ie, she set up fights with the idea that FT would win. Gajeel vs. Rogue makes sense. So logically, it makes sense. Also thematically, it makes sense, since Rogue has issues with Gajeel.

If you're surprised by any of this, then you haven't been reading shonen very long. And given the surprises Mashima has thrown at us in the past, and the flair we've gotten from other fights (did YOU expect Natsu to take on both Sting and Rogue?), I'd say that, if these fights do lack any "flair" then it's okay. Not everything can be a home run.

And we still have Sting, Jura, Juvia, etc. Who do you think they will fight? Do you think it would have made sense for Juvia to fight Rogue?

Honestly, it reads like nitpicking.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 20:50   Link #10292
kitten320

^It makes sense only in a story.
Let's pretend that we are mages and you are lightning user. How big are chances that in this whole arena you would stumble on a Lightning user as well?

There are far more chances for you to fight someone different.

What makes this whole set up worse is the fact that ALL of them got equally matched up. A total stereotype x_x

Sometimes I wonder if authors are forced to follow some rules because of how predictable most of the things are =/

In order for story/manag to be good, it has to be unique and not blindly follow same rule that we saw executes thousands of times.
Old 2013-01-04, 21:43   Link #10293
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Let's pretend that we are mages and you are lightning user. How big are chances that in this whole arena you would stumble on a Lightning user as well?
Pretty big considering
1) Mavis was arranging favorable matchups, and
2) These pairings wanted to fight each other.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-04, 23:14   Link #10294
ImperialFlameGod8190

now to the most interesting question. Who the heck fights Jura Erza admitted her and mira together couldn't beat him. What if the amazing result is that Jura beats every one of the FT members yet FT still wins that would be rather amazing. Especially considering after battling Minerva and kagura there is no way you can legitimately have erza beat Jura and none of the others are even close
Old 2013-01-04, 23:24   Link #10295
Taco Bell
Gordita's for Everyone

i know it's not going to happen but for some reason a scenario in my head is FT wipes the floor with everyone and then minerva kills lector. Sting goes crazy, overuses his magic, and turns into a dragon. Then FT takes him down while he blows up the town.
Taco Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 02:29   Link #10296
MechR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
now to the most interesting question. Who the heck fights Jura Erza admitted her and mira together couldn't beat him.
Technically I think it was Mira who said that, but yeah.
Quote:
What if the amazing result is that Jura beats every one of the FT members yet FT still wins that would be rather amazing. Especially considering after battling Minerva and kagura there is no way you can legitimately have erza beat Jura and none of the others are even close
Jura seemed interested in Luxus, and I think Luxus would stand the best chance. It'd be cool to watch Jura plow through most of the team, but FT would have to build up a pretty big lead first, which would kinda lessen the tension.
MechR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 07:48   Link #10297
classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechR View Post
Pretty big considering
1) Mavis was arranging favorable matchups, and
2) These pairings wanted to fight each other.
1.) We already saw how her predictions screwed up once so its not a big deal.
2.) That`s the problem. It is a competition where hypothetically every match up can happen. If they wanted to fight each other it dosn`t mean author should make these fights for real. Its a shonen logic to put lightning user to fight against lighning user, but its is so boring. Better to see some unexpected pairings.
classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-05, 10:53   Link #10298
kitten320

1) Yep, Mavis plan backfired. Even Gajeel commented on it just now.
2) So just because they want to fight each other, they automatically meet each other? There are around 10 competitors walking around, they were meant to stumble on to someone different. And if that happened I really doubt they would go "I'm not interested in you, buy!" "Me neither, buy!"

I mean really? How many characters would do that?

Same power users are no put in the same area, they were spread out around whole arena! I could believe in 1 or 2 pairs meeting but all of them? Nope.
That only happens in shounen which by every passing day becomes boring because you can predict half of it if not more.
Old 2013-01-05, 12:32   Link #10299
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
1) Yep, Mavis plan backfired. Even Gajeel commented on it just now.
2) So just because they want to fight each other, they automatically meet each other? There are around 10 competitors walking around, they were meant to stumble on to someone different. And if that happened I really doubt they would go "I'm not interested in you, buy!" "Me neither, buy!"

I mean really? How many characters would do that?

Same power users are no put in the same area, they were spread out around whole arena! I could believe in 1 or 2 pairs meeting but all of them? Nope.
That only happens in shounen which by every passing day becomes boring because you can predict half of it if not more.
1). Just because Mavis's plan didn't quite foresee everything in all circumstances, still *doesn't* rule out the high likelihood of it working for several other people. And that's all we need: something to explain why certain people would meet up. Remember, Mavis had them stay put for a good portion of the beginning for a reason(to give time for the field to be thinned out a little, and thus avoid unnecessary matchups) If they had started wandering about aimlessly at the start, you'd have a point. But they aren't.

Also, Mavis has the title of being a master tactician for a reason... now, if little to none of her plan worked at all, we might be complaining that she was given this title for no reason. Instead, the fact that her plan is mostly working, lends support to why she has that title. And so far, her plan has only gone awry with Kagura showing up to Erza's match with Minerva. If we take Mermaid Heel out of the equation as anomaly, Mavis's plan with regards to Sabertooth is still on track.

2.) Someone like Rogue might see an opponent, and decide not to fight them because he's aiming for Gajeel. That's why we had a Gajeel/Rogue matchup. Laxus/Ogra seemed to be looking for each other, too. Thus, if Rogue and Laxus saw each other, they'd probably bypass each other as they'd be looking for other matchups.

So, in short, nitpicking. Could more randomness have played with the matchups? Sure. But we have very legitimate reasons to believe that the matchups were set for a reason.

Never underestimate a tactician, even if you can't see how it can happen, they can. That's why they're a tactician.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-06, 11:04   Link #10300
classic

OK, I understand that if Rogue and Gajeel wanted to fight they would try to meet each other. Same goes for others. BUT the only one who decides everything is Mashima. And In my opininon it would be better not to stick with the plan. Come on, these fights were foreshadowed like weeks ago. Why not to make another twist and surprise everybody?
classic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen