Notices

Old 2010-08-24, 05:08   Link #1
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Glee (TV series)

From Wikipedia

Quote:
Glee is a musical comedy-drama television series that airs on Fox in the United States. It focuses on a high school show choir (a modern glee club) called "New Directions", at the fictional William McKinley High School in Lima, Ohio. The pilot episode of the show was broadcast after American Idol on May 19, 2009, and the first season began airing on September 9, 2009. On September 21, 2009, Fox officially gave the series a full-season pick-up. Glee aired its mid-season finale on December 9, 2009 and returned from a four-month hiatus on April 13, 2010, picking up the remaining nine episodes of the season. The spring premiere had an estimated 13.7 million viewers, nearly doubling in followers on its return. It was renewed for a second season, which is scheduled to begin on September 21, 2010, and will feature three new cast members. On May 23, 2010, it was announced that Glee had been picked up for a third season.
Thoughts about it? On characters, plot, music, etc.?

I actually find it an enjoyable show all in all.

*hopes to not get pelted with tomatoes *
Old 2010-08-24, 07:55   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Screenshots?
Old 2010-08-24, 17:01   Link #3
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Loved Season 1, especially how they'll dig up "older" songs and give them new life. It's something my kids and I could sit down & watch, though the pregnancy arc was utter bleh, IMO.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-24, 23:33   Link #4
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Screenshots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Loved Season 1, especially how they'll dig up "older" songs and give them new life. It's something my kids and I could sit down & watch, though the pregnancy arc was utter bleh, IMO.
Yeah, season 1 was great.
Also, while a lot of people rage over how Glee ruined the "originals" of the covers they performed, I think it was a great idea. As it introduced the music of before to the younger generation. In fact, there were a couple of songs I would have never known if not for Glee. After listening, I looked for it's original version. Plus, if haters are gonna hate, then they can just move on and avoid it, as simple as that.
The pregnancy thing was actually a convenient plot device as it affected a lot of areas in the story (Will's marriage, Shelby's desire for a kid, Finn and Rachel, Puck and Quinn's character development and all that).

Oh and on season 2...do you guys think adding Charice will make or ruin the series?
Old 2010-08-27, 10:35   Link #5
Nosauz

I'll be honest Glee is an ok tv show, the main problem is that it's basically a soap opera during primetime set in Highschool with medleys of songs interwoven throughout the "double episodes". The show does attempt to tackle some hard hitting questions, such as family and tolerance and the only time it doesn't feel campy or cheesy is when Kirk's Dad is involved but again this show isn't about the great writing, it's about the fun choreography, the terrible singing that Finn does, the flamboyant characters like Kirk especially when he does that solo performance in the gym. Still it's fun, overly cheesy, but that's what you expect, kind of like watching a broadway play. Although I believe social cliches in schools are drawn on more subtle lines then just jock/geek/nerd/cheerleader/gay/goth. Plus who doesn't love Jane Lynch? Sue Syllvester and Kirk's Dad are my favorite adults, and probably Savanah, Candice, and the ditzy cheerleader are great characters.

Also best song selection would be both mashups from the mashup episodes, and the remix of olivia newton johns "Let's get physical", also monisha's "That boy is mine" sing off between the girls was pretty awesome and totally captured the original when it came out. Also kiss's "shout it out loud" was pretty good too, although it's insane to think that a school could ever afford those costumes, the rights to the music etc just make one production let alone 21 productions of around the same quality per year. some of the worst... Probably "Don't shoot Johnny"

Once you get past the cheesy, hollywood magic, such as instant preparedness you do get to a rather enjoyable state, but I do feel the lack of struggle climbing or persevering through singing, practicing would in the end add to the shows appeal.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-27, 12:04   Link #6
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

^ LOL, "Don't shoot Johnny"

I think the important thing that one has to remember when watching Glee is that you shouldn't take it too seriously. Hell, how do you think I tolerate Rachel's divaness?
Old 2010-09-21, 21:50   Link #7
Nosauz

New season is out, it's a pretty big step down, especially since the recording industry wants to turn it into free radio. Anyway I'm dissappointed, and the acting is especially bad.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 22:27   Link #8
james0246

I liked the first 5 minutes...then they started signing that silly Jay-Z song from this summer, so I turned the channel. Damn the show would be so much better without all that annoying signing....
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 22:31   Link #9
aruchan

Glee: I really, really tried to resist watching it. I can't. xD
Old 2010-09-23, 01:11   Link #10
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

And Rachel breaks the bitch-meter.