AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 37 20.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 26.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 41 22.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 27 15.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 10.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.68%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.12%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 1.12%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.12%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-10, 15:24   Link #201
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by June 1983 View Post
Hmmm ... I could have sworn there were scenes in the VN when he turned into butterflies, too.
Same here. At the very least, I think there are scenes that describe him as disappearing into shadows, which I always took as melting into them and appearing elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
The way the anime handled it,

Gouda's last stand was much bettter than Rosa's stand

I think the anime staff favors Gouda
Entirely reasonable. Magical Chef Gohda is far better than Rosa and should be more favored than she.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
Spoiler for is it still necessary to put those into spoilers?:
Spoiler for You raise to good points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamad View Post
Anyways, I rewatched the episode and now realized that the Epitaph continues to not make sense as it did in the first game. Unless my memory fails me in my old age, the third twilight (those who remain shall praise my honorable name on high) never happened? The only time I remember people praising Beatrice's name was during the scene in the chapel with all the adults, but that was before the first twilight even happened. The sixth twilight (gouge the stomach and kill) didn't seem to have happened either... since Kanon and Jessica were the second twilight, Nanjo and Kumasawa were gouged in the leg and knee, Shannon was gouged in the head, and both Gohda and George were gouged in the chest. Anyone with more intelligence than I care to elaborate on what I overlooked? Or is the Epitaph just as inconsistent with itself in the VN as well?
It's not just you; I pointed out the lack of the 3rd twilight so far in the previous episode's thread. Beatrice must be a rather sloppy witch to mess up her own resurrection ceremony. George was pierced in the stomach, though. That part was bad presentation on the anime's part.

I'm generally pleased with this episode. I was only annoyed by one omission (Rosa's line about the bullets her daughter loaded for her), but I can't mark the episode down for that personal preference of mine. The scene in the chapel, though, was the first time I was genuinely put-off by Maria's expressions. Sure, creepy-evil-little-witch-girls should have expressions fitting for their status as creepy-evil-little-witch-girls, but they were out of place in that scene and far too exaggerated. Super Paper? People are complaining about that being left out? I don't even remember what that was.
Old 2009-09-10, 15:29   Link #202
June 1983

^Super paper is from the rock paper scissors game the witches play, it's just Lambda being a total dumb ass. It's funny but not that important.

Skipping the third twilight just isn't that big of a deal to me. It's not a specific event, but sort of a mood that is cast over the survivors, really.
Old 2009-09-10, 15:54   Link #203
Antera Caramichael
French Maid

Well i think it is quite important actually, since it define her character, moreover, I don't remember that she said that she was the Strongest Witch in the Universe, which is quite important too.
Old 2009-09-10, 16:59   Link #204
June 1983

It doesn't define her character. It hints at one aspect of her character, and there are many opportunities to demonstrate that aspect of it.
Old 2009-09-10, 17:47   Link #205
ghost_zero5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWorm View Post
By the way - do you also think that Battler dissapearing in swarm of butterflies looks completely out of place? In novel he always walked, or he just was here, its somehow part of his magic denying character - making him to use butterflies is butchering its character in my opinion.
Yeah, I also thought this was strange. I don't remember him to appear through butterflies and especially as you mentioned it would totally go against his character. I mean how can he deny magic if he is using it himself.
HOWEVER, he only has to deny magic inside the "gameboard" and there and because I am not completely sure anymore, I wouldn't deny the possibility that he did something like this once completely.
BUT it definitely didn't happen here, it was the opposite: Battler smashed Beatrice and she turned into gold butterflies and reformed again shortly after.
Actually, I had hoped to see THAT scene in the Anime. It would have been a way "cooler" entrance, not to mention that the dialogs were slightly different too. After all the whole Phoenix thing wasn't mentioned - of course, the whole explanation as to why Rosa suddenly acknowledged that Beatrice is a witch wasn't really shown or told either.

Btw. I thought the Anime was/is "monitored" by Ryukishi07 but if that is the case shouldn't this reforming from golden butterflies have a "deeper" meaning than just be some graphical animation goody - though I dout it?
Old 2009-09-10, 17:49   Link #206
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I'd say they definitely rushed some parts of this, but there was still some quality moments in this episode. I think the mood with the background music helped, but honestly I'm still laughing over Battler making that promise with Maria. He certainly knows how to bounce back from a low point.

I'm a bit more interested out of what the events of this episode do mean. If your looking at the witch conflict side it's a tough spot for Bernkastel. I mean it's enough to be against Beatrice but now she has to deal with a duo including Lambda. Of course her power still is a handy one. Still a surprising moment when she took off that goat head and then walked out of the place.

In terms of the situation at hand Genji is suspicious. Too often that guy was around on his own so he could always go and 'report' to Rosa after he had made preparations. Hard to say what a person is really thinking. If there is a non-magical answer to that situation then Genji really is a part of it. If he isn't it's not like he'd take offence to it .
Old 2009-09-10, 17:51   Link #207
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWorm View Post
It is - Battler from anime looks like stupid crybaby, that would give him a least some of his badassness from novel.

By the way - do you also think that Battler dissapearing in swarm of butterflies looks completely out of place? In novel he always walked, or he just was here, its somehow part of his magic denying character - making him to use butterflies is butchering its character in my opinion.
I feel the same way about any character who isn't Beatrice or one of her furniture.
Meaning, I thought the same when Lambda appeared as well. Golden butterflies are Beato's motif, and I thought they were only her motif.
So yeah, I felt that was a little off when Battler appeared too.

Old 2009-09-10, 18:03   Link #208
June 1983

Battler has disappeared/appeared with butterflies in the game, though I don't think he did that in that scene. I'm not sure how else he would appear though -- maybe he should have just walked in through the door? My opinion in, the meta world is sort of Beato's realm -- therefore, the appearance or disappearance of people in her world is connected to her magic, even if it's not something she's actively doing. Hence, the butterflies.
Old 2009-09-10, 18:05   Link #209
Saerianne
*cackle*

I quite enjoyed this episode, good quotes from the game, rosa musou, graveofthedead and epic Beato.
I'd have to agree with the Battler disappearing in butterflies thing. It's a tad out of place, bit it's not actually bothering me too much, which is surprising.
Old 2009-09-10, 18:26   Link #210
kiryogi

Big question for me now that we're moving onto episode 3. Is it still going to be a 13 ep series or would it be 26? Be pretty silly to end ep3 with only 2 eps but it was said or assumed Umineko was only going to be 13.
Old 2009-09-10, 18:28   Link #211
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Hasn't Meta-Battler been appearing and disappearing via golden butterflies the entire arc?

13 DVDs...two episodes each...26 episodes.
Old 2009-09-10, 18:32   Link #212
MarthX

I'm surprised we haven't gotten the episode titles for the four next episodes. The newest issue of NewType should have been out by now.
Old 2009-09-10, 18:35   Link #213
luckyssol

Quote:
Battler has disappeared/appeared with butterflies in the game, though I don't think he did that in that scene. I'm not sure how else he would appear though -- maybe he should have just walked in through the door? My opinion in, the meta world is sort of Beato's realm -- therefore, the appearance or disappearance of people in her world is connected to her magic, even if it's not something she's actively doing. Hence, the butterflies.
I always thought of that scene as Battler kicking open the door and then doing the finger point. Would have had more impact.

I hope they do something like that at least once.
Old 2009-09-10, 18:38   Link #214
Bureiku

did anyone notice that the letter had the wrong magic circle
Old 2009-09-10, 18:46   Link #215
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Was it wrong, or was the culprit sloppy. This entire murder by the numbers has been very sloppy in Episode II. Killed out of order, staked at a later time. Placed in different locations from where they were murdered. Possibly missing the third twilight? Very sloppy.
Old 2009-09-10, 19:00   Link #216
IfritTower
Just furniture

It was the Anime that was wrong, the VN had the same magic circle as the letter that made Natushi throw all the servants out of the study back in Episode 1.
Old 2009-09-10, 19:02   Link #217
luckyssol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureiku View Post
did anyone notice that the letter had the wrong magic circle
Here is the circle from episode II-VI:

I think it was supposed to be this one from episode I-IV:

The first one is about breaking bonds and the second one is about seperation I think.
Old 2009-09-10, 19:17   Link #218
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Ahh my mistake then, I guess I just don't remember.

Old 2009-09-10, 19:37   Link #219
The Visored
No.1 Objectioner

Well the episode was very good, but Rosa Musou needed to be longer.
I give it a 9.
Old 2009-09-10, 20:48   Link #220
Change of Pace
Shameless Zoro Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
And now to await in excitement for the 3rd arc, my personal favorite. I'm sure some anime-only viewers in the future will agree with me as well <333
Same here. Hopefully the adaption won't be as lacking as it's been at other times.
Closed Thread