AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Death Note

Notices

View Poll Results: Who Has the Upper hand?
Light (Kira) 130 47.10%
L 81 29.35%
Equal ground 65 23.55%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-28, 17:07   Link #61
Rich
AnimeSuki's Hentai-sama

Send a message via ICQ to Rich Send a message via MSN to Rich
To me i think Light has the upper hand because from watching the episodes so far Light is basically playing with L since L was introduced. As we all can see, when L comes up with an idea, Light counters it. Such as when L put 64 cameras in Light's room, Light could still kill people (but not effectively). Not to mention Light has made the police department fear him and refuse to work with L and that also plays a big factor in who has the upper hand.
Old 2006-12-03, 00:37   Link #62
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

At the beginning of the series, Light had incredible advantage since he has the book, the death god and he's in the dark. As the series moves along, Light's level of advantage is shrinking due to his mistakes and L's amazing wits. I have to say L was gaining on the advantage little by little using his own brain. And at ep 9, I think L finally gains equal ground. L sure is good.
Old 2006-12-03, 20:09   Link #63
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Light will ALWAYS have the upper hand as long as he holds the Death Note.

Because Light holds the Death Note, he controls what will happen. L is only able to predict--he cannot be certain. Light will ALWAYS be certain of what happens. In this way, whatever L choose to do will always be a reaction to what Light does.
Old 2006-12-05, 01:54   Link #64
superr

Man Light could have been caught so easily. I'm only on episode 4 and I can think up of many ways Light could have been caught already. Since the cops + L knew from ep 3 that there was a possibility that he was a student and that he has police access, they could have restricted access to the police archives for random police personalle. They could choose say 20 people at a time to be restricted for a period of a week (no person is restricted twice) and then narrow the possibilities down. Also, Light seems to be a internet noob. Can't the police just track down what people are searching on the internet? Light has got to have a way of finding out people to kill and all the cops would need to do is observe the webpages people are browsing (specifically in the Kanto area) and how frequently they browse these webpages. Since Light prob gets the info on who to kill, the cops can track his IP and he would be highly suspect since his dad = cop and there is also a student which = him in the household. The govt could have also messed around with the media and choose to censor our some key information (ie: no pictures).
Old 2006-12-05, 07:51   Link #65
XeNoGeaR
AnimeJunkie

Send a message via MSN to XeNoGeaR
LOL....thats not true i think
Old 2006-12-16, 12:25   Link #66
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by superr View Post
Man Light could have been caught so easily. I'm only on episode 4 and I can think up of many ways Light could have been caught already. Since the cops + L knew from ep 3 that there was a possibility that he was a student and that he has police access, they could have restricted access to the police archives for random police personalle. They could choose say 20 people at a time to be restricted for a period of a week (no person is restricted twice) and then narrow the possibilities down. Also, Light seems to be a internet noob. Can't the police just track down what people are searching on the internet? Light has got to have a way of finding out people to kill and all the cops would need to do is observe the webpages people are browsing (specifically in the Kanto area) and how frequently they browse these webpages. Since Light prob gets the info on who to kill, the cops can track his IP and he would be highly suspect since his dad = cop and there is also a student which = him in the household. The govt could have also messed around with the media and choose to censor our some key information (ie: no pictures).
Erm.. you should watch on first.

Anyways.. on-topic; I'd say equal ground. I'm not putting my views into this, because I really don't know who has the upper hand. What I know for sure is, regardless of who wins in the end, NOW, they are equals. Light cannot kill L and L cannot figure out who is Kira. It doesn't matter if Misa is here because.. since she doesn't abide Light's rules of justice, I think Light is surely gonna use her to the most, but only to an extent.

Anyways.. they're just thoughts.
Old 2006-12-17, 12:18   Link #67
Darklightz
Wagering his life...

As of episode 11,I"d say Light definitely has the upper hand.Not only L is losing focus on him because of the TV station incident,but with a new Death Note owner in the picture,it's more pressure for L,while Light can just sit back and laugh.
Old 2006-12-19, 08:07   Link #68
nine_tailed_kyuubi

For now and after seeing episode 11 we can see that L has the upper hand even though a new stronger kira appeared . I believe that L will also has some kind of a hidden power like light's otherwise if L keeps having the upper hand and comes close 99% to capture Light, Light will have no choice than making that eye deal with Ryuuk and he will know L's real name and kill him so there will be no point of L in the series without him having strong power as well. It's just a guess, maybe i'm wrong
Old 2006-12-21, 02:58   Link #69
DAmer
Hokage

Now that the new Kira showed up, I think its going to become harder for L to prove that Light is the one doing all the killing. The worse that can happen is that the new Kira gets caught. All Light has to do then is destroy his own death note or hide it somewhere extremely safe. Since there wont be any way to prove that Light committed crimes without the death note, all the blame is gonna go over the new Kira. Even if the new Kira doesnt get caught like darklightz said Light can just sit back and laugh. Also he can murder more people over the time and blame it onto the new kira. So i guess light has the upper hand.
Old 2006-12-25, 15:51   Link #70
willem113
I wanna go peeping ^^

Send a message via MSN to willem113
Kira has just a slight adventage over L.

because there is nothing linking him to the murders.
And he has Ryuk helping him out once in a while.
Old 2007-01-07, 10:29   Link #71
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Because Light holds the Death Note, he controls what will happen. L is only able to predict--he cannot be certain. Light will ALWAYS be certain of what happens. In this way, whatever L choose to do will always be a reaction to what Light does.
I disagree with that. He sure wasn't certain that killing Lind. L Tailor would've resulted in narrowing down the case against Kira. He's certain of things regarding the murders, yeah, but it's not only L who reacts to Light, there are things L has done to which Light has reacted (wrongly) to.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2007-01-09, 19:21   Link #72
Shikimori Kazuki
Angeloid Type β - Nymph

I would say equal grounds. Even with the appearance of the new Kira, it would possibly be a threat to Light, since the fake kira can leak information without thinking twice as seen in ep.12. Furthermore, the fake kira is not the same as Light, just a fan of him, so it is a double sided sword if you ask me. It can either destroy you or aid you in many ways, just depends on how you would use it.

Many would say L has a disadvantage but you have to give him props for thinking the right way all the time. His analyzes and prediction on the situation leads to the right way but he is not sure. However, when he thinks of the ideas that might be possible to the murders, he will attempt to pursue it to the end until he is satisfy with the answer that he obtained.
Old 2007-01-12, 07:12   Link #73
atilim
Knightmare

I would say Light, because now mater how you look L hasn't even come close in oder to discover Kira. Every time he has a idea Light comes with the perfect way to counter his theories and in doing so he is winning. The only thing that can help L to win is to discover second Kira and to take advantage.
Old 2007-01-31, 18:16   Link #74
mycen

I have followed this series to episode 14 and I would have to say L has the upper hand. He has been zeroed into the character and possible location of kira early on and has since been forcing Light to react to L's actions other than the other way round.
Old 2007-02-01, 12:49   Link #75
Moon Eclipse

Anyway you look at it Light has the upper hand because at any time he can still kill L.
He has a book that can control others moments before they die. So... Control one of the other cops whose name he knows, barge them in. Shoot L to death and throw them off the belcony. Have yourself get shot in the process so you don't attract attention. If you're a victim too, no one will ever suspect you.
Old 2007-02-01, 12:55   Link #76
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Eclipse View Post
Anyway you look at it Light has the upper hand because at any time he can still kill L.
He has a book that can control others moments before they die. So... Control one of the other cops whose name he knows, barge them in. Shoot L to death and throw them off the belcony. Have yourself get shot in the process so you don't attract attention. If you're a victim too, no one will ever suspect you.
err, this isn't possible because :
Spoiler:

Last edited by Klashikari; 2007-02-01 at 13:10.
Old 2007-02-01, 14:18   Link #77
Moon Eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
err, this isn't possible because :
Spoiler:
It's hard to understand what you're trying to write. Possibly because I'm tired, but do you mean to say:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-01, 15:03   Link #78
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Eclipse View Post
It's hard to understand what you're trying to write. Possibly because I'm tired, but do you mean to say:

Spoiler:
roughly : yes.
i'm aware, this kind of thesis was pretty solid, the explanation was, unfortunately, explained much later in the manga. (i don't think it was such huge spoiler but meh...)
IIRC, it was never really explained how Light found about this rule (if any DN manga reader can answer this, please do so.)

the correct rule is :
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-01, 15:47   Link #79
Theowne
耳をすませば

At this point (I'm at ep 16), I think the main reason why Light has the upper hand is because he is aware of the Shinigami and the Death Note, while L does not know how the killings are being performed. There are so many possible answers to that question, but the rules and workings of the Death Note are so specific that it leads to the kind of baffling events (from L's perspective) like in episode 16. I'm interested to see how L will get around this obstacle of not knowing the nature of how Kira works.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2007-02-05, 19:15   Link #80
Super Ska Master

L did have the upper hand until Light
Spoiler:
and you will all see soon after maybe 10 or so episodes.
Closed Thread