Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-05-20, 11:32   Link #261
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post

Ichina has a passport, presumably, since she did come through the airport. Eve needed a fake one to get to Japan because of her amnesia. She could reclaim her identity later and get her legit papers back, as she was born in Nafrece to the Burton family, who are also from the country.

It was Klein, Lily, and especially the three kids who were illegal immigrants before, but they all have IDs now.
My question is whether she has a visa to stay there just to help Eve go pro.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-26, 14:50   Link #262
kuroyanagi

So... In a world where golf aptitude and technique can apparently be passed down from parent to child, two guys set out to make the ultimate golf kid who will combine both of their golfing styles?

The queer reading basically writes itself.
Old 2023-05-26, 18:16   Link #263
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I hope Eve's new shot wrecking her arm is a temporary side-effect from overworking herself/not being used to it yet and not something that will actually stick. Otherwise, we might be looking at an ending where Aoi and Eve die playing golf against each other.

I'm glad they didn't have Aoi confirming her dad is Amuro off-screen. I'm not sure why Amuro and Seira can't be together again but Aoi gave the club president her blessing to fuck her father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroyanagi View Post
So... In a world where golf aptitude and technique can apparently be passed down from parent to child, two guys set out to make the ultimate golf kid who will combine both of their golfing styles?

The queer reading basically writes itself.
I can't believe Char cheated on Amuro like that.
Old 2023-05-26, 18:41   Link #264
azarhal

Amuro told Aoi he was her dad. Tears and a hug followed.

Eve's golf course is a nightmare to play in. Way too many traps and hazards. So she just decide to change what type of golfer she is...during a competition. This was a very shounen-esque episode.

Looks like the Aoi and Eve won't meet again until a year later, since Aoi is suck in Japan until the British open. Timeskip incoming?
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-26, 20:17   Link #265
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Eve's golf course is a nightmare to play in. Way too many traps and hazards. So she just decide to change what type of golfer she is...during a competition. This was a very shounen-esque episode.
You're surprised by this now?

I didn't expect to see Ace Combat playing Happy Gilmore style in 2023 but here we are. I'd imagine Eve just overworked herself but maybe there is some flaw in her shot. Vipere left though so she obviously won this round.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-26, 20:32   Link #266
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
You're surprised by this now?
Not surprised by it, just saying that it was a power up episode.
Old 2023-05-29, 06:29   Link #267
Ghostfriendly

As shoujo-ai this series has nothing on Magical Revolution; old-fashioned shonen rivalry doesn't compare to a cooperative relationship which can be readily combined with rivalry and conflict. As a story about golf, as it purports to be, it has nothing on P.G. Wodehouse whatsoever, and making a serious drama about mafia and undocumented immigrants from such an old-time shonen rivals sports drama would be laughable. Aoi is a cute ojou but Eve's fluffy and fleshy blonde design, with fashionably ripped clothes, doesn't really present a tough street hustler. The ingredients of a decent, fun series are still there, provided that the mafia theme doesn't become inappropriately serious, or an offensively stupid subplot about genetic determinism doesn't hook the ball irrecoverably off course.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2023-06-10 at 18:38.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-29, 13:03   Link #268
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
or an offensively stupid subplot about genetic determinism doesn't hook the ball irrecoverably off course.
Aren't we kind of there already? The genetic-determined golf skills are taking over the show, to be honest. Specially Eve who only did minimal training with her real father but somehow can recreate all his techniques.
Old 2023-05-29, 19:24   Link #269
ryllharu

Like Keijo (or Happy!), the appeal is a deeply stupid premise to a sports series that takes itself very seriously internally. That divergence in internal and external tone makes consistently entertaining series, which is all it is really asking from its audience.

Its foundations are in real techniques and skills, exaggerated to the extreme to be narrative devices.

The Happy Gilmore running swing is real and does actually add yards to a golfer's swing, so Aisha's Cannon Shot has threads of reality to it. It's just so risky when you miss that it isn't worth it.

As for the genetic-golf swings, I think that's intentionally oversold. Aoi's grandfather is the one obsessed with Golf Eugenics, and he's very plainly a villain of the series. He's also been proved fundamentally wrong about his theory of Golf Eugenics, because Aoi is the daughter of the "inferior" Japanese golfer and his own daughter who never lived up to the potential he thought she would.

The epic swings are advertised as training and attitude more than anything else:
  • Kazuhiko's rainbow shots are simply utter confidence in one's own ability. The bullets/cannon are trained. Eve reacquired her father's techniques because she remembered being trained at them. Kazuhiko's goal was to have his daughter trained by who he thought was one of the best golfers in the world, in the hope that their techniques could be merged by someone young and trainable in both. Eve's new shot is her own explosive confidence combined with her innate fury. Literally just the two swing philosophies merged.

• Aoi's shot is a carefree attitude where enjoying playing is of the foremost importance. She wasn't genetically keyed into using her father's swing. She remembered who her childhood teacher was incorrectly. She convinced herself it was Kazuhiko's swing and tried to emulate it but couldn't, because it wasn't the techniques she was originally trained to play with. She wanted to follow Amuro's swing the entire time, and she was taught by both. Aoi's new shot is a zen-like peace of what feels natural to her.

It also got tossed to the side as the series dashed away from it, but Kazuhiko's Golf was also something that Himekawa Mizuho claimed to be the "heir" to, because he also encouraged her once.

It's not genetic, even remotely.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-29, 23:47   Link #270
Kazu-kun

If genetics didn't play a (big) part then anyone training on the styles of Kazuhiko and Amuro could emulate their shots, but only their offspring can do it.

Also, Amuro is not inferior to Kazuhiko. Amuro was actually winning the tournament and was gonna defeat Kazuhiko but had to forfeit due to his disease. I'm sure the reason he couldn't defeat Leon is related to his disease as well.
Old 2023-05-30, 03:13   Link #271
ryllharu

Himekawa Mizuho absolutely does emulate Kazuhiko's style, Eve is simply better because she knows Leon's style too. Go back and watch the high school golf tournament. Don't ignore direct evidence because it doesn't support your hypothesis.

The only characters talking golf genetics with any level of seriousness is Aoi's dumb grandfather. Otherwise it is marketing, promotion, or used to coerce someone to supply a sponsorship.

Leon doesn't support it, he presumably found Aisha randomly. He taught Eve because he was asked to.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-05-30, 10:22   Link #272
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
Himekawa Mizuho absolutely does emulate Kazuhiko's style
She can't do the rainbow shot but Eve can, and that has nothing to do with Leo training Eve, since the rainbow is Kazuhiko's own style. It's genetics whether you like it or not.
Old 2023-06-02, 14:45   Link #273
azarhal

Harvey has a lots of skills. Top underground golfer, butler and acupuncture.

So Eve went a bit too crazy with her golfing that she's pretty much injured everywhere now. So on the last day she went "easy"...except for the last hole, she broke her driver and then went Over the Rainbow...

I'm kinda surprised that Viper is still around since a few episode back she basically said it was the last time we would see her.
Old 2023-06-02, 18:39   Link #274
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Looks like Eve and Aoi are going to be fine. Training episode next week so they can overcome their weaknesses, though I'm not sure how that's supposed to work with Aoi. Maybe she'll have to undergo an operation?
Old 2023-06-02, 22:39   Link #275
scififan

"EXPLOSION!!" Char's chūnibyō influences Eve. Aoi doesn't have to call out shounen manga killer move before she hits a golf ball. The life was probably not easy for Char, showed by scars on his face.

Eve's killer move is damaging her body. She over extends herself but she manages to survive the game. Her previous opponent(Amuro's former discipline) was not that lucky. The opponent used too many her killer move(IN THE ZONE), and she was unable to stay strong during the game. It is probably Eve has nature born physique to stay strong, especially Eve's partner gives her high praise about her built.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-09, 14:06   Link #276
azarhal

Kids do not play golf, you might wreck your body or get brain tumors.

This show is ending on a big tragedy next episode isn't?
Old 2023-06-09, 18:21   Link #277
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Kids do not play golf, you might wreck your body or get brain tumors.

This show is ending on a big tragedy next episode isn't?
No. It will end in tragedy in two episodes.

It looks like they want us to think Eve's training has enabled her to use Burst without side-effects but the fact they didn't show her playing at all is suspect.

Aoi, on the other hand, is definitely done for. I really thought she was going to get magically cured, through some experimental treatment that only works if you're diagnosed early or something.

I loved the ridiculousness of Amane traveling all the way to Nafrece just to have a two minutes talk with Eve. Although Aoi mentioned she was gone for several days so she might have gone sight-seeing while she was at it. At this point I'm definitely liking Aoi x Amane better than Aoi x Eve. Amane has grow on me a lot over the course of this season.
Old 2023-06-09, 20:12   Link #278
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
No. It will end in tragedy in two episodes.

It looks like they want us to think Eve's training has enabled her to use Burst without side-effects but the fact they didn't show her playing at all is suspect.

Aoi, on the other hand, is definitely done for. I really thought she was going to get magically cured, through some experimental treatment that only works if you're diagnosed early or something.

I loved the ridiculousness of Amane traveling all the way to Nafrece just to have a two minutes talk with Eve. Although Aoi mentioned she was gone for several days so she might have gone sight-seeing while she was at it. At this point I'm definitely liking Aoi x Amane better than Aoi x Eve. Amane has grow on me a lot over the course of this season.
You are right, I thought this was episode 11 when I wrote it, but I didn't fix the post after seeing it was 10. Me lazy.

You have to wonder what Amane did in that one-month trip, she didn't just have a 2 minutes talk half-way across the world to setup a golf match at the British Open.

And I agree, Aoi x Amane is better than Aoi x Eve, I was actually think they were setting both to just end-up with their caddy after viewing this episode (and not fully in a romantic way either, more like babysitting).
Old 2023-06-10, 19:10   Link #279
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Aren't we kind of there already? The genetic-determined golf skills are taking over the show, to be honest. Specially Eve who only did minimal training with her real father but somehow can recreate all his techniques.
I hadn't got to that point yet, and indeed I didn't manage to get any further than ep 1-5, some episode summaries, and a look ahead at ep16 to confirm this is as bad as I suspected. The implicit proposition that facile relationships of ridiculous people matter more than the abuse and injustice which are exploited for cheap drama is unwatchability in a nutshell. The animation is soulless as well, with garish colours and bland designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
I'm only just now digesting how much this has in common with Madlax.
Doesn't deserve to share a sentence; the animation, music, characters, and plot are closer to Rio: Rainbow Gate than Madlax if you remember the former.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-06-10, 19:39   Link #280
Alchemist007
*Author

I was talking about the direct references made to names and places from Madlax (Nafrece, Burtons). Style wish I agree with you as Madlax is a different kind of show. I hadn't thought of Rio, I think that was a leg sillier than Birdie even.

Tags
golf, sports