AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-04, 09:38   Link #61
magnuskn

<sigh> It's not Space AIDS.
Old 2010-10-04, 09:40   Link #62
justavisitor

I thought you would figure it out that it was a joke...

Anyway, please continue
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 09:40   Link #63
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Heh, that, too. One would hope Hikaru is a bit deeper than that.

<looks for someone to storm in and dispute that Misa and Hikaru did it in DYRL>
<Waits for someone else to storm in and dispute that Minmay and Hikaru did it in the TV series. >
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 09:47   Link #64
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
<Waits for someone else to storm in and dispute that Minmay and Hikaru did it in the TV series. >
That was in the christmas episode, right? Hm... it seems quite ambiguous.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:05   Link #65
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
That was in the christmas episode, right? Hm... it seems quite ambiguous.
Let me give you some copies of my 23-volume Macross Christmas Eve Ero-Special doujinshi...it'll make a believer out of you!
Old 2010-10-04, 10:15   Link #66
magnuskn

I'd rather not know what ero-doujinshi would make out of that. The Japanese have some nasty fetishes.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:21   Link #67
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I'd rather not know what ero-doujinshi would make out of that. The Japanese have some nasty fetishes.
No, no, it's MY doujinshi! As in, "I wrote and drew it!" It's WAY better than the Robotech Swimsuit Specials!
Old 2010-10-04, 10:25   Link #68
magnuskn

Having seen you drawings before, I disavow any knowledge I may have gathered in the last half hour.
Old 2010-10-04, 10:32   Link #69
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Having seen you drawings before, I disavow any knowledge I may have gathered in the last half hour.

It's Mikimoto-esque!
Old 2010-10-04, 10:38   Link #70
magnuskn

Yeah. Kinda sorta.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:02   Link #71
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Yep. Another argument against a re-make. With the way anime shows are going nowadays, he'd probably end up in a polygamic triangle like Justavisitor is always going on about.
That did bother me in Frontier, that neither was chosen.

I do think that Hikaru made the right choice. You of course feel bad for Minmay, but what happened, happened. It's a good thing they didn't show Minmay thinking of Hikaru as she taught the Zentradi, it would have hurt even more. And it did hurt. I felt bad for her.

Quote:
Sure, that's a reason. But it's also a stunningly beautiful and well-animated movie in its own right. To condemn it as wholly mercenary is to ignore all of the serious effort and love that went into making it.
Yeah, that's why I said that part makes me think, but the other effort put in dissolves that thought. The animation was superb for it's time, from the action to the landscapes.

Quote:
Pretty much (except for that whole, "I'll let everyone die rather than sing that song that THAT WOMAN found!" bit. That was a spectacularly dumb moment for Minmay).
It may have been dumb, but you can see why she said that. She was upset. Her heart was broken. The man who gave her hope as she was held captive was taken away by another woman. Think about it.

Quote:
You mean APART from the fact that Misa "put out" when they were on earth...?
Yeah, I picked up on her putting on her coat as they walked out. Always funny when they hint it like that.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:34   Link #72
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Also, it redeemed Minmay somewhat in the eyes of the audience.
Agreed. I didn't like her in either Robotech, or Macross until DYRL came out.
Old 2010-10-04, 11:39   Link #73
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
The animation was superb for it's time, from the action to the landscapes.
Not just for its time...it STILL blows anything non-Miyazaki out of the water.

As someone else once said, "DYRL is more beautiful than sunsets and childbirth."
Old 2010-10-04, 11:51   Link #74
moncikoma

Quote:

As someone else once said, "DYRL is more beautiful than sunsets and childbirth."
i hope next year..or even 20 years from now...someone will said
"SNT" is more beautiful than sunsets and childbirth."
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-04, 16:25   Link #75
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
This is so damn true. The first 10 minutes of the film alone leave me completely speechless, each and everytime i watch it.
Old 2010-10-09, 12:35   Link #76
Kikuchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
This is so damn true. The first 10 minutes of the film alone leave me completely speechless, each and everytime i watch it.
Yup.

A year ago or so, I wanted to show the beginning to two friends, one of which kinda remembered Robotech from back in the day, but neither of them anime fan. While they didn't say anything like "**** it's incredible", they kept me from stopping the movie and we ended up watching it till the end
Kikuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-09, 18:04   Link #77
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikuchi View Post
A year ago or so, I wanted to show the beginning to two friends, one of which kinda remembered Robotech from back in the day, but neither of them anime fan. While they didn't say anything like "**** it's incredible", they kept me from stopping the movie and we ended up watching it till the end
Just read that made me so happy. :3

& with that said, i think i'll rewatch DYRL tomorrow. I'm due for a rewatch.
Old 2011-01-20, 07:13   Link #78
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I just watched Do You Remember Love, only about 2 weeks after finishing the original SDF Macross TV series.

Spoiler for minor spoilers:
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 11:58   Link #79
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
It's just personal, but I wasn't fond of how male and female Zentradi were at war with each other rather than simply segregated allies. I also thought they made some of the Zentradis' character designs overly alien and ugly. I don't mind this for fictional aliens, but Zentradi are essentially human so it's actually preferable for them to look a lot like us. And holy cow, Exedol! The poor guy got a head tumor.
DYRL is supposed to be, according to its creators, a movie within a TV series. Therefore, we are supposed to accept certain elements of DYRL as artistic liberty. Thus while Zentrans and Meltrans are segregated, they are by no means hostile to one another (thank goodness).

Although it should be noted that several elements of DYRL have since been retconned to the broader Macross universe. For example, Exedol looks the way he does because he is supposed to be a Data Zentradi, while Breetai is all-muscle because and capable of resisting against the effects of space vaccum because he is a Commander Zentradi. Of course, the female versions of these types of Zentradi remains to be seen (and hopefully never seen). Not to mention they now have elven ears...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-20, 21:33   Link #80
Pterobat
Folmophile

I don't like any of the redesigns for DYRL. The male ones are hideous and the females are boring; the TV series designs had so much more character and life, especially Exsedol. I don't think they're justified by making the Zentradi look more suitable to their functions, either. TV seires Britai was already pretty powerful in appearance, and you don't absolutely need your character to have a huge brain just because they're associated with "genius" traits.

And we have seen a female Zentradi advisor: in "Fleet of the Strongest Women", who had a perfectly normal head; just another of the fun double standards in DYRL's character design.

The gender war, while it might have streamlined the story, was also kind of stupid.

Honestly, the Zentradi are my favourite thing about Macross, and when they are altered in this manner, it spoils the rest of the film for me. DYRL is gorgeously animated, but I don't like it very much.
Pterobat is offline   Reply With Quote