AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-24, 21:45   Link #1
Tri-ring

Swine flu - now an official pandemic

Deadly new flu strain erupts in Mexico, U.S.

I am not trying to stir hysteria in anyway but this news should be followed closely.
The article writes "Most of the dead were aged between 25 and 45".

Usual hygienic protocols highly advised, wash you hand with SOAP and gargle.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 21:58   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

I believe that this might get much more serious within the next few weeks.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 22:10   Link #3
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

So far the situation is under control, they suspended schools and works today as a preventive resource but I think that you're exagerating a bit calling it pandemia Tri-ring, I repeat, so far the situation is under control, the medic authorities in Mexico are acting very well in terms of security, it was anounced that the situation will be under observation for the next 10 days, after that, if there are no more cases and the cases identified so far are under a positive state, the situation will return to normality.

How do I know? I live in Mexico
Old 2009-04-24, 22:14   Link #4
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

My sister is currently traveling not so far from the happenings. We gave her a call this morning and told her to be careful and return as soon as her jobs allows her to. >_<
Old 2009-04-24, 22:15   Link #5
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
So far the situation is under control, they suspended schools and works today as a preventive resource but I think that you're exagerating a bit calling it pandemia Tri-ring, I repeat, so far the situation is under control, the medic authorities in Mexico are acting very well in terms of security, it was anounced that the situation will be under observation for the next 10 days, after that, if there are no more cases and the cases identified so far are under a positive state, the situation will return to normality.

I do believe that authorities of Mexico had done every precaution to contain the problem but as Besser of CDC states, "It was probably too late to contain the outbreak. There are things that we see that suggest that containment is not very likely," he said. Once it has spread beyond a limited geographical area it would be difficult to control.
It already found itself in multiple location in the US and it is possible that more cases will be found in and around Mexico as well.
Old 2009-04-24, 23:19   Link #6
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
I do believe that authorities of Mexico had done every precaution to contain the problem but as Besser of CDC states, "It was probably too late to contain the outbreak. There are things that we see that suggest that containment is not very likely," he said. Once it has spread beyond a limited geographical area it would be difficult to control.
It already found itself in multiple location in the US and it is possible that more cases will be found in and around Mexico as well.
"To late"?

1100 cases so far, 64 deseases, (mostly adults of the third age who're more bulnerable to these kind of infections), only at the City of Mexico and Federal District (D.F.) Do you know at least the number of poblation at the city of Mexico? 8,7 millions, we're speaking of less than a 5% of cases. Only 9 cases detected in the city of Oaxaca. You take conclutions.
Old 2009-04-24, 23:38   Link #7
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
"To late"?

1100 cases so far, 64 deseases, (mostly adults of the third age who're more bulnerable to these kind of infections), only at the City of Mexico and Federal District (D.F.) Do you know at least the number of poblation at the city of Mexico? 8,7 millions, we're speaking of less than a 5% of cases. Only 9 cases detected in the city of Oaxaca. You take conclutions.
You have to remember there's an incubation period in which the infected person is not showing symptoms. All it takes is one of those infected but not yet symptomatic to board a flight to another major international airport, and the infection is out of control and potentially global. Though in this case it may well have been stopped in time. We'll know one way or another in a few days.
Old 2009-04-25, 00:20   Link #8
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

The virus has been identified, its a porcine swine flue coming from an Eurasian country (probably), it's a new virus, nothing that has been evolved as it was though.

The actions: The medical authorities had determinated that it's not a crisis but it's a delicated situation that must be contained, so far, the situation is under control, in comparation to the previous days, the number of cases has decreased in a conciderable number, in order to prevent any more cases, it's being conciderated to suspend scholls, works and events for the next week, just as a prevention.
Old 2009-04-25, 03:44   Link #9
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

This is really dangerous. People should really try their best to take care of themselves. Hopefully the medical authorities will work out a very efficient solution to help cure the infected and prevent contamination to anybody else.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 09:05   Link #10
Tri-ring

Quote:
The virus has been identified, its a porcine swine flue coming from an Eurasian country (probably), it's a new virus, nothing that has been evolved as it was though.
Please refrain from speculating other nations and or region since it is meaningless.
We have not heard of another out break from another country in the Eurasian region.
The infection route is most probably migrating birds with Avian flu from the north came in close contact with a pig farm where the virus mutated and jumped species to pigs then further mutated becoming contagious to human.
Old 2009-04-25, 10:52   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is also the beginning of the migrant worker season (legal or not). With tens of thousands of people moving northward this spring -- many could be carriers and not realize it. Also since they tend to wait til they're really freaking sick to hit the ER (no health insurance) -- the potential for pandemic is not insignificant.

And yeah, it seems to be killing young healthy adults (20ish-40ish). So basically do all the damn things you should be doing anyway, duh. (wash your hands frequently, throw tissues away, don't stick your fingers in your eyes, mouth, nose ... duh)

Mexico City is basically shut down, people are wearing the face masks, etc.

Monitor the CDC.GOV website for updates that aren't "stupidified by the corporate news media frenzy".

Maybe this will spark "face mask fashion" like in Asia ...

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-04-25 at 11:12.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 11:00   Link #12
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Actually we should all be glad that this doesn't turn people into zombies lusting for human flesh and blood, nor is it as bad as the Ebola that happened in the previous century.

With respect to this pandemic, it makes the H5N1 look so......harmless.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 11:24   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The worldwide flu epidemic of 1918 killed at least 50 million people across the world.
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

It was noteworthy for killing healthy people (usually flu only takes down the young, sickly, and the old).

Ebola is too violent to its host to spread easily. Influenza is more subtle and usually people die from exhaustion, dehydration, pneumonia, and secondary infections. By the time they realize they're in serious trouble, they've handed it to dozens of others.
Old 2009-04-25, 11:27   Link #14
Zippicus

Quote:
Please refrain from speculating other nations and or region since it is meaningless.
We have not heard of another out break from another country in the Eurasian region.
The infection route is most probably migrating birds with Avian flu from the north came in close contact with a pig farm where the virus mutated and jumped species to pigs then further mutated becoming contagious to human.
Heh, you just scolded him for speculating, then you went and speculated

As far as this current crisis goes, every few years some strain of some virus kills a few people and everyone panics thanks to the media going bonkers. I'm pretty sure we'll survive this time.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 11:35   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The WHO director is saying it has the *potential* to be a pandemic as it is covering so many of the attributes for success. It is also *unusual* because of the avian/swine/human jump and that several of the cases did not involve exposure to pigs (swine flue).

So yeah... no reason to jump out the window but no reason to ignore it either.
Old 2009-04-25, 11:44   Link #16
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The WHO director is saying it has the *potential* to be a pandemic as it is covering so many of the attributes for success. It is also *unusual* because of the avian/swine/human jump and that several of the cases did not involve exposure to pigs (swine flue).

Yeah don't mind me I'm still having flashbacks from the SARS media saturation bombing frenzy, thankfully this is nowhere near that level
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 12:47   Link #17
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'm not especualting, I'm just repeating what I saw on the news and read on the newspapers. You want me to show you the sources and the stadistics? The one especualting here is other >.>...

Now, returning to the theme, it was identified that the lethal part of this virus is that it attacks the lungs and provoque pneumonia, all the deseases had been because of this, if the virus is detected on time, it can be controled easely and healed.

Symptoms:

Strong Headache.
Muscular Pains.
Strong Irritation in the windpipe.
Constans fever over the 38 C°- 42 C°

Preventions anounced.

Avoid contac with sick people.
Take more Vitamin C.
Avoid places with much people and few ventilation.
Take more concideration on the hygiene, people with low defenses are more vulnerable to the infection.

And I'm basing myself in the t.v. news and newspapers.
Old 2009-04-25, 13:10   Link #18
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:

Good to hear that it's already under control.

Based on the description of what's happening, I suddenly remembered the movie about the Ebola virus (nice to watch but scary in reality). Hopefully a vaccine can be made as quickly as possible before the virus spreads to more countries.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-04-25 at 19:58.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-25, 18:34   Link #19
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Maybe this will spark "face mask fashion" like in Asia ...
In my country, they would dare

Quote:
The worldwide flu epidemic of 1918 killed at least 50 million people across the world.
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/influenza-epidemic/

It was noteworthy for killing healthy people (usually flu only takes down the young, sickly, and the old).

Ebola is too violent to its host to spread easily. Influenza is more subtle and usually people die from exhaustion, dehydration, pneumonia, and secondary infections. By the time they realize they're in serious trouble, they've handed it to dozens of others.
True but back there in 1918 the preventions and medicine were not advanced, although it is true that it killed more people than the World War 1. But conciderate that it wasn't controled mostly beacsue of the state of the cities.

Quote:

Actually I'm thankfull that they worried about the matter, it is a new virus, they have reason to be worried and because of that is that they're taking the correct actions to contain it

Finally, it seems that the politic in my country is doing the correct thing
Old 2009-04-25, 19:02   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

It appears to have reached as far as New Jersey
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/wo...u.html?_r=1&hp
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote