AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-30, 19:12   Link #1
FireChick

Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's

I hear there's a new series of Yu-Gi-Oh coming out called Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's being made next month. I haven't watched the series in a long time and I might look forward too this. Just one problem (for most people): 4Kids already got their hands on it and are planning on putting it on TV this fall. I'd like the english version but I wanna try out the Japanese version. Does anyone wanna see the new Yu-Gi-Oh series? Talk about it here! I sound like a weirdo. I wanna hear the Japanese voices though. Hehe.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 19:37   Link #2
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
I actually play Yu-Gi-Oh (the Trading Card Game) competitively, so I'm almost required to watch it, especially since the new "Synchro" cards will change the rules of the game.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-30, 19:41   Link #3
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Now that's scary... I'm not the only one of the same case... ?

As far as I like the TCG, I'm fairly not expecting much from this third franchise of YGO, as... well, let's be frank, the concept didn't change one bit (protagonist/antagonist wise).

I didn't dare to watch GX, and discovering the end and all the stuff about Yubel comforted me that ever since Marik arc from the first "period" (or maybe it was already broken right after Pegasus's island arc?), the franchise go downhill with "cards are SERIOUS BUSINESS, you have the fate of the world with these!".
5D's seems more "mature" somehow, but the "duel while riding on bikes" don't give me any slight relief or so

As for the Synchro+psychic features... kinda early to judge, though Stardust Dragon seems kinda quite a beat stick. But tuners themselves aren't really gamebreaking or a fresh air for the metagame (especially the US/Eu one, plagued with DAD dark return).
Old 2008-04-01, 03:31   Link #4
LoStSouLs
LoSt

Send a message via AIM to LoStSouLs
I just feel sorry that it was licensed by 4kids again. Even though we know it would happen. Its just that for once i would like to see a yu-gi-oh series like its supposed to be intended. Not edited to hell and having a semi crappy dub. GX was a horrid horrid example of the dub. While the original yu-gi-o was the huge example of being edited to hell. I just hope that maybe they will learn and not try something like GX again, as that seriously turned me off. The original was quite good and fun to watch, but gx..... was just terrible >_>
LoStSouLs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 03:53   Link #5
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
As for the Synchro+psychic features... kinda early to judge, though Stardust Dragon seems kinda quite a beat stick. But tuners themselves aren't really gamebreaking or a fresh air for the metagame (especially the US/Eu one, plagued with DAD dark return).
Hey, man, I haven't seen GX in a while, but I don't think Dark Armed Dragon made an appearance there. Compared to the TCG lately? Bajeezus!

Speaking of which, you can't seem to win a single tournament without playing some sort of dark oriented deck. Look at Shonen Jump Columbus last weekend: every top contender is playing that darn Allure of Darkness in threes...

Anyway, Klash, what deck build do you usually run? I'm still using perfect circle - I'm hoping it can make a comeback with Caius' release.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 04:00   Link #6
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Hey, man, I haven't seen GX in a while, but I don't think Dark Armed Dragon made an appearance there. Compared to the TCG lately? Bajeezus!
No, definitely not.
PTDN was quite freestyle. They just introduced Yubel theme cards along with some odd balls (well, say Rainbow Neos).
Aside of it, they just went berserk with "dark" themes, a la IOC, though it is even worse.
Quote:
Speaking of which, you can't seem to win a single tournament without playing some sort of dark oriented deck. Look at Shonen Jump Columbus last weekend: every top contender is playing that darn Allure of Darkness in threes...
That's what happens when UDE do jackass with their so called TCG exclusive cards without releasing the OCG exclusive ones. We get a mangled and mutated metagame, which is kinda sad. There are many archtypes you can use in this metagame but without contest, DAD return is the best in term of stability and speed. It is closely followed with lame FTK Magical explosion and a tricky DAD DDT

I'm sure DAD wouldn't be that broken without all these engine cards, that's pretty much the reason why Konami didn't limited it in Japan, but on UDE "territory" it is just plain absurd.
Quote:
Anyway, Klash, what deck build do you usually run? I'm still using perfect circle - I'm hoping it can make a comeback with Caius' release.
I was running from 6 years a rush deck borderline BIG 40, mutated into a warrior toolbox. Ever since PTDN, I'm running a Gladiator Beast that I engeneered almost in the same time that the one who did the stunt at houston and it is quite competitive to the point I could get third place twice in regionnals over here (ruled by DAD samurai etc).

AKH, it is going to turn into a TCG thread... i think another thread or PM discussion would be less intrusive
Old 2008-04-01, 14:29   Link #7
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Argh.....it's not Yu-Gi-Oh without Yugi.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 14:32   Link #8
AuditionEX
Protect the Loli

It's licensed already?
AuditionEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 16:16   Link #9
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditionEX View Post
It's licensed already?
Unsurprisingly yes. 4kids is supposedly involved in the production of it or something too.

I'll watch a couple of episodes just to see how hilarious this is since it sounds so absurd. (And any fanservice episodes they may make like GX ep 34)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-01, 23:16   Link #10
_DaViD_
~(=ω=.)~

i havent watched yugioh since the original one and Nvis is right, its not Yu gi oh without YUGI xD!

and have u ever watched the abridged series?? when tristan arrives in a motocycle saying that duels in the future will be played on motorcycles and yugi says "thats the most stupid thing u have ever said" and then it shows a picture of yu gi oh 5D and i was like WTF.

i cant just imagine people dueling while riding a motocycle without crashing O_o
whats next? duels on bungee jumping? xD!
_DaViD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 15:58   Link #11
bayoab

That was unexpectedly bad. It wasn't absurd enough to be good. It is trying to take itself seriously again and that is always a bad thing when it comes to Yugioh. That is, it is trying to be a real anime with a commercial attached instead of a very amusing commercial. (Yes, I know this episode was meant to be an introduction to the new rules and crap.)

They really seem to be taking the 乗っただけ meme to new limits with the bikes since there was absolutely no point in them riding them.
Old 2008-04-04, 08:32   Link #12
kira-sama

Send a message via MSN to kira-sama Send a message via Yahoo to kira-sama
lately i have been fan of yugioh from the 1st season
but until now i haven't good on playing yugioh cards "sigh"

and this new series of yugioh i heard from my friend that this time the main characters was so cool
Old 2008-04-04, 10:55   Link #13
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
That was unexpectedly bad. It wasn't absurd enough to be good. It is trying to take itself seriously again and that is always a bad thing when it comes to Yugioh. That is, it is trying to be a real anime with a commercial attached instead of a very amusing commercial. (Yes, I know this episode was meant to be an introduction to the new rules and crap.)

They really seem to be taking the 乗っただけ meme to new limits with the bikes since there was absolutely no point in them riding them.
Well, I entered some strange dimension of WTF-are-you-doing-land and casually checked it out on nico (why), and yes... I have to agree with you.

I mean okay, if they want to use some more serious bits or something fine, you have to have a few to snag the fans and make them feel emotional but... but well...

I think I'm just still wondering why bikes.
They better do something more ridiculous with it and god forbid any sort of "emotional bonding with bikes" (then again I doubt I'd watch any more of this unless there were some great lulz to be had)

My favourite scene has to be where Ushio goes on for a while asking Yusei where he stole that G-foil from blah blah blah and then: "LET'S DUEL"
"LET'S DUEL", the new "42"?

It's only the first episode, but I hope they start to pile on more cheese and fun characters. A serious shounen show with silly fights is sometimes OK with me if it wasn't as far out as ads for card games on bikes.

I think I can't believe I"m posting in this thread in the first place. Shit, I haven't even watched more than 4 episodes of Yugioh DM/GX altogether even...
Old 2008-04-06, 20:05   Link #14
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Just a brief question, why isnīt any1 playing with 3x Jowgen or some crazy shit that uses 3x Appropriate? isnīt appropriate the perfect card to friggin counter allure and whatsoever? and if u manage to keep jowgen on the field most dark oriented decks that use special summons are gonna be friggin useless

or iīm just too chobo when it comes to playing the TCG, here in hungary, lately some dude with a Six Samurai deck is owning everybody ;/
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-07, 04:01   Link #15
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
No, definitely not.
PTDN was quite freestyle. They just introduced Yubel theme cards along with some odd balls (well, say Rainbow Neos).
Aside of it, they just went berserk with "dark" themes, a la IOC, though it is even worse.
That's what happens when UDE do jackass with their so called TCG exclusive cards without releasing the OCG exclusive ones. We get a mangled and mutated metagame, which is kinda sad. There are many archtypes you can use in this metagame but without contest, DAD return is the best in term of stability and speed. It is closely followed with lame FTK Magical explosion and a tricky DAD DDT

I'm sure DAD wouldn't be that broken without all these engine cards, that's pretty much the reason why Konami didn't limited it in Japan, but on UDE "territory" it is just plain absurd.
I was running from 6 years a rush deck borderline BIG 40, mutated into a warrior toolbox. Ever since PTDN, I'm running a Gladiator Beast that I engeneered almost in the same time that the one who did the stunt at houston and it is quite competitive to the point I could get third place twice in regionnals over here (ruled by DAD samurai etc).

AKH, it is going to turn into a TCG thread... i think another thread or PM discussion would be less intrusive

wow. it's more then just playing this wizzard guy with the lance and black hat and win.

The game is neverending. You'll never be finished completing your set cos there will always be new ones. And the rules and game change constantly pff gotta be flexible for that. I'd hate the thought of making a very good deck only to find out a month later they made a omg wtf card that kills all
Old 2008-04-10, 00:02   Link #16
wao
OK.

Skipping through the latest episode, hey they actually CAN have normal duels without the bike! What a terrific relief. They seem to be trying to put some serious stuff into the background of the story though.

I have no idea how the card game works but the battle itself seemed kinda boring so I skipped it.
Old 2008-04-10, 00:13   Link #17
hanseo
CC's Shining Knight

YAY yugi-oh
hanseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 20:17   Link #18
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I have no idea how the card game works but the battle itself seemed kinda boring so I skipped it.
Most of the combo you see in the anime is kid strategy. The real thing comes when you play real game.

I only watch this one because I'm love Yugioh CTG, not a fan of this anime series.
Old 2008-04-23, 09:37   Link #19
wao
OK.

Hahahaha, I lol'd like mad at episode 4.

Maybe only because the ridiculousness was at a nice level this time. Especially the way Jack is acting a lot like a certain CEO.

And the best part of all was Yusei's line: "You're talking too much!"

Best. Line. Ever. Now somebody quickly make a MAD out of it (that, and the ridiculous KC guy in the beginning - somebody slap a clip of Kaiba saying "sokkoku kaiko meijuu" from DM)

edit: ooh, and now that I notice it there's a Black Magician cameo on one of the cards. Not that I should care, being a stupid fangirl...

Last edited by wao; 2008-04-23 at 09:47.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 01:49   Link #20
bayoab

And it is at this point that I will probably jump off the 5D train. There is too much of a threat of total absurdity and the preview for the next episode feels like it will hurt my brain more than cause amusement. The secret use of the trap cards is getting rather annoying as well.

Though the creators seem to have been throwing around meme level material in the past two episodes with a certain likeness in the King to a certain president. The nico comments were even more fun about how it is a 250 yen card vs a 2000 yen card.