AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-06-05, 20:26   Link #41
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

A little late, but...

As Noir is one of my favorite anime titles ever, I have to comment.

I admit that the plot moved slowly, but that was part of the charm of the show. For example, at first, the endless flashbacks annoyed me to no end, but as the series progressed, they became an extremely powerful running motif. The mysterious atmosphere kept building up, and I loved it. I also liked the fact that the first episodes were detached and episodic. Each ep. was a new story in a new place, that revealed the truth little by little. It was really a treat when everything came together near the ending. Also, unlike many other animes, the ending didn't seem rushed or sudden (which detracts from a series' strength).

Also, interestingly, while watching it, I didn't get the impression that I was watching an anime. There was no unrealistic explosions or magical powers, no distortions of any of the cahracters, and few radical plot twists. Unlike other action-genre series, I didn't have to wonder whether characters were really humans or just giant exploding sacks of blood. Best of all the music was incredible (no saccarine J-pop!!). I went out and got the two OSTs right away and they played nonstop on my playlists for a week.

I will concede, however, that I was a little let down by the action in the later episodes. Though at first, I could understand how the fighters were a little unsteady, their skill level never improved. The Soldats' best knights, the nuns, and the common everday lousy grunts all had the same shooting ability. Oh well...

As for the ending:
Spoiler:

All in all, it's a masterpiece, and I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 03:18   Link #42
eternal

What's the love story inside of NOIR

the love story....i duno can anyone tell me?

i wanted know since i love MADLAX

is the love story between a guy and a girl? And in what situation? Did they fall in love at 1st sight?

Thank you
eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 05:08   Link #43
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Nobody falls in love. There is no love story. That's not what the show is about.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 05:45   Link #44
TronDD
Team the box!

Actually there is a single episode where Kirika gets a crush on that guy she sees painting by the river. As a romance story, it doesn't amount to much, but it is a very emotional episode.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 07:06   Link #45
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I guess you can say that Chloe falls in love with Kirika... and maybe Mireille loves her uncle... the love between Kirika and the painter is definitely very subtle and feels quite nice
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 10:01   Link #46
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
NOIR has come into my observations once but it's just too expansive for me to own it at that time...i think if i'm not mistaken is around RM185.00 >_< my one month allowance only RM100 how could i possible to bought it...>_<

My friends once told me... "Make Anime watching your hobby and you'll get a millionaire hobbies...and do you know that anime is a hobby where is more expansive than Golf?" And now i seems to get wat he mean >_<

I've only watch a couple of Episodes from Noir and the gun shooting scene is really rocks...even better than Gunslinger Girl....
Yuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-08, 13:24   Link #47
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I guess you can say that Chloe falls in love with Kirika... and maybe Mireille loves her uncle... the love between Kirika and the painter is definitely very subtle and feels quite nice
There's no real love (as in romance) between Kirika and Mireille, and Mirielle's link with her uncle is purely familial. The bond between Kirika and the painter, too, I believe, is more of a bond of comradeship. Both are painters struggling with dual lives as
Spoiler:
I suppose Kirika just wants to feel normal, like he does. It is pretty poignant though, seeing the two. Lastly, as for Kirika and Chloe, it's a more a relationship of obsession. As Kirika later notes,
Spoiler:
Perhaps more of a power-control issue than a true romance. Regardless, I liked how the show treated the theme of justice. Many targets (those killed) were portrayed as decidedly human, but they had to go.
Old 2004-06-08, 16:09   Link #48
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
The bond between Kirika and the painter, too, I believe, is more of a bond of comradeship. Both are painters struggling with dual lives as
Spoiler:
I suppose Kirika just wants to feel normal, like he does. It is pretty poignant though, seeing the two.
Well Kirika starts painteing because he paints. She tries to be like him before she even knows anything about him, if I remember correctly. I think there is more of a romantic attraction to him in Kirika than you suggest. However, I'll agree that in the end, the episode is about their comradeship due to their similarities and how they can't escape who they are.
Old 2004-06-08, 17:01   Link #49
Just a subtitler ^_^

Quote:
There's no real love (as in romance) between Kirika and Mireille
Heh, unless you pay attention to what Kirika put in that letter... ;p Admittedly Kirika has more emotional issues than Spiderman has back issues, but even so.
AvatarADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-10, 00:38   Link #50
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarADV
Heh, unless you pay attention to what Kirika put in that letter... ;p Admittedly Kirika has more emotional issues than Spiderman has back issues, but even so.
Huh? Isn't the thing that Kirika wants to tell Mirielle is that
Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-10, 03:27   Link #51
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Huh? Isn't the thing that Kirika wants to tell Mirielle is that
Spoiler:
I don't think we find that out until later. It's reveiled in a flashback. I think the letter was just Kirika saying how much she loved Mirielle and their time together. "Thanks for taking care of me", and such.
Old 2004-06-29, 04:54   Link #52
ClancyDamon
クラシー デマン

Send a message via AIM to ClancyDamon
Question about Noir (Spoilers)

I know this is pretty stupid, but I have a tendency to be driven insane by the things I just can't figure out at all. Anyway, towards the end,
Spoiler:

I just want to know if I missed something in there.

Last edited by ClancyDamon; 2004-06-30 at 00:59.
ClancyDamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-30, 16:04   Link #53
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClancyDamon
I know this is pretty stupid, but I have a tendency to be driven insane by the things I just can't figure out at all. Anyway, towards the end,
Spoiler:

I just want to know if I missed something in there.
Read a couple of the posts a little bit back on this thread (unspoil the spoiler tags lol). We had a major discussion about that. Something to the extent of
Spoiler:
Old 2004-06-30, 21:41   Link #54
ClancyDamon
クラシー デマン

I don't know.
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-01, 02:33   Link #55
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClancyDamon
I don't know.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2004-07-03, 19:53   Link #56
ClancyDamon
クラシー デマン

Ok, thank you very much. I can accept that.
Old 2004-08-10, 10:16   Link #57
eternal

Question on Noir-shoujo ai related

Hi there,

i'm the kind of person who fascinates with girl power,i've just finished NOIR,and it was great! I just like the bonding and friendship that evolves around girls,remember,only GIRLS.though i'm a girl myself.

Of course,i've been seeing Madlax as well...well,just finished downloading gunslinger girls,i hope it could turn out to be a nice series.As far as i can see,madlax is not completely the same with noir. *Since there's no kissing scene and stuff that has in noir*

As for maria sama ga miteru....just like the shoujo ai thingy,the story itself has nothing really interesting actually.

So what do u guys think? What's your opinion about noir? Is Kirika in love with mireille? And well,there's so much thing left behind unexplained...who was actually kirika?(don't tell me she's NOIR!)
why did she hold a gun at an age of,4,probably! ?

So then,see ya!

eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 10:52   Link #58
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

there is a noir thread, I guess this one will be merged pretty soon...

anyway since Kirika actually clearly said that she loves Mirielle in the letter she wrote to her, so there's no doubt in the shoujo-ai stuff imo...

About Kirika's age, I mentioned it in Madlax thread, but I'll say it again here, I guess it is possible that Kirika and Mirielle are at the same age, or only 1 year apart, ie. Kirika is 17 and Mirielle is 17 or 18. So maybe she was not as young as we thought when she did the assassination back then.

About who is she, she is one of the three chosen by Altena to become Noir, so Kirika received some super trainings at young age I guess...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 19:03   Link #59
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal
Is Kirika in love with mireille?
Noir's my absolute all-time fav (and Madlax is coming in a solid 2nd), and I've rewatched it many times. While the nature of the relationship is deliberately vague (at least according to the liner notes), there are a handful of looks Kirika sneaks that are a bit suggestive. The most dramatic is on the beach in Uglia, where Kirika slowly looks back at Mireille when she says "it's so beautiful". Her gaze holds for a beat, and then glances back really fast like she's caught herself thinking something she shouldn't.

Well, that's the way you could easily project on to it, at least. You could also take the safe route that due to the ensuing flashback (and the sound of waves that continue during it), she's instead reminded of that situation instead. I like my theory better.

Another is in NYC when Mireille gets up from bed in that nightgown; Kirika's eyes are definitely open for interpretation.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun finding all the little clues, and simple subtle expressions make the show.
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-10, 23:29   Link #60
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Hmm. I've always believed that the relationship between the girls was more of a bond of fellowship than actual lustful love. I've interpreted Kirika's actions as more admiration towards Mirielle. She's, taller, more "mature", rather good-looking, popular, and somewhat "normal" when compared to her and her past. Though she's far by the superior killer, Kirika yearns to lead a somewhat normal life. I suppose that's why she was so attracted to the one painter from Season from Hell. Just my $0.02