Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-10-30, 03:35   Link #341
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
This does seem interesting if you're spending too much time in metro. Not sure anyone on a desktop does that, but for Surface, it should be nice.
Old 2012-10-30, 03:45   Link #342
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Surface has actually got my wife's attention -- she's stewing on the idea.
Old 2012-10-30, 06:27   Link #343
sa547
*Author

http://www.techpowerup.com/174631/DR...Windows-8.html

They're that disappointed in Win8 just because it's uses less memory? Oh, man, luckily I'm living in the age when it has now become very affordable to buy big memory kits for any purpose (and very cheap basic DDR3 was one of the reasons I assembled a new PC back in May).

(Also, makes me think back when 4mb was big enough for Win3.11, and anything bigger than that was insanely expensive; and that programmers were required to create their programs to use less memory.)
Old 2012-10-30, 11:18   Link #344
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Alas, you can't use your own tools(apps) in this.
Old 2012-10-30, 14:33   Link #345
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
Alas, you can't use your own tools(apps) in this.
That was my next question. I'm getting the feeling of "Apple's walled garden via only MS-signedcert apps" here. No "android freedom".

Am I right? Wrong?
Old 2012-10-30, 14:43   Link #346
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

You mean, "can i use my own created app without being in W8 store?" i think you can do that

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-30, 14:50   Link #347
konart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That was my next question. I'm getting the feeling of "Apple's walled garden via only MS-signedcert apps" here. No "android freedom".

Am I right? Wrong?
Well, in this case it's not about freedom. This is in fact 9 apps in one and you can use 1-6 of them at a time. You can't even use apps available in Metro by default. So in a sense - it's just one app with 9 widgets and up to 6 widget areas for them to be placed in. Nothing more.

As a linux user - I was hoping for an opportunity to devide my userspace into several parts, like in tiling window managers(Awesome WM as an example):

Images
big image
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-10-31, 16:07   Link #348
Simonsy

Wondering if anyone knows what to do.

I got Windows 8 on release day. Then decided to get an SSD card yesterday. I can't seem to figure out how to make the SSD card be the main drive where the OS is on.

I tried doing the remove everything and reinstall windows in the general settings but it just re-did it on the current HDD and I wasn't able to ever chose different.

I tried disconnecting every hard-drive but the new SSD and hooking up my ISO windows 7 usb, but it doesn't seem to want to install, it just shows a small smiley face in teh bios and if i push a key it says teh whole insert correct boot drive and try again error message.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 18:53   Link #349
Random32
Also a Lolicon

1. idk about your SSD, but some of them have their own drivers, particularly the PCIe card SSDs. When you are at the point in the install where you select where you want to put Windows, you might have to insert a disc/USB drive/etc with the drivers for your SSD.
2. idk about your SSD and laptop, but some laptops that support mSATA card SSD's intend for it to be used as cache/etc and have hoops to jump through if you want to use the mSATA SSD as an actually disk drive. Google is your friend on this one.
3. Option 3, install it to an HDD, and use some tool to migrate (not clone) it over to your SSD.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-31, 23:54   Link #350
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

My only real complaint now is Switchable Graphics on my laptop. I've had to install the leshcat custom drivers to get it to work, but it's obviously far from optimal. My laptop went from taking a few seconds to boot to taking 30+ s to boot, where the screen flickers twice while booting.

I'm this -><- close to just ditching Switchable Graphics and just relying on the Intel graphics while ignoring the Radeon. I hardly ever play games on my laptop anyways.

HP may technically "support" Windows 8 for my laptop, and I saw Windows 8 show up yesterday under the Driver's OS selection, but when you select it, the only Windows 8 download available is some HP software update to their self-support/diagnostics.

Not that I'm surprised (even if the laptop is only three months old). That's how it is every time a new Windows comes out. Luckily Windows tends to always provide basic drivers, and this time was no exception. The only thing I've lost is my finger print reader. I can actually get a driver loaded for it, but I have no software that will actually interface with it. Kills me that the OS doesn't just handle bio-metrics natively. I got so used to just swiping my finger for all my logins. I'm going through withdrawal.

My desktop uses two monitors, and Windows 8's dual personality becomes far smoother and pleasant with multiple monitors. One monitor for the desktop side of things, and the other monitor for the Metro side of things. I kind of dig it.

As far as productivity is concerned, I feel like there's an awful lot of disingenious chatter out there. Windows 7 is essentially still there, and if you absolutely hate the Start screen (frankly, I think it's a vast improvement over the Start Menu-though I think the natural evolution from these big tiles and a touch world would be to have a killer implementation of voice commands so I can mutter "open gw2" and it'd do it without me having to press a button or watch my diction), you can get it back via third party apps and pretty much never deal with the Metro side of things. As far as enterprise is concerned, don't make me laugh.

Sure, there are special snowflakes out there, but most enterprises are still using XP and will use it until they have absolutely no choice but to upgrade. It's not just the OS that enterprise tends to drag feet on. It's everything. Hell, my workplace still uses old Oracle crap that require you to use severely outdated Java Runtimes that we have to host on our own servers since Oracle hasn't supplied them in forever. Legacy, enterprise; enterprise, legacy. It's an incredibly rare business/organization that squees like a techie and instantly adopts the next best thing.

Anyways, I've been an unabashed fan of the direction Windows is going. Yes, it's being dumbed down, but I feel dumbed down is inevitable, and if I had to choose a way an OS was going to be dumbed down, the direction Windows is going is my top pick.

Don't get me wrong. 90% of my non-gaming time on a computer is spent within a browser, so the idea behind the Chrome OS certainly seems like that's the way things should be going, but as much as I love Google, they are complete and utter fail in providing polished user experiences. Great at providing useful experiences. Just completely lacking on the fluff side of that coin.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 02:28   Link #351
sa547
*Author

I think the big reluctance on the part of businesses to upgrade their software is, of course, the costs and the possibility of breaking something that works well for so long (I thought of a VirtualPC official testimony in which a hospital needed to keep their legacy Win95 custom application alive and well by using VPC within XP, and without having to undergo upgrade hell and/or recoding that app for a new OS).

On my Win7 rig now, I'm drive-testing some of 8's new features using a third-party visual emulation of the Metro UI, which took me some getting used to by clicking around and playing with the tiles. But judging from the initial comments here, I think I'll wait until proper stable drivers are brought out for 8 before I could install it.
Old 2012-11-01, 09:03   Link #352
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I think the big reluctance on the part of businesses to upgrade their software is, of course, the costs and the possibility of breaking something that works well for so long
I know people here find it hard to believe, but changing operating systems usually requires user training at companies. Many people have an entirely rote relationship with computers in their jobs. Changing what they seen on screen can be remarkably disruptive.

Just a quick search took me to these results for June, 2012. WinXP, though in decline, is still on 45% of the computers in that study, compared to about 40% for Windows 7.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 14:01   Link #353
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I know people here find it hard to believe, but changing operating systems usually requires user training at companies. Many people have an entirely rote relationship with computers in their jobs. Changing what they seen on screen can be remarkably disruptive.

Just a quick search took me to these results for June, 2012. WinXP, though in decline, is still on 45% of the computers in that study, compared to about 40% for Windows 7.
Aye, forums like this completely are often full of early adopters who completely don't "get" that issue. I've worked with people one might think bright who get totally lost if you move the icon, if you change the icon.

Most workers don't have any meta-understanding of User Interfaces at all.
Old 2012-11-01, 14:35   Link #354
monster

That's why I think it's great that Microsoft is releasing Windows 8/RT now. Businesses are just starting to upgrade to Windows 7, so they're not likely to upgrade to the next version no matter what. So why not make a consumer play?

If it proves popular enough with the general public, there's no reason why it wouldn't make any inroads into businesses as the iPad seems to have done, to a certain extent.

That's not to say that Windows 8 has no feature to offer to businesses, such as Windows To Go and Client Hyper-V, aside from general improvements over Windows 7, such as being more optimized for touch-enabled and possibly lower-powered devices. So even if most businesses will not upgrade to Windows 8 now (or ever), there may be certain businesses for which Windows 8/RT can prove to be useful in a way that Windows XP/7 may not.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 14:46   Link #355
Random32
Also a Lolicon

We are pretty tech savvy.

Some people being complete idiots isn't a reason for US not to upgrade. Personally, I think there are a lot of improvements in the desktop side that warrant an upgrade, at least for me.

@felix. Nice stuff in Windows 8 for productivity (at least some people's idea of it)
-Multimonitor Taskbar. A lot like Ultramon's smart taskbar, which coincidentally, also costs $40. If you use 2+ monitors, the smart taskbar is very useful imho, and its now a built in Windows feature.
-Fast bootup/resume. I have sub 10sec boot. Resume is pretty much instant.
-Improved UI for explorer, etc.

@monster
Enterprises will not upgrade to Windows 8 isn't a universal rule, as as you mention, there are a lot of improvements 8 has over 7 which does make it better for some companies. A good 25% of businesses have plans to deploy Windows 8 eventually.

It's just that most of the time, it doesn't make sense.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-01, 18:42   Link #356
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've heard that before. And "eventually" could mean by the time Windows 9 or 10 appears. I also don't think an article on ZDNet that consists of interviewing a panel of corporate testers rounded up by Microsoft tells us much about businesses as a whole.

As for those features.... Support for multiple monitors is not going to be a big selling point when most of the office staff are looking at a single 15" display. Fast bootup just means not having an excuse to get a cup of coffee at the beginning of the work day.

I've used pretty much every major release of desktop Windows since 1.0. I've seen each major revision of Windows be touted as better, faster, you name it. If Win8 is a big improvement over the earlier versions, well, great. But I'll reiterate my earlier point that people use applications, not operating systems. For a secretary typing into a word processor, the operating system is an irrelevancy.

As an outside observer with no axe to grind here, it just looks to me that the reason for Windows 8 is Microsoft's being made irrelevant in the mobile space. I doubt there are major technical flaws in Win7 that needed fixing for the vast majority of users. There was also Microsoft's need to help its new-found partner Nokia try to get out of the hole it dug itself into. Both these companies needed a new mobile platform if they were to stand any chance of competing against iOS and Android in the mobile market in the years ahead.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 01:05   Link #357
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
We are pretty tech savvy.

Some people being complete idiots isn't a reason for US not to upgrade. Personally, I think there are a lot of improvements in the desktop side that warrant an upgrade, at least for me.

@felix. Nice stuff in Windows 8 for productivity (at least some people's idea of it)
-Multimonitor Taskbar. A lot like Ultramon's smart taskbar, which coincidentally, also costs $40. If you use 2+ monitors, the smart taskbar is very useful imho, and its now a built in Windows feature.
-Fast bootup/resume. I have sub 10sec boot. Resume is pretty much instant.
-Improved UI for explorer, etc.

@monster
Enterprises will not upgrade to Windows 8 isn't a universal rule, as as you mention, there are a lot of improvements 8 has over 7 which does make it better for some companies. A good 25% of businesses have plans to deploy Windows 8 eventually.

It's just that most of the time, it doesn't make sense.
Gonna list a few things that i found stupid since getting Windows 8. The things you listed above, I do like, but these are my annoyances.

1. Metro can't be open on one monitor while doing anything on another. If I do something on one monitor, the metro page with all the apps dissappears.

2. Playing game in full screen reduces background programs to super slow mode, meaning can't play a netflix or video on second monitor while playing a game. Had to put game into windows 7 compatability mode in order for video to play smoothly.

3. With multiple monitors it can be tricky to open up metro and stuff on a certain monitor cause have to go super slow in order to go in the corner and not move to next monitor. I did learn that you can just push the windows key on keyboard, so that's not such a big gripe anymore.

But fix 1 & 2 and I'll be much happier. Especially #1. I really liked the idea of having one of my less used monitors have the metro screen up the whole time. So I can see stuff like mail updates, news flashes, weather, ect in their respective App buttons while doing stuff on other monitor. At moment I barely use metro at all, cause it just doesn't work well with multiple monitors.

Only bonus I have seen with multiple monitors so far is that each screen has a different wallpaper on it. Coudlnt' do that standardly with windows 7, had to install other programs.
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 01:09   Link #358
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
For a secretary typing into a word processor, the operating system is an irrelevancy.
If the operating system is an irrelevancy, then there's no reason for Microsoft to offer downgrade rights.
Quote:
Both these companies needed a new mobile platform if they were to stand any chance of competing against iOS and Android in the mobile market in the years ahead.
True, and right now they (or at least Microsoft) are "all in" with Windows 8/RT and Windows Phone 8.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-02, 01:18   Link #359
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I installed Windows 8 and I love it, but to my dismay it doesn't recognize my Winfast TV 2000 Expert TV tuner card... and unfortunately that's a deal breaker for me, not being able to watch TV on one of my monitors while I work or play really sucks.

I dug around the web and it seems that neither the manufacturer nor Microsoft are interested in fixing the driver problem =( So I had to go back to Windows 7.
Old 2012-11-02, 01:36   Link #360
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I hope I'm the only one who is not impressed with Windows 8 regardless of its flashiness.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote