AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-08-11, 21:00   Link #81
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Hmm... but
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

...or so goes another of my theories; more stuff you can read into it and project as much as you want.

Regarding the "cliche":
Spoiler:

I could keep going on and on about this show all night, but I'll spare y'all for now...

One last bit about the "suggestiveness" though; in my first exposure to the show as it was airing on INHD a while back, I only caught a handful of eps out of order, and at the time I thought I sensed that there was a serious sexual tension beneath it. Once I saw the whole series in a row (and then again, and again, and again),
I actually, honestly, don't see it. There's a strong devotion and attachment, a true bond that forms, but despite the fact that I like to tease about the more "suggestive" shots, I really don't believe that there's anything sexual about it either. And it's all the more wonderful because of it.

The ambiguity was the bait, though...

(Now I've gotta go rewatch ep 19 of Madlax! WTF!!)
Fellini 8.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-11, 22:23   Link #82
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

for that "cliche" (albeit I personally don't think it's "cliche", since imo most other anime do better in this aspect ) part...
Spoiler:

Madlax is more and more interesting! ep19 is CRAZY!!!
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 06:21   Link #83
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Noir wasn't perfect, but it certainly wasn't mediocre. It did miss a lot of opportunities to capatilize on its characters. For example, I always thought that they missed a big opportunity to make Kirika a more 'human' character when...

Spoiler:

I won't get to see Madlax 19 till the weekend
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 06:38   Link #84
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Spoiler:
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 07:34   Link #85
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Noir wasn't perfect, but it certainly wasn't mediocre. It did miss a lot of opportunities to capatilize on its characters. For example, I always thought that they missed a big opportunity to make Kirika a more 'human' character when...

Spoiler:

I won't get to see Madlax 19 till the weekend
No I don't mean the anime is mediocre, I just think the main plot is mediocre especially towards the end, but I think the whole series is great, with some of my all time favorite side plots
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 11:45   Link #86
Khi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Spoiler:
Shooting...

Spoiler:
Khi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 12:35   Link #87
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khi
Shooting...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 20:58   Link #88
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Spoiler:

...or something like that.

Anyway, it's great to see a smattering of Noir debate still going on; I thought that since I happened upon the show so late that I missed it all!
Old 2004-08-12, 21:07   Link #89
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Anyway, I really liked Milosh; he was the one guy in the series I could most closely identify with. Except replace "French Foreign Legion" with "Xerox Corporation" and "shooting people and getting medals seems to be the only thing I'm good at" with "going to a lot of stupid meetings seems to be the only thing I'm good at".
Old 2004-08-13, 04:24   Link #90
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Hello, another Madlax referered Noir watcher ..and like you guy, I *LOVE* this anime... and I saw that i'm not the only one who confused about the ending here .

Anyone watch the ending credit(I had this habit cuz recently I've just watched RahXephon )? Why there is only one girl? Base on the hair style&color it should be Chlnoe ? Isn't it paradise? Why do they color the gun pink (sic) and blue? Why does Kirika nake in the room ? ANd the gun with the magazine unloaded I think symbolized that they still alive and stop killing ..damn, it is so brain teasing......
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 05:25   Link #91
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini 8.5
Spoiler:
Hmm...yeah maybe, but...

Spoiler:

After all this talk, I really need to sit down and rewatch it, though finding 12 hours to spare is tricky ....
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 09:30   Link #92
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgz
Anyone watch the ending credit(I had this habit cuz recently I've just watched RahXephon )? Why there is only one girl? Base on the hair style&color it should be Chlnoe ? Isn't it paradise? Why do they color the gun pink (sic) and blue? Why does Kirika nake in the room ? ANd the gun with the magazine unloaded I think symbolized that they still alive and stop killing ..damn, it is so brain teasing......
Huh? I always thought that it was Kirika all along. After all, she is the main character and that's Murielle's room. You can see her teddy bear (the one she held when her parents were killed) in the background with all other stuff that's kind of like Murielle's apartment. I like that paradise and the room. It gives a very relaxing feeling, as if people who live there just wake up one morning, the bed is not made because it's unnecessary, and just being lazy. Maybe that's why Kirika is naked. It's OK to be naked in a paradise.
Old 2004-08-15, 05:23   Link #93
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Huh? I always thought that it was Kirika all along. After all, she is the main character and that's Murielle's room. You can see her teddy bear (the one she held when her parents were killed) in the background with all other stuff that's kind of like Murielle's apartment. I like that paradise and the room. It gives a very relaxing feeling, as if people who live there just wake up one morning, the bed is not made because it's unnecessary, and just being lazy. Maybe that's why Kirika is naked. It's OK to be naked in a paradise.
Me too. I'm pretty sure it was Kirika. That's the same straw hat she was wearing when she blasted the he!! out of those poor guerillas, wasn't it? . Which, btw I love the ED. That song has been stuck in my head for ages.
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 11:34   Link #94
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Hello... Did I wake up anyone? I hope this thread isn't dead
Noir happens to be my number 1 anime and I didn't even had the chance to post in this thread yet I know, shameless...
I got to see noir relatively late considering the year it was emited, anyway I watched the fansubs, I bought the Region 1 dvds, which don't normally run on a european dvd player by the way and I'm planning on buying the european region 2 dvd release, which will include portuguese subtitles and a french dub (I just have to hear that ) That's just how much of a fan I am
Back on the subject, not a complex analysis or interpretation, just a simple question that I think no one mentioned before: does watching noir for the first time gave you any kind of happy felling at any point on the series? before the end of course... I noticed there are almost no humor on it, except for some sarcastic remarks from Mireille , of course this isn't a comedy and it's definetly not supposed to be funny but it gets so heavy at times cuz it rarely portraits positive emotions... But that's a good thing in my opinion cuz it makes us realise those few good thinks that happen in the show once in a while and it makes us value them much more then we would normally would on other circunstances. Things like that kitten, Prince Myskin, on episode 6. When it pops its head out of the paper bag and goes "meow" I just thought: this is the cuttest thing I've ever seen, it just warmed my heart
MartAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 11:56   Link #95
JoeStoppable
I'm Unstoppable

Send a message via AIM to JoeStoppable
Just wondering but do the DVD's have any special extras on them? And if so, what are they?

BTW Noir = Best anime ever
Noir OST = Best OST ever
JoeStoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 12:15   Link #96
yslee

Noir isn't that great. A bit slow at the start, and the action isn't great save for a few scenes. Maybe I've been spoilt by too much HK gunfighting drama. =P But really, the action usually consists of said heroines standing and and shooting and having the bad guys drop like flies...

I do like the OST lots, makes for very good background music for some games!
yslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 14:15   Link #97
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Try to not see Noir as an action and it will become a lot more enjoyable. I actually did the same thing, I thought it was going to be a girl-pair shoot-up a la Gunsmith Cats thing, and MAN did that change when I dropped the action idea.

Noir is firstly and lastly a drama. If you want a andreline pumping action fiesta, go Samurai Champloo or the one with a maincharacter named Vash the Stampede instead.

As much as I had love to write all my love for this show here, I'll just devote the energy to my stories instead ^^
Never stop being a kid. Never stop feeling and seeing and being excited with great things like air and engines and sounds of sunlight within you. Wear your little mask if you must to protect you from the world but if you let that kid disappear you are grown up and you are dead.
— Richard Bach

Shigan's Fanfiction Masterlist -- The Hayate x Vivio Files
Shigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 14:47   Link #98
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStoppable
Just wondering but do the DVD's have any special extras on them? And if so, what are they?
If you're talking about region 1 dvd's, yes they have special extras You get cleaning OP/ED, production sketches, japanese voice actor interviews, english voice actor interviews, and if you find the easter eggs you'll get music videos, some more interviews with english voice actors and a really silly mini story with "socket puppets" as the characters, made by the english voice actors
If you're talking about the region 2 dvd's, I really don't know cuz they're not available in Portugal yet but I guess they won't have any special extras, unfortunately, anime dvd releases in Portugal don't usually bring many extras

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStoppable
BTW Noir = Best anime ever
Noir OST = Best OST ever
You are soo right!
Old 2004-10-12, 18:00   Link #99
Fellini 8.5
Film Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartAnimE
Back on the subject, not a complex analysis or interpretation, just a simple question that I think no one mentioned before: does watching noir for the first time gave you any kind of happy felling at any point on the series? before the end of course... I noticed there are almost no humor on it, except for some sarcastic remarks from Mireille , of course this isn't a comedy and it's definetly not supposed to be funny but it gets so heavy at times cuz it rarely portraits positive emotions... But that's a good thing in my opinion cuz it makes us realise those few good thinks that happen in the show once in a while and it makes us value them much more then we would normally would on other circunstances. Things like that kitten, Prince Myskin, on episode 6. When it pops its head out of the paper bag and goes "meow" I just thought: this is the cuttest thing I've ever seen, it just warmed my heart
This discussion just came up over on another forum I lurk in; one of the posters insisted that Noir was indeed funny!

And I agree!

It's not funny in a "ha-ha-joking" kind of way; no not at all. More of a "twinkle-in-the-eye" kind of way. Very dry. A lot of it is in Mireille's expression when she reacts to something or another that Kirika does. Like that long beat in episode 2 when she asks Kirika for the knife. And there are lots of moments like the one you mention with Prince Myshkin. The ice-cream cone! (Right, Shigan? ) The way Chloe just strolls into the apartment and starts flipping through a magazine -- that was both extreme tension and probably the funniest thing in the entire series, all in one!

After the return from Austria, though, those little bits of humor come to a stop; everything is dead serious. Until the end of the sequence where Mireille meets Remi Grupal and says "Well, maybe not alone, anyway". (cue music) That last little exchange is a little light oasis until...
Spoiler:

Oh jeez, you've got me going with my blowhard act on another thread here! "Oh lord, there goes that Fellini again!"
Old 2004-10-12, 18:24   Link #100
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellini 8.5
The way Chloe just strolls into the apartment and starts flipping through a magazine -- that was both extreme tension and probably the funniest thing in the entire series, all in one!
Yeah, that was damn funny, cuz it was so unexpected, so... out of place, and Kirika offering Chloe tea while Mireille was still in shock was the final blow... Now I remember I was really laughing at that part, it just looked so absurd, it really was a "mad tea party"

Spoiler for Kill Bill: