AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2011-11-28, 23:22   Link #1
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

Hyouka - General Discussion

Official Website: http://www.kyotoanimation.co.jp/kotenbu/

Spoiler for Original novel cover:

Quote from ANN:

Quote:
The official website of the studio Kyoto Animation announced on Tuesday that a television anime series adaptation of Honobu Yonezawa's adolescent mystery novel Hyou-ka: You can't escape has been green-lit.

The story follows a boy named Hōtarō who is not assertive about getting involved, but was ordered by his older sister to join the classic literature club. In the club, he gets close to the truth about an incident, involving a female member's uncle, which happened 33 years ago. The "energy-saving" boy is joined by an inquisitive girl in this adolescent mystery.

Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko, the imprint behind the Haruhi Suzumiya light novels, published the original Hyou-ka novel. The novel received an honor in the Young Mystery & Horror category of the 5th Kadokawa School Novel Prizes. The book launched Yonezawa's Kotenbu (classic literature club) series that now has five volumes.

Yonezawa also wrote the Shōshimin mystery novel series that has had several manga adaptations, including Anko Manjūya's Shunki Gentei Ichigo Tart Jiken (The Case of the Springtime Limited-Edition Strawberry Tart).
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/n...hyoka-tv-anime

Japanese Wikipedia entry for those interested:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%80%...83%BC%E3%82%BA

Staff List:

Director : Yasuhiro Takemoto (FMP)
Series composition : Shoji Gatoh (FMP's creator)
Character-designer : Futoshi Nishiya (Nichijou)
Music : Kouhei Tanaka

Cast List: (3/29/12)

Yūichi Nakamura as Hōtarō Oreki
Satomi Satou as Eru Chitanda
Daisuke Sakaguchi as Satoshi Fukube
Ai Kayano as Mayaka Ibara
Satsuki Yukino as Tomoe Oreki
Ryotaro Okiayu as Masashi Togaito
Yukana as Fuyumi Irisu
Mami Koyama as Youko Itoigawa
Saori Hayami as Kaho Jyuumonji
Aoi Yuuki as Korako Eba
Yoshihisa Kawahara as Koreyuki Tani
Masumi Asano as Ayako Kouchi
Aki Yoyosaki as Rie Zenna
Yui Ogura as Kayo Zenna
Atsushi Abe as Tomohiro Haba
Mariya Ise as Misaki Owakiguchi
Miyu Irino as Jirou Sugimura
Ami Koshimuzu as Midori Yamanishi
Hirohashi Ryou as Mamiko Senoue
Yuuki Tai as Takeo Katsuta
Takumi Yamazaki as Omichi-sensei
Katsuyuki Konishi as Takeo Kaitou
Nobuyuki Kofushi as Quiz Research Club Head
Youko Hikasa as Quiz Research Club Chairman
Kanae Itou as Confectionery Study Club Girl A
Nozumi Masu as Confectionery Study Club Girl B
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-03-29 at 22:33. Reason: More cast added
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 23:34   Link #2
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Yes! This is promising news. I won't bow down to KyoAni just yet, since Nichijou was another attempt to do something a bit "different" from their usual fare which failed for the most part. How good this ends up depends on the writing and story of the original book.

In before Haruhi fans start crying. We'll definitely get that season three someday, don't worry.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 23:44   Link #3
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

im one of the ones that were hoping for little busters! or beign too optimistic FMP!, well i hope they get their touch back the one the lost after clannad as.
Old 2011-11-28, 23:50   Link #4
Brimstone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
im one of the ones that were hoping for little busters! or beign too optimistic FMP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
In before Haruhi fans start crying. We'll definitely get that season three someday, don't worry.

Lol give it up That ship is long gone
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:23   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So, the sleeping giant finally awakes, eh? An interesting choice for them.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:32   Link #6
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
We'll definitely get that season three someday, don't worry.
No, we won't, and this confirms it. I think I'm done with this studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
An interesting choice for them.
Listen, there has never been a good mystery anime. Not ever. Not even KyoAni can make something like that work.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:33   Link #7
winhlp32
(¬‿¬)

I will have some expectations for this. Kadokawa anime properties this year have all been met with financial failure, including Kyoani's Nichijou. They want a hit so bad that they dug up some relatively unknown novel from 10 years ago. I guess apparently their more recent titles just aren't good enough for them. The premise itself has hints of a less boisterous Haruhi on it, so in a way this seems like Kadokawa/Kyoani going back to basics(many people have argued that Kyoani is at their best when adapting prose like Light Novels or Visual Novels rather than manga). And I'm not too surprised that they chose such an obscure work, since Kyoani has been known to make obscure works very popular.
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:41   Link #8
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Reactivate the hype machine, tune her up and get her going again full steam cause it's that time again.

All jokes about Kyoani's bloated reputation aside, I'm slightly perplexed that this looks nothing like what they typically do and even seems to be focused around a male character, albeit one that is seemingly of the weak-willed and perpetually getting bossed around by girls mold that otaku seem to find so fascinating. I.....assume he's the only one and everyone else in the club are really cute girls?

Also some people probably still find my posts on Kyoani irksome, but I have to ask, do people really need to point out that it's not Haruhi, Little Busters or a Full Metal Panic sequel every single time Kyoani makes an announcement about an adaptation?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:44   Link #9
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
The premise itself has hints of a less boisterous Haruhi on it
So, basically instead of animating Haruhi (which everyone wants) we get a weak Haruhi clone (which no one wants).

I'm starting to think that Kadokawa are actually trying to financially destroy themselves.
Old 2011-11-29, 00:47   Link #10
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
No, we won't, and this confirms it. I think I'm done with this studio.
Uh what? Disappearance was just last year and Season 2 was 09. That's only a year between seasons, which is pretty damn short considering some other franchises that needed sequels way sooner. Shana is an example. S1 in 2004-5, S2 in 2007 and S3 only just now.

Quote:
Listen, there has never been a good mystery anime. Not ever. Not even KyoAni can make something like that work.
I don't know what you're smoking because there's two good mystery animes that are airing right now. The first one is obvious, Mawaru Penguindrum, and the second one is Un-go...

Getting back on topic. As I mentioned in the Kyoani thread, it's good to see Kyoani do something completely different other than milking Haruhi or K-on or the next slice of life/comedy (be it 4koma, gag/parody or w/e). However, I'm fairly sure they are going to moeify the character designs in comparison the novel since Kyoani is good at that.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-11-29 at 01:00.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:50   Link #11
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Uh what? Disappearance was just last year and Season 2 was 09.
It's almost 2012. Also, this isn't thread-related at all, but Penguindrum has turned out really really bad.
Old 2011-11-29, 00:58   Link #12
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
It's almost 2012.
And your point? There has been 2 Haruhi related material in the last 2 years. Meanwhiles, the last Key VN adaptation was in 2008 and the last FMP was who knows how long. Don't you think you're being a bit selfish.

And you thinking Penguindrum being bad does not mean the whole mystery genre is bad (or the show itself being bad, which imo is far from it). You might not like the genre, but others might . I very much like well-made thrillers/mysteries and since Kyoani has a good track record regarding LN adaptations, I welcome the change.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-11-29 at 01:10.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 00:58   Link #13
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
It's almost 2012. Also, this isn't thread-related at all, but Penguindrum has turned out really really bad.
Do you need a hug?

Lets all cry now because KyoAni are big meanies who don't give us a haruhi anime every year.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 01:10   Link #14
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

@Kaisos Erranon: I've replied to you in the Kyoto Animation general thread. I strongly advise others to carry on their discussion about what KyoAni should or shouldn't do in that thread, so we can keep this thread on topic. Thanks!
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 01:14   Link #15
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I expect this to do as well as another recent LN-based Kadokawa anime: Gosick.

Puzzled at why they chose this as opposed to something that could almost guarantee them a hit.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 01:19   Link #16
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well I see at least two male characters on the cover. A female character and the skirt of a second that may or may not be important to the plot.
Old 2011-11-29, 01:23   Link #17
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
You might not like the genre, but others might . I very much like well-made thrillers/mysteries and since Kyoani has a good track record regarding LN adaptations, I welcome the change.
I absolutely love mysteries, which is why I'm of the opinion that anime has never done a single one well.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:03   Link #18
Kunagisa

Quote:
You hate Kindaichi too ...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
They want a hit so bad that they dug up some relatively unknown novel from 10 years ago.
It's not that unknown (even relative wise). The author and his works have won numerous awards and this is his debut work (isn't he like THE leading figure for the seishun mystery genre?). Besides, they're probably going for the entire series rather than the first title (which has like what 200 something pages only?), and the series is still on-going (I honestly prefer completed series being adapted).

Though the fact we're getting a "daily puzzle"-type adaptation rather than something like Incite Mill from the same author means KyoAni didn't stray too far from their current schedule.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 02:22   Link #19
rulfo

Quote:
So, basically instead of animating Haruhi (which everyone wants) we get a weak Haruhi clone (which no one wants).

I'm starting to think that Kadokawa are actually trying to financially destroy themselves.
Have you read the source material itself? In any case if you ever did do shed some light into the story. I for one am curious.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-29, 02:30   Link #20
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I think we'll never see a FMP sequel this way. Such a shame, cause FMP is their best series imo.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life