AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Aldnoah.Zero

Notices

Old 2014-07-21, 07:39   Link #1441
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 3

The usual questionable story elements aside I liked this episode better than last two if only for the spectacle of everything coming together at second half, thanks in no small part from the production values.

Inaho is still monotone and far from likable imo, but atleast he's starting to feel less like a plot device and more like a human. Thankfully water didn't turn out to be the actual weakness (rather it exposed it), still kinda silly that through all that fighting Inaho was only one to notice such thing, but meh it's not as if this show hasn't been fiddgy on details.

I do like that Slaine knows that Princess is alive and as well as the truth behind her assassination. I just wished he could have found out in a much less contrived way that didn't involve Lordham.

But that aside, I'm interested what he well do now, more than anyone else in this show given his unique position.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 07:55   Link #1442
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post

When did I ever say the Princess was unimportant? I have been asserting that it's her position as the princess that has been important throughout this show, and that her importance as an individual as been insignificant in comparison.
Exactly. Her Princess status is very much front and center. So it's only natural that how she comes across as a Princess and possible future ruler will play a large role in how some viewers see her.

Quote:
You're adding an additional assumption that all sheltered people are untrusting of others without being gullible at all.
Why is suspecting sheltered people to be untrusting any more assumptive than suspecting sheltered people to be gullible? Personally, I think that sheltered people in foreign lands that they've never been to before are more likely to feel keenly aware of just how sheltered they've been, and hence are more likely to be untrusting than gullible. Besides, the Princess' Episode 2 takedown of Inaho clearly lends itself to a "distrusting" interpretation more than a "gullible" one.

Quote:
I'm saying even with sentimental attachment to the Martians (whom as she as stated are people all the same like the Earthlings), Trillram's actions are still unjustified.
She doesn't know that. As I asked before, what if Trillram was given Martian intelligence indicating that there was a Terran super-weapon on board the van that he was chasing after? I mean, from her perspective, that's probably conceivable.

The Princess is just assuming that the Martian soldier has no good reason for doing what he's doing when it's not inconceivable (from her perspective) that he does have a good reason for doing what he's doing. Either way, he should be stopped of course, but assuming the worst about this Martian soldier says something about her. And at least to me (and Kazu-kun as well I suspect), it says something that ought to be delved into further and properly explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
I strongly disagree. In the absence of further evidence, we should make no assumptions about the popularity of her stance amongst the Vers Empire.
Quote:
Triple_R, you seem to be focusing a lot on Asseylum's actions not making sense from the perspective of her being a good princess. But the thing is, the empire she's the princess of are the BAD GUYS.
So we shouldn't assume that the Vers Empire are a bunch of racists, but we should assume that the Vers Empire are the BAD GUYS. So on the one hand, we should give them a huge benefit of the doubt given how the vast majority of Martian characters have been portrayed so far, but on the other hand we should give them no benefit of the doubt and view them as clear-cut BAD GUYS. Okayyyy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
While I don't actually think that Asseylum's behavior needs explaining,
Yes, nothing at all strange or out of character about a Princess who strives for peace acting downright giddy over shooting off smoke bombs against one of her people as part of a military operation against him.

Quote:
Do you think it's unreasonable for Asseylum to be able to recognize that the people who are helping her out and asking for nothing in exchange while risking their own lives (that is, the lives of the people doing the helping) to save civilians are good people?
No, I don't.

Quote:

Or is it that you think it's unreasonable for her to think that the guy who chased after a bunch of fleeing civilians, killing one of them in the process, and mockingly asked her if she was going to beg for her life is a bad person just because he's a Martian?
Wait a second... when did the Princess hear anything like that from Trillram?

In any event, what I wrote in reply to Shadow5YA above effectively addresses your question here.

Quote:
No, it would be absurd to take that position at this time. And it would be equally absurd to use what we've seen so far to infer that most civilian Martians are racist.
No, it wouldn't be equally absurd. This isn't a documentary. This is fiction. It is only natural to make inferences based on what a piece of fiction shows, and what it chooses not to show. Good writers ought to know that what they show, and what they don't show, is going to leave an impression on viewers. This is because viewers know that the fiction writer has complete control over what is shown/not shown, and so viewers naturally are looking for hints and suggestions in what is shown/not shown.

Series speculation is all about this. Its commonplace amongst anime fans, and of all people, the man who wrote Madoka Magica ought to know that.

Quote:
Triple_R, you seem to be focusing a lot on Asseylum's actions not making sense from the perspective of her being a good princess. But the thing is, the empire she's the princess of are the BAD GUYS. Being a good princess to them would make her a BAD GUY from the perspective of the viewers.
Not necessarily. I mean, if the Princess had went up to Trillram's mech, and asked him to bring her to Cruhteo in order to resolve this grave misunderstanding (i.e. end the war), would you consider her a BAD GUY for that? I certainly wouldn't consider her a BAD GUY for doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esclair View Post
Except she didn't gain her Princess status through some kind of election process where it was her abilities that got her there. She was just given the title because she inherited it through her blood.
Yeah, so what? That's standard for royalty to the point that it's practical defining of royalty and the Monarchy form of government.

Quote:
I don't think the writers need write their characters to be 'likeable' if it doesn't fit with their vision of the story, nor do I think they are going for that.
I strongly disagree as it pertains to the Princess. I think it's very clear that we're supposed to like her. And since her Princess status is put front and center, I think we're supposed to like that about her as well. Which all goes back to how it would probably be beneficial for this show, and for her character, to be presented as an admirable Princess.

Quote:
You said it should be expected that the military and civilian government be in harmony, and I suggested that using Lords/Emperors as the setting would probably give the opposite effect. It has nothing to do with whether or not the Princess is involved in the infighting.
No, it does have something to do with whether or not the Princess is involved in the infighting. If the Princess is not shown or even hinted at being involved in the infighting, then that runs counter to this "opposite effect" that you're referring to. In other words, it would serve to undermine it, if not outright negate it.

Quote:
Her giggling could be read two ways.
No, those are not the only two ways it could be read or seen. It could also be seen as a poor and/or inconsistent way of portraying her, which some of us are inclined to see it as, for reasons that ought to be perfectly understandable (read what I wrote above in part of my reply to Sute443).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You know why no one is asking why Slaine killed Trilram? It's because the series made sure we knew, beforehand, that he cares a lot about the princess. This is a example of decent storytelling. Unless there's a very specific reason not to (like in a mystery show), actions have to make sense as they happen, so the audience need to know what makes the characters tick beforehand. The reason we're having all this argument is because the show failed to do the same for the princess. You may be right that she's got a beef with the Lords. Maybe she even suspects they were behind the assassination attempt. But if that's the case, the series needed to explain that before she took actions against them.
I completely agree. Well-said.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2014-07-21 at 08:34. Reason: Refining arguments
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 08:57   Link #1443
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
By the way, has anyone discussed about the succession to the throne at Vers Empire?

Assuming that they killed the princess (which is not) by the Knights, who will succeed after Emperor Rayregalia Vers Rayvers passed away?
Quote:
Originally Posted by renuac View Post
I have a feeling that might become a plot point actually. The extra materials indicate that Asseylum is the only named heir and probably Ray Regalia's only descendant. The plot to assassinate her might have been setting up a coup on Mars as well as an excuse to invade Earth.
This was something I had brought up a couple of pages ago. The wording of the extra materials in reference to Asseylum's succession to the throne, I found odd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post

Also, one interestingly worded bit of information caught my attention.

"The first VERS Emperor is Ray Regalia, succeeded by his son Gillsaia. Princess Asseylum is Gillsaia's posthumous child. Until the second contender to the throne is announced, Asseylum remains the sole inheritor to the throne. Ray Regalia retired in 1997, but returned as the emperor after Gillsaia's death."

I thought it would be a given that Asseylum is the heir to the throne and that they were just waiting for her to come of age. Yet, they explicitly leave it open that a second contender for the throne may appear? Could their be a hidden Martian royal among our cast? Could Asseylum's not be as heir apparent, as we thought?
Why isn't Asseylum the automatic heir? So far as I can tell, the succession is thanks to lineage and Asseylum is her father's only child? Or was she?

They are indicating that a second heir could be announced to take the throne, which makes me think there might be a reveal later, that Asseylum isn't the only legal heir.

As to who would take the throne if Asseylum was actually killed? Well it would be up to the Emperor to decide how that could be done. If he has no siblings, no other children or grandchildren, it would most likely go to the next highest noble he deems worthy of the position, which would most likely be one of the knights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Bets are in one of the people who feature in the 'family picture'. In particular the guy who was behind her assassination and also considered taking out the competition with a meteor rain:

It seems a little too obvious that Saazbaum would be trying to take the throne. He's had "bad guy" written over his head since the start. Also, he didn't seem to purposefully want to take out Cruhteo. It kind of came as an after thought. He only was going to do the meteor bombardment to take out any trace of evidence against their scheme.

Also, they never said that the bombardment would "kill" Cruhteo, only that that he might consider it as an attack against him. Cruhteo's castle is probably well protected and could withstand the attack and they know this. So, the attack wouldn't even kill Cruhteo in the first place.

Also, now that Trillram is dead and the UFE gone, we don't even know if Saazbaum will even do the attack, since there's no reason really anymore. He's probably going to come at this from another angle.

Actually, I'm interested in another person from that picture. I wonder why is Slaine there? He's not a royal or a noble, and though he's the princess' tutor, that really doesn't give him a reason to be there. It could all be a coincidence and that was just the way the artwork was made, and maybe I'm looking too far into it. But...ya know...it would be real twisted, if it turns out in that Asseylum had a slightly older half-brother out there. One born from a Terran woman? And who lived on Earth with his "father" until five years ago in which they went back to Vers, and the boy was placed as his unknown half-sister's tutor?

It's silly, I know. But hey, if it happens, I called it!

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 09:04   Link #1444
Thess

Quote:
This was something I had brought up a couple of pages ago. The wording of the extra materials in reference to Asseylum's succession to the throne, I found odd:

Why isn't Asseylum the automatic heir? So far as I can tell, the succession is thanks to lineage and Asseylum is her father's only child? Or was she?

They are indicating that a second heir could be announced to take the throne, which makes me think there might be a reveal later, that Asseylum isn't the only legal heir.

As to who would take the throne if Asseylum was actually killed? Well it would be up to the Emperor to decide how that could be done. If he has no siblings, no other children or grandchildren, it would most likely go to the next highest noble he deems worthy of the position, which would most likely be one of the knights.

It seems a little too obvious that Saazbaum would be trying to take the throne. He's had "bad guy" written over his head since the start. Also, he didn't seem to purposefully want to take out Cruhteo. It kind of came as an after thought. He only was going to do the meteor bombardment to take out any trace of evidence against their scheme.

Also, they never said that the bombardment would "kill" Cruhteo, only that that he might consider it as an attack against him. Cruhteo's castle is probably well protected and could withstand the attack and they know this. So, the attack wouldn't even kill Cruhteo in the first place.

Also, now that Trillram is dead and the UFE gone, we don't even know if Saazbaum will even do the attack, since there's no reason really anymore. He's probably going to come at this from another angle.

Actually, I'm interested in another person from that picture. I wonder why is Slaine there? He's not a royal or a noble, and though he's the princess' tutor, that really doesn't give him a reason to be there. It could all be a coincidence and that was just the way the artwork was made, and maybe I'm looking too far into it. But...ya know...it would be real twisted, if it turns out in that Asseylum had a slightly older half-brother out there. One born from a Terran woman? And who lived on Earth with his "father" until five years ago in which they went back to Vers, and the boy was placed as his unknown half-sister's tutor?

It's silly, I know. But hey, it it happens, I called it!
Unlikely, because her father died during the war (before she was born). It's possible that Slaine is related to her grandfather, the reasons of Slaine's father's mysterious 'switch sides' which aren't disclosed. His father could have been the Emperor's nephew, for instance or older son who remained on Earth. However, I doubt he would let a relative be treated like a dog so it's still far-fetched. I think he's there because he's "adopted" in a way by Cruhteo and he's one of the main characters.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 09:08   Link #1445
Syan48306
Forgotten Lurker

Quote:
Unlikely, because her father died during the war (before she was born). It's possible that Slaine is related to her grandfather, the reasons of Slaine's father's mysterious 'switch sides' which aren't disclosed. His father could have been the Emperor's nephew, for instance or older son who remained on Earth. However, I doubt he would let a relative be treated like a dog so it's still far-fetched. I think he's there because he's "adopted" in a way by Cruhteo and he's one of the main characters.

Didn't they say Slaine was from a captured ship?

Then again, that doesn't really mean much either way as if he was just a regular human, they probably would have killed him already.
Syan48306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 09:10   Link #1446
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post
Didn't they say Slaine was from a captured ship?

Then again, that doesn't really mean much either way as if he was just a regular human, they probably would have killed him already.
No. His father was a researcher who switched sides (for an "unknown reason") way after the war ended, during 2009. He took his son with him. They are immigrants.

I forgot to add, they could be related to the maternal side too, either from her mother or grandmother, if they had siblings left on Earth. That's a bit more likely possibility because he wouldn't be connected to the Emperor to warrant special ~divine~ treatment.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2014-07-21, 09:19   Link #1447
Irenesharda

Quote:
Who knows how her father lived, but he was killed right at the end of the war in 1999, the same year she was born. Do we have ages for these kids yet? Asseylum is about 14/15 depending on when her birthday is. Inaho and Slaine seem to be a little older than her. There's nothing to say, Asseylum's father didn't have any bastard children before her birth. It's always a possibility.

Also "adopted" by Cruhteo is a bit of strong word. Cruhteo sneers at him every time they are in the same room. It's more like Slaine is a servant he was stuck with because the powers that be took a liking to the boy and stuck him under his care. Also, despite being considered like a dog, Slaine's been given the job of being the princess' tutor. That's a pretty big honor they'd give to a simple Terran boy, especially considering the way they view Terrans. I doubt that it was the desires of a ten-year old princess, that saved his and his father's lives and gave them such high position jobs. I mean, think about it. These are Terran refugees, people that the Martians couldn't think less of, and yet they get to be around the royal family?

I know it's far-fetched, but it's still possible.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-21, 09:21   Link #1448
renuac

Quote:

Yeah, I actually meant to quote your post but got distracted, sorry ^^ About the wording, it doesn't necessarily have to have any sinister meaning; it might just be drawing attention to the fact that the Vers empire is in the extremely unusual situation of having only an heirt to the throne and no spare, since normally any royal family would have plenty of siblings, cousins, uncles, second-cousins-three-times-removed and whatnot waiting in line after the heir presumptive. And that that heir's death would be likely to cause chaos in Vers' political structure. But the idea of Asseylum having an unknown relative is certainly an intriguing possibility.

(And as unlikely as it is, it would be hilarious if your guess turns out to be correct.)

Quote:

Agreed that Saazbaum is a bit too obvious. And that his relationship with Crutheo needs delving into. The Vers empire in general needs delving into because right now, it's still almost a complete mystery. Is Saazbaum working with someone back on Mars?

Everything about that picture is strange, honestly. Were Crutheo and Saazbaum making regular back-and-forths between the moon and Mars during the past fifteen years? Are they that chummy with the emperor? Where are Asseylum's mother or Slaine's father? And yeah, what is Slaine even doing there? As you say, it's probably reading too much into a promotional image, but it's an odd choice of characters nonetheless and one that seems to indicate that those two earls have a lot of influence.
renuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 09:33   Link #1449
Thess

Quote:
Also "adopted" by Cruhteo is a bit of strong word. Cruhteo sneers at him every time they are in the same room. It's more like Slaine is a servant he was stuck with because the powers that be took a liking to the boy and stuck him under his care. Also, despite being considered like a dog, Slaine's been given the job of being the princess' tutor. That's a pretty big honor they'd give to a simple Terran boy, especially considering the way they view Terrans. I doubt that it was the desires of a ten-year old princess, that saved his and his father's lives and gave them such high position jobs. I mean, think about it. These are Terran refugees, people that the Martians couldn't think less of, and yet they get to be around the royal family?

That's why I said "adopted" and not adopted. Actually, we haven't seen him deal with Slaine yet in normal basis, because it's possible that his relationship with Asseylum is the source of that tension, so I will not make assumptions until we see them interact when she's not involved. You should note that Trillram treated him more as a comrade who should take joy and be aware of the circumstances (he lost his temper because he was not thinking like a noble, so he was "slow" rather than assume he was just a "dumb Terran dog"). Yes, he was condescending, but he seemly thought it should be natural for Slaine to do this, plus reproached Crutheo for not teaching him properly how to conduct himself in battle.

It's possible his father's research was important, you know. He's mentioned as a researcher.

Also, Slaine's sixteen. It's in a promotional image. If you wanted to know his age, he's at least a year older than Asseylum.

Quote:
Everything about that picture is strange, honestly. Were Crutheo and Saazbaum making regular back-and-forths between the moon and Mars during the past fifteen years? Are they that chummy with the emperor? Where are Asseylum's mother or Slaine's father? And yeah, what is Slaine even doing there? As you say, it's probably reading too much into a promotional image, but it's an odd choice of characters nonetheless and one that seems to indicate that those two earls have a lot of influence.
It's an image about the most important characters in Mars. I don't see it as odd at all. The dad and mother are missing because they aren't relevant.

Old 2014-07-21, 09:43   Link #1450
Irenesharda

Quote:
Agreed that Saazbaum is a bit too obvious. And that his relationship with Crutheo needs delving into. The Vers empire in general needs delving into because right now, it's still almost a complete mystery. Is Saazbaum working with someone back on Mars?

Yeah, we do need to see more of Mars and the Vers Empire. It's easy to have a bunch of aristocrats as pricks, but what about the little people? Looking at Asseylum's maid, even the lower classes think their better than Terrans. However, she's linked to the royal family. Will we get to see what regular Martians think?

We know Slaine's father (if it is his father ) is dead. That was pretty much stated in the first episode. Asseylum's mother on the other hand, I'm guessing is dead since they is never any mention of her, but we'll have to see if they show her later.

And I'm betting all 37 of the knights go back and forth from Mars. They have to resupply their castles somehow, and they seem to be on the cusp of Martian government, so they obviously stay in contact.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-21, 09:54   Link #1451
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Hmm, I don't think Gen Urobuchi nor A-1 Pictures would show what's happening within Mars, especially common Martians given that Aldnoah.Zero is a 12-episode anime series (for now, at least).

I think the important thing they would show us is what's happening on Earth at the moment.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 10:02   Link #1452
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I want to see resistance, insurgency and assymmetrical warfare action. V-style.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 10:07   Link #1453
Arya

Quote:

It's silly, I know. But hey, if it happens, I called it!
mmm, ok, it'd look a bit too much similar to Star Wars (and Gundam SEED), still this show so far has let the viewers to guess right with their hypothesis on minor issues, so I wouldn't be surprised by it. I loved how they hinted hard at the water and then the water was yes a plot point, but not in the way it was speculated.
If anything the only problem I see would come from the shipping factions, since so far Slaine and the Princess seem to be portrayed as main couple.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 10:11   Link #1454
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Hmm, I don't think Gen Urobuchi nor A-1 Pictures would show what's happening within Mars, especially common Martians given that Aldnoah.Zero is a 12-episode anime series (for now, at least).

I think the important thing they would show us is what's happening on Earth at the moment.
I believe it's been confirmed as a split-cour series. Also, they kind of have to show us Mars eventually. The Emperor is a named character, though I don't think his voice actor has been announced yet, and he's obviously on Mars.

Now, whether they show us the normal everyday people of Mars, probably not. We might get some crowd shots, but that's it. I would like it if they did, but I doubt it too. Although, I'm guessing Wolf Areash and his compatriots could be seen as an example of the lower class Martian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
mmm, ok, it'd look a bit too much similar to Star Wars (and Gundam SEED), still this show so far has let the viewers to guess right with their hypothesis on minor issues, so I wouldn't be surprised by it. I loved how they hinted hard at the water and then the water was yes a plot point, but not in the way it was speculated.
If anything the only problem I see would come from the shipping factions, since so far Slaine and the Princess seem to be portrayed as main couple.
That's what would make it hilarious. However, I'm not really concerned about shipping. There were some that shipped Kira and Cagali back before they were revealed as twins, but it became obvious what the pairings would be really early on, so it didn't go much of anywhere.

As for these two, the fact that the pairing of Slaine and Asseylum was so obviously shown in the very start of episode one, is why I have a feeling it won't work out so well in the end. Some way or another, I think there might be a switch up. Right now, the three parings they have hinted are Slaine and Asseylum, Inaho and Inko, and Marito and Yuki. I however, think there is definitely going to be some shuffling around as the series goes on and characters die off.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2014-07-21, 10:32   Link #1455
Arya

Quote:
That's what would make it hilarious. However, I'm not really concerned about shipping. There were some that shipped Kira and Cagali back before they were revealed as twins, but it became obvious what the pairings would be really early on, so it didn't go much of anywhere.

As for these two, the fact that the pairing of Slaine and Asseylum was so obviously shown in the very start of episode one, is why I have a feeling it won't work out so well in the end. Some way or another, I think there might be a switch up. Right now, the three parings they have hinted are Slaine and Asseylum, Inaho and Inko, and Marito and Yuki. I however, think there is definitely going to be some shuffling around as the series goes on and characters die off.
I would find it hilarious too I 'd like to see some references here and there, but re-written with a touch of humor, like the princess that started as a pacifist but the moment she took a grenade launcher in her hands and fired it she smiled like a baby. (it's yet to be seen if they did it purposely or not, but it was hilarious nonetheless ).

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 10:40   Link #1456
ImperialKnight

Quote:

I know it's far-fetched, but it's still possible.
Not really. In ancient Rome many of the teachers and tutors around that time were slaves who were employed even in higher levels of education.

Quote:

Actually that might be one reason why he wants to bomb them as soon as possible before they escape.

Plus he said contact may be cut off afterwards so he wouldn't know.
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 11:06   Link #1457
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
Not really. In ancient Rome many of the teachers and tutors around that time were slaves who were employed even in higher levels of education.
A hilariously stupid move if you think about it.

This is the same reason why people today will freak out if you try to introduce any form of something they consider controversial into a school. If children are exposed to it, they'll quickly realize that adults were full of shit.

That's why you don't let your princessu be indoctrinated by the Terran scum!

At any rate, I'll gladly bend my knee to a princess who can give such a beautiful smile whilst firing a grenade launcher. o7
Old 2014-07-21, 11:15   Link #1458
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
A hilariously stupid move if you think about it.
It's really not. Their form of primary education basically centered grammar and rhetoric usually through a number of classical preselected texts. There was very little in the ways of political education. It's why they employed foreign (usually Greek) slaves to teach their children so they could learn Greek, which was considered more prestigious in those days. I guess in a ways it's similar to how the Royals in A/Z employed Slaine.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 11:24   Link #1459
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
The princess was always shown from the start to be sympathetic or at least not as hostile to the terrans. For all we know, this isn't the first or last assassination attempt on her and she knows a bit more than she lets on. That's just speculation, but then again I don't really call the drop on shows when it's clear things aren't what they seem.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-21, 12:28   Link #1460
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Which leads to the question why was Cruchteo so upset with a lesson if this was Slaine's assignment? Because he looked pretty displeased when he interrupted them the first time. Food for thought.

Edit: Actually, he trusted him enough to assign him as Trillram's pilot too in a very critical mission. So he seems to place some trust on him.
I doubt it's actually trust. It seems more like they discount the possibility that Slaine could have any agency of his own. Like when Trillram told Slaine that he was trying to kill the princess and then was shocked when Slaine turned against him. Trillram didn't trust Slaine, he simply didn't consider that the Terran might do something the Trillram, a mighty Martian knight, didn't want him to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So we shouldn't assume that the Vers Empire are a bunch of racists, but we should assume that the Vers Empire are the BAD GUYS. So on the one hand, we should give them a huge benefit of the doubt given how the vast majority of Martian characters have been portrayed so far, but on the other hand we should give them no benefit of the doubt and view them as clear-cut BAD GUYS. Okayyyy....
Martian civilians. Martian knights. These are two different groups. How is that hard to understand? Discounting the terrorists (because they were working for the knights), the only Martian civilians we've seen have been the princess and her attendant. That's nowhere near a big enough sample to say that the Martian civilians are racist.

As for the Martian knights, they were willing to defy imperial orders so that they'd have another chance at waging war against Earth. They declared war within (apparently) hours, without waiting for an investigation of the assassination to be performed. They focused their attacks on major civilian centers and attacked with the force of nuclear weapons. Since you seem to like looking at things from a meta-level you should be able to recognize that those are major signals for who the bad guys are.

Quote:
Yes, nothing at all strange or out of character about a Princess who strives for peace acting downright giddy over shooting off smoke bombs against one of her people as part of a military operation against him.
Nothing odd at all about someone trained in combat to think it's fun to fire a neat weapon in a way that doesn't cause any direct harm.

Quote:
Wait a second... when did the Princess hear anything like that from Trillram?
Episode 3, 17:37-40. You can tell he's broadcasting it outside of his cataphract because of the effects applied to his voice.

"Migurushii na. Nimo ni natte, inochi wo oite ha."

Basically, "How unsightly. Reaching out (to me) to leave you with your life."

For comparison, Asseylum's lines to him were:

"Hikaenasai!" = Pull back/withdraw.

"Me ni amaru rouzeki, yurushimasen," = I will not permit such violence within my sight.

"Vers daiichi ojou no na ni oite," = In the name of the first princess of Vers.

"Sagarinasai! Bureimono!" = Stand down, you insolent!

I'd also like to note that if Trillram HAD withdrawn as Asseylum ordered, he might not have been in position to be hit by the attack.

Quote:
In any event, what I wrote in reply to Shadow5YA above effectively addresses your question here.
Quote:
The Princess is just assuming that the Martian soldier has no good reason for doing what he's doing when it's not inconceivable (from her perspective) that he does have a good reason for doing what he's doing. Either way, he should be stopped of course, but assuming the worst about this Martian soldier says something about her.
You seem to be forgetting just how far below them the Martian knights consider Earth's people to be. They behave like Earth doesn't HAVE a valid military, so how could they have a good military reason for going after the vehicle? A secret superweapon? Please refer to the first sentence of this paragraph.

Quote:
No, it wouldn't be equally absurd. This isn't a documentary. This is fiction. It is only natural to make inferences based on what a piece of fiction shows, and what it chooses not to show. Good writers ought to know that what they show, and what they don't show, is going to leave an impression on viewers. This is because viewers know that the fiction writer has complete control over what is shown/not shown, and so viewers naturally are looking for hints and suggestions in what is shown/not shown.

Series speculation is all about this. Its commonplace amongst anime fans, and of all people, the man who wrote Madoka Magica ought to know that.
You do realize that they've thus far had less than two hours to show us everything that's happened, right? They have to prioritize the information we're given. And right now, the events happening on Earth are more important to convey to the audience than the reaction on Mars.

And on a side note, I really hate looking at fiction from a meta-perspective.

Quote:
Not necessarily. I mean, if the Princess had went up to Trillram's mech, and asked him to bring her to Cruhteo in order to resolve this grave misunderstanding (i.e. end the war), would you consider her a BAD GUY for that? I certainly wouldn't consider her a BAD GUY for doing that.
Oh, so that's your standard for her being a good princess? It had sounded like your standard was that she try to make excuses for the Martian side. My apologies for the misunderstanding there.

In that case, Asseylum is a good princess by your standards. She went up to Trillram's mech at the first chance she got and she tried to talk him down. If Trillram had been a good knight, he would have been the one to suggest taking her to Cruchteo to end the war.

Quote:
No, those are not the only two ways it could be read or seen. It could also be seen as a poor and/or inconsistent way of portraying her, which some of us are inclined to see it as, for reasons that ought to be perfectly understandable (read what I wrote above in part of my reply to Sute443).
When given the option between finding an in-universe explanation for an event (It was fun to fire a neat weapon in a way that didn't hurt anyone) and an out-of-universe explanation (bad writing), it's typically better to wait until the show is over before resorting to the out-of-universe explanation
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, sci-fi