AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2022-01-10, 18:04   Link #3681
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm happy Vice got a power-up too this time.
Old 2022-01-12, 23:03   Link #3682
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I posted this video not just because I love Ryuki but this is such a breakneck & thorough review of these figures (half of which are P-Bandai expensive) that worth checking out:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2022-01-16, 07:46   Link #3683
kiak666

Damn, Volcano Rex's side effect is outright brutal. Thankfully Ikki and Vice manage to get in sync by the end of the episode.

Orteca just show how much of an asshole he is yet again. On the other hand, this episode also shows that Aguilera somewhat cares for Julio.

Next week will be a Hiromi centric episode.
kiak666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-16, 18:02   Link #3684
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Revice is holding up pretty well so far. Ikki and Vice are a cool duo and the supporting characters are great. Cool action this week, too.
Old 2022-01-16, 20:42   Link #3685
justavisitor

This week's episode (18th) is very solid! The last time a villain killed a bystander on screen so ruthlessly was...exaid ??

Glad that KR is still finding ways to produce al high quality episode!!
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-17, 06:15   Link #3686
iko_uwais

Olteca just keep increasing his despicability. Probably gotta end up as the series' premier irredeemable villain
iko_uwais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-18, 06:22   Link #3687
iko_uwais

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

New trailer for OOO sequel v-cinema
Old 2022-01-19, 06:41   Link #3688
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Question for you veterans...

While I've only seen Amazons, Revice and working on OOOs, can I assume that there's an antagonist relationship between the Rider and their source of power? Granted, Amazons was more the Riders were against each other simply due to how the Riders were created (though I suppose that counts too?), but for both OOOs and Revice, the Rider is constantly in conflict with the non-human entity that gives them their power. Not only that, but the conflict is centered around human morality and what it means to be human. Is this a central theme of the Riders series, or do I just happen to be watching series where this occurs?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-19, 07:16   Link #3689
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Question for you veterans...

While I've only seen Amazons, Revice and working on OOOs, can I assume that there's an antagonist relationship between the Rider and their source of power?
The very first/core concept of Kamen Rider is that the hero of the story had his body (unwillingly) modified by the evil organization for evil purposes. Kamen Rider or the Grasshopper-kaijin is supposed to be evil but the hero managed to break away from said evil organization and uses his monstrous powers for good.

In other words, Kamen Riders are basically the same as the monsters they are fighting but the riders use their powers to save & help people. That KR concept predates even Devilman & Blade manga/comics.

Quote:
Granted, Amazons was more the Riders were against each other simply due to how the Riders were created (though I suppose that counts too?), but for both OOOs and Revice, the Rider is constantly in conflict with the non-human entity that gives them their power. Not only that, but the conflict is centered around human morality and what it means to be human. Is this a central theme of the Riders series, or do I just happen to be watching series where this occurs?
Each show (especially Heisei & Reiwa) basically have different takes on the core concept that I said above. Generally speaking for most KR protags, being a Kamen Rider is both a curse & a blessing. But there are also ones where they gladly accept their KR-roles.

Not every KR show has co-protag character like Ankh in KR OOO who learned how to be human along the way. In many Showa KR shows, the people who gave Kamen Riders their powers are the villainous organizations themselves.
Old 2022-01-19, 08:47   Link #3690
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
While I've only seen Amazons, Revice and working on OOOs, can I assume that there's an antagonist relationship between the Rider and their source of power?
Yes. KR core concept is "using power of evil to defeat evil" as told by Obelisk.

Quote:
Not only that, but the conflict is centered around human morality and what it means to be human. Is this a central theme of the Riders series, or do I just happen to be watching series where this occurs?
Showa Riders got history of struggling with "Can I blended with the society?" (Nigo) or "Can I return to my normal life?" (V3) as their protagonist are cyborgs that going through the surgery without their consent; there were some that optimistic such as OG Amazon and Super One that believes being cyborg means they can help more than normal human capable of so their conflict is more to how to inspire people. Might as well saying its the second core concept after "using power of evil to defeat evil" as Heisei Riders clearly inherited it:

- Shinji is naive by first half of Ryuki, capable to make his own decision by second half of Ryuki after various encounter with terrible people.
- Takumi is bad at socializing and consider being Rider is PITA, finally accept being called as the "true owner of 555 system" after befriending idealists like Mari and Kiba.
- Hajime character arc in Blade is definitely centered about what it means to be human, while Mutsuki character arc is questioning morality of his action.

I think outlier to "learn about being human" is Godai (Kuuga) as he's based on philosophy of mastering Void being peak martial arts (Godai means five elements, you need to free yourself from desire to perfectly control Ultimate Kuuga), while Ankh is outlier to "using power of evil to defeat evil" storytelling for being sidekick to Eiji.

Old 2022-01-19, 22:49   Link #3691
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Fascinating.

I admit that when I was much younger, I certainly enjoyed other tokusatsu works- more specifically, the English version of Power Rangers (Or would we call that the bastardized version of Super Sentai?)

The fact that Kamen Rider's core concept is much darker- using the power of evil to defeat evil and its moral implications- certainly appeals to me more as an adult.

Old 2022-01-20, 02:36   Link #3692
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Fascinating.

I admit that when I was much younger, I certainly enjoyed other tokusatsu works- more specifically, the English version of Power Rangers (Or would we call that the bastardized version of Super Sentai?)

The fact that Kamen Rider's core concept is much darker- using the power of evil to defeat evil and its moral implications- certainly appeals to me more as an adult.
If you interested there's Go-Busters for Super Sentai that aiming for older audiences.
It got solid casts and writing, sadly treated negatively by Japanese audience due to lack of sentai tropes involved following how Shinkenger and Gokaiger considered by majority as bar of good modern Super Sentai until now. Writing team, being chad, answered the complaints with comedy movie that portray what if the series embrace sentai tropes to maximum.

A hilarious movie even without prior knowledge about plot, only need you to be familiar enough with sentai tropes and aware that Go-Busters is sentai with serious tone.

Nowadays I think both sides are learning how to increase quality of their storytelling.
Sentai tried playing in border of "entertainment that doesn't require you thinking much" after each of Shinken, Gokai and Go-Busters reception.
Meanwhile Kamen Rider tried how to appeal younger audience, if possible female too, after unexpected success that is Den-O. Kiva and Fourze are the most notable example of their experiment (Kiva trying to appeal female audience with bishonen protagonist, while Fourze hired TTGL writer for unique 'springtime of youth' protagonist).

For now, I'd say OOO and Revice did good job delivering series that everyone can enjoy.
Old 2022-01-20, 03:24   Link #3693
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
On that note, you may want to also check out the Garo franchise, if you aren't already.
Old 2022-01-20, 08:17   Link #3694
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
On that note, you may want to also check out the Garo franchise, if you aren't already.
I would definitely recommend as well it if you want mature tokusatsu. The Kouga series at least are a must watch.
Old 2022-01-20, 20:44   Link #3695
justavisitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
If you interested there's Go-Busters for Super Sentai that aiming for older audiences.
Finally someone says how underrated Go-Buster is.

This is probably the only tokusatsu that handles the theory of teleportation really well. Why bad guy never teleports into the base of the good guys? Because the good guys know they are supposed to build a secret base!! Now you take a look at ultraman trigger and you just wanna face palm sometimes... Go-Buster is probably the most realistic tokusatsu you can find. Too bad kids in Japan are not interested

Garo is another good serious show. I like season 1, 2, and 3 (3 is a completely different story) after that, hmm...could be better.

I only watched 000 once, and think it's kind of bland...don't know why it gets so much hyped lately. Maybe one day I will re-watch it and see if I missed anything. But if I absolutely have to pick a serious show to watch, I will pick ex-aid and build before ooo
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 22:55   Link #3696
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Garo kinda hit or miss for me.

Kouga (S1) is good, but the sequel (S2) felt unfocused to what the core problem is.
Movie that serve as Kouga's Epilogue spent too much time on artistic value instead of story.

Ryuga (S3) did great job of delivering more realistic conflict, if I must say, its like "real robot" to Kouga's "super robot" storytelling.
However just like Go-Busters, Japanese audience complaint, "Not the Garo I knew", leading to S4 protagonist being Raiga, Kouga son and S5 got Ryuga retconned into Ryuga-verse and made him looks like Kouga instead of proper S2 & S3 continuation. This is what lead most outlier idea about Garo mostly goes to anime instead of live action, making Versus Road a weird bet on restoring Garo franchise.

Funny story, the only person come out more popular from S5 is Kamen Rider Decade actor.
Him being main antagonist of S5 made people joking about Garo being one of DCD alternate universe. LOL.

You could say Decade screenplay, delivery of attitude, in Zi-O is based on how the actor act as antagonist in Garo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavisitor View Post
Finally someone says how underrated Go-Buster is.

This is probably the only tokusatsu that handles the theory of teleportation really well. Why bad guy never teleports into the base of the good guys? Because the good guys know they are supposed to build a secret base!! Now you take a look at ultraman trigger and you just wanna face palm sometimes... Go-Buster is probably the most realistic tokusatsu you can find. Too bad kids in Japan are not interested
I come into it because of its bad reputation, LOL.

I'm curious about how bad this sentai because Japanese deemed it bad and I'm not attached to Fourze that airing on same time.
Turned out found gold instead. It got what I looking for from sentai lines, boldness and bravery to do more serious, well-written sentai. A comedy movie that playing on sentai trope is excellent cherry on the top.

OOO got strong fanbase in Japan for its characterization.
Eiji, Ankh, Hina and Date are popular not only among children but adult as well.

Last edited by Tactics; 2022-01-20 at 23:48.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-21, 04:30   Link #3697
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

I would assume that OOO has such strong popularity because it's an easy starting point. Let's be honest, the amount of Rider series is... staggering. So you want to know where to start, and between OOO or W, both are great gateway series. Plus, as one of y'all mentioned, Ikki and Eiji have similar personalities, and I'd say Revice is pretty good as well (ignoring that there's multiple Riders, but I don't know enough to know when that particular change happened)

On a side note, I did some research... and the first Kamen rider i TECHNICALLY watched (meaning all of ten minutes or so of an episode)... was the US bastardization (or at least, I'm assuming they bastardized it per usual) of Ryuki. Or as they decided to call it in English, Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight. Probably will get around to that series sometime too.

Old 2022-01-23, 18:14   Link #3698
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So the reason Hiromi's been dying is that the Demons driver literally has a demon in it who has been feeding on his life force. Also explains why Olteca wants to get his hands on it.

Olteca considers himself the good guy, which is some bullshit, but Fenix is obviously extremely shady and probably evil as well.
Old 2022-01-24, 05:55   Link #3699
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Well, I've only seen a tiny bit of Kamen Rider, and the other vibe I get from it is "Don't trust the organization that's supposedly been helping you; they have ulterior motives". I can say for certain that in Amazons and OOOs, the President of the organization had more than just a few screws loose; I don't see why Revice would buck that trend.

Old 2022-01-24, 08:36   Link #3700
iko_uwais

Quote:
Well, I've only seen a tiny bit of Kamen Rider, and the other vibe I get from it is "Don't trust the organization that's supposedly been helping you; they have ulterior motives". I can say for certain that in Amazons and OOOs, the President of the organization had more than just a few screws loose; I don't see why Revice would buck that trend.
Though for OOO, the organization is eventually proven to be benevolent even if Kogami and Satonaka are a bit eccentric. Goto is a good guy through and through

Tags
henshin, kamen rider, tokusatsu