AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-10-27, 17:59   Link #201
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Ok, I just got my hands on ViZ's version of Claymore Volume 19.

First off, there is no date in the back for volume 20... so my guess would be at least June next year. Though time will tell...

I've only done a single quick read of it, so here was my first impressions vs the scans (volume 19 contains chapters 101-107). Chapters 101 -103 where ok, they seemed more literal translations of each panel but once or twice they didn't quite seem to flow right to me. No once again, I only did a quick read of it...

Now more importantly though is chapters 104 on... why is it more important? Well some of us may recall the shakeup that happened then when the biggest manga website went down and almost all the scan groups just died over night that did Claymore back then, save one. From ch 104 of until recently the big new scan group to do Claymore only had a single translator translating every series on that sight at once (a huge work load), so often it was rushed and errors where spotted by many fans and later by lesser known scan group(s).

So for the first two chapters after 103 (104 and 105) I felt where about on par with the main scans we got back then just after the shack up (nothing seemed wrong with it but nothing better either at first glace... then again I forget if there was any big errors with the scan on those first 2 chapters), however on my first impression chapters 106 and 107 I found ViZs version where far better (upon reading ViZ's take I found myself agreeing with something I recall Gooral saying about Rubel sounding very sympathetic or something like that in the chapters). Overall the chapters just made more sense (likely due way less errors for one)... then again this could just be rereading it in hindsight.

I'm going to be rereading both the scans from every group of these chapters and ViZs Claymore volume 19 again now... and that's where I'm going to nit pick trivial details

However, just for the lack of errors vs the scans the volume is a definite buy I'd recommend.
Old 2011-10-27, 21:16   Link #202
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

So long as it isn't a horrendous TL like Bleach or a crapshot edit job, then it should be on the shelf of every fan.
Old 2011-10-27, 22:35   Link #203
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
So long as it isn't a horrendous TL like Bleach or a crapshot edit job, then it should be on the shelf of every fan.
^I agree , but some people need extra encouragement
Old 2011-12-04, 22:01   Link #204
Domvina

I've held off on buying the manga. I know it will be heresy to say but I'm not usually into mangas. However, I ran across a few volumes of Claymore at my local Barnes & Noble over the weekend (1, 11, and 13). It's one thing to stop yourself from ordering something. It's another when it's right in front of you.

So I bought them. And ended up ordering 2-4 as well.

Having read volume 1 I'm glad the manga and anime have key differences. I don't feel like I'm re-reading what I've seen. Only filling in the missing bits and getting additional information.

I'm looking forward to eventually catching up.
Domvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 22:44   Link #205
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Welcome to the "I Wish They'd Re-do the Anime" club!
Old 2011-12-05, 09:19   Link #206
Domvina

Oh, I've read and seen enough literature turned to movies to release the notion of a "page by page" translation to the screen. I'm actually glad when there are variations as it makes both (usually) worthwhile.

One informs and enriches the other. At least, that's how I try to view it.
Old 2011-12-06, 05:49   Link #207
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

You won't think that when you see how badly the anime butchered the last few episodes.
Old 2011-12-06, 10:19   Link #208
Domvina

I cheated a bit and went ahead and read Chapter 11 (though I was already aware of the significant changes between the anime and the manga).

I just don't look at it the same way. The ending is different in the anime, yes. A bit cliche, sure. But if you're an animation house with no idea if there will be a second season you need to create a relatively satisfying conclusion but with enough "wiggle room" for adding a second season. I feel Madhouse did so.

That's just my opinion.
Old 2011-12-06, 11:31   Link #209
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

They totally did not. Catch up to the manga and you'll know why. They should have left it on with a cliffhanger like the manga and if anyone wanted to know what happened, let them read the manga.
Old 2011-12-06, 20:59   Link #210
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domvina View Post
I just don't look at it the same way. The ending is different in the anime, yes. A bit cliche, sure. But if you're an animation house with no idea if there will be a second season you need to create a relatively satisfying conclusion but with enough "wiggle room" for adding a second season. I feel Madhouse did so.

That's just my opinion.
The Claymore anime is one of the worst anime original endings in this regard, they burned both the bridges in front of them and behind them in regards to the manga.

If they planned on continuing the Claymore anime, they would basically need to re-do the last 5-6 episodes.
Old 2011-12-06, 21:59   Link #211
Domvina

Well, since I've only begun reading the manga obviously I'm at a disadvantage in any debates over the endings and how the story could be picked up should a second season materialize.

Perhaps in a few months time when I've caught up we can revisit the discussion.
Old 2011-12-07, 02:28   Link #212
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domvina View Post
I cheated a bit and went ahead and read Chapter 11 (though I was already aware of the significant changes between the anime and the manga).

That's just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
They totally did not. Catch up to the manga and you'll know why. They should have left it on with a cliffhanger like the manga and if anyone wanted to know what happened, let them read the manga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
The Claymore anime is one of the worst anime original endings in this regard, they burned both the bridges in front of them and behind them in regards to the manga.

If they planned on continuing the Claymore anime, they would basically need to re-do the last 5-6 episodes.
There are several ways they could repair the continuity issues between the anime ending and the ongoing manga. They could do as Fenrir suggests, which would be the ideal solution, but that would add extra production costs. Instead, a more cost-effective solution would be to start season two with a dream sequence, with new footage strategically added in to show what really happened seven years ago... Clare reuniting with Raki after fighting Priscilla was only a dream mixed in with a bit of reality.

While far from ideal, if done correctly, it could work quite well with minimal overhead cost.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-28, 21:44   Link #213
SpiritOfGray
Karateka

Did anyone else notice that while Miria is fighting the twins on pg. 176 of volume 19, Miria refers to the one twin as a male?

"If his arm fully heals and they both attack me again, I'm in trouble."

Not a big deal or anything...
Old 2011-12-29, 09:07   Link #214
Gooral
Banned

lol
It's a shame that Viz couldn't/can't just pay 10sigh/gernot and use their translations. It would be cheaper for Viz and better for readers. Also, don't they have a proofreader? That's rather obvious mistake there.
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 15:30   Link #215
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

They probably employ someone who just checks it for grammar errors and not for something like that. Tsk, tsk Viz.
Old 2012-01-13, 09:42   Link #216
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Amazon just posted the release date of Claymore volume 20 as July 3rd 2012. This sucks... I was planning on driving out of state to get some powerful fireworks than what is allowed in my state around that date, hopefully my local store gets it early so I can keep up the tradition I've done for years.
Old 2012-02-19, 17:27   Link #217
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Just found out Barnes and Noble is selling Claymore in ebook form for $4.99 per volume, couldnt find it on Amazon though... so until Barnes and Noble goes international (which according to the New York Times they're trying to do right now) you can likely only get it if you live in the US (or wait for them to go international).

Now to rate all of them 5 stars...
Old 2012-02-19, 19:17   Link #218
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Barnes and Noble's is not international? Wow, all this time I thought they were....they're basically the premier book-selling store in the USA for years .
Old 2012-02-29, 19:52   Link #219
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Pretty fight by the looks of the Chinese scans but it serious needs a translation. Cassandra goes from seconds away from death to seemingly pulling a "I fooled you" after a scene jump.

I think she just regenerated really fast but not sure.

Roxanne's blades seem to be toned down versions of the Destroyers ability... so she's less creative than I fist hoped and Yagi is just cycling abilities... *sigh. Well, on the plus side she's littered the ground with so many blades that theoretically Cassandra might cut open her own backside if she swings over or gets shoved on any.

Roxanne hasn't taken any damage though so, assuming Hysteria doesn't get involved in there fight (big if) the fight would come down to how long Cassandra can keep regenerating vs how long Roxanne can keep making more blades... another factor would be of Cassandra can close distance and get inside Roxanne's whips or if Roxanne can score a precise hit on a vital area of Cassandra.
Old 2012-02-29, 20:18   Link #220
fraktur
extraordinary freak storm

now that ms dropped claymore, gernot might release his translation as soon as he's done with it.

rough critic, only considering the pictures:

- deneve talks
- hysteria the blonde seems another appropriate title for the former no 1. she really is braindead.
- mirias plan seemed to have worked...
- ...only to backfire next chapter (protip: no one is surprised anymore if you pull this shit so often, yagi...)

+ we finally see abyssals fight
+ their fight isn't one sided
- but somehow still disappointing :/
+ contrary to ryus statement roxanne has taken damage (her head got bitten)

i hope next chapter starts with a close-up of mud. then as the "camera" progresses to zoom out we see that it's not really mud but a smashed claymore. next few panels show the ghosts devastated and crying. then a flashback: while miria tried to flee cassandra accidently stepped on her. hysteria is like lolwut but doesn't really give a fuck.
fraktur is offline   Reply With Quote