Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2020-09-22, 02:16   Link #41
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
14 is just awesome. Love it. Wasn’t there for the 1.0 era though.
You didn't miss much.

The original creators probably had a very different story in mind, something that was more similar to the different series of quests for each of the three major nations in FFXI. A part of me still wishes that Yoshi-P and crew didn't nuke that original concept so thoroughly.

The overall story concepts for each major iteration of FFXIV since "A Realm Reborn" have been hit-or-miss for me personally. While I certainly appreciate the high-fantasy scale, scope and grandeur of "Heavensward" and "Shadowbringers", personally it's the more low-key stories from "A Realm Reborn" and "Stormblood" that resonated much more strongly with me.

At this point, it's too soon to tell which direction FFXVI will go. As a huge fan of FF-Tactics and FFXII, I would be thrilled if the story of FFXVI delves more deeply into the moral dilemmas and political intrigue (Yoshi-P is a great admirer of Yasumi Matsuno's work on the Ivalice series) of its world. That's the kind of content I personally find very compelling, but who am I kidding? The average Final Fantasy fan hates that kind of setting. I recall how many of them trashed FFXII for not being "Final Fantasy" enough.

Quote:
Yoshi p can tell a great story based on what he’s done with 14. I’m just hoping to see more of an open wold. I am impressed with what has been shown in the trailer.
Credit for the story should more rightly go to FFXIV's writers, especially Natsuko Ishikawa. Her work on specific parts of FFXIV's story has been among the best in the series. It seems that Ishikawa won't be involved in FFXVI though. That may be a good or bad thing. We'll have to wait and see.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-22, 04:25   Link #42
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

The trailer didn't seem bad or offensive to me, but whether I end up caring about this game or not solely depends on who ends up writing it. It can have the best gameplay in the whole goddamned world but I won't give a single shit if the story and/or characters have the potential to be a fucking dumpster fire like 13 and 15 were again. Getting burned like I did by both of those titles forcibly taught me to stop getting hyped for any game -- especially if it's one by SE.
Old 2020-09-22, 04:48   Link #43
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

My only wish to XVI storyline is that whoever writer picked by Yoshi-P included good romance sub-plot in it.
A part of me still triggered by how Lunafreya and Noctis DLC cancelled for (obvious) development cost reason; and as someone played old FF it feels weird that romance has been moved into sideline since XII. Hopefully this one will be able to do it.

I wouldn't mind XVI going FFT in narrative but doing it XII way is a no for me because the myth behind it only became significant if you aim for 100% completion and read the bestiary (which I did, LOL) instead of being integral to the whole dynamics once basic politics covered (e.g. using zodiac stone as bargaining tools).
Old 2020-09-22, 07:07   Link #44
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

I keep my neutral-indifferent approach and wait for more because I ususally don't "research" games or study trailers (that much). Tbf, I stopped fanboying FF after 10 as 12+13 just couldn't keep me interested once something more appealing appeared. I didn't hate them, though. 14 was quite amazing, even though I had to force myself to warm up to group content in order to progress the main story (not the game's fault). I didn't bother with 15 at all; nothing of it -- from the little I saw -- did really scream "buy me", but then again my tastes are rather... ... "unique"
Old 2020-09-22, 12:16   Link #45
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I actually liked XIII. Big Lightning fan. When I found out acing the final boss got you the Lightning background for your PS3, that became my entire goal for the game. lol Also thought the battle system was fine. Really liked the strategy behind changing the paradigms.

I haven't played an FF since the first XIII. This may have to be my return.
FFXIII-2 and 3 are both better than FFXIII. Same world, both are sequels in a canonical order and both do a good job of surpassing their predecessors. However, even with aaaaall the flair that is added, the core of the game has stayed the same; buff yourself, debuff the enemy, build up their bar and destroy them when they're broken. It's so linear that I can't honestly enjoy it.

Quote:
My only wish to XVI storyline is that whoever writer picked by Yoshi-P included good romance sub-plot in it.
A part of me still triggered by how Lunafreya and Noctis DLC cancelled for (obvious) development cost reason; and as someone played old FF it feels weird that romance has been moved into sideline since XII. Hopefully this one will be able to do it.

I wouldn't mind XVI going FFT in narrative but doing it XII way is a no for me because the myth behind it only became significant if you aim for 100% completion and read the bestiary (which I did, LOL) instead of being integral to the whole dynamics once basic politics covered (e.g. using zodiac stone as bargaining tools).
With true open-world greatness available, I expect a hell of a lot out of the world map, from small settlements and bustling cities to enormous flying citadels overlooking an entire continent. The dungeoneering aspect of FFXV was very well done for me, keeping vertical maps (in a Dark Souls style) is hard to make, but amazing to behold. Let's just hope FFXVI will hold true to its trailer and remove itself from the crystal wars, that theme's been done to death already.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-22, 18:15   Link #46
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
FFXIII-2 and 3 are both better than FFXIII. Same world, both are sequels in a canonical order and both do a good job of surpassing their predecessors. However, even with aaaaall the flair that is added, the core of the game has stayed the same; buff yourself, debuff the enemy, build up their bar and destroy them when they're broken. It's so linear that I can't honestly enjoy it.
Yeah, the sequels were indeed a lot better than the main installment. They improved pretty much every single aspects. I personally liked the gameplay, it was pretty dynamic.
Old 2020-09-23, 08:39   Link #47
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post

I would definitely love for them to go with a romance subplot. It was one of the things I enjoyed about the ps/ps2 era games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yeah, the sequels were indeed a lot better than the main installment. They improved pretty much every single aspects. I personally liked the gameplay, it was pretty dynamic.
While i hated the play style of 13, I had a much more enjoyable time of 13-2. It's more flexible and you don't have to worry about making small mistakes from time to time like with 13. Where a mistake could easily end a battle, even a small one. Now that i think of it, I never finished 13-3.
Old 2020-09-26, 19:53   Link #48
Galaxian

FFXVI has been given a provisional Pegi 18 rating.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 05:03   Link #49
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Ohhh, that's mean? Gore and more blood?
I'm in~ definitely in~
Old 2020-09-27, 11:14   Link #50
videoman190

It might be the first mainline Final Fantasy with an M rating.
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 17:49   Link #51
cyberdemon

According to Yoshi P, there will be a teaser site up for ff16 at the end of October. Will give info about the characters and the world of ff16.

Also none of the video is prerendered but all in game cutscenes. That is good to know. Means the game is further along than usual for a release announcement. Though apparently it was put together in a rush which affected the quality of the graphics.

Perhaps a late 2021 or Early to mid 2022 is possible.

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2020-09-27 at 18:00.
cyberdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 18:04   Link #52
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Also none of the video is prerendered but all in game cutscenes. That is good to know. Means the game is further along than usual for a release announcement. Though apparently it was put together in a rush which affected the quality of the graphics.
Even the very beginning of the trailer? I seriously doubt that.
Old 2020-10-09, 15:23   Link #53
cyberdemon

accord to SE, they have completed basic development and scenario production on the game already. anyone have any idea how far along that actually means?
Old 2020-10-09, 18:26   Link #54
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
accord to SE, they have completed basic development and scenario production on the game already. anyone have any idea how far along that actually means?
Depends on when they completed those things. Not that I would have a clue either way
Old 2020-10-09, 19:32   Link #55
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

Hmmmm.... 3 more years?
Old 2020-10-09, 20:09   Link #56
cyberdemon

They sound pretty confident that it will be sooner than we expect and I have faith in yoshi p as a director. So I am guessing probably oct/nov 2021
Old 2020-10-09, 22:39   Link #57
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Considering VII Remake development also how XVI itself have title come with it, I wonder if YoshiP will put it on schedule with VII like:

2021 for XVI, 2022 for VII, 2023 for XVI again, ...

If so then such confidence is understandable, sounds like definite plan to manage resource, development cost and feedback that easily the main problem of XIII and XV.
Old 2020-10-10, 17:07   Link #58
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Considering VII Remake development also how XVI itself have title come with it, I wonder if YoshiP will put it on schedule with VII like:

2021 for XVI, 2022 for VII, 2023 for XVI again, ...

If so then such confidence is understandable, sounds like definite plan to manage resource, development cost and feedback that easily the main problem of XIII and XV.
You're saying you think XVI will have several installments? I really hope not.
Old 2020-10-11, 00:43   Link #59
cyberdemon

Maybe dlc but not installments. They’ve given no indication that it is a multi part game
Old 2020-10-13, 14:45   Link #60
Kafriel
Senior Guest

XV got the split episode treatment, it stands to reason that XVI gets the same. It's much easier to expand on an already existing game than to make an entirely new one - even FFVIIR shouldn't go that route.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ps5, rpg