AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Kami nomi/TWGOK - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 36 49.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 20.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 20.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-02, 11:34   Link #41
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I demand that you perverts stay away from Shiori.

She's mine! Go after Kanon or Elsie!
You sure love shy and quiet ones?

Though, Kirino will be an exception
Old 2010-12-02, 12:02   Link #42
ion475
にこにこにー

Quote:
Somehow I found Shiori more interesting than Kanon... is it just my aversion to idol characters?
You're not the only one, although I'm biased since shy, soft-spoken girl are my 2nd favorite type after tsundere...

That and Shiori is voiced by Hanazawa Kana, even though it does sounds a little bit different from Kuroneko / Kanade...

As for pacing...pretty sure Kanon arc is even slower than this with the attempt to sell CDs...
Old 2010-12-02, 12:50   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This has got to be my favorite episode of the series so far. The series left me rather indifferent until now, but this episode hit all the right spots. The overall atmosphere of this episode was wonderful. The music, the dialogues, the setting... everything was almost perfect.

Oh god, Shiori is like the second coming of Nadeko. Actually, she's more like a mix between Nadeko and the Literature girl. SO MOE I'M GONNA DIE! I love these type of shy, soft-spoken, cute, petite and smart characters so much. I've noticed many people were disappointed HanaKana got the role, I'd really like to know what you guys' first choices would have been. I can't think of anyone better than her for this role. Then again, I'm one of the biggest HanaKana fanboy around so I'm far from being objective here.

Eh, so that's where that whole fire truck meme comes from. Oh, Elsie, you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I demand that you perverts stay away from Shiori.

She's mine! Go after Kanon or Elsie!
No! Never!
Old 2010-12-02, 13:00   Link #44
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigsig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
Actually manga readers could have just as much reason to complain.
probably, but most of them are Shiori's fans so..
More likely that there's just a higher concentration of Shiori fans in this thread. Most manga fans are too busy repressing their anger that a first-season appearance of "you know who" has been denied due to wasting too much time on Kanon and Shiori. If you notice, the episode threads activity has dropped since it was revealed in the spoiler thread just how many episodes Shiori is getting...

It could also be that Shiori fans are just more worked up and vocal, since she's also getting much more "discussion" (more like fangirling) on the various manga-centered threads across the web... MangaFox's spoiler thread in particular is pretty much unreadable...
Old 2010-12-02, 14:08   Link #45
Qikz

Looking forward to how this arc will turn out. bungaku shoujos are always interesting characters.
Old 2010-12-02, 15:23   Link #46
Seihai
スマイリウム

I'm sure the next episode will cover quite a bit of stuff happening compared to Kanon's middle episode and this first episode, so I hope it'll be less boring for others.
Not sure about the ending of the arc though. And I can already see people being disappointed with the last episode of the season.
Argh, must think positive!
Old 2010-12-02, 16:41   Link #47
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

Oh my god, I think I'm in love. Shiori's so cute. <3

I haven't read any of the manga, and I thought this ep was done really really well to introduce her.

I just looked this up. What's kind of funny is that Shiori's VA also does another library girl character in another anime.
Old 2010-12-02, 16:43   Link #48
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I like how Shiori is always quiet on the outer appearance (and Elsie not finding it out) but inside her mind she is thinking 2x the speed of a normal person (from Keima himself) never expected Shiori to be this cute in the anime
Old 2010-12-02, 16:56   Link #49
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Pretty much in full agreement here.

Let's get married~
So we both go for shy book reading girls?
Old 2010-12-02, 18:57   Link #50
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Yeah, count me in as Shiori fans as well. I mean, the whole shy and intelligent library girl, with the love for books and spending time mostly thinking in her head, trying to form sentences, it really resonates well to me. Perhaps I'm biased because of that, but I don't feel the episode is dragging, sure the whole thinking on her head and books are (everything) may seems long, but it fits her character. But really, not only does the library is amazing to be that big, what's more amazing is that Shiori has read through them all...Is that even physically possible?

Oh, and of course: Firetruck! Firetruck! Firetrucking Firetruck!
Old 2010-12-02, 22:47   Link #51
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

This episode was beautiful and a masterpiece. Shiori was cute, adorable and loveable. Kudos to her VA Kana Hanazawa. This episode had a deep meaning for me as I can relate to Shiori about the beauty of books and the words they have. I was once a shy bookworm who didn’t talk to people that much and I would read books in the library for hours if I had the time. Reading a new book was an exciting adventure for me since I would be engrossed on what was on it. It wouldn’t matter if it was a story, a bio, an article, a subject, history or anything as anything that was on the book was something I couldn’t stop reading. I could understand about her love for books and the worlds they bring you into and the joys they give you. And her pain of knowing to depart good books is something I can relate since it reminds me on how today's society doesn’t appreciate books and the words and feelings it gives. Sure, you can read a lot of books online but nothing beats the feeling of having a paper book in your hand and reading it on your sofa or bed. I would like to thank what books have given us before the internet came and the things it have done for us.

(Sorry for being nostalgic and philosophical.)

Anyway, the music used for this episode was beautiful and was perfect for the situation that was happening. And I felt it was romantic when Keima was with Shiori especially when he helped her. Shiori Inner monologues were great since it gives us an idea what she’s saying from her point of view and what happening in the present at the same time. It also helps that’s how I once felt when I was shy and talking to people and trying to find the right words to say. Shiori is indeed the bookworm surrogate.

I give this masterpiece 10 out of 10, a reward it deserves.

PS: Firetrucks, HO!

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2010-12-03 at 01:51.
Old 2010-12-02, 22:58   Link #52
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

THIS EPISODE MORE THAN MADE UP FOR THE KANON ARC.

that's all i can say for now, i'm still speechless from what i had just saw
Old 2010-12-03, 00:21   Link #53
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

If only real girls work this way...
Old 2010-12-03, 00:36   Link #54
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Excellent episode.

Plot-wise, I admire how carefully detailed and smoothly developed everything has been in this anime so far, and this episode is by no means an exception.

However, one of my concerns after the very fast-paced first episode for this anime is that it would become the romantic comedy/eroge equivalent of the "monster of the week" formula so common in magical girl shows. In other words, instead of a "monster of the week", we'd have a "girl of the week", which for me would really take away from the overall impact of this anime.

By slowing things down a bit and giving each girl some chance to shine, it's made their respective arcs that much more gratifying and rewarding, in my opinion. I particularly found this with Kanon, and I'm confident that I'll find this with Shiori too.

I loved all the internal monologue that we had from Shiori. It really helped to flesh out her character. Her thoughts on books were very compelling and poetic, and is probably the best argument for reading books that I've seen since I watched LeVar Burton's Reading Rainbow as a kid many moons ago.

Overall, a truly wonderful episode.
Old 2010-12-03, 01:42   Link #55
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Excellent episode.

Plot-wise, I admire how carefully detailed and smoothly developed everything has been in this anime so far, and this episode is by no means an exception.

However, one of my concerns after the very fast-paced first episode for this anime is that it would become the romantic comedy/eroge equivalent of the "monster of the week" formula so common in magical girl shows. In other words, instead of a "monster of the week", we'd have a "girl of the week", which for me would really take away from the overall impact of this anime.

By slowing things down a bit and giving each girl some chance to shine, it's made their respective arcs that much more gratifying and rewarding, in my opinion. I particularly found this with Kanon, and I'm confident that I'll find this with Shiori too.

I loved all the internal monologue that we had from Shiori. It really helped to flesh out her character. Her thoughts on books were very compelling and poetic, and is probably the best argument for reading books that I've seen since I watched LeVar Burton's Reading Rainbow as a kid many moons ago.

Overall, a truly wonderful episode.
Problem is, the manga is a girl-of-the-week setup, only the story is well-written enough that it's still able to give every girl their opportunity to shine before sending them on their way out of the picture (some more permanently than others). There's no need to drag out the individual arcs, and if any girls in this season's batch did need more time, it would have been Ayumi and Mio, who were short-changed in the manga as well; certainly not Kanon and Shiori...

The real stars of the show, though, are Keima, Elsie, and the small band of irregulars (that eventually grows not so small) that do reappear from arc to arc. It's in many ways the anti-moe series, in that it uses its snarky, genre-savvy lead to poke fun at the very moe archetypes he's made to capture, both overtly and subtly. I'm not supposed to watch this series and go "d'awwwww...", I'm supposed to watch it and either laugh my ass off (sometimes at the expense of those who do regularly go "d'awwwww") or cheer Keima along in his magnificent (if inconsistent) bastardry and overblown angst at being forced to kiss cute girls.

The anime adaptation is turning this series into something it's not, and that is why it's failing in its pace and in the ratings. Its wrongheaded execution is excellent nearly without exception, which only makes the lost opportunity more heartbreaking. You don't have to look any farther than a character poll on the author's website, that, even though it was clearly flooded with anime watcher votes, still ended up awarding 2nd place (10 votes behind Elsie) not to a capture arc heroine, but to one of those aforementioned "irregulars", who hasn't even shown up on the anime yet.

Cute girl anime are a dime a dozen. TWGOK is (was?) something special. When will adaptations learn not to stray from perfection...?

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2010-12-03 at 01:56.
Old 2010-12-03, 02:34   Link #56
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Problem is, the manga is a girl-of-the-week setup, only the story is well-written enough that it's still able to give every girl their opportunity to shine before sending them on their way out of the picture (some more permanently than others).
I'm not going to comment on how well-written the manga is because I haven't read it. Perhaps if I had read it before watching this anime, my views would be closer to yours. It's obvious that a lot of the fans of the manga aren't liking some of the creative choices that this anime has made, so there's probably something to be said for your arguments. I can certainly see how it would be frustrating if you like something for being anti-something and the anime adaptation turns out to be pro-that same something. I say this because, to me, this anime feels very pro-moe. In fact, it feels like this anime is making a play for Clannad fans. How wise a move that is, I don't know. However, to be honest, it's a big part of why I like this anime. I like moe, as most people here probably know.

Quote:
There's no need to drag out the individual arcs, and if any girls in this season's batch did need more time, it would have been Ayumi and Mio, who were short-changed in the manga as well; certainly not Kanon and Shiori...
I can't speak to Shiori having three episodes yet (as we've only seen one), but I liked Kanon, and I liked her arc. Maybe they could have cut out some songs and brought it down to two episodes, and it would have worked even better that way. I'll concede that.

Anyway, I might be in the minority in liking Kanon and Shiori and their arcs (so far in Shiori's case), but if so, so be it. That's not going to change what I like about this anime.

This anime is suffering a bit right now, at least in part, due to simple competition.

Having this released the same season as Ore no Imouto came out was simply bad timing, as both shows have very similar sorts of appeal and target audiences.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-12-03 at 08:20.
Old 2010-12-03, 04:17   Link #57
Pocky Yoshi
Disabled By Request

I literally wanted to hug Shiori tightly after watching this....10/10
Old 2010-12-03, 05:52   Link #58
mtarzaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

I can't speak to Shiori having three episodes yet (as we've only seen one

This anime is suffering a bit right now. at least in part, due to simple competition.

Having this released the same season as Ore no Imouto came out was simply bad timing, as both shows have very similar sorts of appeal and target audiences.
Judging by your last post about books and computer age, the next episode will give you even more reason to love Shiori more.

My main regret about this anime adaption is that Manglobe are idiots.

When so many shows are fighting to give material to their viewers while not catching up with the manga (the top 3 shonen to illustrate a little), we have a 120+ chapters manga adapted at the same snail pace.

Why is it so hard to use 60 chapters for a single season, wait some time (let's say one year), then go again for 26 episodes, and so on.
We would have got a wonderful adaptation here, but Manglobe are (is?) loosing it all, because they planned it as a usual success anime, with a usual 1 chap = 1 ep non-sense.

Old 2010-12-03, 09:46   Link #59
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Interesting.

I consider TWGOK to be a light-hearted parody of moe, not anti-moe, and not pro-moe. More of an affectionate mockery of moe. So we get to have our cake (moe girls) and eat it too (laugh at the silliness of it all).

I will admit the anime so far has toned down the mockery quite a bit, but it is still there. For example in this episode when Keima was complaining to Elsie about the proper traits of a sidekick character and Elsie replies that it makes Keima the perfect sidekick. Keima then gets angry at Elsie making herself the main character.

Except, that you could easily see this as Elsie being the main character. She has a quest. She's a bit of a bumbler, but is making up for it through determination and by recruiting a competent sidekick...

That's some good meta humor there about the silliness of the "normal" male main character at the center of the Unwanted Harem genre. Why is he never interesting himself? How does such a boring character become the center of a show? It's always the sidekick characters that are interesting. But not in TWGOK.

I think the extra episodes are fine from a pacing stand point. I don't mind giving three episodes to Kanon and Shiori. My concern is that the arc I wanted to get to would make a really good hook to draw viewers in for the next season, and would be something fans can point to to show that this is more than just a moe show- thus allowing word of mouth to be more effective at drawing in new viewers. If we could go 14 episodes and get it all in I'd be perfectly happy.

Unfortunately it appears they will not be doing that.

Still the second season is already planned, so we'll have to wait for that to set the hook- it's just I'd prefer for the hook to be set in the first season. I think even people who are enjoying the current arcs can understand this concern.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-12-03, 09:54   Link #60
klare

bungaku shoujo is not bad, tho i like sporty ones more, but the best is devil sister

nice eps, the way they show Shiori inner struggle is interesting as well
Closed Thread