AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 10 17.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 31 53.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 17.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.72%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-23, 02:37   Link #21
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Yeah that makes sense to me.
D: I am the type of poster that edits his posts over 9000 times so you might wanna slow down on the quoting
Old 2011-09-23, 02:38   Link #22
Kazu-kun

One thing to note is that Masako knew Ringo only had half the diary (in episode 10), so even if she wasn't the one who stole the other half, she seems to be in contact with whoever did it.
Old 2011-09-23, 02:40   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
D: I am the type of poster that edits his posts over 9000 times so you might wanna slow down on the quoting
Heh. I can relate to that, as I'm that type of poster myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post

UNLESS, and this is a big one way out there but I would love it if it was true, Kanba is so epic that he fucking crossdresses and puts pads on to put off trailers and stalkers. He would have had enough reason to because he already knew about the memory wiping attacker. And well, he seems to be more involved with the penguins than he lets on as he wasn't surprised whatsoever by them and interrogates Masako if she got the penguin balls "from that place"?????
lol That would be very bad ass, if he went that far to throw trailers and stalkers off.

I kind of hope this is true. I like the idea of Kanba as the relentless guy who will stop at practically nothing to save his sister.
Old 2011-09-23, 02:43   Link #24
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
One thing to note is that Masako knew Ringo only had half the diary (in episode 10), so even if she wasn't the one who stole the other half, she seems to be in contact with whoever did it.
I wouldn't say she is in contact necessarily but that she knew the diary was stolen because she was keeping tabs on Ringo and the diary most likely. (actually, there is a detail that can be stretched here too. The caller that called Ringo asked her to bring "the diary" and drop it and the one who picked it up was Masako. The texter that texted Kanba asked to hand over "the half of the diary". They could, if they were desperate, play the two to be different people etc. but I don't think they are gonna or would need to and that's cheap as hell and something I severely dislike...)

She did plan the attack on the hospital the next day so she definitely saw or somehow came to know about the "accident" and thus, the stealing.
Old 2011-09-23, 02:47   Link #25
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

What is the curse that Masako was mentioning about? Also wonder what happen between her and Kanba. There's a secret Kanba is hiding that Masako knows. So many questions and not enough answers.
Old 2011-09-23, 03:26   Link #26
calorie

Why would the love frog part be any more of an illusion/fantasy than say, the Penguin Queen or the penguins or anything else that is surreal in this anime?
Old 2011-09-23, 03:53   Link #27
Blaat

As always the Penguins were funny, I liked the Kanba & Sho plots, the Ringo plot was good and watchable as soon as she started to refuse Tabuki's advances before that it was slow, boring, frustrating to watch and I kept thinking to myself "where's Nurse Ratchet when you need her".
The ending was very intense, it's going to be a long week till the next episode.

Still though, I can't help but wonder who has the other half of Momoka's diary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by calorie View Post
Why would the love frog part be any more of an illusion/fantasy than say, the Penguin Queen or the penguins or anything else that is surreal in this anime?
Because in past episodes Ringo had plenty of "didn't happen at all" fantasies involving Tabuki.
Old 2011-09-23, 04:06   Link #28
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Because unlike in Utena where the surreality was everywhere, all over the setting, the penguins are invisible to normal people and the talking hat, Sanetoshi, et al. clearly belong to 'another world' in some sense.

Ringo, an (ostensibly) normal person suddenly being able to use frog magic just feels off.
Old 2011-09-23, 04:08   Link #29
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Because in past episodes Ringo had plenty of "didn't happen at all" fantasies involving Tabuki.
Unless you're referring to those sequences where the characters look like book pop-ups...I think those didn't-happen fantasies (where the animation was "realistic") probably went over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Because unlike in Utena where the surreality was everywhere, all over the setting, the penguins are invisible to normal people and the talking hat, Sanetoshi, et al. clearly belong to 'another world' in some sense.

Ringo, an (ostensibly) normal person suddenly being able to use frog magic just feels off.
It does feel off but there was nothing to indicate that didn't really happen (yet).
Old 2011-09-23, 04:28   Link #30
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Curry made people switch personalties in Utena, and now a love potion in Penguindrum makes people fall in love. I don't see what's wrong with such things happening. There's plenty more to talk about from the events of this weeks episode then that . It's nitpicking.
Old 2011-09-23, 04:46   Link #31
Blaat

Quote:
Unless you're referring to those sequences where the characters look like book pop-ups...I think those didn't-happen fantasies (where the animation was "realistic") probably went over my head.
It probably did remember the curry incident with Yuri in episode 3? Before that she had a realistic didn't-happen fantasy involving Tabuki eating her curry.
Old 2011-09-23, 05:07   Link #32
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFarGone View Post
What is the curse that Masako was mentioning about? Also wonder what happen between her and Kanba. There's a secret Kanba is hiding that Masako knows. So many questions and not enough answers.
It must have something to do with the incident that cause momoka's death. Some how sho, kanba and masako, probably more characters, are involved in it.
Old 2011-09-23, 05:11   Link #33
Kirarakim

Just watched the episode subbed and I definitely enjoyed it even more when I actually understood it.

I take back what I said about disliking Ringo hitting Shouma. Well I didn't like it but the first time was understandable (he was wrong about the diary) and I enjoyed the words that came with the second time.

As for Shouma saying he is to blame for Ringo's death. I really hope Ringo doesn't turn on Shouma but tries to help him like he helped her with Tabuki. I mean for the life of me I can't see how babies can be to blame and it must be that Shouma only think he is to blame. Just like Ringo mistakenly thought that she should become Momo.

Although it does make me think that Shouma and Kanba's parents might be responsible for the Sarin Gas Attacks. Maybe they are in jail? It could also explain why Himari had to leave her school, to protect her for her own safety when news of their parents got out.

Of course I don't know if the story will turn out positively. I remember Shouma talking about sad fate in the first episode.

And yeah it was pretty obvious to me the frog scene was real. Mainly because Ringo turning down Tabuki was an important development for her.

Finally I could see Yuri being the one on the motorcycle who stole the diary possibly!

And I think Kanba has definitely met his match in Masako if what happened between Penguin 1 and Esmerelda is any indication.
Old 2011-09-23, 05:36   Link #34
zeando
maybenotimome

i suspect tabuki was acting all the way about the love potion, i can imagine he and yuri planning a way to make ringo give up on her obsession (i'm on the frog part happened faction xD)
after all that time i find it a bit odd tabuki didn't ever noticed the behavoir of ringo, well we know yuri knows for sure

sure, even if that isn't the case i'm starting to suspect them to be more than suspicious
not to mention yuri got one part of the diary, what use do they have with it? :/ (and wasn't celty=natsume, hospital=yuri??) since they don't seems to be working with natsume,
the way natsume said she has only one part looked like a "we are still missing one, we aren't still complete", if they were working together they would have it complete

about the episode i found it funny in most parts :3
for once i gave attention to the penguins, while usually i often ignored them to focus on the characters :P
so this time i fear to have missed most of the hidden meanings thanks to penguin humour >_> xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirarakim
Although it does make me think that Shouma and Kanba's parents might be responsible for the Sarin Gas Attacks. Maybe they are in jail? It could also explain why Himari had to leave her school, to protect her for her own safety when news of their parents got out.
this doesn't stand, because shouma and kanba are attending school with no problems of the like

Last edited by zeando; 2011-09-23 at 05:54.
Old 2011-09-23, 06:52   Link #35
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That played out exactly as I expected (well, except for the frog bit ). It's been clear ever since Shouma performed CPR on Ringo in Tabuki's stead that those two were fated to be together, and their interaction over the course of the series only confirmed it. It was only a matter of time before this happened. I'm glad Ringo's finally given up on Tabuki, but I hope whatever Sho is about to reveal to her won't tear them apart.

I'm dying to find out why Sho is convinced he and his brother are to blame for the attack 16 years ago, as I can't imagine how they could be responsible for it. At any rate, the gas attack (or whatever truly happened that day) is the key to the plot. Even Masako is aware of it ("the curse from 16 years ago").

Speaking of Masako, she is becoming more and more entertaining. I said last week she could give Ringo a run for her money when it came to stalking, but now I think she's above her level. That painting
She only has one half of the diary, and I agree that Yuri is most likely the one who's got the other half. She always conveniently shows up at the right time and she seem to know too much to be a simple spectator in this story.

The penguins were very funny once again this week, particularly Esmeralda raping #1 and #2 performing his own special gas attack.
Old 2011-09-23, 07:09   Link #36
zeando
maybenotimome

i've checked too the past diary parts and it feels very odd :/
ok the biker wasn't natsume, but neither the one who picked up the diary from the hospital looked like her O_o (different siluette) and it looked really like yuri :/
so
celty (turtle d. part)= ? (not natsume) (from exclusion i suppose yuri)
hospital (front d. part) = diary owned by natsume, but it was a different person to pick it up :/ (so yuri again ? ... o_O')

and there are more parts which don't match...
-the calls while in the ospital (looked like done by 2 different persons)
-natsume knowing about the first part being stolen(actually turtle part, so the latter), even if it wasn't her to stole it :/
-and from the calls the second diary picker(the one who contacted only ringo) didn't knew the diary got divided

the only form it makes sense to me is the previous prevision but with the diary swapper for some unknown reasons...
-celty: natsume
-hospital: yuri
-diary parts swapped for some random reasons :/
but this looks very unlikely...

the problem here is if i have to trust my intuition i would go with the previous prevision, but the direct facts are telling me it is wrong :/
so or i follow intuition and bend facts around it, or trash intuition and follow facts with no speculations :| there is for sure something i'm missing....

Last edited by zeando; 2011-09-23 at 07:28.
Old 2011-09-23, 07:53   Link #37
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post

this doesn't stand, because shouma and kanba are attending school with no problems of the like
why not? We only see Himari leave school. We don't know what happened to Shouma and Kanba at the same time. It could also be that she had to switch schools because of what happened.

Himari is not at school In the present because of her illness. But I feel the scene of her leaving school in episode 9 was something entirely different. Although perhaps, she got sick soon after that and never returned to school.

On another note if Kan, Sho, & Himari's parents are somehow responsible for the Sarin Gas attacks, I would guess it might be to save their baby sons. Of course I don't see how this is possible at this point.

I was also thinking it's possible their parents are not in jail but they left home to protect their children. Perhaps so they wouldn't be associated with what their parents did.
Old 2011-09-23, 08:37   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Honestly, the frog thing working didn't bother me in the least.

There are definite elements of "magical realism" in both Sailor Moon and Revolutionary Girl Utena, so I'm not sure why anybody would be surprised to see them here in Mawaru Penguindrum as well. Especially given what we already had in MPD before the frog thing worked.
Old 2011-09-23, 08:40   Link #39
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

This episode really moved the plot forward, and I must say it's one of the best episodes yet. A bunch of interesting stuff, but what this episode confirmed (at least for me) was one simple (and I'm sure some will say obvious/predictable) revelation:

Everything in this story revolves around the death of Momoka.

The questions are numerous, but one sticks in my head the most: if Ringo truly believed she was the reincarnation of her dead sister, then why did she think she had to become her if she already was her?

The only thing I can think of is that she really did mean it literally, that she really was trying to literally become Momoka. I'd bet that the reason why we never saw any pictures of Momoka, and even in the flashback all we get is a shadow, is because it would have given it away too soon. Give what away? That Ringo (my speculation here) looks almost, if not completely, identical to her sister.
Old 2011-09-23, 08:42   Link #40
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Never would see the day when I'd be glad that the childhood friend does NOT do the deed. Well played Ikuhara, for making ShoXRingo feel natural together. Can't help but squee when Ringo was hitting Sho because she didn't want to be honest with her feelings, on BOTH occassions.

And... Kanba said something to Masako when they were kids? That it's this that possibly made Masako turn to a stalker that puts even Ringo to shame? Well I'd be damned... if I can't get one childhood friend duo, at least I have 2 more as back up.

I wonder though, did Kanba saying to Masako have anything to do with the word 'fate'? And that's the reason why Kanba hates the word, because it was something he said 'foolishly as a child'? Interesting...

And boy, Yuri was so... I dunno the word... Gar? Closest thing I can think of (but don't quite fit), but man, she was so cool when she said "Fine, take Tabuki away. But are you gonna be happy with that?" or something like that. Absolute conviction in her words, even when her fiancee was blabbering about cheating on her on the other side of the door. Awesome.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Closed Thread