ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Two Mexican journalists found dismembered in eastern Mexico
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8421GS20120503
Old 2012-05-03, 20:13   Link #21242
GundamFan0083

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Well, I can tell what side of the fence this idiot writer leans on. How does this situation destroy the Occupy movement at all? If this is all it took, then couldn't someone do the same thing and say they're Tea Party, or GOP, and "blow it to smitherines" too?

Yeah, this guy's definitely a biased fool.
Here's the CNN article on the same story.

5 arrested in alleged plot to blow up Cleveland-area bridge

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-05-01/j...?_s=PM:JUSTICE

This is a bit disturbing to me:

U.S. Troops In Neighboorhood Streets Fully Armed

http://libertarianreview.us/2012/04/...s-fully-armed/

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2012-05-03 at 21:03.
Old 2012-05-04, 04:27   Link #21243
PzIVf3

China violated Indian airspace in March: Govt
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-...e1-849505.aspx
Old 2012-05-04, 04:42   Link #21244
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Facebook plans to raise $10.6 billion in mega IPO
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8400PW20120504
Old 2012-05-04, 05:59   Link #21245
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Argentine Olympic advert riles Falklands

You know, the more they do this, the less are people are going to support Argentina.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:47   Link #21246
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

The fact they filmed this kind of ad on the falklands without permission was kinda boorish of them.

But the fact that this ad that's claiming Argentinian sovereignty was partly filmed on a goddamned war memorial for english servicemen who'd died in the first world war is absolutely disgusting.

Perhaps English athletes should prepare for the Olympics by rubbing their sweaty ball sacks over Argentinian War memorials.
Old 2012-05-04, 06:59   Link #21247
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

You know, the more they do this, the less are people are going to support Argentina.
Who are supporting their claim beside some other south-american countries and fews ( if not only one ) celebrity ? I doubt than they would be influenced by such thing.
Old 2012-05-04, 10:41   Link #21248
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

What is the opinion in Argentina about this? I've heard that there is a lot of support for claiming sovereignty over the Falklands but I want to be sure. What are Argentinians opinions on the Falklander's right to self determination?
Old 2012-05-04, 11:02   Link #21249
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

East Asians short-sighted due to snubbing outdoors
Quote:
Paris (May 4, Fri): Snubbing the outdoors for books, video games and TV is the reason up to nine in 10 school-leavers in big East Asian cities are near-sighted, according to a study published today.

Neither genes nor the mere increase in activities like reading and writing is to blame, the researchers suggest, but a simple lack of sunlight.

Exposure to the sun's rays is believed to stimulate production of the chemical dopamine, which in turn stops the eyeball from growing elongated and distorting the focus of light entering the eye.

"It's pretty clear that it is bright light stimulating dopamine release which prevents myopia," researcher Ian Morgan of the Australian National University told AFP of the findings published in The Lancet medical journal.

The average primary school pupil in Singapore, where up to nine in 10 young adults are myopic, spent about only 30 minutes outdoors every day, compared to three hours for children in Australia, where the myopia prevalence among children of European origin is about 10 per cent.

The figure in Britain was about 30 to 40 per cent, and in Africa "virtually none" — in the range of two to three per cent, according to Professor Morgan.

More than other groups, children in East Asia "basically go to school (and) don't go outside at school; they go home and they stay inside. They study and they watch television," he said.

The most myopic school-leavers in the world were found in cities in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and South Korea, where between 80 and 90 per cent were affected. Of these, 10 to 20 per cent had a condition called high myopia, which can lead to blindness.

"Most of what we've seen in East Asia is due to the environment. It is not genetic," said Prof Morgan, contrary to the common belief 50 years ago.

AFP
In my case, I started wearing glasses when I was nine, but I was actually short-sighted long before then, just that I didn't realise. Street lamps were fuzzy glowing smudges in the dark (they were literally fuzzballs of light, a lot like will-o'-the-wisps; heck, maybe that's how those mythological creatures were "born" — they were sighted by myopic individuals! ) and everything else in the distance was a hazy blur during the day, but I thought it was normal.

I fondly remember the first time I put on my glasses. It was comical, because I exclaimed to my mother: "Wow, I'm wearing magnifying glasses!"
Old 2012-05-04, 11:08   Link #21250
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
What is the opinion in Argentina about this? I've heard that there is a lot of support for claiming sovereignty over the Falklands but I want to be sure. What are Argentinians opinions on the Falklander's right to self determination?
The BBC article has a video where some interviewed Argentinians thought highly of the publicity ad.

Though this article claims that not as many Argentinians care about the Falklands as much anymore, despite the fact they think they should have the islands.
Old 2012-05-04, 12:33   Link #21251
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

BEASTIE BOYS' MCA Dead at 47

While I never liked rap, the Beastie Boys had some pretty good stuff. R.I.P. Adam.

Endless "Sabotage" Soul
Old 2012-05-04, 13:27   Link #21252
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post

In my case, I started wearing glasses when I was nine, but I was actually short-sighted long before then, just that I didn't realise. Street lamps were fuzzy glowing smudges in the dark (they were literally fuzzballs of light, a lot like will-o'-the-wisps; heck, maybe that's how those mythological creatures were "born" — they were sighted by myopic individuals! ) and everything else in the distance was a hazy blur during the day, but I thought it was normal.

I fondly remember the first time I put on my glasses. It was comical, because I exclaimed to my mother: "Wow, I'm wearing magnifying glasses!"
I was born with oblong eyeballs and an eye problems, had to wear glasses when I was 3. Without it, everything is pixellated like mosaic.

I blame the rapid urbanisation of Asian cities to the lack of outdoors, everywhere there is a shelter and kids nowadays shirk at the prospect of having hot sunlight shone on them.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-05-04, 13:30   Link #21253
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Doctors could tell if you would be near-sighted at the age of one over 30 years ago.
Old 2012-05-04, 13:43   Link #21254
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I had to wear glasses at 12 or so... Yeah, I'm going to blame lack of sunlight.
Old 2012-05-04, 13:49   Link #21255
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

While I never liked rap, the Beastie Boys had some pretty good stuff. R.I.P. Adam.

Endless "Sabotage" Soul
This sucks. Ive been a Beastie's fan for a long long time, I knew he had cancer but I didn't know how bad it was. RIP MCA. Here's hoping you're fighting for your right to party in the afterlife.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-05-04, 14:13   Link #21256
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:

Now... if sunlight could reverse myopia instead of just prevent, I would be outside all day every day.

I'm sick of wearing glasses. So uncomfortable. Now I can't even see my computer screen without glasses anymore.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
Old 2012-05-04, 14:40   Link #21257
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:

Ugh, I hate glasses. I only wear my contacts when I have to, otherwise I prefer to view the world as an impressionist painting. It makes women look more attractive sometimes because then you can't see the subtle acne and other unsightly features on their faces.
Old 2012-05-04, 18:57   Link #21258
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Bodies of 23 found dumped near U.S. border in Mexico drug war
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8431D120120504
Old 2012-05-04, 23:09   Link #21259
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post

Endless "Sabotage" Soul
Today is a sad day for all of us Beastie Boys fans. R.I.P. Adam.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:15   Link #21260
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Two Mexican journalists found dismembered in eastern Mexico
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8421GS20120503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Bodies of 23 found dumped near U.S. border in Mexico drug war
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8431D120120504
I'm starting to seriously think we should be in Mexico fighting the cartels than fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international