Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-25, 19:00   Link #1
Pinpin
-3-

Anime (Comedy) & Manga (Fantasy) Recs

Its summer and I'm looking for an "easy" anime to watch; i.e., funny, requires no brainpower, and with a hint of slice of life. I'm also looking for a fantasy-like manga to read.

I have a list for comparison and I'm looking some similar anime & manga that're on my lists.
Anime I've watched:
- Azumanga Daioh
- Ichigo Mashimaro (and all its extras)
- K-On! & K-On!!
- Kannagi
- Lucky Star
- Minami-ke
- Ouran High School Host Club
- School Rumble & School Rumble Ni Gakki
- Taisho Yakyuu Musume
- Toradora (it has a bit of drama in it, but I really liked it)

Manga I've read:
- Mahou Sensei Negima!
- Ultra Maniac
- xxxHolic

Thanks!
Old 2010-07-25, 19:47   Link #2
jedinat

Anime:
Arakawa Under the Bridge
Working!!

Manga:
Id
Kanata Kara
Hoshi no Samidare
Old 2010-07-25, 20:03   Link #3
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Manga:

1/2 Prince - You will die laugh from this one at times. It is also a manhua
+Anima
Fairy Tale
Rave Master

Both Fairy Tale and Rave are made by the same guy, MASHIMA Hiro.

If you have seen this little guy around, he is from Rave Master. Please note that the anime doesn't even complete the Rave series. It stops like 1/4 of the way through e-e so do not even bother watching it IMO.
Old 2010-07-25, 21:05   Link #4
Pinpin
-3-

Thanks for the recs!

I'm currently watching Working!!
I've tried watching Shakugan no Shana (only 7 minutes into episode 1) and the Boondocks (watched some episodes when I was 13) but I can never really get into either. I'll look into Rave Master and +Anima (cousin told me to check it out) since it isn't the first time I was recommended with those.
Old 2010-07-25, 21:06   Link #5
the hispanic viewer

You should really try Fruits Basket. Its a great anime
Old 2010-07-25, 23:10   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'd throw Seitokai no Ichizon and Baka-Test in for anime - both smart comedies that don't require any great effort to enjoy. For managa, I'm very much enjoying Arata - a very interesting parallel world fantasy.
Old 2010-07-26, 07:17   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hidamari Sketch and its two sequels fall into "cute girls go to high school" genre first popularized by Azumanga Daioh. The second sequel is unlicensed; the first two installments are not.

If you liked Lucky*Star, you might want to give The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi a try. You'll see where some of the references in Lucky*Star came from, since both shows were produced by Kyoto Animation, and both featured the same voice actor, Hirano Aya, in the starring roles.

Finally, since it's summer time (at least here in the Northern Hemisphere), you might want to try Summer Wars or Cross Game. The first is a movie that's a bit tough to explain but funny with some romance and spectacular animation. Cross Game is a slice-of-life romantic comedy about high schoolers who love baseball. It's been licensed and being streamed legally by VIZ.
Old 2010-07-26, 10:40   Link #8
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Hidamari Sketch and its two sequels fall into "cute girls go to high school" genre first popularized by Azumanga Daioh. The second sequel is unlicensed; the first two installments are not.

If you liked Lucky*Star, you might want to give The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi a try. You'll see where some of the references in Lucky*Star came from, since both shows were produced by Kyoto Animation, and both featured the same voice actor, Hirano Aya, in the starring roles.

Finally, since it's summer time (at least here in the Northern Hemisphere), you might want to try Summer Wars or Cross Game. The first is a movie that's a bit tough to explain but funny with some romance and spectacular animation. Cross Game is a slice-of-life romantic comedy about high schoolers who love baseball. It's been licensed and being streamed legally by VIZ.

All 3 of those I have heard good things about. I may also check them out for myself as well. I definitely recommend Melancholy because I have not really heard any bad things about it.
Old 2010-07-26, 12:55   Link #9
RenaRay

Light/easy anime with comedy:
Baka to Test to Shokanju
Nyan Koi!

Light but not that funny:
Aria
Sketchbook ~full color's~
Hidamari Sketch
Kokoro Library

Mix of light slice-of-life and drama:
Kobato
Fruits Basket
Nanatsuiro Drops
Ah! My Goddess TV
Telepathy Shoujo Ran
Mokke

Short but cute mini-episodes:
Chi's Sweet Home and Chi's New Home / Address
Yutori-Chan
Bottle Fairy
Di Gi Charat

Manga:
Yotsuba

Also Ookami-san currently running has moments of drama or action but the majority of the content seems to have a lighter atmosphere with humour.

(EDIT: Oops didn't realise you already mentioned Ichigo Mashimaro and also refiled Bottle Fairy into mini-episodes)
Old 2010-07-27, 03:03   Link #10
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I highly second Working, Seitokai no Ichizon, and Nyan Koi! for the comedy.

Also maybe B Gata H Kei, it's romance as well, but it's good bit of comedy too.
MAL
Old 2010-07-27, 19:11   Link #11
Pinpin
-3-

Thanks for the recs everyone! I really found Working!! to be highly enjoyable. Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu is fun to watch too (currently watching it). Having a hard time finishing episode 1 of Seitokai no Ichizon though.

I've also seen The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and Aria, both I found to be a must-see.
Old 2010-07-27, 21:31   Link #12
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

SnI gets much, much better after the first episode. The style sort of sucks you in and once you're involved, you're hooked.
Closed Thread

Tags
anime, comedy, fantasy, manga, summer